Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,768 ✭✭✭hynesie08

It's been that way since the thread began to be fair.

My favourite so far is that the DCC can't make a decision on a licence application for ten weeks. This is the same licence that has a deadline of ten weeks. So, therefore, the council can't make a decision on licence applications that come in just under the deadline.. until the day events take place.

When you keep posting to correct that nonsense, you get told you're just making ridiculous statements :P

Application goes in
    5 weeks for observations,
    Sent off to concerned parties
    reviewed by said parties
    sent back to dcc
    decision made
    license granted/denied

So how long do you think that should take?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

nm wrote: »
    You're saying they are misquoting Aikens, is that right?

The same website - claims there is an agreement between Croke Park and the residents that no more than 3 concerts would be held in any one year.

Therefor in holding the GB concerts, the GAA are breaking and agreement with the residents.

Now yourself and EOTR won't believe that this agreement exists, even thought it's written on the same source as the "quote" above.

Why don't you just provide me with a link from an official source (I.e. aiken website - if he said it he'll have in there for sure), and not a quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Aikens isn't an official source? Really?
    How dare you suggest the guy selling the tickets, who has been selling tickets in this country for decades, and who would be sent the breakdown on sales from TM on an almost daily basis, would know anything whatsoever about the geographical location of when and where the tickets were purchased. Don't you know well that the man is a psychic and so even back in Feb, would know well that we would all be on here tonight arguing about how many people in NI actually bought tickets and so isn't it blindingly obviously that he just decided to get out his calculator, number crunch and then exaggerate the NI number, before passing them along to the Irish Examiner. Are you stupid or what nm? Ya big Garth lover ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

It's been that way since the thread began to be fair.

My favourite so far is that the DCC can't make a decision on a licence application for ten weeks. This is the same licence that has a deadline of ten weeks. So, therefore, the council can't make a decision on licence applications that come in just under the deadline.. until the day events take place.

When you keep posting to correct that nonsense, you get told you're just making ridiculous statements :P

Earlier on you were complaining about DCC not making a decision '9 weeks before the concert' (direct quote). I think we both know who's made the more ridiculous statement.

Unless of course you wanted DCC to disregard and completely ignore the compulsory statutory consultation period.

Had they done what you wished, they would have been dragged up before the high court for illegally granting licences quicker than you could say low friends in high places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Ace2007 wrote: »
    The same website - claims there is an agreement between Croke Park and the residents that no more than 3 concerts would be held in any one year.

Therefor in holding the GB concerts, the GAA are breaking and agreement with the residents.

Now yourself and EOTR won't believe that this agreement exists, even thought it's written on the same source as the "quote" above.

Why don't you just provide me with a link from an official source (I.e. aiken website - if he said it he'll have in there for sure), and not a quote.

The only one misquoting anyone here is you misquoting me. I've never said the agreement doesn't exist, you seem very confused.

A source was provided, quoting Aikens.
    If you are saying that The Irish Examiner is wrong, lying, or misquoting Aikens, then the onus is on you to back up that statement of yours and prove it (ridiculous as it is).

• Advertisement

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Application goes in
    5 weeks for observations,
    Sent off to concerned parties
    reviewed by said parties
    sent back to dcc
    decision made
    license granted/denied

So how long do you think that should take?

1 week according to an earlier post.

Total ignorance of the statutory period of 5 week for observations. But we're ones making ridiculous statements apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Have we annexed the North?? I was under the impression it was another country!!

No, why would you think that. And you would be correct in your impression.
    I'm not sure why you felt anyone thought otherwise considering we were discussing GB's popularity abroad. :confused:

The only one misquoting anyone here is you misquoting me. I've never said the agreement doesn't exist, you seem very confused.

A source was provided, quoting Aikens.
    If you are saying that The Irish Examiner is wrong, lying, or misquoting Aikens, then the onus is on you to back up that statement of yours and prove it (ridiculous as it is).

So I ask for an official website - one that is reliable - you can't provide this, your only giving a quote, he could have said 100,000 and would we just believe him?

I'm done pointing out the obvious to certain posters on this thread. As Mark Twain said, "never argue with stupid people, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience".

Good night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I'm done pointing out the obvious to certain posters on this thread. As Mark Twain said, "never argue with stupid people, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience".

Good night.

And nobody expects the spanish inquisition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Ace2007 wrote: »
    So I ask for an official website - one that is reliable - you can't provide this, your only giving a quote, he could have said 100,000 and would we just believe him?

First it was a misquote and The Examiner wasn't credible, now it is an Aikens quote but you don't believe him, but if it's on an official aikens statement website, then you'd believe him?

You're all over the place, I'm not even sure you know what point you're trying to make at this stage.
    Good night

Not that he's not liked, but he wouldn't sell out 80,000 seat stadiums anywhere in europe.

If the Dublin concerts do not go ahead there will be massive demand from Irish fans to see him elsewhere. Probably sell out wembley in minutes from ticketmaster.ie alone.

This is another fact being over looked by the people saying that the concerts not happening won't effect money spent in the economy. A lot of money will be leaving the county when Irish people travel abroad to see him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Earlier on you were complaining about DCC not making a decision '9 weeks before the concert' (direct quote).

Eh yes, you're absolutely right, I have and have been all week. You imply contradiction with your tone here but the above quote in NO way contradicts the 9 week figure.
    I think we both know who's made the more ridiculous statement.

I know alright, but I'm 100% sure you don't..
    Unless of course you wanted DCC to disregard and completely ignore the compulsory statutory consultation period.

Had they done what you wished, they would have been dragged up before the high court for illegally granting licences quicker than you could say low friends in high places.

Let me try and make this really simple for you:

Aiken applied for the licence 14 weeks before the concerts. Five weeks is the actually figure the council have to wait before they can officially refuse an application, not ten. Ten would be illogical, no matter how many people on this thread keep repeating it. 14 - 5 = 9! Or at least it did when I was at school. Ten weeks would not make sense. Ten weeks is the deadline. If the deadline was the same amount of time as the time that the council had to wait before they could make a decision, that would mean that applications lodged just before the deadline, could only be granted or rejected on.the.day.of.the.bloody.event.

But, don't just take my word for it:
    Deputy Phil Hogan

I thank the Deputy for raising this matter which is the subject of much media attention. As she may be aware, An Bord Pleanála granted planning permission for the redevelopment of Croke Park stadium on 9 March 1993. Condition No. 11 attached to the planning permission allows for the holding of three special events such as concerts in the stadium each calendar year, subject to the approval of an event management plan which must be submitted by way of compliance submission to the planning department of Dublin City Council. Any additional event proposed to be held in Croke Park in excess of the three events permitted per calendar year must be approved by way of a public event licence application to Dublin City Council under the provisions of section 230 of the Planning and Development Act 2000, as amended. Any application under these provisions which can be for one or more events must be submitted at least ten weeks prior to the date of the first event.

The pop group One Direction is holding three concerts in Croke Park on successive days between 23 and 25 May and it is my understanding these concerts are taking place under the terms of condition No. 11 attached to the 1993 planning permission granted by An Bord Pleanála. It is also my understanding approval of the event management plan for these concerts will be issued by Dublin City Council next week. The five concerts to be undertaken by Garth Brooks on successive dates at the end of July are required to be separately approved by means of obtaining a public event licence under the terms of section 230 of the Planning and Development Act. In this regard, Dublin City Council has not received an application for a public event licence for these concerts to date. However, as I have indicated, event organisers have until ten weeks prior to the date of the first concert to submit an application for a public event licence.

Under the public event licensing provisions contained in section 230 of the Planning and Development Act 2000, any third party can make observations on the application within five weeks of the date of lodgement of the public event licence application with the relevant authority. With regard to the proposed five Garth Brooks concerts at the end of July, it will be a matter for Dublin City Council to assess the application for the public event licence when it is received, taking account of third party observations. It will, of course, be open to residents in the vicinity of the Croke Park stadium to submit written observations to Dublin City Council during the period open for the submission of such observations.

Even the bloody BBC are aware of that:
    How does the licence process in the Republic of Ireland work? Before 2001, a major concert required full planning permission to go ahead.

The law was changed so that a venue could temporarily be used for a one or two-day event, providing it receives a licence from the council.

Under the regulations, any event organiser putting on an outdoor event for more than 5,000 people is required to apply for a licence.

The organiser must advertise their intention to apply and then make the application no more than two weeks later.

The application has to be made at least ten weeks before the event.

The local council cannot reach a decision on the application for five weeks, so the public has enough time to make submissions on the licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭mattser

Just an imposter here guys, but what percentage do you give this gig in Dublin going ahead in any shape or form ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭redarmy

mattser wrote: »
    Just an imposter here guys, but what percentage do you give this gig in Dublin going ahead in any shape or form ?

U can be sure atleast 3 will go ahead

40%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

3 out of 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭That_Girl_ Is_ A_Cowboy

If the Dublin concerts do not go ahead there will be massive demand from Irish fans to see him elsewhere. Probably sell out wembley in minutes from ticketmaster.ie alone.

This is another fact being over looked by the people saying that the concerts not happening won't effect money spent in the economy. A lot of money will be leaving the county when Irish people travel abroad to see him.

This. He's due to announce dates for his world tour on monday. If these dublin gigs are gone down the pan and no hope for saving them, me and my sister has planned that we'll definately go off and see him, probably in the states. Or like what you suggested, if he adds the uk, there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

20%.

Garth's not compromising, DCC aren't compromising, it's a good laugh really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,768 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Do you really see any uk promoter putting him in a stadium in the hopes that people from another country will fill out 90% of the crowd?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

C'mon Garth......
    Just���� slip ����on down�� to the ����AAAAAAAA-viva
    Yeeeeeeeeee-HAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Do you really see any uk promoter putting him in a stadium in the hopes that people from another country will fill out 90% of the crowd?

Belfast would take him in a heartbeat.

Wouldn't think so, I'd say 80% of people going up to Croker were only casual fans who were really only events junkies (I still believe that if the gigs were in the O2 they wouldn't sell out five straight nights), everyone I know going was just in this situation.

That leaves us with, say, 60000 "proper" fans (say 20000 of the other 80% are going two nights) of Garth Brooks, how many d'you think would be willing to leave the country to go see him? When you factor in price/time off work needed to go abroad I'd say about 10000-20000 and not all of these would go to the same gig, that's not that large an amount of people.

Wouldn't think so, I'd say 80% of people going up to Croker were only casual fans who were really only events junkies (I still believe that if the gigs were in the O2 they wouldn't sell out five straight nights), everyone I know going was just in this situation.

That leaves us with, say, 60000 "proper" fans (say 20000 of the other 80% are going two nights) of Garth Brooks, how many d'you think would be willing to leave the country to go see him? When you factor in price/time off work needed to go abroad I'd say about 10000-20000 and not all of these would go to the same gig, that's not that large an amount of people.

After this clusterfùck I don't think he'll ever do Ireland again so that will force much of us to see him up north or the uk. I wouldn't know about the numbers though.

After this clusterfùck I don't think he'll ever do Ireland again so that will force much of us to see him up north or the uk. I wouldn't know about the numbers though.

Those figures all just guesswork on my part in fairness, I know what you're saying though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

iguana wrote: »
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with being upset and disappointed. I'd feel the same if I was really looking forward to an event and it was not only cancelled but messed around with 'will they, won't they happen' nonsense for days on end. But many of the ticketholders on this thread have shown astonishing selfishness and disregard for the actual rights of other people, some going so far as to advocate violent disorder and vandalism toward people who live in the area of Croke Park. And to be quite frank, a lot of people are utterly disgusted by them. And Brooks, Aiken and the GAA have shown absolute contempt for the laws of the land and are trying to bully and blackmail the state in order to maximise their profits. Something else which has disgusted a lot of people. And many of the same posters who are advocating criminal behaviour if they don't get their own way, are praising the selfish bullies and calling out for our laws to be flouted so they get their own way, and calling for the people who are trying to stand up for those laws to lose their jobs.

I have every sympathy for people like you, who have been let down and I genuinely hope you are compensated for every cent you have spent. I hope the people responsible for this disaster, mainly Aiken and the GAA suffer big financial losses because of this, not because I want them to suffer, but because I want them and those like them to not attempt this kind of sh!t again. And the only deterrent is for them to not get their way now and for them to suffer heavy financial losses as a result.
    there aren't any bullies, nobody called for violence, no need for a deterrent for the GAA or promotors as deterrents don't work, the GAA should do the same next year until the government change the law to allow for an apeals process at least, hitting the GAA in the pocket will mean a lot less investment in community sports punishing people who have no interest in this either way

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭bobrawn20

Not a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

?? Great.

Aikens isn't an official source? Really?
    not according to her, she always has to mention me somewhere, its boaring at this stage

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Deedle deedle sitchyation. And flegs everywhere.
    No thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

Think he'll end up doing 3 won't he ? and 2 at a later date .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement