Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    Garth tries to contact Enda and Enda ignores him

I must have been asleep for the general election.

The Indo and their 'sources close' again. :rolleyes:

Because every big concert has different stage and floor plans which need to be made, confirmed and finalised. This usually happens along time after ticket sales

You can submit an updated Event Management Plan, there was nothing to stop them making the application.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Sick of this now..
    I know for a fact no matter what any off you DCC brigade say(and it's just negative waffle btw)if it was One Direction and 400,000 kids where being treated like this... Well it doesn't bare thinking how you would react, and you would all open your eyes and see that DCC have made a huge boo boo(to say the least)and cost the Country Millions, never mind the ensuing back-lash....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Eh, your suggesting that when there are resident complaints, that this should somehow be indicative that the DCC made it clear all along that the concerts may not get licenced and that promoters shouldn't really be surprised when concerts are cancelled three weeks before as a result of that?
    Don't know how you infer that from what I posted - I never said that DCC made it clear all along.
    What is actually in that article is that residents told the GAA in February they would consider legal action. That says fairly early on that these concerts could be in jeopardy. If the GAA couldn't see that they are incredibly thick or arrogant.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

B0jangles wrote: »

I can't believe a load of northies are protesting outside leinster house about Garth Brooks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CapricornOne

ardle1 wrote: »
    if it was One Direction and 400,000 kids where being treated like this... Well it doesn't bare thinking how you would react

I actually think people would give less of a sh!t tbh :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Sick of this now..
    I know for a fact no matter what any off you DCC brigade say(and it's just negative waffle btw)if it was One Direction and 400,000 kids where being treated like this... Well it doesn't bare thinking how you would react, and you would all open your eyes and see that DCC have made a huge boo boo(to say the least)and cost the Country Millions, never mind the ensuing back-lash....

I've never been part of a brigade before, interesting. Can you please enlighten me as to what I would say if it was 1D and kids were 'being treated like this'?

I am very worried about a back-lash though, especially when you consider the huge amount of people who turned out to protest about the gigs not going ahead today. Apparently buses were arranged from all over the country - I would have thought cars would have sufficed, but I guess an empty bus is more comfortable to travel in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Because every big concert has different stage and floor plans which need to be made, confirmed and finalised. This usually happens along time after ticket sales
    Not true, when they actually applied for the licences there were loads of draft plans that would be finalised at a later date.

http://crokepark.ie/getmedia/409e1110-3ab6-4c80-aaee-9fd3916a4d5e/Licence_Application_Garth_Brooks.pdfAppication here

Edit-this is from the actual application
    A Preliminary Planning Meeting will be held three months prior to the event on a date TBC.

A plan of the event layout showing the approximate position of the stage, the front – of – stage barriers,
    the mixing tower and the standing/seating accommodation with the sterile areas clearly shown will be
    available at the Preliminary Planning Meeting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

Sick of this now..

If it was 400,000 cuddly puppies up for a dog show, it'd be the same reaction: organisers did not follow due procedure because they arrogantly thought they'd get away with it, and it's not DCC's fault that 400,000 fans were sold pigs in a poke for tickets. Most of those millions in revenue are still in the pockets of ticket-holders and will be spent on other things in the economy instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

nothing to do with greed at all, just simple public demand, the more demand the more concerts, it was just a few vocal residents who have issues in general with the GAA using this and 400000 people ended up suffering

Dunno why it bothers you so much, not like you had a ticket anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,963 ✭✭✭✭JRant

It's a conspiracy between them all I guess.

You're honestly making that point. Seriously?

ALL tickets which are sold are 'subject to licence'. That is part of the problem and I never said the DCC could do something about it. What I said was, that they shouldn't have waited until three weeks before the largest event this city will see this year, or has seen it quite a number of years, takes place, to make their decision. Sooner or later the penny will drop on that with you. Well, hopefully it will, but evidence so far would suggest it may not. C'est la vie.

Oh ffs. "Due process" ?? I may as well be talking to a wall.

Aiken applied for the licences on April 17th! FOUR WEEKS before the deadline. The law stipulates the DCC wait five weeks before making a decision (window for the submission for complaints). Which means, Dublin City Council could legally grant or refuse the applications from from May 22nd! Yet, it took them until July 2nd to do so.

That is NOT "due process". It is a disgraceful amount of time to take when deciding whether or not to grant licences for an event which 400,000 people amount to attend in Dublin City.

They made a formal offer to put four to the planners, but said they would only do if Brooks "guaranteed" he would commit to doing the four concerts. The DCC themselves have confirmed they did that, as you well know. Asking someone to commit to four, before putting it to the planners, makes zero sense.The planners should be looking at the application for five and then deciding what the maximum is they are willing to grant. It should come into it whether Brooks is willing to commit to the four if they grant them, that should be irrelevant and shows just how incompetent they are. Their decisions should be based on safety matters, concerns of the residents etc etc. You wouldn't expect it from a bunch of second hand car sales men ffs.

I exaggerated nothing and the notion that Keegan is subject to a witch hunt is absurd. He didn't do his job in a sufficient manner.

July 2nd is a disgraceful time to announce you are not licencing two nights of an event which over 400,000 are due to attend on July 25th-29th.

Largest event this city has seen in years? Are you for real.

The Giro D'Italia rolled through this country only a matter of weeks ago. It was seen by millions of people all over the world. Had nearly 1 million people out on the streets in the 3 days it was here and amazingly had no issue with getting licenses. That is because the organisers of that event are professional and know what they are doing.

They would have had to submit detailed traffic management plans, close off roads, get licenses for the helicopters to follow the peleton (even when it was quite close to the airport) and all the rest that goes with such a large event. They did all that without a hitch and here's the kicker, it was free for all spectators. Yet a promotional company in the business years couldn't get their act together for a few concerts.

The Giro has done more for tourism in this country than a 100 GB gigs. People from all over the world were taken aback by the beauty of the Irish country side while watching this event and will no doubt be planning holidays here on the back of it.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Muise... wrote: »
    If it was 400,000 cuddly puppies up for a dog show, it'd be the same reaction: organisers did not follow due procedure because they arrogantly thought they'd get away with it, and it's not DCC's fault that 400,000 fans were sold pigs in a poke for tickets. Most of those millions in revenue are still in the pockets of ticket-holders and will be spent on other things in the economy instead.

ah now I don't know, I might want a blind eye to be turned for 400,000 cuddly puppies. I wouldn't want to be part of the clean up crew though :eek:

JRant wrote: »
    Largest event this city has seen in years? Are you for real.

The Giro D'Italia rolled through this country only a matter of weeks ago. It was seen by millions of people all over the world. Had nearly 1 million people out on the streets in the 3 days it was here and amazingly had no issue with getting licenses. That is because the organisers of that event are professional and know what they are doing.

They would have had to submit detailed traffic management plans, close off roads, get licenses for the helicopters to follow the peleton (even when it was quite close to the airport) and all the rest that goes with such a large event. They did all that without a hitch and here's the kicker, it was free for all spectators. Yet a promotional company in the business years couldn't get their act together for a few concerts.

The Giro has done more for tourism in this country than a 100 GB gigs. People from all over the world were taken aback by the beauty of the Irish country side while watching this event and will no doubt be planning holidays here on the back of it.

+1 ^

My advice to anybody dealing with planning (having built a house and a business premises and from being involved in multiple festivals and music events) is to LISTEN to what you are being told and comply, otherwise you won't get your permission.
    On the basis of that experience I simply don't believe Aiken's version of his dealings with planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

bumper234 wrote: »
    Dunno why it bothers you so much, not like you had a ticket anyway.
    because people shouldn't be able to use concerts and the rest of the country as part of their vendetta against a particular organisation

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Sick of this now..

The same?

One Direction came first and were within the acceptable limits. Sucks to be GB fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

nothing to do with greed at all, just simple public demand, the more demand the more concerts, it was just a few vocal residents who have issues in general with the GAA using this and 400000 people ended up suffering

Ah yea here you go again.

You ignore that people bought tickets knowing full well that it was subject to licence, not one was buying tickets blind. They knew there was a possibility that the event would not go ahead.

Your also ignore the planning laws, which state a licence must be had before tickets sold event promoted etc.

So in order.

1. Law was broke.
    2. People bought tickets subject to licence.
    3. Residents raised issues about the 5 nights in a row.
    4. DCC awarded licence for 3.
    5. GB said 5 or none.
    6. Legal action was taken.
    7. Aiken cancelled all concerts (only after action was taken).

Aiken knew there were issues with the residents from Day 1 - but he didn't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

because people shouldn't be able to use concerts and the rest of the country as part of their vendetta against a particular organisation

Rest of the country?

How many of the 400,000 tickets do you reckon were bought in the Irish state? maybe 250k? which equates to about 5% of the population.

I would say the majority of the country couldn't care less about this concert.

People have a right to protest against nuisance (that is enshrined in our laws) and they have a right to be listened to (enshrined in every Planning office)
    What happened here is they where listened to this time, they weren't on many occasions.
    As the old saying goes...You win some, you lose some. If Aiken/GAA wish to win them all, then they have to remove the reasons for objections, that is; reaching a watertight and enforceable agreement with residents. Very simple really.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    +1 ^

My advice to anybody dealing with planning (having built a house and a business premises and from being involved in multiple festivals and music events) is to LISTEN to what you are being told and comply, otherwise you won't get your permission.
    On the basis of that experience I simply don't believe Aiken's version of his dealings with planning.

Exactly.

It's not like the planning process changed during the period in question. The residents were important stakeholders in this process yet GAA/Aiken thought they could more or less ignore them.

If you're applying for planning permission to build a house it only takes 1 well founded objection to scuttle your plans. That's why it's always best practice to cosy up to the neighbours early and iron out any issues before getting to the objections stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,368 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

If the Dublin concerts do not go ahead there will be massive demand from Irish fans to see him elsewhere. Probably sell out wembley in minutes from ticketmaster.ie alone.

This is another fact being over looked by the people saying that the concerts not happening won't effect money spent in the economy. A lot of money will be leaving the county when Irish people travel abroad to see him.

Ha, no chance. The amount of people I know who were scrambling to get tickets for this having never mentioned Garth Brooks before was unreal. Novelty factor and marketing.

• Advertisement

The rest of the country have nothing to do with a local planning matter in Dublin city.

As you've stated about 850 million times already, they choose to live in that area therefore it's their business how they deal with this process. If they want to lodge objections then that's their business. You choose not to live there so mind your own business thank you very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

People shouldn't have to put up with almost half million people walking past their doors at all hours for 5 nights. People shouldn't have to get their homes pissed on when concerts are on and people shouldn't just assume that they can bully their way past laws and regulations. Licences applied for does not equal licences granted. So much for your cock sure 5 nights will definitely go ahead, too big to cancel attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

JRant wrote: »

Do you have a source for that, or are you just hoping it's true?

I watched it on Eurosport and they continuously talked about the awful weather, how many riders had difficulties getting visas before the race and didn't really want to be here at all.

Then there's the bomb that was found on the same day and reported all over the world.. I'd say that done wonders for tourism all right

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling/australian-cycling-team-shocked-after-hearing-dublin-car-bomb-could-have-targeted-giro-ditalia-20140513-zrapt.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

What are the odds that emergency legislation to facilitate this event will be rushed through the Dáil and signed by Michael D. by the end of next week?

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Ah yea here you go again.

You ignore that people bought tickets knowing full well that it was subject to licence, not one was buying tickets blind. They knew there was a possibility that the event would not go ahead.

Your also ignore the planning laws, which state a licence must be had before tickets sold event promoted etc.

So in order.

1. Law was broke.
    2. People bought tickets subject to licence.
    3. Residents raised issues about the 5 nights in a row.
    4. DCC awarded licence for 3.
    5. GB said 5 or none.
    6. Legal action was taken.
    7. Aiken cancelled all concerts (only after action was taken).

Aiken knew there were issues with the residents from Day 1 - but he didn't care.
    no law was broken, legal action was taken because of issues with the GAA in general, the concerts were used as bate

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CapricornOne

snubbleste wrote: »
    What are the odds that emergency legislation to facilitate this event will be rushed through the Dáil and signed by Michael D. by the end of next week?

Refunds begin on Tuesday. I'd say nil.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    People have a right to protest against nuisance (that is enshrined in our laws) and they have a right to be listened to (enshrined in every Planning office)
    What happened here is they where listened to this time, they weren't on many occasions.
    As the old saying goes...You win some, you lose some. If Aiken/GAA wish to win them all, then they have to remove the reasons for objections, that is; reaching a watertight and enforceable agreement with residents. Very simple really.
    there should be no agreement with residents now after this, maybe the few objectors could sell up, i'm sure the GAA would give them a good price

snubbleste wrote: »

Honestly? No bookies would give you odds for it. PP closed the book a couple of days ago didn't they?

Do you have a source for that, or are you just hoping it's true?

I watched it on Eurosport and they continuously talked about the awful weather, how many riders had difficulties getting visas before the race and didn't really want to be here at all.

Then there's the bomb that was found on the same day and reported all over the world.. I'd say that done wonders for tourism all right

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling/australian-cycling-team-shocked-after-hearing-dublin-car-bomb-could-have-targeted-giro-ditalia-20140513-zrapt.html

Here you go

http://m.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-27359912

That device was found in Lucan, miles away from anywhere near the Giro route.

There's absolutely no links at all, no matter how tenuous, to say that this was mean't for the Giro. For all we know they might have been waiting for GB to turn up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

muddypaws wrote: »
    ah now I don't know, I might want a blind eye to be turned for 400,000 cuddly puppies. I wouldn't want to be part of the clean up crew though :eek:

Arra muddypaws, I'm only after mopping the floor! Bad puppy! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement