Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭That_Girl_ Is_ A_Cowboy

amkin25 wrote: »
    Think he'll end up doing 3 won't he ? and 2 at a later date .

Not a hope there. If he does 2 at a later date, it won't be part of his comeback event and those who bought tickets for the monday or tuesday bought for the comeback event.

Edit:

Unless he does 3, and maybe aiken puts his staging equipment into storage and aiken applies for a licence and puts 2 shows out in september maybe. Doubtful though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Speaking at the launch of the 10th Live at the Marquee series in Cork yesterday, Aiken said Garth Brooks tickets were purchased in places he’d never heard of.

“We sold eight tickets in Afghanistan. That might be soldiers or whatever but we’ve got the breakdown of all the ticket sales and it’s incredible. The likes of Costa Rica — countries I’ve never heard of before and didn’t know they existed,” he said.

Seems the man's knowledge of geography is on a par with his knowledge of planning law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

Not a hope there. If he does 2 at a later date, it won't be part of his comeback event and those who bought tickets for the monday or tuesday bought for the comeback event.

Edit:

Unless he does 3, and maybe aiken puts his staging equipment into storage and aiken applies for a licence and puts 2 shows out in september maybe. Doubtful though.

You could be right,i ain't been following the thing too closely but i still got a feeling in my bones that he will end up doing 3 of them,followed by 2 soon after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Keegan has some cheek.

He has raised concerns that certain members of the Oireachtas committee are also GAA members and implied they could be biased in their findings.

His meeting with the Oireachtas is on Tuesday and Aiken and the GAA attend on Wednesday.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/d%C3%A1il-committee-to-discuss-brooks-concerts-next-week-1.1863579

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

You could be right,i ain't been following the thing too closely but i still got a feeling in my bones that he will end up doing 3 of them,followed by 2 soon after.

I'm at a loss as to what other way they could save this from going down the toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Gergiev

Any word of the ship? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

Roll on August when this shít is truly over

• Advertisement

Maybe he should also question your man Niall Ring who's in bed with Eamon O Brien, a spokesperson for one of the committees.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Keegan is right to question a committee that is packed with vested interests.

Just want to say that Keegan's hypocrisy is absolutely staggering. He's about as big a vested interest as you could find. I live in Sandycove, I've been a member of Save Our Seafront, and the amount of shenanigans that went on in DLRCOCO - often against the wishes of actual councillors - when he was County Manager would make your skin crawl. The DL library, for example, is one of them. Guy is a gobsh!te of incredible proportions.

Wherever you stand on the Garth Brooks issue, make your points without praising any "integrity" you may have been led to believe this man possesses. :mad:

I don't know what way things are going to go. I read this from hotpress:

http://www.hotpress.com/Garth-Brooks/news/Garth-Brooks-update-Matinee-Option-Not-A-Runner-For-Brooks/11878789.html

and from there:

While the rejection of this latest initiative does
    not bring the saga to a full stop, there is very little
    wriggle room left for the people who are
    working around the clock to make the gigs
    happen. On the face of it, currently, it seems that
    only emergency legislation, which would over- ride the requirement for a 10 week planning
    process, could make it possible for the gigs to
    happen. While this is within the powers of the
    administration, to date Taoiseach Enda Kenny has
    seemed reluctant to do what is necessary to
    ensure that the gigs go ahead. On the other hand,
    the fact that so many of the local residents have
    now withdrawn their objections, could be taken by the Government as a hint that the national
    wish is overwhelmingly for the gigs to go ahead. "The fact that there were forged objections
    clearly tainted the whole planning process," a
    political source told Hot Press. "We don't yet
    know the exact number – but the fact that so
    many of the objectors are now scrambling for
    cover does suggest that there was a lot of opportunism and vindictiveness involved. That in
    itself should give Dublin City Council a basis for
    reviewing their decision. "In effect, if the local opposition has faded away,
    then there is really no reason whatsoever for the
    concerts not to go ahead."

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CapricornOne

Keegan has some cheek.

He has raised concerns that certain members of the Oireachtas committee are also GAA members and implied they could be biased in their findings.

His meeting with the Oireachtas is on Tuesday and Aiken and the GAA attend on Wednesday.

So it's dead and buried, with the above referring to a postmortem?

Certainly reads that way from the article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Can someone educate me as to what is the latest development?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

http://www.hotpress.com/Garth-Brooks/news/Garth-Brooks-update-Matinee-Option-Not-A-Runner-For-Brooks/11878789.html

and from there:

only emergency legislation, which would over- ride the requirement for a 10 week planning
    now withdrawn their objections, could be taken by the Government as a hint that the national
    wish is overwhelmingly for the gigs to go ahead. "The fact that there were forged objections
    cover does suggest that there was a lot of opportunism and vindictiveness involved. That in

Roll on Monday, it's the not knowing and waiting.... My fingers are crossed for the 400,000 ticket holders..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Just want to say that Keegan's hypocrisy is absolutely staggering. He's about as big a vested interest as you could find. I live in Sandycove, I've been a member of Save Our Seafront, and the amount of shenanigans that went on in DLRCOCO - often against the wishes of actual councillors - when he was County Manager would make your skin crawl. The DL library, for example, is one of them. Guy is a gobsh!te of incredible proportions.

Wherever you stand on the Garth Brooks issue, make your points without praising any "integrity" you may have been led to believe this man possesses. :mad:

At the end of the day Keegan is the only one who;s done his job correctly!

Can someone educate me as to what is the latest development?

Allow me to analogise:

CatFromHue wrote: »

Doesn't change the fact that he's a pr!ck, and also doesn't make his remarks about "vested interests" any less hypocritical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CapricornOne

Not really. Nothing has changed since the official announcement by Aiken that all five concerts were off. There's been some much publicised posturing but nothing has changed as of yet. Refunds still begin on Tuesday.

It will go down on the history books.

Eh.. Go down on the history books?
    Lucky old books, I say :p

Can the healy raes do anything?

This could be the beginning of a civil war. A friend asked me earlier how I was with the news of the Garth Brooks gigs and I went spouting on about Dublin people and the words that I used to describe them, well I won't write them here. I know it's unfair and wrong of me. I know some Dublin people and they are lovely, and not everyone is the same and I know it was only a small group of people with a vendetta who highjacked this. I never thought much of Dublin before now but after this there's definately a strong sourness towards Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,223 ✭✭✭✭Esel

and from there:

This 'song' will never make the charts...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

CatFromHue wrote: »

Right lets say(for talks sake)that he did his job correctly.
    Why on Gods earth did he choose the biggest entertainment event in at least a decade, involving the biggest and best entertainer on the planet, and knowing how much 'serious' trouble he was going to start and how many people he was going to upset! why oh why pray tell did he chose this event to do his job correctly??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

History Brooks

• Registered Users Posts: 22,223 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Why on Gods earth did he choose the biggest entertainment event in at least a decade, involving the biggest and best entertainer on the planet, and knowing how much 'serious' trouble he was going to start and how many people he was going to upset! why oh why pray tell did he chose this event to do his job correctly??
    Biggest - not sure, but possibly.

Best - I defend your right to hold this opinion.

On which planet, exactly?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Simple, because this has been the first event to take the absolute piss.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement