Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CapricornOne

That's as good as saying there's no chance it'll go ahead.

Unless this emergency legislation rumor comes to anything. In which case the country has officially gone mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,966 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Just playing hard ball our garth was he now has rang enda and has had everything explained to him 3 now 2 later on is the best will be settled on up to garth to decide if this come back special is as needed as a big sell for his world tour to really sell out he needs to decide soon

At this stage even the 3 granted gigs should be looked at. Aiken himself stated that there would be mayhem if only 3 happened. Citing people who had a mon/tues ticket turning up and trying to get in. That has to be a real concern for AGS if the promoters themselves feel it could happen.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭That_Girl_ Is_ A_Cowboy

Has a gig ever specifically been cancelled because of nimbyism before?

Events and festivals happen up and down the country all the time and I bet with no or very little objectors and those who do object would be ignored and rightly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Unless this emergency legislation rumor comes to anything. In which case the country has officially gone mad.

"Emergency" legislation gets passed on Monday morning allowing all 5 concerts go ahead over 5 days and i guarantee you an objection is lodged in the high courts on Monday afternoon to stop them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Link? The OH doesn't believe me.

She still doesn't believe me........ I showed her that link, but because there's no time & date on it, she says it could be written at any time

This post has been deleted.

You would indeed hope so, but with the strong-arm tactics that have already occurred I'm not so sure.

She still doesn't believe me........

Tell her I had a dream in which Garth decided he wasn't arsed and decided to go play crazy golf instead. It'll happen, I'm usually good with this sort of stuff.

Events and festivals happen up and down the country all the time and I bet with no or very little objectors and those who do object would be ignored and rightly so.

Oxegen festival says hello.

Why would objections be "ignored"? Do you think that legal objections should be/are just swept aside in this country? Maybe......just MAYBE......the organisers of said "events and festivals" have all of their licences and have been in contact with ALL people and groups who may be affected by their event/festival and made the necessary araingments to ensure that their concerns are heard and understood......a bit like croke park were supposed to do.

• Advertisement

JRant wrote: »
    At this stage even the 3 granted gigs should be looked at. Aiken himself stated that there would be mayhem if only 3 happened. Citing people who had a mon/tues ticket turning up and trying to get in. That has to be a real concern for AGS if the promoters themselves feel it could happen.

There wouldn't be mayham. Perhaps people turning to fill out the croke park hotel and other nearby establishments with a beer garden to have a listen. Edit: although with the way that the capital is a kip, i'd say people wouldn't be arsed going and spending money in the kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭paddyirish23

I dunno about anyone on here I'll be happy if he just comes and sings the dance at half time at a match at this stage :) feck the lights and gear all he needs is the guitar here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Christ ignoring objectors seems right in your eyes? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Has a gig ever specifically been cancelled because of nimbyism before?

The only reason nothing is going ahead is 100% down to Garth Brooks refusal to play. Has a concert ever been cancelled because a singer turned out to be a bit of an arsehole? Yes, and it'll happen again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

She still doesn't believe me........ I showed her that link, but because there's no time & date on it, she says it could be written at any time

Ah you poor lad. Take a holiday for two weeks. She'll find out herself in two weeks.

Im sick of everyone's false hope.

And thats coming from the biggest GB fan ever. I knew it was over when GB said it was 5 or nothing on the 3rd of july. I've had 10 days now and today was the first day I haven't cried. I'm getting there.

There wouldn't be mayham. Perhaps people turning to fill out the croke park hotel and other nearby establishments with a beer garden to have a listen.

But Aiken said it was a very real safety concern. Now you wouldn't be suggesting that we shouldn't listen to the promoters own views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

I've had 10 days now and today was the first day I haven't cried. I'm getting there.

You'd swear someone died....

You'd swear someone died....

It was the music that died don't ya know

Garth will be doing his own rendition of this in honour of the concerts that never were

bumper234 wrote: »
    Why would objections be "ignored"? Do you think that legal objections should be/are just swept aside in this country? Maybe......just MAYBE......the organisers of said "events and festivals" have all of their licences and have been in contact with ALL people and groups who may be affected by their event/festival and made the necessary araingments to ensure that their concerns are heard and understood......a bit like croke park were supposed to do.

because other counties holding events are relaxed and carefree and realise the benefits that events bring to their localities.

Ah you poor lad. Take a holiday for two weeks. She'll find out herself in two weeks.

Im sick of everyone's false hope.

And thats coming from the biggest GB fan ever. I knew it was over when GB said it was 5 or nothing on the 3rd of july. I've had 10 days now and today was the first day I haven't cried. I'm getting there.

Have you excepted the fact that Troyal has seriously let his fans down by cancelling those gigs yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Cienciano wrote: »
    The only reason nothing is going ahead is 100% down to Garth Brooks refusal to play. Has a concert ever been cancelled because a singer turned out to be a bit of an arsehole? Yes, and it'll happen again.

Axl Rose. The King of cancelled gigs. Stroppy cnut.

because other counties holding events are relaxed and carefree and realise the benefits that events bring to their localities.

Other countries like????

And you have proof of this laxidasical approach to planning laws by other counties or you're just making things up? Maybe you could name one of these "relaxed and carefree" counties and which event they have ignored the planning laws for?

Incredible stuff starting by the sounds of it.

'Emergency Legislation planned for Garth Brooks'

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

drkpower wrote: »
    Keegan chose to go his own way and unnecessarily walked his way into this mess.

Here is the nub. Mr Keegan displayed the sort of blinkered stubborn rationale that typifies councillors in Ireland. I'm not for one minute saying that the GAA and promoters didn't take the piss here but there are times when rules have to be bent in lieu of the greater return.

By all means sanction the parties involved after the event and ensure a repeat occurrence doesn't happen but to jeapordise the whole package was a high risk game that has backfired.

The compromise offered up of matinee shows was laughable and a complete no go from a logistical point of view.

And you have proof of this laxidasical approach to planning laws by other counties or you're just making things up? Maybe you could name one of these "relaxed and carefree" counties and which event they have ignored the planning laws for?

Of course not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Piliger wrote: »
    Most of the whingers and Brooks haters hereabouts are One Direction fans but would never admit it ;)

What on earth are you blithering on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Retrovertigo

It was the music that died don't ya know

Garth will be doing his own rendition of this in honour of the concerts that never were

Goddamnit, the original video was hilarious. Shame you changed it.

From twitter

'It seems that some 'select' civil servants have been called in today to prepare an emergency bill to go before the Dáil next week. The only purpose of the bill is to permit Garth Brooks to have his 5 in a row concerts in Croke Park.

I am unclear on 2 things right now.

1. Are they in the Dept of the Environment ( which would normally prepare an emergency planning bill) or not. They may be in a different department, perhaps even that of the Taoiseach himself.
    2. Will the cabinet actually approve the heads of the bill and likely the bill itself at their meeting on tuesday or will there be a row. They did not preapprove the preparation of the bill I am told. :)

Things should be much clearer by Monday night or else it may have been killed off quietly by then. But for now they are looking into it....hard!

The last emergency bill I remember was one on the Galway Bypass a few years back but that was but a couple of FFers slithering into the house with a oneliner late one evening, nothing like this one. :D'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

JRant wrote: »
    Have you excepted the fact that Troyal has seriously let his fans down by cancelling those gigs yet?

Calling him Troyal sounds almost as ridiculous as him constantly referring to himself "If you want the Garth Brooks experience, listen to Garth Brooks music on Garth Brooks.com ... Garth Brooks, Garth Brooks." :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement