Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

secman wrote: »
    Most likely these funds have been held in a " client" bank account . TM probably down €200k on printing, postage, stationery before labour costs. Aiken on a sticky wicket with Brooks on one side and TM looking for costs to be covered. Messy all round and for the punters too, at least they get their ticket money refunded.

Absolutely. I'd say Aiken has the same look on his face that Gouch had when Warney threw him his first googley and the words "what the hell was that" slowly cursing from his lips.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

You know who I feel sorry. Those people that bought their tickets, sold them at a profit and then have to track down the people they sold to, to give them their refund. Which of course they all will do.

Guy on the radio saying (it was happening all through the queue apparently) that people where giving cash to people with credit/ debit cards further up the queue to get them tickets.

Ouch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

No sign of Rockford either.

Quite a few people are conspicuous by their absence.

Especially Mr Brooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Ace2007 wrote: »
    you think its costing TM 200k on printing/postage and stationary - are you actually serious?

Ticketmaster would be paid by Aiken for a service - and probably have the cost of refunds covered as well.

Aiken said he had no insurance cover so TM costs will have to be covered by Aiken, when I said TM were down I meant costs incurred, will Aiken be able to cover these plus the labour costs of the refund process. Very messy dl round, Brooks down the shipping costs too..
    .Say Aiken is a worried man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Ticketmaster would be paid by Aiken for a service - and probably have the cost of refunds covered as well.

Ticketmaster are agents and are not directly paid, they charge a fee, which is also your guarantee and insurance, there is a commission from the back end and hedge funding which would be quite considerable in this case, €32,000,000 @ 2% for how many months, say three is over €260,000. PLUS THEIR MONEY BACK. :)

Aiken said he had no insurance cover so TM costs will have to be covered by Aiken, when I said TM were down I meant costs incurred, will Aiken be able to cover these plus the labour costs of the refund process. Very messy dl round, Brooks down the shipping costs too..
    .Say Aiken is a worried man.

I really hope you're right and the money is resting in an account somewhere because that kind of money in such a short space of time could be trouble otherwise.

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Ticketmaster are agents and are not directly paid, they charge a fee, which is also your guarantee and insurance, there is a commission from the back end and hedge funding which would be quite considerable in this case, €32,000,000 @ 2% for how many months, say three is over €260,000. PLUS THEIR MONEY BACK. :)

Typically how long would it take to release these kinds of funds then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Plus of course there will be a sh1tload of folk who bought tickets off scalpers and donedeal or whatever. I'd say there's a sizeable amount who won't be getting anything back. Given the circumstances, I'd bet Ticketmaster will be pretty eagle eyed in making sure the name matches the CC details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

iguana wrote: »
    If it does, I'd say the twist will be that there is a problem with the refunds. A lot of money must have been spent already on these concerts by Aikens/Brooks/the GAA. That money will have come out of the ticket money, surely?

A lot of interest would have been earned of that money. That might cover it.

• Advertisement

JRant wrote: »
    Typically how long would it take to release these kinds of funds then?

Hedge Funds are short notice, invest in the morning and take it our at tea time if you want, except you can't it's not a public stock exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Most likely these funds have been held in a " client" bank account . TM probably down €200k on printing, postage, stationery before labour costs. Aiken on a sticky wicket with Brooks on one side and TM looking for costs to be covered. Messy all round and for the punters too, at least they get their ticket money refunded.

Any suggestion that the state could be liable is twaddle though.

Aitken stretched the law selling tickets for an event without permission.

DCC acted in accordance with the law, and will be protected by it.

Any suggestion that the state could be liable is twaddle though.

Aitken stretched the law selling tickets for an event without permission.

DCC acted in accordance with the law, and will be protected by it.

Who cares now anyway, most of you won't hear another thing about it.

The important thing now, is where are we GOING TO SEE HIM. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,533 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Michael O'Leary's take on the whole affair : "The concerts should be fixed (go ahead). It's an absurdity that you have some bureaucrat in Dublin City Council......people should be let go to the concerts, it's bizarre, it wouldn't happen in any other country in the world".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Strazdas wrote: »
    Michael O'Leary's take on the whole affair : "The concerts should be fixed (go ahead). It's an absurdity that you have some bureaucrat in Dublin City Council......people should be let go to the concerts, it's bizarre, it wouldn't happen in any other country in the world".

Right, the oracle of dignified civic interest has spoken.

The concerts must be staged.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Right now there is some anti gaa resident planning on stopping the All-Ireland, just to get the edge extra sharp on that axe he has to grind.

Right Michael, opportunistic to 200,000 people from Ireland or even 300,000 but I guess a lot won't travel, but even 100,000 ~ go on give us a price. Say 50C to Munich. Go on ye goo thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Planning permission for much more lucrative things get turned down around the world everyday of the week.
    He should get out more! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Jester252 wrote: »
    Right now there is some anti gaa resident planning on stopping the All-Ireland, just to get the edge extra sharp on that axe he has to grind.

Let's see the sliotar out of that one...

Whilst I disagreed very early in this thread, or the other closed thread, and dismissed any vitriol against the GAA ~ it patently is so.

I hope they win as I don't want to see Cork playing in that infested grounds ever again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

That was rich coming from him, the very person who financially penalises his passengers if they don't follow the laws of RyanAir when flying with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

So Brooks has been offered SIX concerts. 3 now and 3 in October - and he's still saying no.

Even the most ardent Brooks supporter has to now go at least some way towards admitting the man is a dick!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

anncoates wrote: »
    Right, the oracle of dignified civic interest has spoken.

The concerts must be staged.

Unlike the states airline he's generated a lot of income for the the exchequer. If more were like him (the government most importantly) our country would be in a much better place.

link or source backing up your statement please?

Laois_Man wrote: »
    So Brooks has been offered SIX concerts. 3 now and 3 in October - and he's still saying no.

Even the most ardent Brooks supporter has to now go at least some way towards admitting the man is a dick!!

can you link me to where you read the above please?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

pablo128 wrote: »
    Plus of course there will be a sh1tload of folk who bought tickets off scalpers and donedeal or whatever. I'd say there's a sizeable amount who won't be getting anything back. Given the circumstances, I'd bet Ticketmaster will be pretty eagle eyed in making sure the name matches the CC details.

They'll have to. Refunds should be processed to the same card used to purchase, otherwise it can be money laundering. Which is a tad illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Unlike the states airline he's generated a lot of income for the the exchequer. If more were like him (the government most importantly) our country would be in a much better place.

Yeah but you'd be paying per item for waste collection, per glass for water, and don't even think about what would happen to any form of social welfare :rolleyes:

He's very good at what he does, running a democratic country is not what he does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

pablo128 wrote: »

If someone won't refund your money, threaten to ring ticket master with the ticket details. He/she won't be long refunding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Anyone that bought their ticket from a tout can write it off on getting a refund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Tilikum wrote: »
    If someone won't refund your money, threaten to ring ticket master with the ticket details. He/she won't be long refunding.
    Why would he/she be motivated so easily? He/She will be refunded automatically by Ticketmaster so he/she'll be quids up.
    Ticketmaster have effectively said they they're not getting involved when they said
    10. Question - I purchased tickets from unauthorised ticketing sellers. How can I get a refund?
    Answer - Individuals who purchased tickets from unauthorised ticket sellers will need to contact that ticket seller to obtain a refund.
    http://www.ticketmaster.ie/legal/gbrefunds.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement