Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Jim Rockford

Cienciano wrote: »
    There's one reason he cant. Because he's a bit of an arsehole. I find it unbelievable that fans are losing out purely because he refuses to play, but the same fans are agreeing with his decision. He can do no wrong in the eyes of the fans. Well, not all, I'm sure some can see he's a bit of a dick.

I'm not a C&W fan, but I'm rapidly becoming a Garth Brookes fan, for standing up to the farcical corruption and dirty politics in this country, and showing it up for what it really is.

Good article in the Indo covers all the bases of this farce

Or rather the usual nasty fact less hatchet opinion piece, complete with zero journalism, integrity or credibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I'm not a C&W fan, but I'm rapidly becoming a Garth Brookes fan, for standing up to the farcical corruption and dirty politics in this country, and showing it up for what it really is.
    Standing up to "corruption and dirty politics" how, exactly? By asking the Taoiseach to intervene in a local planning decision?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I have 4 tickets and I'm in fear that the concerts will go ahead because I want my money back!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

A country that has, so far, stuck to rules and regulation. I'm a fan of Owen Keegan at the moment tbh.

testicle wrote: »
    I have 4 tickets and I'm in fear that the concerts will go ahead because I want my money back!

Unless your trying to tout them, you'll have no bother getting face value, there's a lot of new Garth Brooks fans out there since he stood up to the political scum of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Unless your trying to tout them, you'll have no bother getting face value, there's a lot of new Garth Brooks fans out there since he stood up to the political scum of Ireland.

Just when you think you've seen the stupidest post on this thread someone comes along with a doozy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

there's a lot of new Garth Brooks fans out there since he stood up to the political scum of Ireland.

Hehehehehe.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    A country that has, so far, stuck to rules and regulation..

Like accepting forged planing objections . . and a council that has a great world wide reputation for planning integrity . . . lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Reformed Character

Would you be referring to the fact that DCC wouldn't be threatened by him and stood by a proper , legal, decision of their planning department?
    The only "corruption and dirty politics" in this whole farce would appear to coming from GB side.

Would you be referring to the fact that DCC wouldn't be threatened by him and stood by a proper , legal, decision of their planning department?

like accepting forged signatures ? DCC and planning integrity . . .lol

Like accepting forged planing objections . . and a council that has a great world wide reputation for planning integrity . . . lol
    Why do people assume that the residents' objections (forged or otherwise) were the biggest factor in the decision to cancel the 2 concerts? Has it been stated by DCC? Genuine question.

As I stated earlier in the thread, I would have thought that traffic management would have had just as much influence over the decision.

Yet another poster who hasn't read the decision.
    And how would allowing anyone to overturn this decision add to our reputation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

El Weirdo wrote: »
    As I stated earlier in the thread, I would have thought that traffic management would have had just as much influence over the decision.

But how can that point stand up against the decision now that they offered 2 matinee shows, which would undoubtedly cause even more traffic disruption than having the gigs on the Mon and Tues evening.. it's completely sensless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

My brain cant cope. Yesterday we had a psychic, today we have this. GB should play the concerts and donate all income to Irelands obviously struggling mental health facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭hynesie08

like accepting forged signatures ? DCC and planning integrity . . .lol

Where does it say they accepted them? From what I'm reading DCC had suspicions from early on and contacted the gardai.

But how can that point stand up against the decision now that they offered 2 matinee shows, which would undoubtedly cause even more traffic disruption than having the gigs on the Mon and Tues evening.. it's completely sensless!
    I imagine it would have more to do with the fact that those concerts would be held on the weekend as opposed to the Monday and Tuesday which are weekdays.

Jesus christ....they didn't offer or approve two matinees! AIKEN did. And they will only grant approval if AIKEN can solve those issues in his updated Event Managemnet Plan...the submission of which is entirely within the terms of the the original event licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭hynesie08

But they didn't "offer" they agreed to consider it on receipt of an updated event management plan, which probably would have said it was unmanageable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

At this stage, just let it go! It's a bloody country and western concert.

You're making us look like some kind of musical backwater desperate for one gig!

It's not Springfield (the Simpsons) we actually get a good flow of major acts in Ireland in general.

Disappointing for fans, but these this occasionally happen.

The "subject to licence" clause is going to have to be taken more seriously in future though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

Looks like copy and pasted some if not most it from boards and didn't acknowledge copyright

SpaceTime wrote: »

The "subject to licence" clause is going to have to be taken more seriously in future though.

As its only being applied to Garth Brooks concerts, not really.
    Asking anyone to take DCC's planning credibility seriously is stretching it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Garth Brooks wanted to talk to Enda Kenny about this so that he can get his concerts to go ahead.

Are you seriously telling me you don't think that stinks of one rule for him, one rule for everyone else?

How is that standing up to farcical corruption and dirty politics?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Standing up to "corruption and dirty politics" how, exactly? By asking the Taoiseach to intervene in a local planning decision so he can make more money

Added an important bit on at the end ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

Unless your in the business of concerts
    subject to licence doesn't mean anything to someone who bought a ticket and is looking at date time of concert

Calina wrote: »
    Garth Brooks wanted to talk to Enda Kenny about this so that he can get his concerts to go ahead.

Are you seriously telling me you don't think that stinks of one rule for him, one rule for everyone else?

How is that standing up to farcical corruption and dirty politics?

Subject to licensing only applies to Garth Brooks concerts.
    If it was 5 nights of stabbings and/or slane girls there would be no problem.

visual wrote: »
    Unless your in the business of concerts
    subject to licence doesn't mean anything to someone who bought a ticket and is looking at date time of concert

It does now. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Jesus, the GB brigade are getting worse. I won't even bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

This does not represent an answer to my question. How does trying to get the taoiseach to pull strings represent standing up to corruption?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement