Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

TBH, if I had a huge event that I knew was going to be contentious, I'd be applying for it in plenty of time, ie, before I sold tickets for it at least, rather than arguing the toss over 10 or 16 weeks.

In other words, back in January or February or whenever those concerts were announced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

I'm starting to think Wishiwasa Littlebitaller is getting more enjoyment out of this thread than he/she would get out of the concerts.... :rolleyes: :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Speak for yourself please, Phil Hogan is not incorrect, just you and those that have repeated the same nonsense in the thread so far (and also those that thanked it).

There was no need to inform us of that, it has been quite obvious from your posts.

Totally and utterly false.

I will show you why in just a second but do you really think the Irish media, Aiken, Brooks and the GAA would have been banging on about how the licence applications were made four weeks prior to the deadline.. if the deadline was actually "16 weeks"? Which would of course mean that they had actually missed it?? That was actually plausible in your head and that not the Irish media, nor even the Worldwide media noticed that glaring fact, just you :D

Nice to see your post got backslapped by the usual suspects though. Gave me a chuckle. Par for the course around here, but there you go...

In any case, you made need to brush up on your "research" skills:

No shit. Why do you think I've been saying that Keegan could have made a decision from May 22nd all along. Do you think I was just using that date for the fun of it? No, I have been saying May 22nd as that is FIVE weeks from when the applications were made!! It was you that said it the DCC couldn't act for "ten weeks" earlier.. remember:

He applied FOUR weeks BEFORE the application deadline!! :P

Why did they accept the application. It was two weeks late according to you. I don't think I ever seen anyone be so wrong in one post.

LMFAO!! And people thanked this post??

Not only do you think that Aiken Promotions were so inept that they applied for event licences TWO WEEKS LATE and that the DCC accepted them anyway but also.. that as a result of that, Keegan didn't have to make a decesion on whether or not to grant them, until AFTER the concerts took place!!!! :D

Any chance you can show us where the legislation requires them to take into account 'tickets sold' or 'inconvenience to c/w fans'?

Or could you even begin to tell us how that would be a good idea in a planning process?

Saying as you know so much about how they should do and how long it should take to do their jobs like. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Who did? Aiken?

Some people missed the announcement about there being no announcement today because there was no announcement about it, hopefully there will be an announcement later today announcing whether there will be an announcement about future announcements tomorrow. In the meantime, keep calm and carry on , and watch out for further announcements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Joe prim wrote: »
    Some people missed the announcement about there being no announcement today because there was no announcement about it, hopefully there will be an announcement later today announcing whether there will be an announcement about future announcements tomorrow. In the meantime, keep calm and carry on , and watch out for further announcements.

http://www.obamacontradictions.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/nothinghere.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

I'm starting to think Wishiwasa Littlebitaller is getting more enjoyment out of this thread than he/she would get out of the concerts.... :rolleyes: :p

Hope he has planning permission for the climax - I'd say they'll feel tremors in Tennessee. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

JRant wrote: »
    More guff.

The entire Giro event was subject to license. Why can you not understand that point?

Never said it wasn't. I think you may have missed what preceded that term: ;)
    Fact of the matter is: the Garth Brooks concerts were a huge deal for this city (and country) and were without question, the biggest (TICKET HOLDER & SUBJECT TO LICENCE) event of the year (or perhaps many years) which we have seen or are likely to see, anytime soon at least and yet.. Mr.Keegan spent from from MAY 22nd until JULY 3rd sitting around polishing his handlebars rather than thinking it a good idea perhaps, to let 400,000 ticket holders know whether or not he was going to license concerts which they were about and which the media were suggesting might not go ahead. In fact, the only relevance the Giro D'italia has here is that, because he is such a bicycle fanboi, chances are that he went into Walter Mitty mode when it was on and it could very well be the reason why Own Keegan spent the vast majority of the summer with his head firmly up his arse.

Look, if you can't come up with another ticketed event which was, or would be, on the same or similar scale which the Brooks concerts would've been.. don't worry about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭bobrawn20

Look, if you can't come up with another ticketed event which was, or would be, on the same or similar scale that Brooks concerts would've been.. don't worry about it.

seriously sad attempts at trying to win an argument on the internet.
    protip for you all: it doesn't matter.

Speak for yourself please, Phil Hogan isn't incorrect here, just you and those that have repeated the same nonsense in the thread so far (and also of course, those that thanked it).

There was no need to inform us of that, it has been quite obvious from your posts.

Totally and utterly false.

I will show you why in just a second but do you really think the Irish media, Aiken, Brooks and the GAA would have been banging on about how the licence applications were made four weeks prior to the deadline.. if the deadline was actually"16 weeks"? Which would of course mean that they had actually missed it?? That was actually plausible in your head and that not the Irish media, nor even the Worldwide media noticed that glaring fact, just you :D

Nice to see your post got backslapped by the usual suspects though. Gave me a chuckle. Par for the course around here, but there you go...

In any case, you made need to brush up on your "research" skills:

No shit. Why do you think I've been saying that Keegan could have made a decision from May 22nd all along. Do you think I was just using that date for the fun of it? No, I have been saying May 22nd as that is FIVE weeks from when the applications were made!! It was you that said it the DCC couldn't act for "ten weeks" earlier.. remember:

He applied FOUR weeks BEFORE the application deadline!! :P

Why did they accept the application. It was two weeks late according to you. I don't think I ever seen anyone be so wrong in one post.

LMFAO!! And people thanked this post??

Not only do you think that Aiken Promotions were so inept that they applied for event licences TWO WEEKS LATE and that the DCC accepted them anyway but also.. that as a result of that, Keegan didn't have to make a decesion on whether or not to grant them, until AFTER the concerts took place!!!! :D

BTW, how could Keegan have reached a decision by 22nd May? Are you sure you are in possession of all the facts here?

BTW, how could Keegan have reached a decision by 22nd May? Are you sure you are in possession of all the facts here?

No! But I'm going to keep adding delighted emoticons to the end of my statements because it makes me feel superior, as if I'm laughing at your apparent ignorance/lack of knowledge :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Yet its fine to call me every name under the sun . . . and even join in as an official moderation policy. Cool.
    Let the officially approved hatefest continue then . . . ;)
    The bummer for you is, that I love this thread exposing the anti GB concert goers for what they are.

Nobody is calling you names here, no need for the paranoia

Jester252 wrote: »
    60% of a 1,000 or so complements is a lot less than 1,000. Besides you do you think brought up the other points, the small group of anti-gaa residents have been singing that hymen sheet for a few years now.

Have things taken an unexpected turn that I haven't heard off yet?

Only this morning I was thinking that all this whole GB drama needs is hymen sheets :D

• Registered Users Posts: 72,531 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

IT'S BACK ON! :D

My laptop's working again, wouldn't turn on before. :)

IT'S BACK ON! :D

My laptop's working again, wouldn't turn on before. :)

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,963 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Look, if you can't come up with another ticketed event which was, or would be, on the same or similar scale which the Brooks concerts would've been.. don't worry about it.

The Electric pinic is a larger ticketed & licensed event (now note, i'm using your exact wording here as the Girth Brooks concerts are in fact multiple events with licenses required for each one). Now if they can manage to pull this off year in year out why couldn't Aiken & Co get their act together for a few concerts?

Not to mention the Giro which was on a scale far bigger than these gigs.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

How could Keegan make a decision after 5 weeks ? He was obliged by law to first put it out to public consultation for five weeks which he did. Then after that the next month and more is spent liaising with the Gardai, Fire Officers, Croke Park operations etc to get their updated risk and safety plans. The Gardai, Fire Brigade, etc can't even begin any of this work until Aiken gets his application in and they finally get to study the detail of his proposal. That all takes time, your assertation that Keegan could just slap it out to public consultation and then make a decision a day after that finishes is just naive and shows that you have little understanding of how planning works, here or in any other modern democracy.

In fact given the sheer scale of disruption to residents in the area I'd say an 11 week planning process is actually pretty quick in the grander scheme of things of bring 400,000 people into the district.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    How could Keegan make a decision after 5 weeks ? He was obliged by law to first put it out to public consultation for five weeks which he did. Then after that the next month and more is spent liaising with the Gardai, Fire Officers, Croke Park operations etc to get their updated risk and safety plans. The Gardai, Fire Brigade, etc can't even begin any of this work until Aiken gets his application in and they finally get to study the detail of his proposal. That all takes time, your assertation that Keegan could just slap it out to public consultation and then make a decision a day after that finishes is just naive and shows that you have little understanding of how planning works, here or in any other modern democracy.

In fact given the sheer scale of disruption to residents in the area I'd say an 11 week planning process is actually pretty quick in the grander scheme of things of bring 400,000 people into the district.

You are entirely correct, Wishiwasa Littlebitaller is talking up a head of steam here without knowing what they are talking about.

Aiken was in mitigation after he submitted his application. 3 draft Event Management Plans where submitted;
    17th April,
    26th June
    29th June
    which had to be reviewed and assessed by the relevant people.

How DCC where expected to make a decision on 22nd May I have no idea, we'll let he/she who KNOWS how they should do their job, comment on that.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭jellyboy

Cant Girth Brooks play three nights in the picnic?

Im off to Start a petition ,email obama,putin, etc etc
    Anyone got a number for joe?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Day 12 in the Garth Brooks madhouse and there's a new task for the group to earn their shopping budget for the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Wishiwasa Littlebitaller quoting parts of the planning and development act, but appears to be ignoring the part that you need a licence before you can sell ticket or promote an event.

Just couldn't make this up, very selective reading.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,378 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There would want to have been five All Ireland's at Croke Park in one week for that to add up.
    So remind us again how many replays they'll have this year ?

I don't know whether this has been posted already..

Garth Brooks ‘set to cancel Irish shows’

By Jarlath Regan on April 1, 2014
    http://www.irishpost.co.uk/entertainment/garth-brooks-set-cancel-irish-shows

The decision to cancel the Dublin dates appears to hang in the balance. The source confirmed that the consequences of taking such an action were explained to the artist in a heated meeting.
    Brooks reportedly suggested the cancellation when it came up in a conversation over his plan to go on a paintballing weekend with friends on dates that overlapped with the Irish shows.
    “When we told him he couldn’t go paintballing because he’d committed to doing the Dublin shows he went absolutely ape ****.”
    The cost of refunding tickets is only the beginning of the problems the artist could face if he were to cancel the gigs.
    Apparently a non-refundable deposit for the paintballing weekend has already been paid and a mini-bus has been booked.

The show promoters could not be contacted for comment. It is understood that the mini bus has been cancelled.
    Those concerned about ticket refunds should check today’s date.

Life imitating art! :D

Any chance you can show us where the legislation requires them to take into account 'tickets sold' or 'inconvenience to c/w fans'?.

Or could you even begin to tell us how that would be a good idea in a planning process?

Saying as you know so much about how they should do and how long it should take to do their jobs like. :rolleyes:

Any chance you could quote where I said there was legislation for any of that? What a strange request.

Eh, newsflash for you happyman42: it is my opinion that the council should not drag their feet on making a decision which 400,000 people are due to attend, many of whom have booked hotels / flights etc. It is my opinion that the council should not be leaving it until three weeks before concerts are due to take place, to let 160,000 of it's ticket holders know that the particular concerts which their tickets are for, have been refused licences. I mean, you do understand that someone giving their opinion doesn't imply legislation, don't you. Perhaps not.

Well, I have to admit, when someone so vehemently says the is a 16 week deadline for concert licence applications and that the world's media never spotted that Aiken Promotions had actually submitted their application for the concert licences two weeks later and then further adds that the council didn't actually need to make a decision on those applications until AFTER they would have taken place because of that.. yes, I do find entertaining :P

But.. have to correct you on one thing which you implied there, as I never had any intention of going to the any of the concerts, as I've never a Garth Brooks fan. However, slowly but surely, I am becoming one.. as the man is a pillar of integrity and I'm glad he has not compromised (so far at least). After all, he had nothing to do with the making of this calamity. This fiasco was caused by an inept council, inadequate / disregarded resident agreements and licencing laws, so idiotic that it has become common practice for promoters to break the law on a daily basis. All feck all to do with Garth Brooks. The gigs should without question have gone ahead. Bban Aiken / Croke Park from holding more concerts for at least two years if you like and put together some kind of compensation plan for the residents / committee, in whatever way is deemed suitable but as the man said: when a system buckles, you don't treat 160,000 who have been effected by it (through no fault of their own) so poorly as to cancel the concerts which they have held tickets to for five months, three weeks before they are due to take place. Expecting that amount of ticket holders to carry the can for other people's ineptitude, is scandalous and screams incompetence. A clearer case of closing the stable door after the horse has bolted.. I don't think you'd find.

JRant wrote: »
    The Electric pinic is a larger ticketed & licensed event (now note, i'm using your exact wording here as the Girth Brooks concerts are in fact multiple events with licenses required for each one). Now if they can manage to pull this off year in year out why couldn't Aiken & Co get their act together for a few concerts?

Electric Picnic's attendance is nowhere near 400,000.

If they got 10% of thatm they'd be chuffed. Try again...
    Ace2007 wrote: »
    Wishiwasa Littlebitaller quoting parts of the planning and development act, but appears to be ignoring the part that you need a licence before you can sell ticket or promote an event.

I quoted the part that was relevant to show that the user was talking out his backside about there being a 16 week deadline.

As for the part about needing a licence to sell tickets. Yes, this is the nonsense state of our licencing laws but Aiken is hardly alone in that MCD and almost every other event promotor also will sell tickets to events which are unlicenced. It's common practice. Hence why the vast majority of concerts in Ireland are 'subject to licence' mere days before they are due to take place. Yet more evidence that a man from Texas is not responsible for this mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

I have just heard all five are going ahead... I will be interested to see the reasons given for why and how it the u-turn came to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Sala wrote: »
    I have just heard all five are going ahead... I will be interested to see the reasons given for why and how it the u-turn came to pass.

Where did you hear it? So far only charleville lodge hotel claiming they're going ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

Where did you hear it? So far only charleville lodge hotel claiming they're going ahead!

A very reliable source!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,578 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Electric Picnic's attendance is nowhere near 400,000.

If they got 10% of thatm they'd be chuffed. Try again...

I quoted the part that was relevant to show that the user was talking out his backside about there being a 16 week deadline.

As for the part about needing a licence to sell tickets. Yes, this is the nonsense state of our licencing laws but Aiken is hardly alone in that MCD and almost every other event promotor also will sell tickets to events which are unlicenced. It's common practice. Hence why the vast majority of concerts in Ireland are 'subject to licence' mere days before they are due to take place. Yet more evidence that a man from Texas is not responsible for this mess.
    Why didnt the man from texas play 3 gigs? Why let down all those fans?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Sala wrote: »
    A very reliable source!

Let me guess.... So reliable they can't be named! :rolleyes: you must be working for the hotel!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement