Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Brooks was offered four licenced concerts. On what planet is that enforcing the planning laws exactly?
    That was prior to the decision being made. And it wasn't an offer of four gigs; it was an offer to put an amended proposal for four gigs to the planners.
    Brooks turned it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Armelodie wrote: »
    Guess who hasnt even made a press statement,

They have

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/1/0807141630-statement/
    Guess who gets 600000 grand from Irish citizens to build a stadium in london

Grab
    All
    Association

In London, for Irish citizens living there. If only their own country was capable of providing for them that €600,000 may have been kept in Ireland?

If only their own countries legislators had a clue, €50,000,000 would be circulated into the Irish economy as a result of these concerts. But ya the GAA are the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭paddyirish23

Don't be nitpicking - if they made such an offer, it was an unduly generous gesture to try and salvage something but Mr.Brooks has an ego to rival Bono and Chris de Burgh rolled into one. :D

Yes I can agree that 4 nights were definitely enough he shouldve taken that was fair

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Could it not have been split between two venues? Three nights at Croke Park two at the Aviva? Or somewhere else in the country. Would have cost a lot more than having all 5 in the same place, but a lot less than cancelling them. On saying that (and I am certainly no fan of Mr Brooks music and wouldn't cross the road to watch him in concert) I admire him for cancelling all of them. I havn't got time to read the whole thread but it seems to be a stupid, disorganised, last minute fiasco and the loss of revenue and reputation is a fitting consequence. And my sympathy for "I bought a house next to a stadium and don't like it being used" is pretty minimum to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    5 goals, 5 garth brooks concerts, coincidence? I think not.

Yes, a bigger story is breaking, thank the Lord.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Is the online conference going to continue tomorrow now

That's for his world tour I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Have you heard ANY comment or press statement from the GAA?

Or maybe they dont have a case to answer...

Welll I suppose they had nothing whatsoever to do with this concert anyway.....right!

Already posted earlier in thread:
    The GAA statement in full:

“The GAA and Croke Park Stadium note with much regret the confirmation that none of the Garth Brooks concerts scheduled for later this month will now take place.

“The GAA shares the intense disappointment of the 400,000 people who have purchased tickets.

“Croke Park Stadium has worked closely with Aiken Promotions in its efforts to stage a unique series of concerts which would have represented an exciting national event and a joyful summer celebration.

“From the outset Croke Park Stadium, as it does with the planning of all events staged in Croke Park, and with a view to avoiding surprise late difficulties, engaged fully with Dublin City Council officials and addressed comprehensively every issue presented during this planning process.

At no stage were we given any indication that a licence was likely to be refused for any of the five concerts.

“The GAA has made clear its acceptance of mediator Kieran Mulvey’s report on the long-term management of concerts and special events in Croke Park.

“We wish to acknowledge Mr Mulvey’s exceptional efforts over the past few days to resolve the issues raised by the refusal of a licence for the fourth and fifth concerts.

“The GAA is very encouraged by the emergence in recent days of groups of residents in the Croke Park area who share our wish for a positive continuing engagement with the Croke Park Stadium; we look forward to working with them on the recommendations of the Mulvey Report.”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Phoebas wrote: »
    That was prior to the decision being made. And it wasn't an offer of four gigs; it was an offer to put an amended proposal for four gigs to the planners.
    Brooks turned it down.

Even that was not possible. We have far too much testimony already to verify that this was impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

ThisRegard wrote: »
    That's for his world tour I guess.

Ah whats the odds he will announce Irish concerts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Have you heard ANY comment or press statement from the GAA?

Or maybe they dont have a case to answer...

Welll I suppose they had nothing whatsoever to do with this concert anyway.....right!

Well there was their statement.. does their statement count as a statement?

• Advertisement

Brooks turned it down.

Obviously it was prior to the decision to licence three but he was offered licenses for four concerts if he would guarantee to perform four.

They are not my words. They are the words of the DCC.

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Even that was not possible. We have far too much testimony already to verify that this was impossible.

And yet, that's what happened.

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    5 goals, 5 garth brooks concerts, coincidence? I think not.

5 in a row no problem for the Germans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

nm wrote: »
    5 in a row no problem for the Germans
    With them taking over world headlines, it's fair this say this bailout is free

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Why couldn't they just hold it in punchestown its big enough and out of the way, would it not be perfect if the logistics were worked out correctly ?

DCC appeal to Aiken / Brooks to reconsider cancellation:
    Dublin City Council call on Aiken Promotions to ‘reconsider’ Brooks cancellation decision

Dublin City Council has released a statement following the cancellation of all five of the Garth Brooks concerts in Croke Park.

The Council has said that it is “very disappointed” at the decision made by Aiken Promotions to not proceed with the three licensed concerts allowed at Croke Park.

They added that they have “sympathy” with the 400,000 planning to attend who had bought tickets for the events.

The Council added that it hopes Aiken Promotions will “reconsider” their decision, reiterating that they did granted a licence for three of the five planned concerts.

Dublin City Council statement in full:

“Dublin City Council is very disappointed at Aiken Promotions’ decision not to proceed with the three Garth Brooks concerts that had been licensed for Croke Park.

“The City Council has sympathy for those ticket holders who purchased tickets for the performances.

“Dublin City Council hopes that Aiken Promotions will reconsider its decision. Once again, we would like to reiterate that Dublin City Council granted a licence for three concerts.”

And yet, that's what happened.

Then we really need to retake power from these people, they don't have the power to negotiate, they are supposed to serve and obey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Then we really need to retake power from these people, they don't have the power to negotiate, they are supposed to serve and obey.
    That is why the country went bankrupt in the first place, with people doing what the politicians told them, instead of their proper job.

They're supposed to serve the people of Dublin, which they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭recyclops

DCC appeal to Aiken / Brooks to reconsider cancellation:

Someone needs some money it seems

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Hopefully thats the last we hear of it...

...but I know thats not going to be the case

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    Could it not have been split between two venues? Three nights at Croke Park two at the Aviva? Or somewhere else in the country. Would have cost a lot more than having all 5 in the same place, but a lot less than cancelling them. On saying that (and I am certainly no fan of Mr Brooks music and wouldn't cross the road to watch him in concert) I admire him for cancelling all of them. I havn't got time to read the whole thread but it seems to be a stupid, disorganised, last minute fiasco and the loss of revenue and reputation is a fitting consequence. And my sympathy for "I bought a house next to a stadium and don't like it being used" is pretty minimum to be honest.

Even for those who brought after the Crooke Park spruce up in 2000(?), the deal was GAA games plus three events a year... Fair enough you buy knowing that's the arrangement. Then after 1D tripped their merry way through Dublin in May, the GAA got wind they could have another taker for those three agreed event dates for 2014, conveniently forgetting that they had already had this years bite of the cherry with the 1D concert windfall. It's called 'pushing your luck'. Whether it was Aitken or the GAA, someone at DCC should have pulled the plug much earlier. Gareth Brooks doesn't come out of this smelling of roses either, with his "Don't you know who I am" attitude (5 or nothing).

If the residents had rolled over, then it would have set a precedent, and by 2017, they'd be stuck with a concert almost every weekend. As someone who lived by Eden Park and frequently came home to idiots not only parking across my driveway, but also in it, the local residents have a point.

The licensing rules need to be changed so they are obtained before ticket sales take place. I'd also suggest that given a number of residents have (belatedly?) come out in support of the concerts, that maybe a local referendum increasing the concerts to 5 or even 7 a year take place, with limitations around which days to minimise disruption to residents.

recyclops wrote: »
    Someone needs some money it seems

Might also be crapping themselves about the invertible investigation into this calamity and how much of a role they played in it.

Local project fund loses out on a €500,000 cash windfall also.

One wonders if the DCC will try and reverse this cancellation first thing in the morning when it dawns on them what they have done.

They served and tiny minuscule fraction at a cost of millions to the majority of the people of Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Deedsie wrote: »
    They have

In London, for Irish citizens living there. If only their own country was capable of providing for them that €600,000 may have been kept in Ireland?

If only their own countries legislators had a clue, €50,000,000 would be circulated into the Irish economy as a result of these concerts. But ya the GAA are the problem

The GAA knew the legislation
    Aiken knew the legislation
    They both tried to ram another 2 concerts down the residents throats, if they had just taken the 3 the residents would have complied... EVEN THOUGH THE RESIDENTS DIDN:T HAVE TO COMPLY BECAUSE THE GAA HAD USED UP THEIR 3 CONCERTS BEFORE!!!..

So.. again.. it's the fault of the resident for wanting to stick to an agreement..... and stay within legislation!!!

click here for an image of the spin being supplied to the masses by the MEDIA SH1t Stirrers <><><>

Not if the releases from yesterday which stated that 3 licenses were granted and that it was IMPOSSIBLE to review the situation. Case Closed.

Today we hear that 'secretly' he was promised four concerts.

NONSENSE, this is simply irresponsible and unlawful by previous statements issued by the same department.

It smacks of there not being enough in the envelope syndrome that was commonplace a few years ago, but that's also impossible now.

So what's left?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭recyclops

Might also be crapping themselves about the invertible investigation into this calamity and how much of a role they played in it.

Local project fund loses out on a €500,000 cash windfall also.

One wonders if the DCC will try and reverse this cancellation first thing in the morning when it dawns on them what they have done.

Prob had the cash spent already as well

Now trying to balance the books.
    City manager is a great idea. Having them make such decisions like this with no right to appeal is not

T So.. again.. it's the fault of the resident for wanting to stick to an agreement..... and stay within legislation!!!

It's not and never was legislation. It's not on the statute books.

Not if the releases from yesterday which stated that 3 licenses were granted and that it was IMPOSSIBLE to review the situation. Case Closed.

Today we hear that 'secretly' he was promised four concerts.

NONSENSE, this is simply irresponsible and unlawful by previous statements issued by the same department.

It smacks of there not being enough in the envelope syndrome that was commonplace a few years ago, but that's also impossible now.

So what's left?
    It was impossible to change the decision once it had been made, but the possibility of four concerts was in play before the decision was made.

• Advertisement

It was impossible to change the decision once it had been made, but the possibility of four concerts was in play before the decision was made.

That's the Perfect definition of blackmail.

A legal decision is or is not.

Conditions can't be applied, if under the law his three concerts were legal and his other two were not, they still are not, and he can't be offered an illegal venue from the local authority, of all people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement