Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Yes.

However, extenuating circumstances exist. A Garda investigation into possibly criminal activity in the planning objection process. An unconfirmed bizarre deal offered from Dublin City Council.

I see Garth back here in the high court getting his money, and not the other way around.

Cheers; it does seem that DCC were playing silly buggers. The problem, for GB, though is that acting the eejit isn't illegal, or a breach of contract. Refusing to play the 3 licenses may be a breach of contract, unless the contract was so one sided such as to allow GB to walk away with no recourse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I had tickets for the Saturday night. Gutted they are cancelled. I was really looking forward to it.

He will probably never play here again now.

Thanks to the bureaucrats, the residents that were in opposition, the politicians who drafted rubbish legislation, the inflexibility of our planning system for anything positive (It was plenty flexible to line pockets down the years)....

It is said a lot, but this really would never happen in any other country. Sick of this place, it just limps from scandal to scandal, controversy to controversy...

€50,000,000 pished away

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭paddyirish23

Grand so, don't let the door hit you on the arse on your way out.

Tell that to the young ppl who were looking to get a job for a few extra quid. Ya head of to a country who actually proactively promotes tourism and jobs.
    The gathering eh. .. ya just don't do it here. This Country is still f*cked and we have smart arses here thinking we don't need this. Is that really the type of ppl we've turned into or is it just the ppl that use boards? !

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I sincerely hope this shines a negative light on Ireland, as I'm sure many of you think the blame lies with Mr. Brooks. I don't, nor do his many fans. We side with him and his decision to bypass your country. A total embarrassment you are.
    Christ, you could have at least said "many of his fans", you do not speak for all of them, I have a pain in my face from cringing reading that utter shite...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

SoCal MusicLover, do not post in this thread again.

Everyone else, you can stop addressing this poster now and get on with the discussion in a civil manner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

The biggest news of the day is that Israel looks to be beginning an all-out assault on Gaza

Jaysus. You'd think he had enough problems with the alcoholism, and now this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Deedsie wrote: »
    (It was plenty flexible to line pockets down the years)....

So you just wanted it to be flexible one more time to suit you and some chap from America?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    So you just wanted it to be flexible one more time to suit you and some chap from America?

Try 300000 other irish ppl aswell!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

I can't believe he canceled the three he was granted permission for. I thought he was supposed to love his Irish fans? Guess not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

And another thing. If a 5 night event is worth so many bazillions to the economy, how come we don't have a Department of Gigs charged with running this sort of stuff every night of the week? Think of the money we could make as a country. It's all so easy, it's a one way money flow - you hold a concert and people spend loads of money. If you don't hold the concert they will keep it under their bed forever and ever and the money will cease to exist.

Actually . . . those people who lodge that money to their banks instead of keeping it under the bed, they will be paying DIRT on the interest on the money they never, ever spend, won't they? That's an income stream for the government right there. I say that in these times of austerity we should cancel all concerts and cause the entire concert going public to keep their money in their bank account and generate money for the country that way. Oh, wait, that's not how the economy works, is it? It's discretionary income, isn't it? They will just spend it anyway, or most of it. Net effect to the country - several million doesn't go out in someones back pocket on his world tour, never to return to the Irish economy.

z

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

I know you're tired, I know you're hungry you and have a hankering for Gareth's "music"
    But you're going to look back at this day and will remember it as the day, your lives got better. Things are going to change for you. In hindsight, you will have been saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

conorhal wrote: »
    I honestly thought country and western fans were thicker skinned and weaned on the teat of disappointment !

You took a fine time to leave me, Louiselle, four hungry kids and a crop in the field ......... sniff, snifff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,681 ✭✭✭SteM

And honestly, I do not care much what you or the other "rules" people and Garth haters on this message board think about me. Just like you couldn't care less about me visiting your country.

You have no idea what myself and other Garth fans went through, and the money we will lose now. No, I have no desire to visit Dublin now or in the future, and I had been to Ireland on 5 previous trips to Europe.

But after reading the many comments here and elsewhere, I honestly do not think I'll be missed, nor will the other music fans who hesitate traveling there ever again. I sincerely hope this shines a negative light on Ireland, as I'm sure many of you think the blame lies with Mr. Brooks. I don't, nor do his many fans. We side with him and his decision to bypass your country. A total embarrassment you are.

Talk about "The long goodbye"!

You've said you're not coming to Ireland about 5 times now across various threads. We get it, you're not coming. It's your loss, not ours. Enjoy Sweden or wherever you decide to go to. I don't think anyone really cares to be honest. I certainly don't after you calling the Irish 'sick, sick people' in the other thread a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

This is a bizarre fiasco. Could they not have changed the venue if Croke Park was that much of a problem? I don't really understand the ins and outs of the whole issue, I havn't really been following it in the News, and I can understand that living near a stadium would be disruptive, but wasn't that Stadium built around 100 years ago? So all of the residents in opposition would have bought their houses knowing full well that there was a stadium there? And if they didn't buy, then they inherited knowing the stadium was there, so if it were that much of an issue perhaps living there wasn't a great idea and renting/selling would have been preferable. It's kind of similar to me demanding that the neighbouring farmers get rid of their cows because they disrupt us with noise, smell and blocking roads, when I moved to the country knowing full well it was farming area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    This is a bizarre fiasco. Could they not have changed the venue if Croke Park was that much of a problem? I don't really understand the ins and outs of the whole issue, I havn't really been following it in the News, and I can understand that living near a stadium would be disruptive, but wasn't that Stadium built around 100 years ago? So all of the residents in opposition would have bought their houses knowing full well that there was a stadium there? And if they didn't buy, then they inherited knowing the stadium was there, so if it were that much of an issue perhaps living there wasn't a great idea and renting/selling would have been preferable. It's kind of similar to me demanding that the neighbouring farmers get rid of their cows because they disrupt us with noise, smell and blocking roads, when I moved to the country knowing full well it was farming area.

You really should read the thread - planning laws are the crux of the matter and, for once, they have been properly enforced

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

No, it's similar to the local farmer moving into Elephant farming (complete with dawn chorus, and floating objects in the river), having started off with chickens. And then telling his buddies that they can farm what ever they want because they know the man who can give them permission and sure it's never turned down.

This line of "the stadium has been there for ever" is old and has been done to death. People have rights.

z

zagmund wrote: »
    And another thing. If a 5 night event is worth so many bazillions to the economy, how come we don't have a Department of Gigs charged with running this sort of stuff every night of the week? z

Seemingly in Cork, we have just that, a new multi million Euro convention, concert, cinema proposed for the city say they can fill it every night of the week, that's TWO MILLION, ONE HUNDRED and SIXTY THOUSAND Visitors for 360 nights with five days off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

You really should read the thread - planning laws are the crux of the matter and, for once, they have been properly enforced

Brooks was offered four licenced concerts. On what planet is that enforcing the planning laws exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,681 ✭✭✭SteM

A lot of questions there that have been answered dozens of times in other threads ☺Your comparison to moving to the country doesn't make any sense. Try the comparison about living beside an airport that everyone else trots out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

oh yes blame the residents time, they thought they had an agrement of 3 concerts a year but guess who got gready...
    Guess who hasnt even made a press statement,
    Guess who gets 600000 grand from Irish citizens to build a stadium in london
    Guess who chews up young people and spits out broken adults when theyve had their spectator sport..
    Guess who doesn't even throw the players a few bob .

I think we should all be wondering and asking questions about the very very very silent elephant in the room.

Grab
    All
    Association

• Advertisement

Brooks was offered four licenced concerts. On what planet is that enforcing the planning laws exactly?

Now, TBH, this is a sackable offense ~ if true.

It's either law or it's not.

Most serious situation if proven.

That and the Garda investigation, gombeeeniosm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

CNN now
    Garth Brooks cancels Ireland comeback shows after Dublin diss
    The city noted the stadium was "in a heavily populated residential area" and five nights of Garth Brooks would be "an over intensification of use of the stadium."
    The traffic, noise and "potential antisocial behaviour" by Brooks fans could add up to "an unacceptable level of disruption" for Dublin residents, the council said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Armelodie wrote: »
    oh yes blame the residents time, they thought they had an agrement of 3 concerts a year but guess who got gready...
    Guess who chews up young people and spits out broken adults when theyve had their spectator sport..

I think we should all be wondering and asking questions about the very very very silent elephant in the room.

Grab
    All
    Association

Ha ha, and the biggest chip on any shoulder in any of the three threads goes to...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    For some reason, this seems apt.

I felt it would remiss if I didn't thank you personally. Thank you. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,861 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Is the online conference going to continue tomorrow now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

5 goals, 5 garth brooks concerts, coincidence? I think not.

Armelodie wrote: »

Grab
    All
    Association

Don't worry they haven't been forgotten!
    They couldn't stage the 2 cancelled shows next year because they have a contract signed already I'd imagine that's with another artist so they are to blame plenty!
    I'll avoid croke park now even for gaa as last time I was there the stewards treatment of fans was ott to say the least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Don't be nitpicking - if they made such an offer, it was an unduly generous gesture to try and salvage something but Mr.Brooks has an ego to rival Bono and Chris de Burgh rolled into one. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Ah sure maybe he'll finish his World Tour here...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

nm wrote: »
    Ha ha, and the biggest chip on any shoulder in any of the three threads goes to...

Have you heard ANY comment or press statement from the GAA?

Or maybe they dont have a case to answer...

Welll I suppose they had nothing whatsoever to do with this concert anyway.....right!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement