Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Watch this space - The GAA will never try this again.

The concerts were only officially cancelled by Aiken after legal action was taken because they knew that if it went to court the residents would win.
    1 resident, and there was no guarintee he would win

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Piliger wrote: »
    That would be a great and democratic thing. The whingers and bitchers would probably try to stop it though.

And rightfully so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Obv I don't know the figures - but any area where houses are 50+ years old you'll probably find that the same family have been living there for 30+ years.

Nowadays when people taking out of 20 year mortgage and having a family they probably see themselves staying in the same place.
    I do know the figures.

At the last census 20% of all housing stock was vacant.

Of the remaining 80% three quarters were rented.

This means that only 20% of all stock in the Croke Park area is owner occupied.

The population has grown by 25% since 1996 (redevelopment began in 1995). You can extrapolate from this that only 15% of residences are then occupied by people living there before 1996.

The majority of this 15% will be the "real Dubs" who appear to be in favour of concerts.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

I see you haven't read section 230 of the Planning and Development Act.

I'll quote if for you - cause I know you won't read it otherwise.
    230.—(1) Subject to subsection (4), a licence shall be required in respect of the holding of an event or class of event prescribed for the purpose of this section

(2) When prescribing events or classes of events under subsection (1), the Minister shall have regard to the size, location, nature or other attributes of the event or class of event.

(3) Any person who—

(a) organises, promotes, holds or is otherwise materially involved in the organisation of an event to which this section applies, or

(b) is in control of land on which an event to which this section applies is held,

other than under and in accordance with a licence, shall be guilty of an offence.

So the concert was organised and promoted without a licence and hence breaks this law.
    no law was broken, legal action was taken because of issues with the GAA in general, the concerts were used as bate

Are you going to acknowledge now that they broke a law?

Maybe the GAA should sell up and move to a Green field on the edge of the city and build their stadium there where no one will object. after all, there are houses down there that are older than the stadium.

Likewise the first concert was held in 1984 - a large % of people would be living there before any concerts took place.
    a few houses yes, the people no, so the stadium gets priority

• Advertisement

1 resident, and there was no guarintee he would win

Aiken didn't cancel the concerts when the DCC refuses permission for 2, Aiken only cancelled after the legal action was taken - coincidence? - I think not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

That would be a great and democratic thing. The whingers and bitchers would probably try to stop it though.

Breaking our laws to allow a concert would be democratic? Methinks you may need to look up the word democratic and rethink that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Exactly. What a bunch of small minded little people. I hope they get shamed out of the place.

Shamed out of their homes? You're a lovely person.

JRant wrote: »
    You choose not to live there. You should have known that by not living there you would have no say in local matters.
    in theory yes, thats of course if the tax money from people outside dublin wasn't going to dublin, but it is, i've no problem with that, but i can comment on local issues

why - cause you said so?

think of how the economy would improve if they built a new stadium outside the city - years of construction work, and then the redevelopment of the croke park site - would get the economy booming again.

Then they could have a concert every night with no objections and even more money coming into the economy.

• Advertisement

JRant wrote: »
    The GAA need the residents onside. Otherwise every single thing they do will become an absolute nightmare for them. The residents can make it as difficult as possible for CP or CP can sit down with all parties and iron out the issues in a mature manner, like every sensible organisation does.
    i'm sure the GAA could make things a lot more difficult for residents then residents could for the GAA

i'm sure the GAA could make things a lot more difficult for residents then residents could for the GAA

How? By your suggestion of banning them from all GAA grounds? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

You might want to take a look at the vast number of protesters in Dublin today, who want the concerts put back on. The estimated number is 50. Yep, not 50,000, but 50. Perhaps have a look at the photos of the protest, and the looks of disbelief and derision on passers by faces. So, I don't think bowing to the wishes of 50 people, a lot of whom, judging by their accents aren't from Eire, is particularly democratic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

What could they do to make life difficult?

I do know the figures.

At the last census 20% of all housing stock was vacant.

Of the remaining 80% three quarters were rented.

This means that only 20% of all stock in the Croke Park area is owner occupied.

The population has grown by 25% since 1996 (redevelopment began in 1995). You can extrapolate from this that only 15% of residences are then occupied by people living there before 1996.

The majority of this 15% will be the "real Dubs" who appear to be in favour of concerts.

I assume you can provide a link of this, and clarify what exactly is Croke park area.

Can you also prove that people renting having been there all their life?

bumper234 wrote: »
    Why should people sell their homes? This sets a precedent now, Croke park management and concert promoters now know that the residents and DCC are not the easy push overs that they thought they were and won't go selling almost half a million tickets to a 5 night run in future without making sure they actually have PERMISSION to do so.
    they might, once this dies down it will be business as usual, the right conditions i'm sure and the residents could be over thrown for good, well the few that objected, those who realize they live near a large stadium will get on with it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭JRant

NI ministers hailing it as a success doesn't translate to 'People from all over the world were taken aback'

It doesn't matter if it was linked to the race or not. It was reported around the world in the context of the race taking place, and to that audience in particular.

The fact is that nobody can say for sure what impact if any that had or will have on tourism numbers. The GB gig however, would have meant a guaranteed 70,000 visitors from outside of Ireland

Here's another from TourismIreland

http://www.tourismireland.com/Home!/Our-Marketing-Overseas/Giro-d-Italia-Big-Start-2014.aspx

And another

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/cyclist-jumps-the-gun-for-giro-race-30256344.html

But no, you are correct, it was terrible!

Regarding the device found, you have stated that nobody knows what its purpose was so why bring it up?

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

they might, once this dies down it will be business as usual, the right conditions i'm sure and the residents could be over thrown for good, well the few that objected, those who realize they live near a large stadium will get on with it

LOL - keep on digging,

When you finished digging, maybe acknowledge that you were wrong when you said no law was broken.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    You can bet your cotton socks there will be an agreement. The amount of actual money the GAA will lose here will be massive.
    Corporate Croke Park may be conniving and double dealing but they aren't stupid either.
    if there is an agreement no doubt the GAA will make sure it has some little thing in the small print to get around it, they would be stupid not to do that

You think they will try this little stunt again with 5 concerts and no licences? I really hope they do try it again because when it gets shot down again it will just show how croke park think laws and regulations don't count when it comes to them. I'm sure someones head will roll in GAA HQ after this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

why - cause you said so?

think of how the economy would improve if they built a new stadium outside the city - years of construction work, and then the redevelopment of the croke park site - would get the economy booming again.

Then they could have a concert every night with no objections and even more money coming into the economy.

Hopefully a bit faster that 'years' before it is in use. But an excellent idea that sadly, will never be taken up.

Aiken didn't cancel the concerts when the DCC refuses permission for 2, Aiken only cancelled after the legal action was taken - coincidence? - I think not.
    no, they canceled because they knew garth wouldn't budge and do the 3

if there is an agreement no doubt the GAA will make sure it has some little thing in the small print to get around it, they would be stupid not to do that

And i'm sure the several lawyers and barristers who live in the area and are active on the RA's will quickly spot those little get outs. Any new agreement would be scrutinised and ensured to be set in stone.

in theory yes, thats of course if the tax money from people outside dublin wasn't going to dublin, but it is, i've no problem with that, but i can comment on local issues

Not "in theory" more 'in fact'.

You choose not to live there, get on with it.

And i'm sure the several lawyers and barristers who live in the area and are active on the RA's will quickly spot those little get outs. Any new agreement would be scrutinised and ensured to be set in stone.
    the GAA could afford to get the best in the business to find anything at all they can use to put in the agreement to get around it when needs be

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

I assume you can provide a link of this, and clarify what exactly is Croke park area.
    Census data is all available from the CSO website.

I chose a radius large enough to exclude where I life as I'm not affected by concerts although I live nearby.
    Can you also prove that people renting having been there all their life?
    You mean "real Dubs"?

You haven't the first clue really. Your rights are not time dependent. It doesn't matter if you've lived there 1or 50 years, you still have the same right to lodge a complaint.

Lol, a stadium should have more rights than a person!!

I'm glad I don't live in your world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

secman wrote: »
    They did act rather stupidity allowing 5 nights to be sold which were ALL subject to planning permission as the 3 permitted were used up.

That was what I meant when I said 'conniving'. They knew exactly what they were doing and if they didn't they got told shortly after. It was a calculated risk based on their belief (with Aiken riding shotgun) that they could bully the residents and the DCC into allowing 5.

The residents have their legal people too. You are being silly now.

Not at all, EOTR's plan is so cunning that the residents will never see it coming. Much like the Spanish inquisition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

the GAA could afford to get the best in the business to find anything at all they can use to put in the agreement to get around it when needs be

Croke Park won't be driving this, the residents have them over a barrel now, and you will have every relevant government official pouring over the agreement too so that they don't try it on again.

As I said earlier in the thread, even if the gigs go ahead, Croke Park is effectively snookered.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement