Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Unnamed people fund court cases all the time.
    Why is it worth 'investigating' and who is going to bother investigating.

What are you saying happened here, other that there are those within the GAA (myself included) who are concerned with how the corporate wing, namely Croke Park Inc are behaving, and need to be taken down a peg or two? :confused:

Are you willing to donate 15k for that concern?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

nm wrote: »
    Nor was he led to believe it was not okay. So he went ahead with it, being an event organiser and all.

This is so circular it's gotten boring.

Most trolls don't get bored - your not a good as EOTR obv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

"Outside the GPO in Dublin today. We could protest about #Gaza, #Syria, #Chemtrails but Garth Brooks is more important "

twitter.com/EvilPresidentes/status/487930643830288384/photo/1

Smh...

In fairness protesting the cancellation of Garth Brooks makes more sense than protesting chemtrails :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Are you willing to donate 15k for that concern?

Yes, I would donate to a court case, I have also raised it at county board level as have a lot of other members and I have written in protest at decisions taken for purely profit motives.
    There is deep division within the GAA over these things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Protest in Dublin city over cancellation of Garth Brooks Croke Park concerts

Around 50 Garth Brooks fans took to Dublin city centre today in protest of Dublin City Council’s decision to only grant licences to three out of the original five of the country superstar's gigs at Croke Park.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/protest-in-dublin-city-over-cancellation-of-garth-brooks-croke-park-concerts-30426453.html

Best bit:
    "Barbara from Crumlin ruled out the suggestion that he could perform matinee shows to make up the five concerts in three days."

Time to start blaming aul Babs too!

Nor was he led to believe it was not okay. So he went ahead with it, being an event organiser and all.

Why do you believe him and not the DCC? Wouldn't be because you had tickets would it?

Sources say that some of them where lent stetsons.
    Irish Independent.

Why do you believe him and not the DCC? Wouldn't be because you had tickets would it?

I didn't have tickets, I'm not a fan

Irish Independent.

Oh no, they borrowed Stetsons, SCANDAL!!!

• Advertisement

I didn't have tickets, I'm not a fan

Then tell us why you favour Aiken's version over the DCC's?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Unnamed people fund court cases all the time.
    Why is it worth 'investigating' and who is going to bother investigating.

What are you saying happened here, other that there are those within the GAA (myself included) who are concerned with how the corporate wing, namely Croke Park Inc are behaving, and need to be taken down a peg or two?
    a bunch of people who wish to destroy the GAA, who are probably anti-irish also, funded a man to take a case against the GAA for no good reason, using the concerts as the perfect opportunity to take a case against the GAA, rather pathetic really

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

So people can't complain and protest against things because other people are in a worse situation? The same could be said for any protest, the chances are there are much worse things happening in the world than what's being protested about.

People can protest a cancelled concert if they want. They'd just look fúcking ridiculous doing so, but hey, tis their life.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CapricornOne

a bunch of people who wish to destroy the GAA, who are probably anti-irish also, funded a man to take a case against the GAA for no good reason, using the concerts as the perfect opportunity to take a case against the GAA, rather pathetic really

Would you like a tinfoil hat with your order? :rolleyes:

Then tell us why you favour Aiken's version over the DCC's?

Are they even disputing that Aikens contacted them? Can someone link me

why would he believe DCC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭fta93

Once again, back up your wild accusations please. You still haven't provided evidence to your slanderous allegations that the residents are all money grabbers.
    Prove they're anti Irish. Prove they want to destroy the GAA.

Anti-Irish? :D:D:D

A bunch of people who are concerned at the activities and the damage being done by corporate Croke Park and who have no wish to damage the GAA organisation.

Just like the residents this issue is being ignored, a court injunction would demand that those issues are dealt with.

why would he believe DCC

I doubt that Keegan would put his job on line by stating something he can't back up with evidence.
    That alone would sway me in favour of the DCC's version. He is probably precluded from releasing correspondence at this stage and will be asked for it at the Dail committee meeting I am sure.
    There was nothing to stop Aiken though and he hasn't produced anything to back up his contention. I am sure there where plenty of emails flying back and forth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭heartseeker

bumper234 wrote: »
    And that's where things started going wrong. When 3 concerts were announced the residents were pissed off but said nothing. When concert #4 was announced there was grumblings of discontent but nothing said. When Aiken announced concert #5 that was the final straw and that's when the objections started.

This times a thosand.This quote sums up the whole debacle.The nerve arrogance and downright wilful ignorance of aiken promo for operating outside legal frameworks and local agreements put in place is staggering and obnoxious.Greed is the main component here and imo Brooks is totally complicit.Im convinced they both thought they could use all means through media manipulation,guilttripping around the economic benefits and bullying dcc into getting their own way.For aiken to suggest that GB would only be breaking even on the 3 concerts is laughable and is down millions.Most costs are covered by the promoter in the first instance.Getting himself,his backing staff and stage props and equipment over does not cost millions and it is an ongoing attempt by aiken promo to not back down and admit their mistake.To bang about the fact that if 4 concerts were granted why not 5 is disingenuous and flagrant standpoint to be adopting and can only serve to move concerned parties away from a resolution.It exhibits a very ungrateful and unhelpful attitude towards DCC who granted an extra night despite protests and obvious restrictions that had already been put in place with CP and concerned residents.Give some people an inch and they take a mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Yes, it is my belief at this stage that they are lying.

It's a conspiracy between them all I guess.
    The tickets where not issued by the DCC and they had 'subject to licence' printed on them. It was a 'buyer beware' situation, what you want the DCC to do about that I don't know.
    You're honestly making that point. Seriously?

ALL tickets which are sold are 'subject to licence'. That is part of the problem and I never said the DCC could do something about it. What I said was, that they shouldn't have waited until three weeks before the largest event this city will see this year, or has seen it quite a number of years, takes place, to make their decision. Sooner or later the penny will drop on that with you. Well, hopefully it will, but evidence so far would suggest it may not. C'est la vie.
    The job the DCC are mandated to do was done professionally, with the due process and within the law.
    Oh ffs. "Due process" ?? I may as well be talking to a wall.

Aiken applied for the licences on April 17th! FOUR WEEKS before the deadline. The law stipulates the DCC wait five weeks before making a decision (window for the submission for complaints). Which means, Dublin City Council could legally grant or refuse the applications from from May 22nd! Yet, it took them until July 2nd to do so.

That is NOT "due process". It is a disgraceful amount of time to take when deciding whether or not to grant licences for an event which 400,000 people amount to attend in Dublin City.
    That is reputed to have been said by an official and was never afaics a formal offer. If you have a source that confirms it was, please post.
    They made a formal offer to put four to the planners, but said they would only do if Brooks "guaranteed" he would commit to doing the four concerts. The DCC themselves have confirmed they did that, as you well know. Asking someone to commit to four, before putting it to the planners, makes zero sense.The planners should be looking at the application for five and then deciding what the maximum is they are willing to grant. It should come into it whether Brooks is willing to commit to the four if they grant them, that should be irrelevant and shows just how incompetent they are. Their decisions should be based on safety matters, concerns of the residents etc etc. You wouldn't expect it from a bunch of second hand car sales men ffs.
    You do love your exaggeration, he requested information on who had a vested interest on the committee. And O'Mahony has said it isn't a 'witch hunt' so I don't think his job is on the line.
    I exaggerated nothing and the notion that Keegan is subject to a witch hunt is absurd.
    I fail to see how doing your job within the law can be seen as 'incompetent'. The DCC's decision was always going to have consequences for somebody, just because you don't like those 'consequences' doesn't for one minute mean that the office is incompetent, I'm afraid.
    He didn't do his job in a sufficient manner.

July 2nd is a disgraceful time to announce you are not licencing two nights of an event which over 400,000 are due to attend on July 25th-29th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Epic facebook post from one of the various protesters there today -

"Very annoying the way the haters are like wat bout this wat bout that .do they not actually realise the revenue it could bring yes to Our country... THERE country I swear there half inbread twats !!!!"

:D

I'm amazed they got the spelling of revenue right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Garth tries to contact Enda and Enda ignores him
    Meanwhile, it has emerged that Garth Brooks' management have directly reached out to Taoiseach Enda Kenny in a bid to salvage the five Croke Park concerts.

"We have tried to reach out but his immediate camp has not heard anything back yet," said a source close to Brooks last night.

It is understood an email was sent to Mr Kenny in the hope of getting an agreement to allow the five cancelled concerts to take place later this month.

However, late last night, it seemed there had been little movement. "We believe he has a lot on his plate today forming a new government," added the source.
    I must have been asleep for the general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Duiske wrote: »
    Seems the man's knowledge of geography is on a par with his knowledge of planning law.

Years back I was backpacking in Costa Rica and hitched a lift with two Americans who had lived there for 15 years. They told me that Americans knowledge of geography can be so bad that most people they knew at home couldn't place Costa Rica on a map. Yet it is only 2,000 miles due south of Florida. But whatever about that, it's one thing not to know where it is and an entirely different thing to not know that Costa Rica even exists as a country, which Garth Brooks said. FFS it is 2,000 miles away and he has never even heard of it :rolleyes: The equivalent here would be an Irish person not knowing that Spain is a country or even ever having heard of it.
    Can the healy raes do anything?

Lol that's the one thing this story is missing- an offer from the Healy-Rae's to host the 5 nights on their farm in Kilgarvan with the promise of hassle free planning permission upfront "unlike those jackeens up in Dublin with their rules and stuff"

The real elephant in the room here is the Croke Park stadium.
    Back in the 90's when they started to build the modern facility [with some of our money by the way] a decision should have been made to move the whole caboodle out to City West, or somewhere like it.

Then they could hold events in it 365, if they could get the bums on the seats,
    [which should really be the only consideration].

I know what you're saying and largely agree. However no matter what way you look at it Croke Park is a sporting venue. If the GAA would just leave it there then we wouldn't have a problem.
    Think about it another way- how many places are there in the country where you could hold a concert for 80,000 people ? When you include private estates, castles and racecourses across the country the options are almost unlimited. What is limited is the amount of artists out there who can sell 80,000+ tickets in Ireland. In reality there is probably less than 15 acts in the world right now who could sell out an 80,000 show, Id say Lord Henry Mountcharles, knows who they are more than anyone.
    So given that there is limitless locations in Ireland where an 80,000+Crowd can be hosted why don't the planners just say to Croker and the Aviva 'look your job is sport, not music' and instead favour applications for large scale gigs to go ahead in private country estates, the types or places with 300+ acres of woodlands and no neighbours. Or Punchestown or Fairyhouse, both huge racecourses just outside Dublin yet convenient for people coming from the west or south.
    There's any number of good places in Ireland where big gigs could be held. Slane is a world renowned venue and it really showcases Ireland. There's probably other potential venues as good and as scenic as Slane out there too yet we always seem to insist on a GAA stadium or a rugby one.

50 people protesting against "the system" outside the GPO :)

Saw that earlier. 50 people as a percentage of 400,000 people is 0.01%. So we can now say with confidence that 99.9% of ticket holders couldn't care less at this stage. Barbara from Crumlin is the 0.01%
    Cienciano wrote: »
    Poor Garth Brooks, he's struggling for money. I thought it was about the fans with GB anyway, not the money?
    And he has 3 gigs, possibly 4. Considering he originally thought 2 was all he was getting so he'd be making a profit form that. 4 gigs would have been a massive profit for him. And I don't believe this extra big stage people are talking about can only be afforded if he gets 5 gigs.

I'm not buying the 'scaling up' argument either. I'm not saying it's bull, fair enough when 5 gigs sold out they decided to add extra special effects but unless they were planning on building a rollercoaster inside the stadium I don't buy the idea that the scaling up was suddenly going to make a 3 date show unprofitable and only feasible if done for five. I don't buy that because in the grand scale of things items like special effects, pyrotechnics, etc would be probably under 10% of the entire budget to stage a show like this. The Brooks camp is trying to get us to believe that these special effects increased the shows budget by 50% or something and I just don't buy that. If anything you'd be getting a better price from whatever company does the special effects as they are now working 5 nights instead of 3.

On top of that the stage is the stage and will get reused again. Maybe not in it's Croke Park entirety but at the end of the day it's made of scaffolding and rigging, all reusable parts.
    They were quoting Brian Duff, who said that individuals who "wanted to take the GAA down" funded the EUR15k.

Maybe it's nothing, but it's definitely worth investigating which was my point.

I don't have 15k in my back pocket, do you?

That was one tentacle of this story that made it even more bizarre. I don't know if it was the Indo just making stuff up or of there was any truth in it. But the story went that members of the GAA from north and south of the border approached the Croke Park resident and paid him €15,000 to mount a legal challenge against the GAA. The article said that the members wanted to 'take the GAA down'. It didn't go into any further detail. I'm not sure if the insinuation was that some members of the GAA are furious with the policies coming out of the Central Council in Croker (re: Sky Sports, concerts at Croker, any foreign games really). If true then we have just seen the emergence of the Real GAA or should that be Continuity GAA ? Much as I'd love to believe the story is another Indo fabrication there was a lot of anger in GAA circles about the Sky Sports thing so maybe some renegade members saw an opportunity to put manners on Central Council and rode with it.
    Podge83 wrote: »
    Good to see this thread still going in circles

Oh yeah, and round we'll keep going:pac: End game shouldn't be too far away though, Monday should finally see this goose buried.

This times a thosand.This quote sums up the whole debacle.The nerve arrogance and downright wilful ignorance of aiken promo for operating outside legal frameworks and local agreements put in place is staggering and obnoxious.Greed is the main component here and imo Brooks is totally complicit.Im convinced they both thought they could use all means through media manipulation,guilttripping around the economic benefits and bullying dcc into getting their own way.For aiken to suggest that GB would only be breaking even on the 3 concerts is laughable and is down millions.Most costs are covered by the promoter in the first instance.Getting himself,his backing staff and stage props and equipment over does not cost millions and it is an ongoing attempt by aiken promo to not back down and admit their mistake.To bang about the fact that if 4 concerts were granted why not 5 is disingenuous and flagrant standpoint to be adopting and can only serve to move concerned parties away from a resolution.It exhibits a very ungrateful and unhelpful attitude towards DCC who granted an extra night despite protests and obvious restrictions that had already been put in place with CP and concerned residents.Give some people an inch and they take a mile.
    nothing to do with greed at all, just simple public demand, the more demand the more concerts, it was just a few vocal residents who have issues in general with the GAA using this and 400000 people ended up suffering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    How anyone could say there was no indication these concerts were in jeopardy is beyond me. DCC were talking about a licence application in early Feb and the residents told the GAA they had concerns on Feb 12

Eh, you're suggesting that when there are resident complaints, that this should somehow be indicative of the DCC being clear all along that the concerts may not get licenced? And that promoters shouldn't really be surprised when concerts are cancelled three weeks before they are due to take place, if there are resident complaints also?

Really have heard it all now.

I suggest you familiarize yourself with the situation between Croke Park residents and the GAA and also take a look into the history of disputes between the two and how the residents are no stranger to lodging complaints about upcoming concerts.

Aiken followed the same procedure that he / they always do. They broke no rules. In fact, they followed them in a far more time efficient and timely manner than the DCC did, in that they applied for licences four weeks before they had to. It was the DCC who sauntered from May 25th through July 2nd, not thinking it might be a good idea to let 160,000 people know that they were refusing to licence concerts which those ticket holders had held tickets to for five months and of course, for which they had made plans around, booked flights and hotels for. Christ, how anyone could think they did their job well is maddening.

It's a conspiracy between them all I guess.

You're honestly making that point. Seriously?

ALL tickets which are sold are 'subject to licence'. That is part of the problem and I never said the DCC could do something about it. What I said was, that they shouldn't have waited until three weeks before the largest event this city will see this year, or has seen it quite a number of years, takes place, to make their decision. Sooner or later the penny will drop on that with you. Well, hopefully it will, but evidence so far would suggest it may not. C'est la vie.

What difference would the timing have made...the tickets and nights where sold out. No matter when they made their decision known to Aiken the problem would be the same.
    Oh ffs. "Due process" ?? I may as well be talking to a wall.

Aiken applied for the licences on April 17th! FOUR WEEKS before the deadline. The law stipulates the DCC wait five weeks before making a decision (window for the submission for complaints). Which means, Dublin City Council could legally grant or refuse the applications from from May 22nd! Yet, it took them until July 2nd to do so.

That is NOT "due process". It is a disgraceful amount of time to take when deciding whether or not to grant licences for an event which 400,000 people amount to attend in Dublin City.
    The tickets for all 5 concerts where sold out on Feb 6th. As I said, your preceived tardiness of the DCC would not have made a difference to the problem that has arisen.
    Whether they were sold out or not could not affect their deliberations or considerations of the Licence application.
    The lesson promoters have to learn is that no event is too big to refuse.
    They made a formal offer to put four to the planners, but said they would only do if Brooks "guaranteed" he would commit to doing the four concerts. The DCC themselves have confirmed they did that, as you well know. Asking someone to commit to four, before putting it to the planners, makes zero sense.The planners should be looking at the application for five and then deciding what the maximum is they are willing to grant. It should come into it whether Brooks is willing to commit to the four if they grant them, that should be irrelevant and shows just how incompetent they are. Their decisions should be based on safety matters, concerns of the residents etc etc. You wouldn't expect it from a bunch of second hand car sales men ffs.

Fire up a link to where the DCC comment on this, I have only read newspaper articles on it.
    I exaggerated nothing and the notion that Keegan is subject to a witch hunt is absurd. He didn't do his job in a sufficient manner.

'Within a ten mile radius of the dail' is exaggerating a tad.:rolleyes:

And don't you actually mean 'he didn't do his job to sufficiently ensure the 5 nights went ahead'? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭badabing106

Because every big concert has different stage and floor plans which need to be made, confirmed and finalised. This usually happens along time after ticket sales

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement