Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭loh_oro

Ah be jasus and be gara Sur who needs Garth brooks when we have Michael

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Opportunity cost - Intangible - He gets his 5 days back, its up to him to earn from an alternative source
    => he's not out of pocket at all, he has his time back.

and not a drop of diesel used either.

I have orders in the book for the next two months, anyone of them could go south. Never count money you haven't got yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Did Aiken give him a booking fee/deposit? Id say they have lost a few hundred thousand from all this sham

€500,000 apparently non refundable given to local agencies, organizations and youth clubs in the area of Croke Park for this event alone. Probably another €1,000,000 spent in pre prep and customization but all a drop in the ocean tbh.

Aiken are probably down €2,000,000 and will apply to recover that from the tax payer, and we WILL pay it.

On top of that, we will pay compensation to the order of €25,000,000 ~ mark and note. And you will has to stay alert to the court cases and be aware of who is who, because a silly name like Bengimine Disreali Frankling Brooks may take an obscure case against the Irish State and then the rest will go on you income tax, your petrol, household charge, water charge >..... you won't even know it and the money will be paid out unceremoniously.

Unless we watch it like Hawks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Red Nissan wrote: »
    €500,000 apparently non refundable given to local agencies, organizations and youth clubs in the area of Croke Park for this event alone. Probably another €1,000,000 spent in pre prep and customization but all a drop in the ocean tbh.

Aiken are probably down €2,000,000 and will apply to recover that from the tax payer, and we WILL pay it.

On top of that, we will pay compensation to the order of €25,000,000 ~ mark and note. And you will has to stay alert to the court cases and be aware of who is who, because a silly name like Bengimine Disreali Frankling Brooks may take an obscure case against the Irish State and then the rest will go on you income tax, your petrol, household charge, water charge >..... you won't even know it and the money will be paid out unceremoniously.

Tinfoil hat is in the post for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Fortyjocks

Cienciano wrote: »
    Every statement he makes he comes across as a wánker. That press conference especially.

Agree - someone needs to tell him the leprechauns left the country years ago! And what was the big drama and promise of hope for the last few days when it was clear Brooks wasn't going to budge an inch and was quiet happy to give a PFO to the 240k fans with tickets for licensed gigs!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Eh, how do you figure that the state is liable for anything here??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Utter bollox, if Aiken didn't cover his arse with "subject to licence" he is a very foolish man. DCC cannot be sued for denying planning permission for 5 gigs, love to see Brooks try that......Councils deny planning permission sll the time......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

Aiken should be fined in my opinion,although you cannot refund the people who booked hotels etc,but i think they should still be fined all the same as its their responsiblity for selling the tickets in the first place without proper licences in place and having failed to deliver the concerts.

Tinfoil hat is in the post for you.

Daft. Tinfoil has no defense against a Judge.

It's not a conspiracy, unless it always was one to take a case against the state.

But it's far form the Tinfoil Hat brigade.

secman wrote: »
    Utter bollox, if Aiken didn't cover his arse with "subject to licence" he is a very foolish man. DCC cannot be sued for denying planning permission for 5 gigs, love to see Brooks try that......Councils deny planning permission sll the time......

He won't be sueing DCC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I think Brooks and his management ( and I would bet it is they who are dictating what is happening here) couldn't make the mullah without doing 5, so where never going to do 3 because they will sue for malpractice or incompetence on Aiken's behalf. The standout sentence at the press conference...'We where never told that the gigs where subject to licence'.

If they can prove that...it is going be painful for Aiken.

Daft. Tinfoil has no defense against a Judge.

It's not a conspiracy, unless it always was one to take a case against the state.

But it's far form the Tinfoil Hat brigade.
    It's pretty far from reality too.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Eh, how do you figure that the state is liable for anything here??

That, you will, WILL see in time. As I said, mark and note. If he loses, I'll eat my Stetson on YouTube.

That, you will, WILL see in time. As I said, mark and note. If he loses, I'll eat my Stetson on YouTube.

So give us a hint, on what grounds will the state be sued, and lose?

Happyman42 wrote: »
    I think Brooks and his management ( and I would bet it is they who are dictating what is happening here) couldn't make the mullah without doing 5, so where never going to do 3 because they will sue for malpractice or incompetence on Aiken's behalf. The standout sentence at the press conference...'We where never told that the gigs where subject to licence'.

If he looked at one of his own tickets, he'd know!

Better start now so, try soaking it first.... Brooks has no case whatever against the state, not a chance .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Happyman42 wrote: »

And if TM can't come up with the money it could get very interesting indeed. Now if one good thing was to come out of it I'd love to see them gougers take a pasting.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

It's pretty far from reality too.

Whilst we have had major embarrassments in business, I for instance watched Bertie get out of the state helicopter in Midleton for what we already knew was a white elephant, Angem...

And he said what prosperity it would bring

Things should NOT be allowed to happen, yet we allow it to be so.

He won't be sueing DCC.

Sue 'em all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

So Brooks, not wanting to piss off 160k fans, opts to piss off 240k fans instead .......

• Advertisement

Whilst we have had major embarrassments in business, I for instance watched Bertie get out of the state helicopter in Midleton for what we already knew was a white elephant, Amtron ...

And he said what prosperity it would bring

Things should NOT be allowed to happen, yet we allow it to be so.

You're speaking in tongues now.

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    So Brooks, not wanting to piss off 160k fans, opts to piss off 240k fans instead .......

I think it's commonly referred to as 'the nuclear option'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

At last!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Twickers

Perhaps politicians et al can now put as much effort in domestic affairs e.g. sort out the Health Dept, get rid of number of Quangos etc.
    Oops, sorry that I forgot that they are now due 3 months ? holidays

You're speaking in tongues now.

Too much insider knowledge, a little old age, a little confusion.

I saw several businesses have launch days, open days that we knew were going to fail or not materalise at all.

JRant wrote: »
    And if TM can't come up with the money it could get very interesting indeed. Now if one good thing was to come out of it I'd love to see them gougers take a pasting.

Most likely these funds have been held in a " client" bank account . TM probably down €200k on printing, postage, stationery before labour costs. Aiken on a sticky wicket with Brooks on one side and TM looking for costs to be covered. Messy all round and for the punters too, at least they get their ticket money refunded.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

had a quick look at EOTR profile - he's been online since the news broke - but hasn't got the guts to post here and admit that he got it wrong, and all his guarantees that it would go ahead were just BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Most likely these funds have been held in a " client" bank account . TM probably down €200k on printing, postage, stationery before labour costs. Aiken on a sticky wicket with Brooks on one side and TM looking for costs to be covered. Messy all round and for the punters too, at least they get their ticket money refunded.

you think its costing TM 200k on printing/postage and stationary - are you actually serious?

Ticketmaster would be paid by Aiken for a service - and probably have the cost of refunds covered as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

You know who I feel sorry. Those people that bought their tickets, sold them at a profit and then have to track down the people they sold to, to give them their refund. Which of course they all will do.

• Advertisement

Most likely these funds have been held in a " client" bank account .

Hedge Funds, that's where the money is, low returns on golden stocks..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement