Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭Daith

Kangoo Man wrote: »
    The law is an ass, that allows any concert tickets to be sold in Ireland, subject to licence. As Garth Brooks said, the system got some pressure on it and it buckled...

No no, Garth was the one who wanted to put pressure on the system and it didn't buckle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

awec wrote: »
    Why do you think it's ok to see tens of thousands of people out of pocket after a concert is denied.

Why would it not be better that if a concert is denied, nobody is left out of pocket?

Your genocide nonsense is deflective nonsense. Answer the questions.

Because I value things like planning and peaceful living over the clamouring for short term financial gain.

You forgot to mention how the Government and opposition parties also embarrassed themselves - virtually creaming themselves in an attempt to get GB to play. FF referring to it as an "economic project" was particularly cringe-worthy.

I do agree that licencing laws need looking at, only in respect of when tickets are sold but not in favour of "ALL CONCERTS GET APPROVAL NOW COS WE LOOKED BAD WHEN THE NICE MR. BROOKS WOULDN'T COME AND PLAY EVEN AFTER WE ASKED HIM NICE".

Due diligence, planning, consideration and respect are all words clearly missing from the vocabulary of GAA / Aiken / Brooks.

If comparisons to genocide are nonsense, so too are cries of NEVER AGAIN.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭ebbsy

The people who "run the country" are the only people who did their job in a professional manner.

They certainly did a great job, ****ing it up like only they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

That's statement from the bould Garth is hilarious! "All I see is my mother’s face and I hear her voice. She always said things happen for a reason and for the right reason. As hard as I try, I cannot see the light on this one."

Hit poor old heart must be achey'ing and breaky'ing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Between this and one direction splitting up my summer is ruined.

Pfffffffff

Cheryl Cole getting married is much more devastating news :(

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,756 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ace2007 wrote: »
    it's an inconvenience, but just cause the concert isn't going ahead doesn't mean they are out of pocket. They get the money for the concert back.

But not their flight, boat or possibly hotel. There's no argument here - people with travel expenses are going to be left out of pocket.

"Sure come on ahead anyway for a bit of craic" really isn't going to wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Between this and one direction splitting up my summer is ruined.

See Croke Park and DIE.

Come to Cork next year ye all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

That's a pretty terrible analogy. If Aiken is out of pocket then that's one thing, but the people who bought tickets and travel expenses is another.

I'm not saying the tickets sold or travel costs should have affected the outcome, I am saying there should never have been the situation that people were left with worthless tickets, flights, boats or hotels. That scenario should never be allowed to arise again and I suspect it's something that will be policed more strictly going forward.

The process right now clearly has holes in it. Hopefully they're plugged.

But that isn't DCC's fault. They did their job with due process and transparency. You need to remove them from your list.
    I want Irish people to realise that and be proud. The law held under extraordinary pressure.
    As MY MOTHER would say...'We showed them balls, son!' ;)

keith16 wrote: »
    Because I value things like planning and peaceful living over the clamouring for short term financial gain.

You forgot to mention how the Government and opposition parties also embarrassed themselves - virtually creaming themselves in an attempt to get GB to play. FF referring to it as an "economic project" was particularly cringe-worthy.

I do agree that licencing laws need looking at, only in respect of when tickets are sold but not in favour of "ALL CONCERTS GET APPROVAL NOW COS WE LOOKED BAD WHEN THE NICE MR. BROOKS WOULDN'T COME AND PLAY EVEN AFTER WE ASKED HIM NICE".

Due diligence, planning, consideration and respect are all words clearly missing from the vocabulary of GAA / Aiken / Brooks.

If comparisons to genocide are nonsense, so too are cries of NEVER AGAIN.

I'm sure that answers some questions, but it doesn't answer the ones I asked.

Why do you think it would not be better that the scenario of tens of thousands of people being left out of pocket should be more stringently prevented in future? I'm pretty confused by your references to all concerts getting approval - who said anything about that?

Or was your answer just a long winded way of saying "yes, the process should be looked at to stop this happening again?" :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

keith16 wrote: »

This x 1,000,000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭ebbsy

it's an inconvenience, but just cause the concert isn't going ahead doesn't mean they are out of pocket. They get the money for the concert back.

People have booked time off work, booked transport etc., and Ireland looks like a gob****e.

Again. No wonder we are bust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

But not their flight, boat or possibly hotel. There's no argument here - people with travel expenses are going to be left out of pocket.

Then Aiken/CP really screwed them over, didn't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Happyman42 wrote: »

My mother used to say we cut off our noses despite our face.

I'm with my mother and not yours in this incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's all down to the moving statues. As soon as they stopped moving in the late 80s, everything has gone wrong for us. We need to amend the planning laws to tempt them back.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    But that isn't DCC's fault. They did their job with due process and transparency. You need to remove them from your list.
    I want Irish people to realise that and be proud. The law held under extraordinary pressure.

Yep, you're right, DCC can be removed from the list. Stick the GAA on to my list in their place! :)

I am not arguing with the decision made in the end (to deny the extra two). I am just arguing that the whole charade we've had the past few weeks is surely an indication of a crappy process that should be at least looked at to see what improvements can be made to make it easier for all concerned to just get it right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,396 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Why do people think its over as opposed to just another gambit?
    Ticket refunds don't start until Thursday according to the Aiken statement, presumably the ship hasn't been turned around yet.
    Story still has 36 hours to run I reckon with maybe a twist yet.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

ebbsy wrote: »
    What a cluster****.

Get the Germans back in to run the country. NOW

This is a proportionate response.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

A self owned and drove bus driver near my home town is out of pocket by around €3,000. Probably would have paid his insurance for the year in the 24 seater bus too.

In his 40's, has a family. Not that that makes a difference but there are plenty of small guys losing out here that wont be told.

I was referring to people flying in for the concert.

Just out of curiosity, how exactly is he out of pocket for it?

Tarzana wrote: »
    Then Aiken/CP really screwed them over, didn't they?

Yes, of course?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Again the only ones who have lost out here are the little people. Bigger boys like GAA, AIKEN, Dunnes Stores, Hotels ect will absorb whatever potential losses will come their way.

The fans mainly and small business relying on the income are the biggest losers as per usual.

The little guys, the insignificant ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

This post has been deleted.

EOTR Is obv busy for only the 2nd night of the year, the other was when it was initially cancelled, probably won't see him again.

Tarzana wrote: »
    This x 1,000,000.

The "all concerts get approval" was a straw man argument.

Who has said that should happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Ticket refunds don't start until Thursday according to the Aiken statement, presumably the ship hasn't been turned around yet.

I presume Owen Keegan has told them he won't budge, and they've finally accepted it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Post that on the Charleville Lodge Facebook page will you? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Presumably due to production costs and whatever which he'd have to pay for in advance. That's just my opinion though, I could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Red Nissan wrote: »

So exactly what Brooks did then?

Oh and it'a cut off our nose to SPITE our face ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,534 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

That did cross my mind but it does sound like they're rapidly running out of time or are already out of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Red Nissan wrote: »

Or even to spite your face...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

He stood to earn €3,000 from this, blocking off 5 days in the calender for the event.

So instead of earning €3,000, he's probably, at this short notice going to earn nothing over the 5 days.

I'm no mathematician or accountant but he's out of pocket by €3,000 whatever way you want to put your moronic slant on it because it should be good to hear.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement