Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Harpy wrote: »
    Have aiken said anything today regarding the concerts? Its been so quite today are the concerts cancelled now or are they still working on it?

On another note has anyone who booked a non-refundable hotel had any joy with cancelling? i have a non refundable room booked wondeing is there any chance of getting my money back at all? depressed enough as it is, losing 300€ on a hotel room will be fantastic on top of this..

Its been cancelled since last tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

3 gigs taking place ?

After GB saying 5 or nothing. Squeeze 2 shows into 2 days days and that was shot down.

Three gigs and GB is essentially telling 160,000 people to f off.

Not a hope.

Zero concerts and he's telling 240,000 to f off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

You can always stay in the hotel and do other things in Dublin!

Yeah was thinking of going to dirty dancing but no one else im goin with wants to go.. Its two triple rooms i had booked but i paid for it on my card so if say only two of us went up it would end up being a very expensive stay in the hotel for us..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

........ do other things in Dublin!
    It’a not all about Templebar and wearing funny headgear on one of those yellow six axle vehicles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Its been cancelled since last tuesday.

Yeah, but clearly yesterday things changed a bit, you'd think theyd come out and tell people ok its over now time to move on or else come out and say we are continuing to try negotiate a solution with Garth Brooks..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Yeah, but clearly yesterday things changed a bit, you'd think theyd come out and tell people ok its over now time to move on or else come out and say we are continuing to try negotiate a solution with Garth Brooks..

GB won't negotiate so that would be a non runner

This post has been deleted.

yeah good point haha.. ill ring them tomorrow and see if they can do anything, maybe even ask could we change to a later date in the year..
    If they dont budge i guess ill go up, it'll be awfully upsetting if im up in dublin knowing i was meant to be going to garth brooks:( ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

The ship hasn't done a U-turn yet so they still think it's salvageable. How long does a ship take to get from America to Ireland these days anyway?

They had 9 days to sort this mess. They're probably off for the weekend now. Ticketmaster refunds are on tuesday.

That leaves monday. One more day.

Seriously, what miracle do people want ?

Its over.
    And this is coming from the biggest GB fan ever, and I want it more than anyone else in the world. But its over.

• Advertisement

The ship hasn't done a U-turn yet so they still think it's salvageable. How long does a ship take to get from America to Ireland these days anyway?

yeah thats why im tooing and froing if im able to cancel and then he decides to do 3, but i suppose come monday ticketmaster are starting refunds so that'll defo be the end of it..

yeah thats why im tooing and froing if im able to cancel and then he decides to do 3, but i suppose come monday ticketmaster are starting refunds so that'll defo be the end of it..

Yeah, I'd wait until Tuesday anyway before cancelling anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

These concerts will go ahead, I guarantee it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I think I read before that it's about a week to ten days depending on conditions and type of ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,184 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

gugleguy wrote: »
    It’a not all about Templebar and wearing funny headgear on one of those yellow six axle vehicles.

Edit... misread your post :o

They had 9 days to sort this mess. They're probably off for the weekend now. Ticketmaster refunds are on tuesday.

That leaves monday. One more day.

Seriously, what miracle do people want ?

Its over.
    And this is coming from the biggest GB fan ever, and I want it more than anyone else in the world. But its over.

I like keep trying to be like its over but then any bit of news i get my little hopes up and then they're dashed again..

At least there's still the world tour, if he goes to england ill be trying to get tickets for that..

fedor.2. wrote: »

All 5? Over 5 nights?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,184 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHh0V7UjVXI

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Can another artist apply for a license for Monday and Tuesday night. Then have garth as a "special guest".
    Thus the city manager saves face
    5 concerts go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭onlyme!

The worlds media are watching croke park at the minute, waiting, hoping for white smoke!

• Advertisement

meercat wrote: »
    Can another artist apply for a license for Monday and Tuesday night. Then have garth as a "special guest".
    5 concerts go ahead.

Not now they can't. Takes 10 weeks to get a licence.

I like keep trying to be like its over but then any bit of news i get my little hopes up and then they're dashed again..

At least there's still the world tour, if he goes to england ill be trying to get tickets for that..

Forget the news, its speculation and sh!te.

He'll tour the UK and Europe and i'll be there. I might even go sooner to the USA. He'll mend my broken heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

meercat wrote: »
    5 concerts go ahead.

Yeah, I'm sure they could apply, but as the licensing process takes 10 weeks, I don't think they'd get them in time.

Great plan though, I don't think anyone would see through that, or the fact that there would be 5 concerts on 5 consecutive nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Are you the Mexican ambassador?

dinorebel wrote: »
    Are you the Mexican ambassador?

I presume that lad had ticket and that's why he got involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Media focussed on cabinet reshuffle today so I doubt he said much. it wouldn't have gotten any coverage so he would have been wasting his time.

BROOKS BRINGS GOVERNMENT TO BRINK OF COLLAPSE AS RESHUFFLE CALLED TO SORT OUT THE CONCERT PROBLEM.

The Irish Government today was so divided that Brook's supporting Taoiseach, Enda Kenny sacked key ministers opposed to the Brook's economic plan and installed pro Brooks Ministers in an effort to defray the devastating fall out both, economically, politically and under threat of another Dublin invasion that would dwarf the massed armies of the 1916 uprising put together.

The Taoiseach said "that today was a make or break day in the history of Ireland and everything depended on Brooks kneeling before me and I have now cleared the way for that to happen!"

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

It causes damage to Ireland's reputation as a tourism and entertainment hub, when a massive event like this is cancelled because of bureaucratic stupidity. Again, if it was cancelled because of an act of God, it wouldn't make Ireland look bad - it makes Ireland look bad because in this case, it's Ireland's fault, or more specifically, it's the fault of the people who run Ireland. That's why it makes us look ridiculous.

I get what your saying but I have to disagree if you don't mind.

I don't see this as as a massive event being cancelled because of Irelands beaurocracy, I reckon the fault lies completely with aitken promotions trying to over reach themselves because they saw dollar signs.

As regards Ireland's reputation as a tourism and entertainment hub, countless customer reviews on lots of websites (this is in no way way scientific and completely my opinion, cos I reckon!)say that tourists respond to the friendliness of Ireland but are annoyed by the prices businesses charge.

So with that in mind Ireland has been playing to it's strengths by not allowing billion dollar industry to dictate social policy.

In other words I actually think we come off better from not allowing the concerts (I realise that may be an unpopular opinion but thanks for engaging hatrickpatrick).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

So if they don't I can count on a refund for both of my tickets, yeah? Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

stmol32 wrote: »
    I reckon the fault lies completely with aitken promotions trying to over reach themselves because they saw dollar signs.

Yeah, you're right there. It's all Aitken's fault. It's a pity though as Garth said he would have no problem doing just three shows. He even said no problem to three regular shows plus 2 matinees. But then Aitken had to go a ruin it by saying garth had to play all five nights or nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

muddypaws wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm sure they could apply, but as the licensing process takes 10 weeks, I don't think they'd get them in time.

Great plan though, I don't think anyone would see through that, or the fact that there would be 5 concerts on 5 consecutive nights.

No licence needed for a sports event however just have some kind of fake sports game then have Brooks on as the half time show ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement