Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

I am neither a GB fan or a Croke Park resident so I don't care if it goes ahead or not. I think both sides have behaved very badly.

:A lot of the objections have turned out to be fake names ruining the credibility of the whole group.
    :The GAA basically don't give a toss about their neighbours, they only see piles of money.
    :The artist himself has come across as a spoilt brat who wants it 100% his way or he is bringing his ball home.
    :The promoters have tried to blackmail the country into waiving procedures because of a large pile of cash.
    :the Taoiseach has degraded the office he holds by getting involved in the whole farce.

The worst thing for me has been listening to "fans" on radio and reading in papers their reactions. Words like "devastated", "heartbroken" etc have been used with people saying they "haven't stopped crying for days". I am sure terminally ill people, the recently bereaved or parents of very sick kids are entitled to use such language to describe their pain, those who have to get a refund and miss a concert should really be grateful if that is the worst thing in their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

bumper234 wrote: »
    Honest question.

Do you live in Dublin and if so do you live in an area near croke park? I live in the burbs and it doesn't affect me anymore but i sometimes have to drive through that area and it's bad enough on a regular Monday evening rush hour without throwing in an extra 80,000 people trying to access the area,the cars and coaches they would bring and the road closures it would cause. I'm not even talking about the residents here i'm talking of the many many MANY thousands of people who would be affected by this.

I live in Sandycove which used to play annual host to the Festival of World Cultures in August which apparently involved hundreds of thousands, and I truly miss the days of such hyperactivity in my area. I guess I just like living among liveliness, makes me feel part of something somehow. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

A line should be drawn with events like these, and it was, 3 concerts. Aiken and the GAA should be fined for every licence they apply for after the 3 concerts and every concert refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

repsol wrote: »
    I am neither a GB fan or a Croke Park resident so I don't care if it goes ahead or not. I think both sides have behaved very badly.

:A lot of the objections have turned out to be fake names ruining the credibility of the whole group.

Not fake names.. forged signatures. Big difference and a very serious criminal matter.

It devalues not only those genuinely opposed but the wider area overall. Who would want to live next door to some cnut that would think nothing of fraudulently using your personal details for their own gain..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

It devalues not only those genuinely opposed but the wider area overall.

No it doesn't when you have an answer back system to spot them, which was the case here.
    You'd be living next door to somebody stupid enough to try it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Not fake names.. forged signatures. Big difference and a very serious criminal matter.

It devalues not only those genuinely opposed but the wider area overall. Who would want to live next door to some cnut that would think nothing of fraudulently using your personal details for their own gain..

I suppose you have proof that it was another resident that forged the signatures?

Or are you again just throwing out random krap?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,966 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I live in Sandycove which used to play annual host to the Festival of World Cultures in August which apparently involved hundreds of thousands, and I truly miss the days of such hyperactivity in my area. I guess I just like living among liveliness, makes me feel part of something somehow. :D

I remember them well, used to be a good day out.

Very very few object to any concerts taking place. For most the 3 licensed gigs was a fair compromise. However imposing those restrictions on a Monday and Tuesday is quite frankly ridiculous.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

You don't know anything about the people who live in the area so kindly keep such outrageous comments to yourself please.

We don't know who forged what or if anything was forged to begin with. Do everyone a favour and stop with the OTT BS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

These are ALLEGATIONS! unless you have definitive evidence of these alleged crimes then I suggest you stop making a show of yourself.

JRant wrote: »
    You don't know anything about the people who live in the area so kindly keep such outrageous comments to yourself please.

We don't know who forged what or if anything was forged to begin with. Do everyone a favour and stop with the OTT BS.
    These are ALLEGATIONS! unless you have definitive evidence of these alleged crimes then I suggest you stop making a show of yourself.

He/she is obv gone off looking for some random article online that backs his/her point up.

Should be quiet thread for rest of night.

• Advertisement

Ace2007 wrote: »
    He/she is obv gone off looking for some random article online that backs his/her point up.

Should be quiet thread for rest of night.

My moneys on the Germans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

My moneys on the Germans

Aaaaaaand they score :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

How is the system "flawed" is it because the DCC decided that the midweek concerts would be too much for the area to handle what with residents being put out and 80'000 on the streets at rush h9ur? Or is it flawed because they refuse to back.down to political pressure and blackmail.from good ole GB?
    it wouldn't be to much to handle, nobody would be put out

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Maybe Aiken shouldn't have sold tickets without having the licence first as per the law?
    he did nothing wrong, he needed to sell the tickets to gage how many would turn up so he could sort everything out

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Same here....
    me as well

Am not a fan and don't have a ticket but i would only be in favour of the 3 going ahead. Monday and Tuesday concerts would be too much for the whole area and cause chaos.
    not at all, its only 2 days extra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Jim Rockford

Ireland is the biggest exporter of bananas in Europe.

And Phil Hogan is the latest one.

You get six years in jail for importing garlic, but nana for planning corruption

he did nothing wrong, he needed to sell the tickets to gage how many would turn up so he could sort everything out

ah your back, and I see you have just skipped over the 3 posts that I asked you to reply to regarding the law they broke.

Just like the other thread your involved in, no one else can have an opinion, and you will just ignore all the facts and keep banging on about what you believe in.

Are you rural

I wonder why would that be relevant to anything ? Surely not ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

For all we know they could have been planted to discredit the residents. No Guard has said anything about it, other than a Garda spokesman saying that an investigation is underway, the entire story and the extent of it has cpme from the Sindo's internationally infamous 'sources close to'.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Ahhhhhh ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaa.

Very rational as usual.
    Did you choke on one of your bananas again ?

Why only in the Capital City?

The GAA are spending 70m on a 60,000 seat stadium in Cork - Work hasn't even begun, and the residents down there are already looking for a limit on the concerts per year.

Not just a Dublin issue.....
    the GAA have a good opportunity in cork not to agree to a limit, they could still get the go ahead to build, the money and opportunities unlimited events could bring to cork with this new stadium is something for the people of cork to celebrate

the GAA have a good opportunity in cork not to agree to a limit, they could still get the go ahead to build, the money and opportunities unlimited events could bring to cork with this new stadium is something for the people of cork to celebrate

The point was that it's not just residents beside Croke Park that would be against a concert in a stadium near them. Residents in Cork are up in arms now about potential concerts.

Cienciano wrote: »
    A line should be drawn with events like these, and it was, 3 concerts. Aiken and the GAA should be fined for every licence they apply for after the 3 concerts and every concert refused.

can't be done, as they did nothing wrong, they can apply for as many licences as they want, if they were though, they would be right and should refuse to pay, just another GAA and promotor hating post for doing something they were entitled and allowed to do

can't be done, as they did nothing wrong, they can apply for as many licences as they want, if they were though, they would be right and should refuse to pay, just another GAA and promotor hating post for doing something they were entitled and allowed to do

Every application over the 3 allowed, can just be declined by DCC, the ball/power if firmly in DCC's court.

Don't forget the GAA have to get approval for the first 3 anyway - DCC could make their life very hard.

Aaaaaaand they score :D

Call it like i see it.

You don't live beside the redevelopment in Cork. If the residents there decide to lodge an objection to the PP that's their business. You choose not to live there, get on with it.

The point was that it's not just residents beside Croke Park that would be against a concert in a stadium near them. Residents in Cork are up in arms now about potential concerts.

Compo sponging is contagious . . .

Compo sponging is contagious . . .

Aspargus trampoline helicopter is upside-down

• Advertisement

Aspargus trampoline helicopter is upside-down

Have you been eating imported bananas again ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement