Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

c'mere I hear Donna and Joe McCaul have been involved in an emergency replacement act plan for the 5 concerts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALTXCVyclNI

Yeah!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 Billy Suffolk

No need for that, I get out plenty. It's an embarrassment because it makes us look like a bunch of Paddys who couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery. That's not an entirely fair of course but that's the thrust that will be put out there in the media tomorrow. It will all blow over in time but it could have all been avoided had there been better licensing laws and concessions made on both sides. Whatever you think about the rights or wrongs of staging five concerts in a row in Croker for the gig to have been refused a license weeks beforehand is absolutely crazy.

Of course there's limits to everything, but the way some people are reacting on this thread you would think the promoters are trying to stage a paedophile convention.

What part of "Subject to license" did they not understand ?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭SoCal MusicLover

P_1 wrote: »
    That's not correct and you know it, but frankly your attitude is doing you few favours. You simply can't use the lure/threat of your money to bypass planning laws. Maybe you can in San Diego/Los Angeles but it doesn't work that way in Ireland. So if you're going to act like a spoiled, petulant child then frankly, it's not us, it's you.

And honestly, I do not care much what you or the other "rules" people and Garth haters on this message board think about me. Just like you couldn't care less about me visiting your country.

You have no idea what myself and other Garth fans went through, and the money we will lose now. No, I have no desire to visit Dublin now or in the future, and I had been to Ireland on 5 previous trips to Europe.

But after reading the many comments here and elsewhere, I honestly do not think I'll be missed, nor will the other music fans who hesitate traveling there ever again. I sincerely hope this shines a negative light on Ireland, as I'm sure many of you think the blame lies with Mr. Brooks. I don't, nor do his many fans. We side with him and his decision to bypass your country. A total embarrassment you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Are the government going to step down after this disaster ?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,962 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

c'mere I hear Donna and Joe McCaul have been involved in an emergency replacement act plan for the 5 concerts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALTXCVyclNI

Yeah!

They couldn't fill 5 bingo halls

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Henry Sidney

And honestly, I do not care much what you or the other "rules" people and Garth haters on this message board think about me. Just like you couldn't care less about me visiting your country.

You have no idea what myself and other Garth fans went through, and the money we will lose now. No, I have no desire to visit Dublin now or in the future, and I had been to Ireland on 5 previous trips to Europe.

But after reading the many comments here and elsewhere, I honestly do not think I'll be missed, nor will the other music fans who hesitate traveling there ever again. I sincerely hope this shines a negative light on Ireland, as I'm sure many of you think the blame lies with Mr. Brooks. I don't, nor do his many fans. We side with him and his decision to bypass your country. A total embarrassment you are.

Can't get over the ironic user name myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

He chose to cancel, he could have played 3 but decided not to. You can blame him. We have had embarrassment caused by people getting hurt, your little holiday is nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,962 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Garth should come to Cork he can play 10 nights in the Marquee

Erm, ahem, he'd need to do 80 nights in the Marguee to make 400,000! :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

As an outsider looking in from overseas, this will definitely stop me from wanting to visit Ireland again or to relocate my company there.

Any country that can sell 400k of Garth Brooks tickets is obviously worth avoiding at all costs. He was appalling in the 90s and surely could only be worse now.

What would make me hesitate to move a company here would be the perception of chaotic planning, poor regulation and a lack of joined up thinking.
    Some businesses are of course attracted to such environments because there's usually a fast buck to be made in the grey areas where lax regulation and loopholes allow for shady deals. If we regulate properly and put effective licensing arrangements in place so that businesses are clear in where they stand, we are attractive to good business and unattractive to 'cowboys', which is as it should be.

• Advertisement

conorhal wrote: »
    What would make me hesitate to move a company here would be the perception of chaotic planning, poor regulation and a lack of joined up thinking.
    Some businesses are of course attracted to such environments because there's usually a fast buck to be made in the grey areas where lax regulation and loopholes allow for shady deals. If we regulate properly and put effective licensing arrangements in place so that businesses are clear in where they stand, we are attractive to good business and unattractive to 'cowboys', which is as it should be.

Unattractive to cowboys? Garth Brooks clearly agrees with you! Yeehaw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

But after reading the many comments here and elsewhere, I honestly do not think I'll be missed,

Did you actually think you'd be missed before you read the comments ?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Personally I could care less about Mr Brooks but I do feel happy for the retail and bar staff of Dublin in the fact that at least they won't have to deal with your good self if your posts are anything to go by.

As for the money argument, frankly it's not worth the indignity of having to deal with tourists with an over inflated sense of self importance.

However on a practical level, yes you will be refunded for your concert tickets, yes you can cancel your hotel booking and flights. Shti happens every day. Nobody died. A few concerts were cancelled, no sense in going all Kim Jong-il about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I honestly do not think I'll be missed

You're spot on there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Mod: If you could all read the OP again and abide by it, that'd be great. Knock off all the personal stuff.

P_1 wrote: »
    no sense in going all Kim Jong-il about it.

I'll blast off the surface and nuke Croke Park from orbit. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭paddyirish23

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Mod: If you could all read the OP again and abide by it, that'd be great. Knock off all the personal stuff.

Ya there are 70000 odd ppl now going to spend there money elsewhere what kind of msg does that send out?
    Does anyone know if anyone had got up off their arse and tried to get them back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

This just keeps getting better and better...
    DCC went back to him saying he could have 4 nights if he agreed to do them, what was he supposed to think with that sort of suggestion?! Of course he was holding out for the 5 after that they are some joke

Bear in mind also, that his management would have been aware of what the DCC were saying publicly and so would have had first hand knowledge of what a bunch of fcuking petty amateurs he was dealing with.

400,000 tickets sold and DCC want to single out 80,000 of them.

Any wonder he and his management said enough was enough. Who needs that kind of headache when you are about to embark on a world tour and have singled out a country to perform there. It was a compliment for him to choose Dublin to play these gigs and no matter if you like his music or not, you should at least be able to realize that.

There are things about the days gone by that had to change in this country for sure (Catholic Church dictation, Gombeen politcs, brown envelopes etc) and most of them have been to a great degree in fairness, but I feel that we have lost a lot of good about this country too. We've become too big for our own boots and you would assume the debt we have found ourselves in, and still in, would have snapped us out of that, but it clearly hasn't. If anything we are worse. There is a side to Ireland now that just wants to sneer from the sidelines, forget who were are as a people and generally just begrudge in ways which were once far far from our make-up but boy are we fcuking entrenched with them now. A bitter, sour minority appears to slowly becoming the majority. Cold, atheistic principles seem to be the order of the day now and I think it is without question to the determent of us as a people. A good old line dancing session, following by a swift kick in the arse is what most of them need.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

I honestly thought country and western fans were thicker skinned and weaned on the teat of disappointment and failure faced from the bottom of a glass of JD. Dublin did not shoot your dog, run off with your wife and cancel your Garth Brooks concert. Garth Brooks, the GAA and Jim Aitken, all with dollar signs (your hard earned dollars) in their eyes did.
    As for After hours, it is the sewer of the Irish psyche. Book yourself a break in Country lovin' Donegal and take in a bit of line dancing in Derry.
    Also, if you've been here 5 times you should know by now that we generally can't organize a piss up in a brewery!

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Retrovertigo

Grand so, don't let the door hit you on the arse on your way out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭onlyme!

There's a Garth Brooks Tribute Show on, up north!

i'd say he might be busy the coming months!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

ThisRegard wrote: »
    **** joke in fairness.
    not a joke, the poster is right, no difference, the same things happen whether its a match or a concert

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Bear in mind also, that his management would have been aware of what the DCC were saying publicly and so would have had first hand knowledge of what a bunch of fcuking petty amateurs he was dealing with.

400,000 tickets sold and DCC want to single out 80,000 of them.

Any wonder he and his management said enough was enough. Who needs that kind of headache when you are about to embark on a world tour and have singled out a country to perform there. It was a compliment for him to choose Dublin to play these gigs and no matter if you like his music or not, you should at least be able to realize that.

There are things about the days gone by that had to change in this country for sure (Catholic Church dictation, Gombeen politcs, brown envelopes etc) and most of them have been to a great degree in fairness, but I feel that we have lost a lot of good about this country too. We've become too big for our own boots and you would assume the debt we have found ourselves in, and still in, would have snapped us out of that, but it clearly hasn't. If anything we are worse. There is a side to Ireland now that just wants to sneer from the sidelines, forget who were are as a people and generally just begrudge in ways which were once far far from our make-up but boy are we fcuking entrenched with them now. A bitter, sour minority appears to slowly becoming the majority. Cold, atheistic principles seem to be the order of the day now and I think it is without question to the determent of us as a people. A good old line dancing session, following by a swift kick in the arse is what most of them need.

Ah yes, it was the horrible atheists that did it....

Funny, but I'd have thought Brooks concerts being cancelled would surely have convinced even the coldest atheist that maybe there IS a God after all...

It was a compliment for him to choose Dublin to play these gigs and no matter if you like his music or not, you should at least be able to realize that. .

It was in fact, yes, it's unlikely that Garth would have sold out five nights anywhere in the world. Maybe he will now, but if he was to do it anywhere, it was in Croke Park, not just Dublin, some venues, like the Cork Marquee, have that special attraction that just cannot be explained.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

ThisRegard wrote: »
    He's on a months holiday.

He's a canny lad for getting outta dodge when the proverbial hits the aircon isnt he

Ya there are 70000 odd ppl now going to spend there money elsewhere what kind of msg does that send out?
    Does anyone know if anyone had got up off their arse and tried to get them back?

Lols.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

The biggest news of the day is that all five Garth Brooks concerts have been cancelled.

The biggest news of the day is that Israel looks to be beginning an all-out assault on Palestine.

Comparing some country singer's cancellation to the invasion of a nation is obscene.

not a joke, the poster is right, no difference, the same things happen whether its a match or a concert

Well that went way over your head.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Not going to read the whole thread so Im not sure if its been mentioned or not yet, but what about all the interest made from the ticket sales while the money was lodged in the bank? 400,000 tickets @ €80 a ticket = 32 million euros.

Who gets the interest on that while its been in the bank?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Are the government going to step down after this disaster ?

God, I hope so. I've money with Paddy Power that the next general election will be this year.

z

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement