Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Church of England to allow female bishops

in other news - no source given
    https://twitter.com/rtenews?original_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rte.ie%2Fnews%2F2014%2F0713%2F630497-burke-brooks%2F&profile_id=8973062&tw_i=488784945658466304&tw_p=embeddedtimeline&tw_w=410076391569227777
    Garth Brooks has confirmed in a statement that he will not play any concerts at Croke Park this summer

• Administrators Posts: 53,757 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

fta93 wrote: »
    You've forgotten the GAA, the group who broke the agreement allowing all this to happen. Yet again they get off lightly.

Yes, you are right. Them too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Business opportunity, as from the last cancellation, as Brooks still loves us, how about we organise a mass Irish Exodus and invade another country for a few days and see if they want our business.

My mates used to own the MV Julia ands I have it on good authority that I can get it for a couple of crossings.

Mercy sakes, looks like we can have a convoy. :D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

This thread's been fun :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Where's the ships?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭bobrawn20

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Really, that's a legit letter from someone who makes his living singing songs he writes, or does he even write his own stuff?

Anyway, thank Christ it's being finally put to rest if it is.

It's country music, hardly takes much imagination

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Really, that's a legit letter from someone who makes his living singing songs he writes, or does he even write his own stuff?

Anyway, thank Christ it's being finally put to rest if it is.

"Waive them proudly" "garth"

Your name gets a capital letter Troyal! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

awec wrote: »
    Shame, feel sorry for all those people who are going to lose out over this. Shambles from start to finish.

Brooks, Aiken Promotions, Dublin Council, the residents, the pro-concert and anti-concert posters on this thread - there's not a group listed there that hasn't come out of this embarrassing themselves in some way.

Safe to say this situation can never be allowed to happen again. Ever.

Ah give over FFS. The only one who is embarrassing themselves right now is Brooks. An openly petulant and greedy coward whose bluff was called.

Why shouldn't a situation like this happen again? A promoter chancing their arm and an artist who thinks they know better than the planning authorities?

Maybe this situation won't happen again as Aiken will know they need to treat due process with respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Thank fcuk the law worked for once in this country.

• Advertisement

keith16 wrote: »
    Ah give over FFS. The only one who is embarrassing themselves right now is Brooks. An openly petulant and greedy coward whose bluff was called.

Why shouldn't a situation like this happen again? A promoter chancing their arm and an artist who thinks they know better than the planning authorities?

Maybe this situation won't happen again as Aiken will know they need to treat due process with respect.

All those groups have embarrassed themselves. No point sticking your head in the sand and pretending otherwise.

And really? You think this protracted nonsense we've had over the past few weeks is something that should be allowed to happen again?

What planet are you on? :confused:

If a concert is denied there should never be tens of thousands of people left out of pocket. If you can't see anything wrong with that then that's pretty baffling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Shame, feel sorry for all those people who are going to lose out over this. Shambles from start to finish.

Brooks, Aiken Promotions, Dublin Council, the residents, the pro-concert and anti-concert posters on this thread - there's not a group listed there that hasn't come out of this embarrassing themselves in some way.

Safe to say this situation can never be allowed to happen again. Ever.

Hopefully we aren't going to end up knee deep in smug tripe on this thread going forward. :(

Give me smug over sanctimonious any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

It was a complete clusterf*ck by all involved from start to finish.

No one is free from ridicule in this. "Due process" is even questionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I agree with that. The only one coming out of this looking bad imho is brooks himself and whoever forged those signatures (even though they made no difference).
    Any other artist wouldn't bat an eyelid and just accept the decision and play the 3. Garth Brooks is the person who made the massive deal out of it. I reckon he lost a lot of fans over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Aiken will moves these to Cork next as soon as the new stadium is ready and he will petition for a bridge to connect directly to it from the lower road and I bet he will get it too.

Though, he has had problems with Cork CC in the past, Cork has more appetite to be the big cheese, ie, more manipulable.

fta93 wrote: »
    Not one for spite, but I'm chuckling at certain people tonight.

Me too, a handful. The vast minority of ticket holders, some of whom are friends of mine, I have great sympathy for.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Where's the ships?
    Being attacked by a boat load of cannibal rats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

All those groups have embarrassed themselves. No point sticking your head in the sand and pretending otherwise.

And really? You think this protracted nonsense we've had over the past few weeks is something that should be allowed to happen again?

If a concert is denied there should never be tens of thousands of people left out of pocket. If you can't see anything wrong with that then that's pretty baffling.

Who allowed it to happen? They didn't comply...end of.
    Enda hadn't got involved this would have been sorted last week. Brooks ultimatium failed and I am proud of this country...very proud.
    Sad for genuine fans, but ultimately they where used as pawns, originally by Aiken and then by Brooks.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I just really hope the money is there for the refunds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

By due process you mean the opinion of the dublin city council which is predominantly determined by the city manager, which has that power because of the agreement by the gaa who wished to build a massive stadium, and were given public money to do so, who need now to apply for planning permission when going over three concerts a year, the reason for which is due to a single street of residents who have never been happy with this stadium being built, who, for the life of me, have never (in the long saga of croke park), had their houses purchased by the gaa - the cost of which would dwarf the revenue lost by the garth affair.

Sorry, I mean damn greedy American singer or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Why shouldn't a situation like this happen again?

Because it's a bit shitty that so many people can, for whatever reason buy tickets to an event that hasn't even been granted a licence.

Something has to change as this has shown the whole process to be absurd and insecure. Hopefully some measures will be taken to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Hopefully an example will be set for those who would stoop to taking frivolous legal actions and forging their neighbors signatures too

Shambles:

Brooks - for all these letters and "I love you" crap
    GAA - for selling 5 nights without talking
    Residents - the supposed forged signatures, and then suddenly changing their mind post-decision. where were all these pro-concert residents in the time leading up to the initial decision?
    Aiken - for selling 5 nights without talking

Maybe I am being harsh on the council as they seem to have done everything right, but I don't believe anyone can sit there and call this anything other than a shambles from start to finish and keep a straight face while doing it.

Whether or not the right decision was reached in your opinion the whole process around it was total bulls**t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

All those groups have embarrassed themselves. No point sticking your head in the sand and pretending otherwise. .

I can't see how DCC have when in fact they could have refused all 5, but compromised and licenced 3, then again was amiable to the option of allowing matinee shows, of which Brooks himself mentioned first before hurriedly rowing back on when told he could do that if he wants.

Edit, I see your post above me now clarifies what you were saying.

How has Dublin City Council embarrassed themselves?

Shambles:

Brooks - for all these letters and "I love you" crap
    GAA - for selling 5 nights without talking
    Residents - the supposed forged signatures, and then suddenly changing their mind post-decision. where were all these pro-concert residents in the time leading up to the initial decision?
    Aiken - for selling 5 nights without talking

Maybe I am being harsh on the council as they seem to have done everything right, but I don't believe anyone can sit there and call this anything other than a shambles from start to finish and keep a straight face while doing it.

Whether or not the right decision was reached in your opinion the whole process around it was total bulls**t.
    Classic Irish solution to an Irish problem, let someone else sort it!
    GB did sort it by giving up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

What planet are you on? It can never be allowed happen again? A few concerts were cancelled, it's not fucking genocide.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

And now I'm glad I didn't know the way it all would end the way it all would go.
    Our lives are better left to chance. I could have missed the pain but I'd have had to miss the dance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Maybe I am being harsh on the council as they seem to have done everything right

They weren't wrong - but I can't see how you can call them right either.

They looked at two concerts that there was a planning application for, and said "no". They had the power to say "yes" if they had wanted to, but they didn't. They didn't have to, and they... well... didn't.

What planet are you on? It can never be allowed happen again? A few concerts were cancelled, it's not fucking genocide.

Why do you think it's ok to see tens of thousands of people out of pocket after a concert is denied.

Why would it not be better that if a concert is denied, nobody is left out of pocket?

Your genocide nonsense is deflective nonsense. Answer the questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

He could still play 3 gigs and bring happiness to 240,000 concert-goers - instead he is pig-headed and arrogant til the end.

It'll be a long time before he sells out another stadium in Ireland.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement