Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

He would have pumped a lot into this and it would have been huge.

Oooh matron.

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭That_Girl_ Is_ A_Cowboy

Cienciano wrote: »
    So he's not really liked outside USA and Ireland? And we sold 400k tickets to see him? The fans are right, we are a laughing stock.

400,000 tickets were sold but it was reported that 70,000 went to those abroad. That would be huge fans from abroad who would have wanted to come and see him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,534 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Cienciano wrote: »
    So he's not really liked outside USA and Ireland? And we sold 400k tickets to see him? The fans are right, we are a laughing stock.

I think it's to do with our country and western tradition and wasn't there some sort of American country music TV channel here in the 90s that showed Brooks videos all the time along with all the other country artists?

I'm definitely on the outside of all this and never got the appeal, even though I'm a big music fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Is this shote not done yet?

I'd safely say a huge percentage of the concert go-ers, myself included have paid for nostalgia and anticipation. I've followed this thread from the beginning and have seen people being ridiculed and sneered at for their various opinion about this entire debacle.

Whatever happened to being allowed be sad and disappointed? There is a lot of blame to be apportioned in this, the man himself included. The situation sucks. But this thread reads like a civil partition.

I'm not ashamed to say I'm upset, disappointed and disheartened. I heard an advert on radio earlier advertising "Mrs Brown's boys" in the o2 "subject to licence"- no lessons learned then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

400,000 tickets were sold but it was reported that 70,000 went to those abroad. That would be huge fans from abroad who would have wanted to come and see him.

Weve enough obese people here without adding to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Still three/four more countries than the World series......

I know the World series is actually named after the World newspaper that were the initial sponsors

Your spoiler ain't so, using baseball parlance ;) That is an urban myth.

Weve enough obese people here without adding to it.

I didn't mean fat people. I mean fans who are big into him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Captain Scarlet

I´m all for the concerts for those who want to see them, but marching on the GPO? That´s a bit mental. Last time a small band of hard-headed folk marched there with a demand, it all went postal (excuse the pun). Where are the Sherwood Foresters when you need them? Apart from which, aren´t there a load of problematic marches taking place on Sunday that might attract more attention?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I've a strong suspicion a large chunk of those would be living within a 2 hour drive of Croke Park. Country music is just as popular if not more so up north.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'm not ashamed to say I'm upset, disappointed and disheartened. I heard an advert on radio earlier advertising "Mrs Brown's boys" in the o2 "subject to licence"- no lessons learned then.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being upset and disappointed. I'd feel the same if I was really looking forward to an event and it was not only cancelled but messed around with 'will they, won't they happen' nonsense for days on end. But many of the ticketholders on this thread have shown astonishing selfishness and disregard for the actual rights of other people, some going so far as to advocate violent disorder and vandalism toward people who live in the area of Croke Park. And to be quite frank, a lot of people are utterly disgusted by them. And Brooks, Aiken and the GAA have shown absolute contempt for the laws of the land and are trying to bully and blackmail the state in order to maximise their profits. Something else which has disgusted a lot of people. And many of the same posters who are advocating criminal behaviour if they don't get their own way, are praising the selfish bullies and calling out for our laws to be flouted so they get their own way, and calling for the people who are trying to stand up for those laws to lose their jobs.

I have every sympathy for people like you, who have been let down and I genuinely hope you are compensated for every cent you have spent. I hope the people responsible for this disaster, mainly Aiken and the GAA suffer big financial losses because of this, not because I want them to suffer, but because I want them and those like them to not attempt this kind of sh!t again. And the only deterrent is for them to not get their way now and for them to suffer heavy financial losses as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

slimjimmc wrote: »
    I've a strong suspicion a large chunk of those would be living within a 2 hour drive of Croke Park. Country music is just as popular if not more so up north.

The 70k is overseas, ie: not up North

• Registered Users Posts: 9,768 ✭✭✭hynesie08

nm wrote: »
    The 70k is overseas, ie: not up North

the 70k is anyone who bought tickets through the not irish ticketmaster.

hynesie08 wrote: »

No it's not, we've been through this

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

And I guess that a good chunk of those would be Irish people living abroad. Not exactly "tourists" per se.

Quit posting things off the top of your head:
    70,000 Garth Brooks fans to travel from overseas for Croker shows

He’s got friends in foreign places — eight of the 400,000 tickets for Garth Brooks’ Irish gigs were bought in Afghanistan.

And a massive 70,000 tickets for Garth Brooks’ Croke Park concerts were snapped up overseas.

Some 17.5% of tickets for the five sold-out concerts in July were bought up by fans outside of Ireland.

Promoter Peter Aiken said the unprecedented overseas sales were a completely new

Eight tickets were sold in Afghanistan, while 3% of overall sales were in the US, Canada, and Germany.

“We sold nearly 70,000 tickets outside of the country — we have never done anything like that. To sell 70,000 outside of Ireland when you think about it, for them to get to Ireland, whether its planes or coming on the boat, it’s a hell of a shift of people,” Aiken said.

Speaking at the launch of the 10th Live at the Marquee series in Cork yesterday, Aiken said Garth Brooks tickets were purchased in places he’d never heard of.

“We sold eight tickets in Afghanistan. That might be soldiers or whatever but we’ve got the breakdown of all the ticket sales and it’s incredible. The likes of Costa Rica — countries I’ve never heard of before and didn’t know they existed,” he said.

Of the 400,000 tickets sold for the five Garth Brooks gigs in Dublin, 15% were bought in the North and 12% in England, Scotland, and Wales.

Aiken reported that sales were made “right across Europe”. “They talk about The Gathering or different things happening over the years; say for an All-Ireland final you’ve got maybe 2,000 people coming from overseas. This is 70,000 people. You try and get a B&B anywhere in Dublin (during the concert run) — you can’t get one,” he said. “That’s what these events do.”

Aiken said “the whole industry” was surprised by Brooksmania, as demand for tickets swept the country and all five concerts sold out within minutes of going on sale.

Quit posting things off the top of your head:

Exactly, complete and utter bollocks being posted now, assumptions and 'guesses' and all sorts being spouted as facts

El Weirdo wrote: »
    And I guess that a good chunk of those would be Irish people living abroad. Not exactly "tourists" per se.

If they are living abroad and coming home for a holiday, they are still tourists.

Exactly, complete and utter bollocks being posted now, assumptions and 'guesses' and all sorts being spouted as facts

I know, Like iwishiwas claiming dcc "greenlit" 2 extra gigs when they did nothing of the sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

you've had a fair few yourself - the quote above is not from an official source - go get that and then come back to me.

Your just like EOTR you'll pick out quotes from articles that you want to use, but when others pick out quotes from the same sources, you just dismiss them.

Therefore unless it's an official source it's not worth anything really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Shocking stuff - Peter Aiken had never heard of Costa Rica :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

slimjimmc wrote: »

Have we annexed the North?? I was under the impression it was another country!!

I know, Like iwishiwas claiming dcc "greenlit" 2 extra gigs when they did nothing of the sort.

?:confused:? Great.
    Ace2007 wrote: »
    you've had a fair few yourself - the quote above is not from an official source - go get that and then come back to me.

Your just like EOTR you'll pick out quotes from articles that you want to use, but when others pick out quotes from the same sources, you just dismiss them.

Therefore unless it's an official source it's not worth anything really.

Aikens isn't an official source? Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Oh lord it just dawned on me they are marching from the GPO to DDC on the 12th of July all they need now is orange saches, a few drums, flegs and we have the north

It's been that way since the thread began to be fair.

My favourite so far is that the DCC can't make a decision on a licence application for ten weeks. This is the same licence that has a deadline of ten weeks. So, therefore, the council can't make a decision on licence applications that come in just under the deadline.. until the day events take place.

When you keep posting to correct that nonsense, you get told you're just making ridiculous statements :P

Official, yes
    Credible? i'm not so sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

If they are living abroad and coming home for a holiday, they are still tourists.
    You know exactly what I meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

The link posted is for "www.irishexaminer.com"

Ace2007 wrote: »
    The link posted is for "www.irishexaminer.com"

You're saying they are misquoting Aikens, is that right?

• Advertisement

Official, yes
    Credible? i'm not so sure.

And this one says it is Aikens, but he's lying.

Clutching at straws big time lads..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement