Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Owen Keegan should be given the freedom of the city. Hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I can't see how DCC have when in fact they could have refused all 5, but compromised and licenced 3, then again was amiable to the option of allowing matinee shows, of which Brooks himself mentioned first before hurriedly rowing back on when told he could do that if he wants.

Did they have a choice about allowing the three?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Did they have a choice about allowing the three?

Yes, they could have refused a licence for all 5

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i blame aiken promotions more than anyone, they're the ones who pushed this 5 night madness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

I'm glad this nonsense is finally over. I never want to hear Garth Brooks name again.
    Aiken caused all of this with greed plain and simple.
    Good luck.

• Advertisement

Owen Keegan should be given the freedom of the city. Hero.

I think €175,000 a year is enough tbh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Its the knock-on effect is the problem going forward.

Croke Park / Dublin may be ignored in future .

Find an ideal venue in the Midlands to suit all , like Semple Stadium .

muddypaws wrote: »
    Yes, they could have refused a licence for all 5

Had the 3 concert quota already been used up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

They weren't wrong - but I can't see how you can call them right either.

They looked at two concerts that there was a planning application for, and said "no". They had the power to say "yes" if they had wanted to, but they didn't. They didn't have to, and they... well... didn't.

They said no for a reason, GB fans may not like or agree with those reasons but they didn't refuse the Monday/Tuesday concerts just to piss people off or stick 2 fingers up to Brooks/Aiken/GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Classic Irish solution to an Irish problem, let someone else sort it!
    GB did sort it by giving up!

His share of some €32,000,000 plus all the extras.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

awec wrote: »
    Why do you think it's ok to see tens of thousands of people out of pocket after a concert is denied.

Why would it not be better that if a concert is denied, nobody is left out of pocket?

Your genocide nonsense is deflective nonsense. Answer the questions.

No body is out of pocket - they can still come to Ireland for a holiday, and they get a refund on the ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,578 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Umaro wrote: »
    He could still play 3 gigs and bring happiness to 240,000 concert-goers - instead he is pig-headed and arrogant til the end.

It'll be a long time before he sells out another stadium in Ireland.

He'd sell ten next year if ye wanted to and probably will once due process is adhered to.
    We're idiots here and theres plenty that'd still buy tickets for other gigs.

Yeah, One Direction did 3 nights in May :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Why do you think it's ok to see tens of thousands of people out of pocket after a concert is denied.

Why would it not be better that if a concert is denied, nobody is left out of pocket?

Your genocide nonsense is deflective nonsense. Answer the questions.

Why should somebody be out of pocket when they have to pull down a house they have built without planning permission.

How many tickets are sold can never affect a planning decision...ludicrous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

They weren't wrong - but I can't see how you can call them right either.

By... not being wrong? That's generally how being right works.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭Daith

Yes by One Direction

bumper234 wrote: »
    They said no for a reason, GB fans may not like or agree with those reasons but they didn't refuse the Monday/Tuesday concerts just to piss people off or stick 2 fingers up to Brooks/Aiken/GAA.

The reasons listed were noise, parking and general disturbance.

Not entirely sure how 3 concerts would fix the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭ebbsy

What a cluster****.

Get the Germans back in to run the country. NOW

• Administrators Posts: 53,756 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ace2007 wrote: »
    No body is out of pocket - they can still come to Ireland for a holiday, and they get a refund on the ticket.

Of course they are out of pocket. They paid to come for a concert and there's no concert. What if they had no interest in a holiday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

ebbsy wrote: »
    What a cluster****.

Get the Germans back in to run the country. NOW

The people who "run the country" are the only people who did their job in a professional manner.

• Advertisement

Tarzana wrote: »
    By... not being wrong? That's generally how being right works.

Not wrong ≠ right.

By wrong I meant obviously "breaking rules".

The rules stated that the DCC had the power to decide - which is what they did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

The reasons listed were noise, parking and general disturbance.

Not entirely sure how 3 concerts would fix the above.

3 concerts on the weekend, Monday/Tuesday concerts would have caused mayhem along with the normal.rush hour traffic in that area. Traffic due to gigs in croker can have a knock on affect as far out as Dublin airport and Blanchardstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

bumper234 wrote: »

The only reason being disruption being excessive over 5 nights rather than 3.

4 was offered by the City Council before 3 was officially announced, So in effect we're down to 1 night being the difference. The decision was made based on falsified objections it must be said.

In my opinion I believe the decision was made not thinking about the ramifications and this fallout actually happening.

For the peopel praising the DCC manager,lets see how Owen Keegan handles the housing crisis across Dublin.

• Administrators Posts: 53,756 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Why should somebody be out of pocket when they have to pull down a house they have built without planning permission.

How many tickets are sold can never affect a planning decision...ludicrous.

That's a pretty terrible analogy. If Aiken is out of pocket then that's one thing, but the people who bought tickets and travel expenses is another.

I'm not saying the tickets sold or travel costs should have affected the outcome, I am saying there should never have been the situation that people were left with worthless tickets, flights, boats or hotels. That scenario should never be allowed to arise again and I suspect it's something that will be policed more strictly going forward.

The process right now clearly has holes in it. Hopefully they're plugged.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Of course they are out of pocket. They paid to come for a concert and there's no concert. What if they had no interest in a holiday?

it's an inconvenience, but just cause the concert isn't going ahead doesn't mean they are out of pocket. They get the money for the concert back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Kangoo Man

The law is an ass, that allows any concert tickets to be sold in Ireland, subject to licence. As Garth Brooks said, the system got some pressure on it and it buckled...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Between this and one direction splitting up my summer is ruined.

Between this and one direction splitting up my summer is ruined.

aw no, are they all going in different directions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Ace2007 wrote: »

A self owned and drove bus driver near my home town is out of pocket by around €3,000. Probably would have paid his insurance for the year in the 24 seater bus too.

In his 40's, has a family. Not that that makes a difference but there are plenty of small guys losing out here that wont be told.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Not wrong ≠ right.

By wrong I meant obviously "breaking rules".

The rules stated that the DCC had the power to decide - which is what they did.

So what's the issue?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement