Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

"Garth Brooks promoter Peter Aiken insists he was led to believe getting a licence for fourth and fifth shows would not be an issue " - You can try to ignore the headline all you wish.

The planning tribunal proved all we need to know about DCC and planning corruption in Ireland. Even the planning objections DCC accepted were forged.

Just on this before I sign off on this thread - I will quote what aiken said... "He didn't lead me to believe (that it would be ok to get a licence)"
    Peter adds he had meetings with Dublin City manager Owen Keegan in relation to the Brooks concerts.And he led you believe that five concerts would be okay? "He didn't lead me to believe that," Peter says, "because they [Dublin City Council] are not going to say that, because you have to submit all the details. If I say, 'I want to do a Garth Brooks concert on a certain date', they say, 'get it in on paper and we'll have a look at it -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Jim Rockford

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Just on this before I sign off on this thread - I will quote what aiken said... "He didn't lead me to believe (that it would be ok to get a licence)"

lol . . . This would be from the same article that headlined . . .

"Garth Brooks promoter Peter Aiken insists he was led to believe getting a licence for fourth and fifth shows would not be an issue "

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭hynesie08

"Garth Brooks promoter Peter Aiken insists he was led to believe getting a licence for fourth and fifth shows would not be an issue "

So did the headline lie or did the article?

Cienciano wrote: »
    Garth Brooks is a man who sued a hospital because they didn't use his anonymous donation the way he wanted it. I reckon if he turned out to be a serial killer that wears peoples faces the fans on here would still make excuses for him.
    The article in the sindo summed it up nicely. Garth Brooks hasn't heard the word "no" since 1990.

I reckon if DCC were famous and proven in a tribunal for being a corrupt incompetent planning authority some people would still support them.

As DCC never heard the reply of "No brown envelopes"

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

Cienciano wrote: »
    I think everyone needs to have a read of Gene Kerrigan's article in todays Sindo.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/gene-kerrigan/superstar-garth-brooks-charlie-in-a-cowboy-hat-30427041.html

Good article and well worth a read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

So he basically contradicts himself.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    So did the headline lie or did the article?

The sindo is gospel around here . . .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

SpaceTime wrote: »
    That's just not true. The licencing is the same for any gig in Croke Park.

They added two extra gigs, chanced their arm, lost and then had a hissyfit because the government won't override planning law.

It's utter nonsense.
    No they didn't

They added 3 extra gigs.

The first was accepted because it was within the agreed guidelines

The other two weren't

The inch was given, now they want the mile too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

muddypaws wrote: »
    I've always wondered, when people camp out in queues, what do they attach the tents guy lines to? Its concrete paving usually, so they can't put them in the ground.
    Dome tents

The sindo is gospel around here . . .

Then please, Provide us with a link to a more reputable publication that states that aiken was explicitly told he was getting the licenses.

• Advertisement

Then please, Provide us with a link to a more reputable publication that states that aiken was explicitly told he was getting the licenses.

This was the publication being used to dispute the fact, so either its reputable or its not, which is it ?

This was the publication being used to dispute the fact, so either its reputable or its not, which is it ?

So no, Jesus your kind used to try harder.

So no, Jesus your kind used to try harder.

The mask slips again . . what is my kind ?

The kind who start false arguments on the internet with no facts to back them up...... Not sure if there's a name for it.

The kind who start false arguments on the internet with no facts to back them up...... Not sure if there's a name for it.

Denying the facts of the planning tribunal.

I suppose when your out of facts again you can always try attacking the poster again . . . :)

A bit like the planning tribunal.
    I suppose when your out of facts again you can always try attacking the poster again . . . :)

You still haven't answered my question.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

It's not hard to understand what Aikens meant in fairness.

He let DCC know, they gave no indication of either outcome, granting or denying, which is standard policy. Given that no licence had been denied in 30 years or something he took this as a green light. That turned out to be a mistake.

nm wrote: »

He let DCC know, they gave no indication of either outcome, granting or denying, which is standard policy. Given that no licence had been denied in 30 years or something he took this as a green light. That turned out to be a mistake.

I completely agree with that.

Phoebas wrote: »

Yeah concert goers should be the swedish house mafia stabbing and slane girl abuser types instead . . . .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

I can understand being upset there's no concerts, but Jesus every time I open a newspaper there's something about Gath Brooks is there really nothing else going on in the world? The concerts aren't happening can it not just be let go..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

You should work for DCC, you'd be perfect for them
    Just like you so

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

nm wrote: »

If you could kindly show us the last time a licence for 5 concerts was applied for and granted...

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    I can understand being upset there's no concerts, but Jesus every time I open a newspaper there's something about Gath Brooks is there really nothing else going on in the world? The concerts aren't happening can it not just be let go..

400,000 people being messed about by one of the most corrupt and incompetent planning authorities in Europe will be news in that country.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

400,000 people being messed about by one of the most corrupt and incompetent planning authorities in Europe will be news in that country.

But they've been messed about by GB too, don't you see? The majority of them could have enjoyed the 3 gigs, so he's cut off his nose to spite his face, so to speak.

But they've been messed about by GB too, don't you see? The majority of them could have enjoyed the 3 gigs, so he's cut off his nose to spite his face, so to speak.

Or rather he's rightly stood up to one of the most corrupt and incompetent planning authorities in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

160,000 people you mean, many many of them repeat ticket buyers and unlikely to be the ones travelling into the country as they are weekday concerts.
    240,000 people can go to the gigs if the performer turns up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    Don't know how you infer that from what I posted - I never said that DCC made it clear all along.
    What is actually in that article is that residents told the GAA in February they would consider legal action. That says fairly early on that these concerts could be in jeopardy. If the GAA couldn't see that they are incredibly thick or arrogant.

You seem incapable of taking points put to you. I will try again:

The residents of Croke Park have been protesting concerts for donkey years. There is nothing new at all in that. To imply that because residents were threatening legal action, that this should somehow mean that Aiken should expect some of the concerts to be refused licences.. is abusrd. It never happened before and so he would need to be a fcuking clairvoyant to predict that it was about to.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/residents-seek-legal-advice-on-stage-work-for-u2-gig-26551404.html

Fine, Aiken may have went too far asking for 5 concerts, but:

1) He's a promoter. It's their job to try and promote concerts / make money.
    2) He broke no laws.
    3) He applied for the licences four weeks before he had to.
    4) The system foolishly allows for tickets to be sold for unlicenced events when it shouldn't.
    5) The DCC should have pointed out in their discussions with Aiken, before the third sale, that the chances of them granting licences for a 4th or 5th concert, were almost nil.
    6) The DCC had from May 25th to officially refuse to grant the two licences, they instead waited until July 2nd.

Just to solidify that last point: we know now that the reasons which the DCC refused to grant the two licences, were issues which were known to them from well before the licence applications were even made and so it is inexcusable for them to have not made their decision as soon as they could, especially when they knew that 160,000 people were going to be severely inconvenienced by their decision. The callous disregard for those people, many thousands of which had booked hotels and flights, is astounding. You'd want to be slightly touched to sit in your office from May 25th to July 2nd and not think that it might be a good idea to tell the 160,000 ticket holders, in that short a space of time, that the concerts which they have held tickets to for almost six months, are not going to be licenced.

Brooks is 100% correct to tell them five or none. Had he accepted the three, he would have been vilified and accused of not holding out for the fans that had their concerts cancelled through no fault of their own. He's also right when he says that you don't treat that amount of people in that way just because the system buckled. You prioritize and make the logical decision which is to let the concerts go ahead and fix what caused the mess afterwards. Whether that means fining the GAA / Aiken, or banning them from holding concerts at Croke Park or indeed reprimanding Keegan if found to have needlessly dragged his feet.. whatever, but you don't fcuk 160,000 people over because of a flawed system, incompetent council officials or a "greedy" promoter. To do so, or to agree with it being done.. shows a shocking lack of propriety.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Or rather he's rightly stood up to one of the most corrupt and incompetent planning authorities in Europe.
    Seriously, change the fucking record.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

El Weirdo wrote: »
    If you could kindly show us the last time a licence for 5 concerts was applied for and granted...

Who are you talking to? Did I claim that happened?
    You should read posts before responding to them

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement