Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

But..but... didnt someones sister, have a psychic dream, that the concerts would go ahead..?

I am sorry for all the dissapointed fans though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

the ship hasn't been turned around yet.

Forget the ship, it does not exist, it's a euphemism.

He can't turn anything around, the cargo is on a mega container ship, that docks in Antwerp or Rotterdam and is put on a frigate or coastal water container ship for local delivery or as likely is driven from Antwerp to ANYWHERE in the continent via Stobart or Nolan transport accompanied by Mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Why do people think its over as opposed to just another gambit?
    Ticket refunds don't start until Thursday according to the Aiken statement, presumably the ship hasn't been turned around yet.
    Story still has 36 hours to run I reckon with maybe a twist yet.

you gotta be kiddin

its off, no its on, no its off, no its on....Brooks has released his second statement in a week to say its cancelled ...he can't go back now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

awec wrote: »
    I'm sure that answers some questions, but it doesn't answer the ones I asked.

Why do you think it would not be better that the scenario of tens of thousands of people being left out of pocket should be more stringently prevented in future? I'm pretty confused by your references to all concerts getting approval - who said anything about that?

Or was your answer just a long winded way of saying "yes, the process should be looked at to stop this happening again?" :confused:

One of the few times it's ever happened. Why should we change the rule for the exception?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭emo72

Ace2007 wrote: »

Just out of curiosity, how exactly is he out of pocket for it?

id imagine he was booked to drive up and down from the country for 5 nights. easily see 3000 worth of business there. poor guy will have to swallow that:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

I'm glad this nonsense is finally over. I never want to hear Garth Brooks name again.

Amen to that, in fact up until 6 months ago I hadn't heard his name mentioned by anyone within my span of consciousness. Let's hope that once the hoohah dies down we can all return to those golden times when ignorance was bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

He stood to earn €3,000 from this, blocking off 5 days in the calender for the event.

So instead of earning €3,000, he's probably, at this short notice going to earn nothing over the 5 days.

I'm no mathematician or accountant but he's out of pocket by €3,000 whatever way you want to put your moronic slant on it because it should be good to hear.

He wont' earn the 3,000, is different to losing 3,000.

I don't know how busy he normally is, but I doubt he would be making that type of money over the 5 days anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭bobrawn20

If anything this has shown it's that Garth Brooks fans are off their faces batshít insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

There never really was a ship. It was a metaphor for Gareth's love for us and his mother's voice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Ace2007 wrote: »
    EOTR Is obv busy for only the 2nd night of the year, the other was when it was initially cancelled, probably won't see him again.

Eotr is probably organising a taxi strike or an aer lingus one .

The "all concerts get approval" was a straw man argument.

Who has said that should happen?

I don't believe I miss-represented your point.

I never stated you said it should happen.

You said the process should be looked at. I said yes, but not in the following way. Plenty of people think the licences application should be a box ticking exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Gene Kerrigan was right the other day. Garth Brooks isn't used to being told no, and really throws his toys out of his pram when he does. I do think a lot of his fans (maybe not on this thread, but in real life) can see through his "all i care about is the fans" bullshíte.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Gene Kerrigan was right the other day. Garth Brooks isn't used to being told no, and really throws his toys out of his pram when he does. I do think a lot of his fans (maybe not on this thread, but in real life) can see through his "all i care about is the fans" bullshíte.

Exactly. Don't forget, he's the man who gave a $500,000 donation to a hospital and then sued them for $1,00,000 because they didn't spend it the way he wanted them to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Or a missile one. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

bumper234 wrote: »
    So exactly what Brooks did then?

No. Garth will make his money. We seemingly had a unique situation here, people wanted to see Brooks in Corke Park.

People will want to see him even more now. It's sort of like bidding on EBay and you want to spend a certain amount, and you nearly have it, and it won by someone else, you do two things, forget it or spend more to get it next time.

I firmly believe maybe 200,000 Irish tickets will be rebooked for the continent.

We'd get massive spectacle out of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Once more for old time sake :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Bought a Garth Brooks USB memory stick yesterday,it was meant to have 5 gigs but when i plugged it in it only showed 3 gigs.Today it wont even work at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Red Nissan wrote: »
    No. Garth will make his money. We seemingly had a unique situation here, people wanted to see Brooks in Corke Park.

People will want to see him even more now. It's sort of like bidding on EBay and you want to spend a certain amount, and you nearly have it, and it won by someone else, you do two things, forget it or spend more to get it next time.

I firmly believe maybe 200,000 Irish tickets will be rebooked for the continent.

We'd get massive spectacle out of that.

Delusional to the extreme imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

So apparently he turned down 3 compromises, twat.

• Advertisement

Jim Rockford didn't save that much did he?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Bought a Garth Brooks USB memory stick yesterday,it was meant to have 5 gigs but when i plugged it in it only showed 3 gigs.Today it wont even work at all

Robbed from Journal.ie :pac:

I was meant to be going to two gigs, have loved him since the the mid 90s when he was huge when I was a kid. I'll try and catch him on the world tour but the whole good of his comeback has gone now. At this stage, it's all a matter of:

http://allaboutjohnmcblain.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/who-cares.gif

• Administrators Posts: 53,756 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

keith16 wrote: »
    One of the few times it's ever happened. Why should we change the rule for the exception?

We shouldn't change the rule! Just to be clear, I am not saying that the concerts should all have gone ahead, or that we should just accept everything in future.

All I am saying is that it's clear from the past few weeks that there are holes in the process. Irrespective of whether you think the end result of refusing the extra two was right or wrong I think the whole situation around it has been a farce. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Did they have a choice about allowing the three?
    One direction used up the initial three.

They didn't have to allow the first two Garth gigs
    or the additional third concert later on

so yeah they had a choice about the third request too for concert dates since

As Meatloaf said two out of three ain't bad.

I think you're way off the mark there and that it's swung the other way now. Everyone I know that was going has lost a lot of respect for him and would be less likely, not more to go and see him. The phrase 'he's taking the good out of it' was used and rings true.

We shouldn't change the rule! Just to be clear, I am not saying that the concerts should all have gone ahead, or that we should just accept everything in future.

All I am saying is that it's clear from the past few weeks that there are holes in the process. Irrespective of whether you think the end result of refusing the extra two was right or wrong I think the whole situation around it has been a farce. :)

No doubt about it. Absolute joke. I do feel sorry for the fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

Just finished reading GB's statement, and I'm genuinely in tears, he even invoked his mom, and stuff "happening for a reason", just a pity he left out mention of his dawg , ole' Shep, who was also looking forward to coming here to Eire,shucks, it's jest too funny, errrrr, sorry , I mean tragic.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Joe prim wrote: »
    Just finished reading GB's statement, and I'm genuinely in tears, he even invoked his mom, and stuff "happening for a reason", just a pity he left out mention of his dawg , ole' Shep, who was also looking forward to coming here to Eire,shucks, it's jest too funny, errrrr, sorry , I mean tragic.

Somebody should write a country song about this.

Somebody with talent.

No names immediately come to mind.

Shep or Ship?;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

You may laugh, but his target audience will lap up the crap statement written by his team of lawyers. I bet they were even laughing as they wrote it.
    I said before, he's the Daniel O'Donnell of America, he keeps confirming it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement