Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

ardle1 wrote: »
    No not at all.
    Rté six one news Today was expertly and professionally produced and edited, and I hope it is seen around the World! then people will have a better idea of how the real Irish feel about this whole episode.... The disgust and shame of everyone on six one Today was clearly shown, and not one off them blamed GB for this fiasco, and why would they?

Because they're nuts?
    Seriously though, what the hell are the real Irish? Splitters from the rest of us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

So much for nobody in the world caring or noticing what goes on here.

Article in the LA Times:
    Garth Brooks' 'Comeback Special' shows in Ireland canceled

In a surprise turn that has left at least 400,000 concert ticket-holders in Ireland disappointed, the promoter of country superstar Garth Brooks’ five sold-out shows in Dublin announced Tuesday that the concerts have been canceled after the city’s council denied to approve permits for two of the shows.

Brooks was scheduled to play July 25-29 at Dublin’s 83,000-capacity Croke Park Stadium. They were to be the singer and songwriter’s first large-scale public performances since announcing in December that he planned to resume touring in 2014.

“They have been canceled, but the public isn’t giving up,” a spokeswoman for Brooks confirmed Tuesday in the wake of the the promoter’s earlier announcement that negotiations had broken down.

"It is with great regret that Aiken Promotions today announce that the five concert Garth Brooks Comeback Special Event at Croke Park has been cancelled. No concerts will take place,” the promoter said in a statement.

“The ticket return process will be outlined tomorrow. Aiken Promotions have exhausted all avenues regarding the staging of this event. We are very disappointed for the 400,000 fans who purchased tickets for the Garth Brooks Comeback Special Event.”

Brooks chose Dublin for his planned “Comeback Special Event” to fulfill an old promise to Irish fans that one day he would return to play again in Croke Parke Stadium.

“I was quoted then as saying, 'When this stadium is finished, I would love to come back and try to fill it again... this time to the brink,'” Brooks said in a statement in January to announce his return to the country, “and we're back to do just that.”

Brooks walked away from touring in 2001, at a time when he was one of the most popular musicians in the world, to focus on raising his three daughters, stating that he would remain a full-time father until they were ready for college.

Brooks’ spokeswoman said he plans to address the situation of the Ireland concerts at that press event.

The snag in plans for his Dublin shows surfaced recently, well after 400,000 tickets were sold. After two shows went on sale in January, three more were added, and all quickly sold out. Promoter Peter Aiken told The Times recently that Brooks could have sold out more. “I don’t know where it could have stopped,” he said.

The hitch arose when the Dublin City Council, under pressure from some residents and business owners near Croke Park Stadium, objected to five concerts, citing a policy limiting special events at the venue to no more than three annually.

After the issue came up, Brooks responded that he would prefer to do all five shows, or none. The City Council met again Monday night to review the situation, but the city manager upheld the decision to withhold permits for two of the shows.

The Irish Independent newspaper quoted officials at other venues in Ireland saying they would be able to accommodate some or all of Brooks’ shows, but Aiken said it was too late in the game to shift venues with a production as large as the one Brooks planned to bring to Croke Park.

A spokeswoman for the Dublin Chamber of Commerce said the cost to the city of canceling the concerts would be 50 million euros, or about $68 million.

You seemed to have forgotten the bit which says they're laughing at us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

gandalf wrote: »
    The one definite that has to be taken from this is that any promoter of an event has to have a license in place going forward before they can sell any tickets.

I agree, and don't.

It is absolutely positive that we need a Vegas of our own run by gangsters in a deserts, perhaps the Bord Na Mona exhausted bogs as a substitute for a desert, who are only out to entertain and make money whilst providing a whinge free environment, or a least if one whinges one is just shot in the chest and buried in the bog and forgotten about.

Any thumbs up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Ace2007 wrote: »
    that's it - ignore all the facts and just look at the money end of it.

The money end of it is one of the facts though.

• Advertisement

roshje wrote: »
    Residents should have told the GAA we will give you the 5 concerts, but ye will get nothing more for the next two years

They did but the GAA already has contractual agreements which ruled it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

gandalf wrote: »
    5 days of concurrent concerts was always going to cause an issue at Croke Park, any sensible person knew that. Once that level was reached they should have considered another venue or splitting the concerts between two venues. Two days in Croke Park and a C&W Garth Brooks headlined three day festival in Punchestown.

punchestown is a terrible venue if 80,000 are all trying to arrive and leave at the same time.

take that played 8 concerts over 9 nights at wembley stadium in 2011 and those went off without a hitch, no reason why 5 country music concerts in croke park would be any different.
    When AC/DC played a couple of years ago they played the O2 and had an outdoor concert in Punchestown as well.

completely different situation. ac/dc started off touring concert venues during the winter and then outdoor venues months later.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭NightOfTheHunt

So will he go back to his residency in Wynn now, a bit classier than Croke Park anyway!

statesaver wrote: »
    Dublin City Council seem to think that the city can do without €50 million plus in revenue, the fúcking gobsh1tes.

Should they rent out corners to drug dealers and take a hefty cut in return?

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Should they rent out corners to drug dealers and take a hefty cut in return?
    Better than letting them have them for nothing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

No post mortem will be of any comfort to the disappointed fan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Unlucky for those who lost money from this but life goes on so what exactly can be done?

No point moping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

One word sums up this whole fiasco - Greed

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

nm wrote: »
    The money end of it is one of the facts though.

ok so he announces that he is coming to Dublin, hotels jack up the prices and hence rip off everybody - does this promote tourism that they keep banging on about - No.

Airlines more than likely won't refund cost of tickets - so people from abroad will probably still come to Ireland for the weekend, and hence the hotels will get some busy as will others - taxis/restaurants etc.

Croke Park probably won't get their cut now - Since they broke an agreement with the residence - they deserve this (for those who say the agreement doesn't exist, - why has the GAA never publicly stated that it does not exist?

Promotors will lose out - They could have applied for the licence a lot earlier than they did - Residence had threatened court action earlier on - what would have happened if the DCC had given permission but the courts ruled in favourite of the residence - who would you be blaming then?

If he was worth so much to Ireland, why didn't they sell tickets for 10 nights? 10 night special - think of the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

rossie1977 wrote: »
    punchestown is a terrible venue if 80,000 are all trying to arrive and leave at the same time.

Not if it is managed correctly. Also as a lot of the people going to the concert will be coming from outside Dublin it would make sense to have it some where on the route up or just off the M50 ring road.
    take that played 8 concerts over 9 nights at wembley stadium in 2011 and those went off without a hitch, no reason why 5 country music concerts in croke park would be any different.

That is a totally different stadium and not Croke Park.

completely different situation. ac/dc started off touring concert venues during the winter and then outdoor venues months later.

Just showing that an artist or bands can use two totally different Entertainment locations for the same show. If you read my thread and didn't decide to shoot it down on sight you would have seen that I said that some creative thinking was needed. Trying to force the concerts through in manner they have tried was always a high risk strategy and it has blown up rightly in their faces.

Unlucky for those who lost money from this but life goes on so what exactly can be done?

No point moping.

We Irish love a wake, this is one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

roshje wrote: »
    Residents should have told the GAA we will give you the 5 concerts, but ye will get nothing more for the next two years

What are the odds that the GAA will tell the residents " that's the end of any funding/funds/tickets or offers" and finally take action on the handball club-house/site which is causing so much division?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Folks, as a GAA fan all my life and someone who now lives within 1 km of Croke Park, I'm amazed how little flak the GAA are getting over this.

This has been coming since the U2 concerts in 2007 (?) and for Aiken and the GAA to say they didn't see it coming is crazy. An agreement was made in 2009 and the GAA broke it by wanting to have more than 3 concerts in the one year without consulting the residents. Why and how do they seem baffled that the residents complained? Both sides have been fighting over a rake of issues with 10 years and it was a certainty that people would complain if an agreement was broken and 5 concerts in a row occurred without any discussion. If you change the terms of someone's employment without discussing it first with them, wouldn't they complain about it?

The GAA had an information morning at the end of March which all residents got notice to attend to see the plans if they wished (I wasn't at it btw) so the residents coming out for the concerts saying to the media that they knew nothing about the process is wrong, they just weren't bothered attending I would say.

The general belief round here was that all 5 nights would be given without any hassle, regardless of what anyone objected on. Personally I didn't mind if the concerts went ahead or not, traffic is a pain but I'ld live with it. Then again, I don't live down Clonliffe Road and that's a totally different story.

Part of the 2009 agreement included the appointment of a Croke Park Area Liaison Officer for the residents of the area to discuss matters of concern. That is something that clearly didn't happen between the GAA and the residents. You can point the finger at Aiken, Brooks and the DCC but if an agreement was hammered out months ago between the residents and the GAA, I betcha that these concerts would have taken place.

dgt wrote: »
    What'll they do with all those concert shirts in Dunnes Stores now....?

i can sense the 99c red stickers now

Red Nissan wrote: »
    We Irish love a wake, this is one.

We've no body, remember the wise words from the bat**** crazy lord mayor today.

• Advertisement

rossie1977 wrote: »

Well then he can go over to Wembley and do 5 nights in a row.

1 hour after the 1D concerts finished and the roads in the surrounding areas of Croke Park were jammers - I know cause I got stuck in a Taxi - no where to go.

1 hour after a gig in Wembley and most of the area would be cleared. That's a huge difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

ThisRegard wrote: »
    You seemed to have forgotten the bit which says they're laughing at us.

Well, Billboard come close by labeling it "the Dublin fiasco".
    Garth Brooks' Five Dublin Shows Canceled

The country icon must refund 400,000 tickets for the Ireland dates.

After Garth Brooks and the Dublin City Council engaged in some back-and-forth regarding the country superstar's planned five-night run at the city's Croke Park from July 25-29, the City Council has summarily "won," and all five shows have been scrapped.

The failed negotiations resulted from the City Council's request to cancel two of the five performances, due to Croke Park neighbors complaining about the traffic and noise caused by the shows. Brooks refused to cancel any of the shows -- which would have reportedly brought in 400,000 ticketed fans -- saying in a statement to the city council last week, "For us, it is five shows or none at all. To choose which shows to do and which shows not to do would be like asking to choose one child over another."

According to Ireland's The Journal, the Dublin city councillors voted in favor of allowing all five concerts to take place on Monday night (July 7), but the city manager refused to grant a license for all five shows. Following the decision, the five shows were officially canceled, and Aiken Promotions released the following statement:

"It is with great regret that Aiken Promotions today announce that the 5 concert Garth Brooks Comeback Special Event at Croke Park has been cancelled. No concerts will take place. The ticket return process will be outlined tomorrow. Aiken Promotions have exhausted all avenues regarding the staging of this event. We are very disappointed for the 400,000 fans who purchased tickets for The Garth Brooks Comeback Special Event."

The canceled shows will reportedly cost the city of Dublin about 15 million euro. Brooks has planned a press conference for this Thursday at 12:00 PM ET, possibly to announce an upcoming world tour and address the Dublin fiasco.

nelly17 wrote: »
    One word sums up this whole fiasco - Greed

That's not quantifiable, Garth has walked away from his share of Thirty Two Million Euro. PLUS whatever vender and merchandise percentages.

Greed just does not compute.

chinguetti wrote: »
    Folks, as a GAA fan all my life and someone who now lives within 1 km of Croke Park, I'm amazed how little flak the GAA are getting over this. .

You do know that the Gardaí are investigating possible criminal activity under the cover of residents activity.

Seemingly there were few or less objections and this is not a conflict with the GAA Vs residents. Never was.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    What are the odds that the GAA will tell the residents " that's the end of any funding/funds/tickets or offers" and finally take action on the handball club-house/site which is causing so much division?

Keep blaming the residence.....

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Keep blaming the residence.....

But do elaborate, please, let me hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Nekarsulm wrote: »

What funding/tickets/offers do the locals get?

Well, Billboard come close by labeling it "the Dublin fiasco".

No they haven't, that's not what a fiasco implies.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

As someone who has lost money/deposits after gigs being cancelled, I sympathise with people who were looking forward to it.

But I also used to live in Clonliffe, so my sympathies would have been further reaching had FIVE consecutive nights of the same act gone ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭conspiracycat

Red Nissan wrote: »
    You do know that the Gardaí are investigating possible criminal activity under the cover of residents activity.

Seemingly there were few or less objections and this is not a conflict with the GAA Vs residents. Never was.

??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement