Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

jjbrien wrote: »
    No licence needed for a sports event however just have some kind of fake sports game then have Brooks on as the half time show ;)

Thats it, you've cracked it, call the Mexican Ambassador immediately :)

Its actually not the most outlandish suggestion that I've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

No licence needed for a sports event however just have some kind of fake sports game then have Brooks on as the half time show ;)

So then are you going to print and sell new tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

muddypaws wrote: »
    Thats it, you've cracked it, call the Mexican Ambassador immediately :)

Its actually not the most outlandish suggestion that I've heard.
    The people with pitch tickets might be a giveaway that its not a real game :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Ace2007 wrote: »
    So then are you going to print and sell new tickets?

Im sure Aiken and ticketmaster would issue new tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

fedor.2. wrote: »
    These concerts will go ahead, I guarantee it.

With Goldylocks and the 3 Bears as the backing band

• Advertisement

Peppa Pig wrote: »

Can have a tennis game on the stage who says the field needs to be used LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

stmol32 wrote: »
    I get what your saying but I have to disagree if you don't mind.
    We're all entitled :)
    I don't see this as as a massive event being cancelled because of Irelands beaurocracy, I reckon the fault lies completely with aitken promotions trying to over reach themselves because they saw dollar signs.

As regards Ireland's reputation as a tourism and entertainment hub, countless customer reviews on lots of websites (this is in no way way scientific and completely my opinion, cos I reckon!)say that tourists respond to the friendliness of Ireland but are annoyed by the prices businesses charge.

So with that in mind Ireland has been playing to it's strengths by not allowing billion dollar industry to dictate social policy.

I would suggest that 400,000+ people are having their freedom and entitlement trampled by a couple of dozen nymbys. Blaming it on an industry that brings great artists to Ireland every month is bizarre and smacks more than anything of anti capitalist rationalisation more than anything.
    In other words I actually think we come off better from not allowing the concerts (I realise that may be an unpopular opinion but thanks for engaging hatrickpatrick).
    None of the foreign coverage seems to come to this upside down way of thinking. Our image is being dragged back to our pigs in the parlour days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Harpy wrote: »
    Yeah, but clearly yesterday things changed a bit, you'd think theyd come out and tell people ok its over now time to move on or else come out and say we are continuing to try negotiate a solution with Garth Brooks..

Nada changed, TM have had extra staff in the last 2 days and will be in for the next 2 weeks doing the refunds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    Can have a tennis game on the stage who says the field needs to be used LOL

I was actually thinking ping pong, even smaller area needed for the actual sport. And it would have to be up on a stage, so that the spectators could all see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Piliger wrote: »
    I would suggest that 400,000+ people are having their freedom and entitlement trampled by a couple of dozen nymbys.

I know this thread jumped the shark days ago but he's gone and jumped back to the other side again. Freedom, seriously? If only Martin Luther King or Nelson Mandella were still alive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

muddypaws wrote: »
    I was actually thinking ping pong, even smaller area needed for the actual sport. And it would have to be up on a stage, so that the spectators could all see it.

You'd probably have to let Brooks win. He'd storm off in huff otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I think Obama has been sidetracked by the Palestine-Israel issue for the past few days which is a shame. He could really have made a difference on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

Effects wrote: »
    Yeah, you're right there. It's all Aitken's fault. It's a pity though as Garth said he would have no problem doing just three shows. He even said no problem to three regular shows plus 2 matinees. But then Aitken had to go a ruin it by saying garth had to play all five nights or nothing.

In the context of the post I was replying to I mentioned Aitken promotions.

Just to be clear, In my opinion the baddies in this drama are Peter Aitken (himself not his company) and Garth Brookes (himself not his company)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭queensinead

Harpy wrote: »
    Yeah, but clearly yesterday things changed a bit, you'd think theyd come out and tell people ok its over now time to move on or else come out and say we are continuing to try negotiate a solution with Garth Brooks..

I think Garth's press conference might have put the kibosh on things really.

It was a bit of a wake-up call.

Was this C & W singer seriously asking the "Prime Minister" to phone him? And criticising the way we do things here, without of course giving an inch himself. Behind all the I-Love-Ireland smokescreen, that was still the bottom line: I'm not compromising an inch, let someone else compromise

Enda Kenny must have realised that he had no business leaving himself open to taking advice from a country singer who made no secret of the fact that he was not in love with the way our officials do their jobs here, and who quite clearly stated that none of this was his problem, it was the Irish government's problem.

I think "the powers that be" realise that it is time to back off, and that they should probably never have got drawn into the fiasco to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CapricornOne

:D The irony of the message attached to this petition - "Come on no matter where u are from sign this petition...less than 9k signatures is a disgrace come on friends near and far get signing"

change.org/petitions/dublin-city-council-allow-all-5-garth-brooks-concerts-to-go-ahead?recruiter=124701165&utm_campaign=signature_receipt&utm_medium=email&utm_source=share_petition

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Any truth in people marching to the GPO for the concert to go ahead, few people on social network have been saying there is one :eek:
    Rasheed wrote: »
    It was announced on the tv3 news there anyway. They said residents and fans that want the concerts to go ahead

Can't wait to see the protesters line dancing for Garth outside the GPO on the RTE news bulletin tomorrow, this will truly be the pinnacle of this bizarre debacle!
    My money's still on 3 gigs taking place.

That might still happen. It would be a big come down for Garth but he could just use the 'on mature reflection' line and metaphor it up as saving three babies from certain death.
    This post has been deleted.

It'd be better to give the hotel room away for free to someone you know rather than let them re-sell it.
    The ship hasn't done a U-turn yet so they still think it's salvageable. How long does a ship take to get from America to Ireland these days anyway?

I think the QE2 does Southampton to New York in about six days so I guess a week or so depending on weather. It might have to go somewhere like Rotterdam first to be broken up and then dispatched on another ship to Dublin. I doubt Brooks 18 truck loads are taking up an entire ship, it's likely just part of a huge consignment.
    Effects wrote: »
    Yeah, you're right there. It's all Aitken's fault. It's a pity though as Garth said he would have no problem doing just three shows. He even said no problem to three regular shows plus 2 matinees. But then Aitken had to go a ruin it by saying garth had to play all five nights or nothing.

I wouldn't be massively quick to blame Aiken here. He just booked a venue. In doing so the GAA thought that 5 gigs in a row wouldn't be a problem with the residents. It was and here we are. This whole episode is down to a breakdown in relations between the GAA and some residents. The GAA are responsible for their relations with neighbours, not Peter Aiken.

Having said all that if Aiken could have foreseen all of this happening I'm sure he would of went back to Brooks and said 'listen Garth, 1D are already doing 3 nights there and we think we'll only get permission at Croker for three so we want to move show four and five to Cork'. I'm sure if Aiken had of played it that way then we wouldn't be where we're at. But personally I'd place more blame on the GAA for not managing the relationships with their neighbours to satisfaction, that's where the real cock up is here and it can be directly attributed to the Commercial Manager and the new President who decided to change policy and bring Croker from three concerts a year to eight.

Anyway it's all neither here nor there as the gigs are highly unlikely to go ahead at this stage.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Piliger wrote: »
    I would suggest that 400,000+ people are having their freedom and entitlement trampled by a couple of dozen nymbys.

Nobody has any 'entitlement' to go to a concert. Everyone has the right to the quiet enjoyment of their homes. Even people who choose to live in Dublin. How in the world did people get so unbelievably selfish as to assume their desires are rights and fuçk anyone who gets in their way?:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Retrovertigo

iguana wrote: »
    Nobody has any 'entitlement' to go to a concert. Everyone has the right to the quiet enjoyment of their homes. Even people who choose to live in Dublin. How in the world did people get so unbelievably selfish as to assume their desires are rights and fuçk anyone who gets in their way?:mad:

I have to admit I laughed when I noticed you were a mod of 'soap operas' because that is essentially what the situation has become.

The sooner the fiasco is over and done with the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭amacca

iguana wrote: »
    How in the world did people get so unbelievably selfish as to assume their desires are rights and fuçk anyone who gets in their way?:mad:

Thats some/most/nearly all humans for ya!

And its often the ones who think other people should have to put up with things or just get on with it wouldn't tolerate a second of it themselves!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I'm just amazed someone hasn't suggested demolishing all the surrounding homes or introducing a compulsory purchase order for all the neighbouring houses. There have been plenty of other idiotic suggestions. Sweet Jesus, protest marches, sounds like some people are off their meds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

160,000 over two days = "Over Intensification".

160,000 in one day = "Away you go now. Enjoy yerselves".

• Registered Users Posts: 35,978 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

They should issue these to the residents, will solve problem
    http://missionaryblogdigest.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/earmuffs.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Too busy today to keep track just reading now, sweet baby Jesus :eek:

there is going to be a march wtf? It is going to match up when the ship comes in double wtf??

So..... This is what it was like during the Cuban missile crisis :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

When I was moving to Drumcondra a few years ago I knew Croker was there and had to put up with it as a part of life. Its been there since it opened in 1913 so the residents should just accept the live near the biggest stadium in Ireland. The whole thing is a farce that it cant be used for this that or that other. It lays empty the majority of the year anyways. If they dont like living beside a stadium then move and spot moaning nobody forced them to live there. The whole self entitement issue people have in this country is shocking. It would not be tolerated in Canada, America, Germany etc... Now I cant stand country music so hearing it for 5 nights in a row would drive me mad. Id be more prone to book a holiday that week.... Maybe in future thats what the GAA should offer people a holiday for the days a concert is on.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'm just amazed someone hasn't suggested demolishing all the surrounding homes or introducing a compulsory purchase order for all the neighbouring houses. There have been plenty of other idiotic suggestions.

From the last thread; http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91160641&postcount=6548

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Reformed Character

Forget the news, its speculation and sh!te.

He'll tour the UK and Europe and i'll be there. I might even go sooner to the USA. He'll mend my broken heart.

Unlikely, professional promoters estimate (as said by MCD on Newstalk) that he couldn't sell out a 10,000 seater anywhere else in Europe including the UK.
    Basically if he doesn't take the three on offer at Croker he doesn't tour Europe.

Unlikely, professional promoters estimate (as said by MCD on Newstalk) that he couldn't sell out a 10,000 seater anywhere else in Europe including the UK.
    Basically if he doesn't take the three on offer at Croker he doesn't tour Europe.

Then whats the attraction that Irish people have with him if our British and European cousins wont go see him in such big numbers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Yet he's planning a world tour. A world tour. Let's skip Europe because of Ireland.

He has thousands and thousands of fans, and willing to travel here. If he doesn't come here, you can bet a 10,000 seater in the UK will sell out with Irish alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Then whats the attraction that Irish people have with him if our British and European cousins wont go see him in such big numbers?

I think it's cause he hasn't toured in so long that it's impossible to predict. He hasn't played the uk in 20 years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement