Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

JRant wrote: »
    The rest of the country have nothing to do with a local planning matter in Dublin city.

As you've stated about 850 million times already, they choose to live in that area therefore it's their business how they deal with this process. If they want to lodge objections then that's their business. You choose not to live there so mind your own business thank you very much.
    i will not mind my business when money is lost to the dublin economy which could be spent on something to do with dublin that could benefit me in the future, as i said they did choose to live there so they should get on with it or sell up

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

no law was broken, legal action was taken because of issues with the GAA in general, the concerts were used as bate

I see you haven't read section 230 of the Planning and Development Act.

I'll quote if for you - cause I know you won't read it otherwise.
    230.—(1) Subject to subsection (4), a licence shall be required in respect of the holding of an event or class of event prescribed for the purpose of this section

(2) When prescribing events or classes of events under subsection (1), the Minister shall have regard to the size, location, nature or other attributes of the event or class of event.

(3) Any person who—

(a) organises, promotes, holds or is otherwise materially involved in the organisation of an event to which this section applies, or

(b) is in control of land on which an event to which this section applies is held,

other than under and in accordance with a licence, shall be guilty of an offence.

So the concert was organised and promoted without a licence and hence breaks this law.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

bumper234 wrote: »
    People shouldn't have to put up with almost half million people walking past their doors at all hours for 5 nights. People shouldn't have to get their homes pissed on when concerts are on and people shouldn't just assume that they can bully their way past laws and regulations. Licences applied for does not equal licences granted. So much for your cock sure 5 nights will definitely go ahead, too big to cancel attitude.
    well if you don't want that sort of stuff don't live there, sell up, move somewhere else

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

there should be no agreement with residents now after this, maybe the few objectors could sell up, i'm sure the GAA would give them a good price

wow. Lets now 'suggest' that people move house so that others can go to entertainment events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

well if you don't want that sort of stuff don't live there, sell up, move somewhere else

So now we should be bullying people into moving out of their homes? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

there should be no agreement with residents now after this, maybe the few objectors could sell up, i'm sure the GAA would give them a good price

Watch this space - The GAA will never try this again.

The concerts were only officially cancelled by Aiken after legal action was taken because they knew that if it went to court the residents would win.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,963 ✭✭✭✭JRant

no law was broken, legal action was taken because of issues with the GAA in general, the concerts were used as bate

Of course it was.

Judge "so what is the legal basis for this case being brought infront of me"

Barrister "em err well you see m'lord it's a general issue"

Judge "don't waste my time, dismissed"

You can't get an injuction for a general issue.

Ah why bother, sure they choose to live there, compo compo compo, am I doing it right?

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Maybe the GAA should sell up and move to a Green field on the edge of the city and build their stadium there where no one will object. after all, there are houses down there that are older than the stadium.

Likewise the first concert was held in 1984 - a large % of people would be living there before any concerts took place.

i will not mind my business when money is lost to the dublin economy which could be spent on something to do with dublin that could benefit me in the future, as i said they did choose to live there so they should get on with it or sell up

You choose not to live there. You should have known that by not living there you would have no say in local matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Yes, in your head that's a great idea, but in reality this agreement is now set in stone.

Does it still sting a bit?, the decision that is. I'd love to know. I know I'm still smiling away!

• Advertisement

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Watch this space - The GAA will never try this again.

The concerts were only officially cancelled by Aiken after legal action was taken because they knew that if it went to court the residents would win.

The GAA need the residents onside. Otherwise every single thing they do will become an absolute nightmare for them. The residents can make it as difficult as possible for CP or CP can sit down with all parties and iron out the issues in a mature manner, like every sensible organisation does.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Likewise the first concert was held in 1984 - a large % of people would be living there before any concerts took place.
    How large a % are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

JRant wrote: »

NI ministers hailing it as a success doesn't translate to 'People from all over the world were taken aback'
    That device was found in Lucan, miles away from anywhere near the Giro route.

There's absolutely no links at all, no matter how tenuous, to say that this was mean't for the Giro. For all we know they might have been waiting for GB to turn up.

It doesn't matter if it was linked to the race or not. It was reported around the world in the context of the race taking place, and to that audience in particular.

The fact is that nobody can say for sure what impact if any that had or will have on tourism numbers. The GB gig however, would have meant a guaranteed 70,000 visitors from outside of Ireland

snubbleste wrote: »
    What are the odds that emergency legislation to facilitate this event will be rushed through the Dáil and signed by Michael D. by the end of next week?
    I have seen rumours that senior civil servants have been summoned to do exactly this! :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Emergency legislation being enacted would be the thing that will make us the laughing stock of the world.

"**** the actual democratic process, the people need their Garth!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Why should people sell their homes? This sets a precedent now, Croke park management and concert promoters now know that the residents and DCC are not the easy push overs that they thought they were and won't go selling almost half a million tickets to a 5 night run in future without making sure they actually have PERMISSION to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭secman

I have seen rumours that senior civil servants have been summoned to do exactly this! :rolleyes:

Not a snow ball chance in hell

How large a % are you talking about?

Obv I don't know the figures - but any area where houses are 50+ years old you'll probably find that the same family have been living there for 30+ years.

Nowadays when people taking out of 20 year mortgage and having a family they probably see themselves staying in the same place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

secman wrote: »
    Triple pay for working on a Sunday! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

No one will have to put up with it, did you not hear? ALL five concerts were cancelled ;)

• Advertisement

The fact is that nobody can say for sure what impact if any that had or will have on tourism numbers. The GB gig however, would have meant a guaranteed 70,000 visitors from outside of Ireland

So nobody can say either way the impact it will have, but you decided to bring it up anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

So nobody can say either way the impact it will have, but you decided to bring it up anyway?

I didn't bring the Giro up. JRant did.. you even thanked the post

Short memory? =p

• Registered Users Posts: 72,531 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

I prefer Chris Gaines :pac:

I didn't bring the Giro up. JRant did.. you even thanked the post

Short memory? =p

you brought up the bomb comment, and that is what I was referring to.

Regarding the 70,000 visitors that you keep banging on about. Are you suggesting that they are just not going to come now and lose the money on their flights and hotel?

I would reckon a certain % will still come.

secman wrote: »
    Remember where we are, this is Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

You can bet your cotton socks there will be an agreement. The amount of actual money the GAA will lose here will be massive.
    Corporate Croke Park may be conniving and double dealing but they aren't stupid either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Exactly. What a bunch of small minded little people. I hope they get shamed out of the place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Remember where we are, this is Ireland!
    Constituents doing threatening line dancing patterns outside TD offices all weekend :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭secman

Happyman42 wrote: »
    You can bet your cotton socks there will be an agreement. The amount of actual money the GAA will lose here will be massive.
    Corporate Croke Park may be conniving and double dealing but they aren't stupid either.

They did act rather stupidity allowing 5 nights to be sold which were ALL subject to planning permission as the 3 permitted were used up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

snubbleste wrote: »
    What are the odds that emergency legislation to facilitate this event will be rushed through the Dáil and signed by Michael D. by the end of next week?

That would be a great and democratic thing. The whingers and bitchers would probably try to stop it though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement