Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

muddypaws wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, which day was your ticket for? I wonder if they're started issuing refunds for the Monday/Tuesday, but not the first 3?

It was for the Saturday night. If by some miracle these concerts go ahead, would ticketmaster reverse the refund on my request do you think? I only called them to update my payment details before the refunds kicked in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

It was for the Saturday night. If by some miracle these concerts go ahead, would ticketmaster reverse the refund on my request do you think? I only called them to update my payment details before the refunds kicked in!

I don't think that'd possible, most likely the tickets are void now so that's that.

Saturday won't happen anyway though so I wouldn't worry about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

Unbelievable that it can be claimed a victory in any shape

city loses 50 million of much needed business
    400,000 fans pushed aside for a tiny minority locked in battle with GAA
    DCC flawed system is unworkable and doesn't take account of the vast majority of those that work and live in the city.
    Local community loses out on 500,000 donation
    Negative impact on tourism both short and long term.

But inflexible flawed law is upheld so the begrudgery of narrow minded naysayers wins out.

DCC and these self interest residential groups have a lot to answer for.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CapricornOne

Tarzana wrote: »
    Firstly, have ALL the residents who lodged complaints withdrawn them?

Secondly, did it ever occur to you that the city manager came to his decision independent of the complaints that were made or at least only used them as one factor of many to be considered?

According to the statement released by DCC, the residents' objections were just one of a number of considerations deliberated upon before determining their decision.

Dublin City Council must have regard to the following when making its decision;

1. The documents including the Plans & Particulars submitted by the applicant including any
    required revisions to the Draft Event Management Plan;

2. Any documents, correspondence, plans and particulars submitted by Statutory Agencies
    and Bodies with regard to the Draft Event Management Plan;

3. All submissions and observations from members of the public;

4. The information highlighted/exchanged at the above mentioned meetings.

For all we know, it mightn't have been the public's objections at all.

nm wrote: »
    Saturday won't happen anyway though so I wouldn't worry about that.

Why do you say that?

• Advertisement

Why do you say that?

Well I'd be surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

visual wrote: »
    Unbelievable that it can be claimed a victory in any shape

city loses 50 million of much needed business
    400,000 fans pushed aside for a tiny minority locked in battle with GAA
    DCC flawed system is unworkable and doesn't take account of the vast majority of those that work and live in the city.
    Local community loses out on 500,000 donation
    Negative impact on tourism both short and long term.

But inflexible flawed law is upheld so the begrudgery of narrow minded naysayers wins out.

DCC and these self interest residential groups have a lot to answer for.

Not trying to sound like I'm attacking you or anything.. But how is the law flawed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Eh, yes, as were the council, yet they did not suggest that any of the objections would be enough to warrant refusing licences. Unless you believe that the GAA, Aiken, Garth Brooks, Brooks management, publicist and Croke Park are lying.

Yes, it is my belief at this stage that they are lying.

"Highly through and professional"?? You have got to be taking the piss.

160,000 get told three weeks before a concert that it's cancelled and you call the process: "highly through and professional" :P
    The tickets where not issued by the DCC and they had 'subject to licence' printed on them. It was a 'buyer beware' situation, what you want the DCC to do about that I don't know.
    The job the DCC are mandated to do was done professionally, with the due process and within the law.

'Hey Garth, guarantee us you'll do four and say no more, we'll put that to the planners. How's that? Will you guarantee you'll do 'em? We won't put it to them unless you do now? Whaddya say? Signals that they were only going to put four concerts to the planners? Is that the signals you're talking about? I mean, the wouldn't send other signals would they. I mean, they wouldn't be sending signals suggesting they were going to do anything short of what they did would they ;)
    That is reputed to have been said by an official and was never afaics a formal offer. If you have a source that confirms it was, please post.
    Can't wait and the signs already are that Keegan is bricking it.

Trying to make sure Oireachtas committee members that also happen to be GAA members are not in a ten mile radius of the building. Sure who could blame him, you'd miss €175,000 a year if it were to go. Especially when you've been getting it for doing feck all.. incompetently.
    You do love your exaggeration, he requested information on who had a vested interest on the committee. And O'Mahony has said it isn't a 'witch hunt' so I don't think his job is on the line.
    I fail to see how doing your job within the law can be seen as 'incompetent'. The DCC's decision was always going to have consequences for somebody, just because you don't like those 'consequences' doesn't for one minute mean that the office is incompetent, I'm afraid.

Well I'd be surprised.

Seems fairly final alright with that aforementioned refund case and the fact that postmortems have been penned in for next week.

Wasn't work supposed to begin today (12th)? Surely a short updated statement by Aiken could put a stop to this nonsense (protests and all).

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Good to see this thread still going in circles

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

If you can prove he's lying be my guest, I've backed up what I've said with a source (Aikens). The onus if on you now to disprove it if you can.

No you haven't - show me a credible source that states he said this,
    Just like last night - you'll point to some media print and say that it is fact.

Don't forget that Aikens pulled the plug when legal action was taken, despite knowing 5 months ago legal action was a possibility.

Why not get all the application in, in good time and so then if needed changes could be made - after all he has it all to lose.

Seems fairly final alright with that aforementioned refund case and the fact that postmortems have been penned in for next week.

Wasn't work supposed to begin today (12th)? Surely a short updated statement by Aiken could put a stop to this nonsense (protests and all).

Aikens already released a statement announcing full cancellation of all 5.

Rightly or wrongly it should really have died then but the DCC begging to re-consider, that weird looking e-mail from Garth Brooks and all the rest of it keep resurrecting it from the grave but Garth is being bull headed about any of the proposed solutions.

At this point I'd like to see it put to bed and lessons learnt, the agreement with the residents revised in full to at least triple the amount of pre-licenced gigs for CP (3 is ridiculous) and then once agreed no flexibility beyond that.

Then the whole matter of subject to licence ended too, and that whole process revised and corrected also for the sake of the promoters and ticket buying public.

Ace2007 wrote: »
    No you haven't - show me a credible source that states he said this,
    Just like last night - you'll point to some media print and say that it is fact.

Not going to bother with this crap, I've already backed everything up, you're a clown with a tinfoil hat and if you want to disprove The Irish Times, The Irish Examiner and every other print media that's up to you to do so.

At this point I'd like to see it put it bed and lessons learnt, the agreement with the residents revised in full to at least triple the amount of pre-licenced gigs for CP (3 is ridiculous) and then once agreed no flexibility beyond that.

Sure when the GAA do up Pairc Ui Caoimh - all concerts be held down there.

Not going to bother with this crap, I've already backed everything up, you're a clown with a tinfoil hat and if you want to disprove The Irish Times, The Irish Examiner and every other print media that's up to you to do so.

They were only quoting what the man said...it doesn't 'prove' anything.
    From the DCC's statement it is fairly clear that there will be a paper trail so we will see soon enough who is telling the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Aikens already released a statement announcing full cancellation of all 5.

Rightly or wrongly it should really have died then but the DCC begging to re-consider, that weird looking e-mail from Garth Brooks and all the rest of it keep resurrecting it from the grave but Garth is being bull headed about any of the proposed solutions.

At this point I'd like to see it put to bed and lessons learnt, the agreement with the residents revised in full to at least triple the amount of pre-licenced gigs for CP (3 is ridiculous) and then once agreed no flexibility beyond that.

Then the whole matter of subject to licence ended too, and that whole process revised and corrected also for the sake of the promoters and ticket buying public.

I think you could probably manage to have more than 3 there, but not at once. I think three at once is a big imposition. One every 2-3 months and you could easily fit 4-5 in without too much hassle.

remember the DCC issues wasn't with the number of concerts over all as much as it was with the number that were happening in a row. That's why they allowed 3 but not 5.

Ok lets look at what the independent quoted Aiken as saying....
    Peter adds he had meetings with Dublin City manager Owen Keegan in relation to the Brooks concerts.And he led you believe that five concerts would be okay? "He didn't lead me to believe that," Peter says, "because they [Dublin City Council] are not going to say that, because you have to submit all the details. If I say, 'I want to do a Garth Brooks concert on a certain date', they say, 'get it in on paper and we'll have a look at it -

So Aiken was never led to believe that the 5 concerts would be ok.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    They were only quoting what the man said...it doesn't 'prove' anything.
    From the DCC's statement it is fairly clear that there will be a paper trail so we will see soon enough who is telling the truth.

That poster asked me for a link to Aikens own website for the statement and suggested he'd only believe it then.

If there is investigations about this, I'm looking forward to hearing all about that injunction with the quick u-turn, that was funded by unnamed sources with a history of battling the GAA and included a suit to wear on the day too.

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Ok lets look at what the independent quoted Aiken as saying....

So Aiken was never led to believe that the 5 concerts would be ok.

Nor was he led to believe it was not okay. So he went ahead with it, being an event organiser and all.

This is so circular it's gotten boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

There is a very good and detailed timeline in the examiner

Irish Examiner

It's too long to quote but some sections stand out.
    February 7 — Dublin City Council confirms that while the GAA headquarters is permitted to host three concerts per year through the 1993 planning permission granted during its redevelopment, additional concerts must be sought through a public event licence, and says it has “not received a public event licence application for the proposed Garth Brooks’ concerts to date”.

There are rumblings of discontent from local residents as rumours of a sixth show do the rounds, with Patrick Gates of the Clonliffe and Croke Park Area Residents’ Association confirming that residents are seeking legal advice and considering looking for an injunction.

February 11 — Peter Aiken, of Aiken Promotions, says no further dates will be added to Brooks’ comeback special “either in Croke Park or anywhere else in Ireland this year”.

February 12 — A meeting between residents and Croke Park officials over the staging of the five Brooks’ gigs and three One Direction concerts fails to find a solution. Local councillors back the residents.

February 19 — Residents threaten protests over the eight concerts.

February 21 — Around a dozen residents protest as delegates arrive for the GAA annual congress.
    How anyone could say there was no indication these concerts were in jeopardy is beyond me. DCC were talking about a licence application in early Feb and the residents told the GAA they had concerns on Feb 12

Grayson wrote: »
    I think you could probably manage to have more than 3 there, but not at once. I think three at once is a big imposition. One every 2-3 months and you could easily fit 4-5 in without too much hassle.

remember the DCC issues wasn't with the number of concerts over all as much as it was with the number that were happening in a row. That's why they allowed 3 but not 5.

Fair enough, well hopefully all this can be ironed out now once we're out the other side of this mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Yeah ! The Irish Times and Irish Examiner would never ever ever print anything that wasn't 100% true !! shame on him !

That poster asked me for a link to Aikens own website for the statement and suggested he'd only believe it then.

If there is investigations about this, I'm looking forward to hearing all about that injunction with the quick u-turn, that was funded by unnamed sources with a history of battling the GAA and included a suit to wear on the day too.

The concerts had been cancelled, why would you continue with an expensive court case to stop them?

And the suit nonsense came from the Sindo's lexicon of slant, an 'unnamed source'...in other words, lets plant a subliminal image in the minds of the gullible readers what type of man this is and lets make this perfectly legal and rightful challenge look as sinister as we can.
    Evidently that worked. :rolleyes:

Piliger wrote: »
    Yeah ! The Irish Times and Irish Examiner would never ever ever print anything that wasn't 100% true !! shame on him !

I'm sure it's been proven that they have. Do you care to prove it this time?

They may have misquoted someone in the past isn't going to cut it. I can't believe I'm even still replying on this ridiculous point.

Is it that you don't believe Aikens? Or that you do, and don't believe the papers or think they've ALL misquoted him?

Make your mind up at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

Not trying to sound like I'm attacking you or anything.. But how is the law flawed?

Licence that is granted should be based on pratical considerations and safety to support the interest of everyone.

There is no flexibility
    there is no conditions like prior or partial approval must be granted before any tickets can be sold.

While it may take a long time to ensure all the boxes are ticked to give approval it can be very obvious when its a no runner at the very start.

There is no opportunity for appeal

why many will blame GAA greed the fact is they are working within DCC system that sets the durations and timing for applications.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    The concerts had been cancelled, why would you continue with an expensive court case to stop them?

And the suit nonsense came from the Sindo's lexicon of slant, an 'unnamed source'...in other words, lets plant a subliminal image in the minds of the gullible readers what type of man this is and lets make this perfectly legal and rightful challenge look as sinister as we can.
    Evidently that worked. :rolleyes:

They were quoting Brian Duff, who said that individuals who "wanted to take the GAA down" funded the EUR15k.

Maybe it's nothing, but it's definitely worth investigating which was my point.

I don't have 15k in my back pocket, do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

You're missing the point, maybe on purpose, who knows but I'll try again.

I'm not comparing the concerts to water charges. I'm saying that there is always something worse going on, it doesn't mean people can't protest whatever they like and is effecting them.

Issue wise:

Homlessness > Garth Brooks concerts

also

People dying (eg: Gaza) > Water charges.

People can protest whatever they like even though there is a greater issue out there, which there almost always will be.

Just try, really try now, to grasp that point.

but a cancelled concert is about as first world problem as you can get.

They were quoting Brian Duff, who said that individuals who "wanted to take the GAA down" funded the EUR15k.

Maybe it's nothing, but it's definitely worth investigating which was my point.

I don't have 15k in my back pocket, do you?

Unnamed people fund court cases all the time.
    Why is it worth 'investigating' and who is going to bother investigating.

What are you saying happened here, other that there are those within the GAA (myself included) who are concerned with how the corporate wing, namely Croke Park Inc are behaving, and need to be taken down a peg or two? :confused:

• Advertisement

"Outside the GPO in Dublin today. We could protest about #Gaza, #Syria, #Chemtrails but Garth Brooks is more important "

twitter.com/EvilPresidentes/status/487930643830288384/photo/1

Smh...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement