Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,966 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Aidric wrote: »
    Here is the nub. Mr Keegan displayed the sort of blinkered stubborn rationale that typifies councillors in Ireland. I'm not for one minute saying that the GAA and promoters didn't take the piss here but there are times when rules have to be bent in lieu of the greater return.

By all means sanction the parties involved after the event and ensure a repeat occurrence doesn't happen but to jeapordise the whole package was a high risk game that has backfired.

The compromise offered up of matinee shows was laughable and a complete no go from a logistical point of view.

If the events are not to be repeated in the future why should they permitted happen this time?

Your dead right about the 2 shows in one day. One look at GB will tell you the chap would keel over trying to do that.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Here is the nub. Mr Keegan displayed the sort of blinkered stubborn rationale that typifies councillors in Ireland. I'm not for one minute saying that the GAA and promoters didn't take the piss here but there are times when rules have to be bent in lieu of the greater return.

By all means sanction the parties involved after the event and ensure a repeat occurrence doesn't happen but to jeapordise the whole package was a high risk game that has backfired.

The compromise offered up of matinee shows was laughable and a complete no go from a logistical point of view.

Sanction them how? Give them the licence and then say " well what you did was wrong so we are going to fine you and slap you on the wrist but still reward you for doing wrong". Rules should not be bent for ANYONE and if you think they should be then lets go build a 10 story block of flats right next to your home and put all of the homeless junkies in it so they have somewhere to live. No need to.worry about planning permission because we can always bend the rules a bit yeah, it is for the greater good after all ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

because other counties holding events are relaxed and carefree and realise the benefits that events bring to their localities.

Can you give us a rundown of the planning rules, restrictions and allowances for outdoor concerts in built areas in this mythical land 'Other Countries'? You seem knowledgeable on the subject, do share that knowledge with us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Piliger wrote: »
    And why not. Most of the whingers and Brooks haters hereabouts are One Direction fans but would never admit it ;) if anyone cancelled one of their gigs they'd be on here demanding government action with a vengeance :D

The only people "whinging" are garth brooks fans. The rest of us are saying fair play to the DCC for making the right decision. But in fairness to OD, they've the same artistic merit as GB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Goddamnit, the original video was hilarious. Shame you changed it.

Here ya go :D

3:05 always makes me smile :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Re: the bolded bit, I totally disagree. I think this was the perfect time to take a stand and nip piss-taking in the bud, before it gets completely out of hand.

Maire2009 wrote: »
    Calling him Troyal sounds almost as ridiculous as him constantly referring to himself "If you want the Garth Brooks experience, listen to Garth Brooks music on Garth Brooks.com ... Garth Brooks, Garth Brooks." :pac:

Not at all. It's his name and what a name it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Owen Keegan is not a councillor. He's the city manager. He has a job to do, and he did it. Correctly, Imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

JRant wrote: »
    Have you excepted the fact that Troyal has seriously let his fans down by cancelling those gigs yet?

GB was always for the fans. There's an biography, The Garth Factor, any fan of his or anyone spouting crap saying he's greedy, should read this book. They will understand after reading this book that he was always about his fans.

DCC didnt grant two licences, why should 160,000 people miss out on a show they had a ticket for the past six months. Yeah, I understand the subject to licence bit. But you dont build peoples hopes up like that. Fix the problem after.

Its DCC that let the people down, not Garth Brooks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭That_Girl_ Is_ A_Cowboy

Have you excepted the fact that Troyal has seriously let his fans down by cancelling those gigs yet?

GB did not let his fans down. True fans and those who read his book will understand where he is coming from and will fully support him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Only The Beatles and Elvis are mentioned in the same breath as Garth Brooks when it comes to Album sales and best selling solo artist...... I had a good idea that was the case, but I wiki'd it anyway to make sure..
    My fingers are still crossed for the 400,000 ticket holders.... You may have thought it was going to be an Amazing show, but after all of this and if they go ahead I feel the shows will be out off this World(dam I wish I had a ticket now:()

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Not at all. It's his name and what a name it is.

It was only a few years ago I saw that Garth wasn't his first name. How is it pronounced? "Troy-al"?

*It's about as exciting as everything else going on

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

GB was always for the fans. There's an autobiography, The Garth Factor, any fan of his or anyone spouting crap saying he's greedy, should read this book. They will understand after reading this book that he was always about his fans.

Autobiographies are always the best way to get to the truth about someone. I can't think of any reason someone would have to lie in their autobiography.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭That_Girl_ Is_ A_Cowboy

GB was always for the fans. There's an autobiography, The Garth Factor, any fan of his or anyone spouting crap saying he's greedy, should read this book. They will understand after reading this book that he was always about his fans.

DCC didnt grant two licences, why should 160,000 people miss out on a show they had a ticket for the past six months. Yeah, I understand the subject to licence bit. But you dont build peoples hopes up like that. Fix the problem after.

Its DDC that let us down and

Got there before me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

ardle1 wrote: »
    Only The Beatles and Elvis are mentioned in the same breath as Garth Brooks when it comes to Album sales and best selling solo artist......
    Michael Jackson has sold waaay more albums than Garth Brooks .

And the Beatles were a group not a solo artist ;)

From twitter

'It seems that some 'select' civil servants have been called in today to prepare an emergency bill to go before the Dáil next week. The only purpose of the bill is to permit Garth Brooks to have his 5 in a row concerts in Croke Park.

I am unclear on 2 things right now.

1. Are they in the Dept of the Environment ( which would normally prepare an emergency planning bill) or not. They may be in a different department, perhaps even that of the Taoiseach himself.
    2. Will the cabinet actually approve the heads of the bill and likely the bill itself at their meeting on tuesday or will there be a row. They did not preapprove the preparation of the bill I am told. :)

Things should be much clearer by Monday night or else it may have been killed off quietly by then. But for now they are looking into it....hard!

The last emergency bill I remember was one on the Galway Bypass a few years back but that was but a couple of FFers slithering into the house with a oneliner late one evening, nothing like this one. :D'

Nothing would surprise me with that bunch in the Dail. However if they pull this unbe****ingleivable stunt then there's no hope for this country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

There's an autobiography, The Garth Factor, any fan of his or anyone spouting crap saying he's greedy, should read this book. They will understand after reading this book that he was always about his fans.

Someone posted this earlier in the thread:

http://www.newser.com/story/138199/garth-brooks-sues-hospital-to-get-500k-donation-back.html

The man took $500,000 from the sick and dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭loh_oro

If emergency legislation is brought in to save these concerts any fate I have left in this country is gone

Autobiographies are always the best way to get to the truth about someone. I can't think of any reason someone would have to lie in their autobiography.
    Especially when its actually a biography written by someone called Patsi Bale Cox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

loh_oro wrote: »
    If emergency legislation is brought in to save these concerts any fate I have left in this country is gone

So you'll be emigrating? :eek::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Only The Beatles and Elvis are mentioned in the same breath as Garth Brooks when it comes to Album sales and best selling solo artist......

And?

The Nigerian film industry is the 2nd biggest in the world - it's still shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

There wouldn't be mayham. Perhaps people turning to fill out the croke park hotel and other nearby establishments with a beer garden to have a listen. Edit: although with the way that the capital is a kip, i'd say people wouldn't be arsed going and spending money in the kip.

Christ , I'm going to single this post out purely cause of your misguided anger towards your capital city !! No one died , a country & western singer has a hissy fit and tried to put pressure on so he can have his way.. Get over it , you called your capital a "kip" why? What would you think if I told you to go out and pick some mushrooms , you bogger!!!

I can't wait til next week so it's finally put to bed.

From twitter

'It seems that some 'select' civil servants have been called in today to prepare an emergency bill to go before the Dáil next week. The only purpose of the bill is to permit Garth Brooks to have his 5 in a row concerts in Croke Park.

I am unclear on 2 things right now.

1. Are they in the Dept of the Environment ( which would normally prepare an emergency planning bill) or not. They may be in a different department, perhaps even that of the Taoiseach himself.
    2. Will the cabinet actually approve the heads of the bill and likely the bill itself at their meeting on tuesday or will there be a row. They did not preapprove the preparation of the bill I am told. :)

Things should be much clearer by Monday night or else it may have been killed off quietly by then. But for now they are looking into it....hard!

The last emergency bill I remember was one on the Galway Bypass a few years back but that was but a couple of FFers slithering into the house with a oneliner late one evening, nothing like this one. :D'
    That's not from twitter - its copied from here.

Plagarising now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

DCC didnt grant two licences, why should 160,000 people miss out on a show they had a ticket for the past six months. Yeah, I understand the subject to licence bit. ]But you dont build peoples hopes up like that. Fix the problem after.

Its DDC that let us down and

That was Garth and Aiken's fault, not DCC.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    Especially when its actually a biography written by someone called Patsi Bale Cox

That name looks like an anagram of something wildly inappropriate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Only The Beatles and Elvis are mentioned in the same breath as Garth Brooks when it comes to Album sales and best selling solo artist...... I had a good idea that was the case, but I wiki'd it anyway to make sure..
    My fingers are still crossed for the 400,000 ticket holders.... You may have thought it was going to be an Amazing show, but after all of this and if they go ahead I feel the shows will be out off this World(dam I wish I had a ticket now:()

Album sales in the USA. When you talk about worldwide, loads of people are higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

loh_oro wrote: »

You still have fate in the country ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

sabat wrote: »
    Someone posted this earlier in the thread:

http://www.newser.com/story/138199/garth-brooks-sues-hospital-to-get-500k-donation-back.html

The man took $500,000 from the sick and dying.

But was it in the book?

I've been to concerts in many countries around Europe, never been to a stadium gig anywhere else thats in the middle of such a heavily residential area as Croke Park. But, they all have licensing rules and regulations that have to be adhered to. Even Roskilde festival, which can definitely be described as relaxed and carefree. If someone is a music fan and has spare money, that is definitely worth a visit. And, they have ping pong tables set up as well, so Garth could be accommodated.:)

• Advertisement

hawkelady wrote: »
    Christ , I'm going to single this post out purely cause of your misguided anger towards your capital city !! No one died , a country & western singer has a hissy fit and tried to put pressure on so he can have his way.. Get over it , you called your capital a "kip" why? What would you think if I told you to go out and pick some mushrooms , you bogger!!!

I can't wait til next week so it's finally put to bed.
    Look - if Garth Brooks fans think that Dublin and Croke Park are kips then it must be true.

Unfortunately for them, Garth Brooks himself seems to think it's the greatest place on earth. He loves it, apparently

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement