Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Jim Rockford

bumper234 wrote: »
    Here's a FACT........400,000 Tickets sold does not equate to 400,000 individual people. You can hope and wish and moan that i am wrong but the facts are that there are not 400,000 people going to se GB :cool:

How many then ? still waiting on any fact . . .did you run out of fingers and toes . . . lol

Happyman42 wrote: »
    So nothing to prove that there are 400,000 tickets sold...yet another person saying on the other thread that they where able to buy a ticket on TM for a sold out gig AFTER the Monday night gig got cancelled.
    Somebody is talking nonsense ...hmmm I wonder who that would be now?

I never claimed that I was quoting facts...you do understand the concept of of 'anecdotal evidence'?

Any sign of that factual real number yet, go on squeeeeeeeeeze one out . . . lol

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

That's it. Give the ticket number arguments a rest. It's moronic and going nowhere. Move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Maybe this has been already addressed earlier in the thread but with an estimated 40% of objections to the GB concerts considered to be forgeries, where does that leave the residents groups?

Will someone face prosecution because of this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Maybe this has been already addressed earlier in the thread but with an estimated 40% of objections to the GB concerts considered to be forgeries, where does that leave the residents groups?

The only source for '40%' is 'a source close' to something in the Sindo. So a large pinch of salt needs to be taken here.

Of course there will be prosecutions, but there are plenty of genuine objections from residents and business. Technically DCC could refuse on the basis of just 1 objection and they say that 'objections' where just a part of their decision making process.
    I can't see how it effects the outcome..the forgeries could just have easily been planted to undermine the residents. Seems to have worked well among the disappointed.
    It's a separate issue now and is where it should be, with the gardai, and won't affect the decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Thats likely something to do with the fact that the initial objection was from nothing more than a few posh south siders that thought they could speak for everyone. Noisy wheels, grease and all that.

At the end of the day I understand it from a "letter of the law" point of view but lets be honest here: the kind of people that will be going to see GB aren't exactly what youd call "trouble". So I don't see the reason 5 nights cannot just go ahead this year and quickly sweep this monumental cock up under the rug so the system can be radically changed for the future. Instead of being stubborn about it in that typical Irish fashion. "5 nights" now, means that DCC were "wrong" and f*ck me lengthways, do we ever HATE admitting that :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

And in the latest update in this fascinating story we over this past weekend:

We get a new minister who will draft emergency legislation to fix this issue:
    We get Ticketmaster holding off the refunds in anticipation.
    We get the minister saying he can't do anything, sorry.
    We get, what else did we get, I'm not paying as much attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

humanji wrote: »
    That's it. Give the ticket number arguments a rest. It's moronic and going nowhere. Move on.

Good point, as that particular issue alone was dragging an otherwise very constructive and factual thread down.

The only source for '40%' is 'a source close' to something in the Sindo. So a large pinch of salt needs to be taken here.

Of course there will be prosecutions, but there are plenty of genuine objections from residents and business. Technically DCC could refuse on the basis of just 1 objection and they say that 'objections' where just a part of their decision making process.
    I can't see how it effects the outcome..the forgeries could just have easily been planted to undermine the residents. Seems to have worked well among the disappointed.
    It's a separate issue now and is where it should be, with the gardai, and won't affect the decision.

So now the forgeries were planted by GB fans ? lol, gotta love the hater mentality being exposed for all to see . . . limping from one factless rant to another.

Red Nissan wrote: »
    And in the latest update in this fascinating story we over this past weekend:

We get a new minister who will draft emergency legislation to fix this issue:
    We get Ticketmaster holding off the refunds in anticipation.
    We get the minister saying he can't do anything, sorry.
    We get, what else did we get, I'm not paying as much attention.

5 gigs still cancelled, with GB' website still saying that...no mention of mediation or negotiations...or hold on to your tickets there. Garth is not for turning on doing the 3 legal ones is the current state of play I'd imagine.

• Advertisement

So now the forgeries were planted by GB fans ? lol, gotta love the hater mentality being exposed for all to see . . . limping from one factless rant to another.

Where did I say that was a fact?

Please debate reasonably.

Where did I say that was a fact?

Please debate reasonably.

said the factless debator . . . what's next GAA loving martians must have planted them ? . . lol

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

I'm lost, who's side are we on, do we want the gigs or not anymore ?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Good point, as that particular issue alone was dragging an otherwise very constructive and factual thread down.
    If you don't like the thread, don't read the thread.

Give the "hater" nonsense a rest. You're not a 13 year old girl in the 1990's.

said the factless debator . . . lol

Please withdraw that I said it was a fact...or you go on report. Sick of your silly playacting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

I'm lost, who's side are we on, do we want the gigs or not anymore ?

I'm with you. I've no idea.

Why can't we have a 'Super Gig' just like the Pope did years ago?

Give the "hater" nonsense a rest. You're not a 13 year old girl in the 1990's.

Yet its fine to call me every name under the sun . . . and even join in as an official moderation policy. Cool.
    Let the officially approved hatefest continue then . . . ;)
    The bummer for you is, that I love this thread exposing the anti GB concert goers for what they are.

Please withdraw that I said it was a fact...or you go on report. Sick of your silly playacting

The fact is . .per usual, you don't have any :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Thats likely something to do with the fact that the initial objection was from nothing more than a few posh south siders that thought they could speak for everyone. Noisy wheels, grease and all that.

At the end of the day I understand it from a "letter of the law" point of view but lets be honest here: the kind of people that will be going to see GB aren't exactly what youd call "trouble". So I don't see the reason 5 nights cannot just go ahead this year and quickly sweep this monumental cock up under the rug so the system can be radically changed for the future. Instead of being stubborn about it in that typical Irish fashion. "5 nights" now, means that DCC were "wrong" and f*ck me lengthways, do we ever HATE admitting that :rolleyes:.

So instead we'll adopt the "ah shure it'll be grand" typical Irish fashion?
    As we all know how well that attitude has served us in the past, and besides, our Irish rug has run out of room to fit anymore things being swept underneath it.

GAA, Aiken and GB were in the wrong - end of.
    It's about time we started holding greed and chancery to account.

Yet its fine to call me every name under the sun . . . and even join in as an official moderation policy. Cool.
    Let the officially approved hatefest continue then . . . ;)

Report posts you've a problem with or just don't post here. And obey the charter. If you've a problem with a mod instruction, PM the mod, don't rant on thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Here's something I found dated the 8 of May, 3 weeks into the 5 weeks for objections and whatever. It said that DCC had less than 30 objections.

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/garth-brooks-train-tickets-arrive-before-gigs-get-goahead-30255664.html

Does anyone else think its weird that number jumped from 30 to 370 in the space of two weeks ?

Here's something I found dated the 8 of May, 3 weeks into the 5 weeks for objections and whatever. It said that DCC had less than 30 objections.

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/garth-brooks-train-tickets-arrive-before-gigs-get-goahead-30255664.html

Does anyone else think its weird that number jumped from 30 to 370 in the space of two weeks ?
    Not really. Plenty of people jump on bandwagons well after they start. Some could be genuine, some could be fake and some could be people just wanting to complain for the hell of it. You see it happen in pretty much every planning application. The world is full of jerks.

Not really if you read this
    Croke Park residents plan to submit their objections to DCC this Monday. Locals hope an oral hearing will be granted.

Article shows though that all the concerns that people are feigning suprise about now (Aiken and certain posters on here) where in the public domain and being discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭secman

" Brooks must decide on fate of Croke Park concerts
    13 July 2014

Statement by Joe Costello TD
    Minister of State at the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade with responsibility for Trade and Development

It is time for Garth Brooks to make a final decision on whether he will play the three sellout concerts for which he has been granted a license by Dublin City Council.

It is time to take the quarter of a million fans who have purchased tickets out of their misery.

To date he has rejected all compromises and declared that it is “5 or none”. Nevertheless the ship with the equipment for the concerts was due to arrive in Dublin on Saturday and none of the tickets have been refunded to date.

The option is still there to play the three concerts now for which he has permission and apply for the two that were refused at a later stage.

He can thus accommodate 60% of his paying fans immediately and give the other 40% the option of a refund or a concert at later date in the same venue which would could take place under the original planning permission.

If Garth Brooks has his fans interest at heart as he says he has, then he should be prepared to accept such a reasonable compromise solution. "

Common sense just might prevail.................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I'm loving the thread, where else would you get such absurdity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Kensington wrote: »
    So instead we'll adopt the "ah shure it'll be grand" typical Irish fashion?
    As we all know how well that attitude has served us in the past, and besides, our Irish rug has run out of room to fit anymore things being swept underneath it.

GAA, Aiken and GB were in the wrong - end of.
    It's about time we started holding greed and chancery to account.

And there was nothing wrong or greedy with the residents claim of "laughable" at the 500,000 fund set up to help them?
    Greed is all round and its hardly more manifested than in the people youve mentioned but one can hardly blame said people for providing a number of concerts that an awful lot of people obviously want.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Past30Now

Having been away for the last fortnight I've missed most of this story. I've tickets for the Sunday night and would prefer not to go. I think the GAA, DCC and Aiken Promotions made a pigs ear of this, but the reaction of GB is disgraceful. Either play the three gigs or cancel the lot. Do either today - don't leave people hanging around.

He's showing no respect for the punters who've bought tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

And there was nothing wrong or greedy with the residents claim of "laughable" at the 500,000 fund set up to help them?
    Greed is all round and its hardly more manifested than in the people youve mentioned but one can hardly blame said people for providing a number of concerts that an awful lot of people obviously want.

And you can't blame people for wanting to be able to leave their home in the evening without being stopped at checkpoints every couple of hundred yards. Have you ever seen rush hour traffic in that area on a normal work day? It's mental....now imagine that plus all of the cars and coaches coming into the area plus THOUSANDS of pedestrians and it's the recipe for disaster.

This isn't just about the local residents although in my opinion their objections and reasons are enough to cancel the weekday concerts but also about the MASSIVE disruption that this will cause to a large part of the city for 2 days/nights running.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭deisediva

I have Monday tickets and want to know at this stage what's going on.
    So fed up of it now all I want is a refund this crap has taken the good out of concerts and put me off going.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

JRant wrote: »
    100% nonsense. You said it was the largest event to be seen in the city for years and you were wrong.

See it how you wanna see it. I said it the context of 'subject to licence' and how Keegan needed to get his finger out and not leave it so late to let 160,000 ticket holders know that he was not licensing gigs which they were due to attend just three weeks later.
    No doubt you'll blather on again, expertly moving the goalposts to suit your agenda. I don't mind at all because on this issue you are quite wrong.

Call it what you like. If you want to see it that way, fine. Doesn't make it so. This whole thing is about 'subject to licence' concerts. I said what I did in reply to a comment about 'Buyer beware'. There are no "buyers" at free events. You came along, jumped into a conversation and took something I said in context, out of context. Sure why not then use St fcuking Patrick's Day as your argument so.

Fact of the matter is: the Garth Brooks concerts were a huge deal for this city (and country) and were without question, the biggest (TICKET HOLDER & SUBJECT TO LICENCE) event of the year (or perhaps many years) which we have seen or are likely to see, anytime soon at least and yet.. Mr.Keegan spent from from MAY 22nd until JULY 3rd sitting around polishing his handlebars rather than thinking it a good idea perhaps, to let 400,000 ticket holders know whether or not he was going to license concerts which they were about and which the media were suggesting might not go ahead. In fact, the only relevance the Giro D'italia has here is that, because he is such a bicycle fanboi, chances are that he went into Walter Mitty mode when it was on and it could very well be the reason why Own Keegan spent the vast majority of the summer with his head firmly up his arse.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement