Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

jjbrien wrote: »
    When I was moving to Drumcondra a few years ago I knew Croker was there and had to put up with it as a part of life. Its been there since it opened in 1913 so the residents should just accept the live near the biggest stadium in Ireland. The whole thing is a farce that it cant be used for this that or that other. It lays empty the majority of the year anyways. If they dont like living beside a stadium then move and spot moaning nobody forced them to live there. The whole self entitement issue people have in this country is shocking. It would not be tolerated in Canada, America, Germany etc... Now I cant stand country music so hearing it for 5 nights in a row would drive me mad. Id be more prone to book a holiday that week.... Maybe in future thats what the GAA should offer people a holiday for the days a concert is on.

The argument about the statement is pointless - for example there are houses built before the stadium - yes the families have changed but so had Croke Park. The first concert was in 1984 - so I would reckon a large % of people where living in the area before any concerts were held - so who should have the rights?

Why should ordinary non-wealthy residents have to put up with Croke Park bulling them. if the 5 concerts go ahead, it will mean in the last 4 years there has been 15 non GAA events with another one in August.

Now compare that to the Aviva stadium, they won't even think about trying the same tactic, because they know the money is there to fight it.

Interesting today that the new Minister of Tourism, had written an open letter against the application for the licence months back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

The press conference reminded me of this line from the great john power

There's a man who lost touch with grace
    There's a man who sailed to far away
    Sailed upon the sea, the sea that filled the world, the world that floats in space

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

I'm just amazed someone hasn't suggested demolishing all the surrounding homes or introducing a compulsory purchase order for all the neighbouring houses. There have been plenty of other idiotic suggestions. Sweet Jesus, protest marches, sounds like some people are off their meds.

Nothing(in idiotic terms)could beat..
    Refusing two licences to two already sold out gigs, and not foresee the ensuing sh!t storm!
    Now that's idiotic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Reformed Character

jjbrien wrote: »
    Then whats the attraction that Irish people have with him if our British and European cousins wont go see him in such big numbers?

Culchyism?:confused:
    He has NEVER even at the height of his alleged fame been popular enough to play live in the UK!
    Truth is the 5 Irish concerts were only ever there to subsidise the loss making tour of Europe, no Ireland no Europe!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Joe Duffy..

A march to the GPO, Jaysus, that's pathetic in all fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

iguana wrote: »

:eek:Ok, I'm genuinely anxious now:D Does the Mental Health Act have anything that could help them I wonder, like a short residential stay?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Over a few concerts!?? They've clearly lost their reason!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Reformed Character

ardle1 wrote: »
    Nothing(in idiotic terms)could beat..
    Refusing two licences to two already sold out gigs, and not foresee the ensuing sh!t storm!
    Now that's idiotic.

No, that's regulation, proper regulation, as opposed to the "light touch" that bankrupted us!
    Just because you can sell out an event does not mean that granting said gig a licence is correct within the remit of planning regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,533 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Unlikely, professional promoters estimate (as said by MCD on Newstalk) that he couldn't sell out a 10,000 seater anywhere else in Europe including the UK.
    Basically if he doesn't take the three on offer at Croker he doesn't tour Europe.

That also explains why the saga is a non story outside of Ireland. Brooks would be considered a clapped out has been in the UK and the rest of Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Captain Scarlet

That´s Big Ten Four, Rubber Duck.

But let me say this - if he doesn´t play, my cover band, made up of U.S. Security Personnel infiltrating the former Iraqi ruling party, Ba´ath Gooks, will play five nights running in Baghdad.

Darn. I just realised that CIA spies were called "spooks", not "gooks". So that feeble attempt at humour makes no sense. It´s the scrambled brain, man. Carnsore Point 1979 and all that Hare Krishna food. Flashbacks. The horror, the horror....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Strazdas wrote: »
    That also explains why the saga is a non story outside of Ireland. Brooks would be considered a clapped out has been in the UK and the rest of Europe.
    He couldn't even be considered a has-been in the UK. To be a has-been, you would actually need to have been something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

:D The irony of the message attached to this petition - "Come on no matter where u are from sign this petition...less than 9k signatures is a disgrace come on friends near and far get signing"

change.org/petitions/dublin-city-council-allow-all-5-garth-brooks-concerts-to-go-ahead?recruiter=124701165&utm_campaign=signature_receipt&utm_medium=email&utm_source=share_petition

My bet is less than a few hundred will show up to the protest at the GPO tomorrow. If they can only get 9000 signatures for their petition there won't be 400,000 people marching on O'Connell Street tomorrow, that's for sure. It'll be a few token diehards and the media will make a show of it because there'll be an abundance of crying fans there to make it a show. Most ticket holders I know for his shows are just tired of the whole debacle and want their money back so they can plan other things. They won't be arsed getting a bus to Dublin city centre tomorrow to protest this, not a hope.

Well said Joe, well said :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

El Weirdo wrote: »
    He couldn't even be considered a has-been in the UK. To be a has-been, you would actually need to have been something.

I'm not a fan, but isn't Garth Brooks the biggest selling male solo artist in history?

That's slightly relevant...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/music-news/video-tense-scenes-between-lord-mayor-and-garth-brooks-injunction-man-30422087.html

Not sure this was posted, epic stuff!! Looney tunes ringtone interrupts Lord Mayor... This could be the theme tune for the whole farce... :cool: or perhaps the matinee...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

No, that's regulation, proper regulation, as opposed to the "light touch" that bankrupted us!
    Just because you can sell out an event does not mean that granting said gig a licence is correct within the remit of planning regulations.

"Proper regulation" ??

The DCC has green lighted 320,000 to access the area around Croke Park over a 48 period. How is that not considered "over intensification". They also green lighted three concerts (four if you include the spit and handshake offer) above and beyond the three maximum stipulated by An Bord Pleanala and you're referring to all that as "Proper regulation" :P

As for going bankrupt. It was our Government's refusal to listen to people saying that things were wrong that made us bankrupt. Blindly insisting that everything was dandy and saying they were surprised that the people pointing out how certain things needed to change, and change fast, didn't top themselves. So, far from being so different from those that made this country implode, the people sticking their fingers in the ears here (you know who you are) who refuse to see how flawed and illogical our event licensing laws are, how flimsy and frail our resident / stadium agreements are, and most importantly, how incompetent our council officials are when faced with issues that the aforementioned problems create.. you are all in fact, JUST. LIKE. THEM. Everything's fine. Lalalalallalallalalala. The big fat country singer's the problem. Bertie syndrome alive and well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

For most of this week, this whole fiasco for me was in 4th place in my top most embarrassing Irish things list.

Upon hearing there's now a ****ing march to the Dáil organised, it's overtaken Crystal Swing and the Limerick breakdancers from Reeling in the Years to now sit in 2nd place.

Linda Martin watch out, because if this march actually goes ahead, you'll never get first place back. Not until the next season of the Late Late Show at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Tomorrow could be interesting, what time is the march?

https://www.facebook.com/events/791296720902503/

Yes, apart from his 1993 album, he's a virtual unknown there. I'd say most people in the UK couldn't name a single song of his.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I'm not a fan, but isn't Garth Brooks the biggest selling male solo artist in history?

That's slightly relevant...
    Some say biggest, some say 3rd biggest, depending on the parameters used for measuring sales, as I understand it.

But I was referring to him being considered a has-been in the UK, where I imagine he'd barely register in the public conciousness.

• Advertisement

Some say biggest, some say 3rd biggest, depending on the parameters used for measuring sales, as I understand it.

But I was referring to him being considered a has-been in the UK, where I imagine he'd barely register in the public conciousness.

He's been a huge phenomenom in the US and Canada but never really broke outside that market apart from in Ireland and Norway (oddly)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

IS there a european tour, or is this gig just in ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

He's been a huge phenomenom in the US and Canada but never really broke outside that market apart from in Ireland and Norway (oddly)

Could never stand him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

And 2 Decades ago in Australia...

Would his old fans be bothered anymore?

The World Tour of 5 Countries will be epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Cienciano wrote: »

The croke park shows were a "comeback special" leading into a world tour. Now there's questions over whether or not he has the drawing power to play Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

hynesie08 wrote: »
    The croke park shows were a "comeback special" leading into a world tour. Now there's questions over whether or not he has the drawing power to play Europe.
    The Aussie wrote: »

So he's not really liked outside USA and Ireland? And we sold 400k tickets to see him? The fans are right, we are a laughing stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

The Aussie wrote: »

Still three/four more countries than the World series......

I know the World series is actually named after the World newspaper that were the initial sponsors

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

So he's not really liked outside USA and Ireland? And we sold 400k tickets to see him? The fans are right, we are a laughing stock.

Well 5 Countries can't all be backwards can they???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭That_Girl_ Is_ A_Cowboy

This was due to be a once off special and not part of any tour. It's a precusor to his world tour due to kick off later in the year.
    The americans don't do anything in half measures. He would have pumped a lot into this and it would have been huge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Not that he's not liked, but he wouldn't sell out 80,000 seat stadiums anywhere in europe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement