Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Is it over? Is...it....really over? Has the fat lady sung?
    Not sure but the fat man is refusing to sing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

bumper234 wrote: »
    *SIGH*

This will not have any sort of negative effect on Ireland.....No one cares about Brooks.

It was not going to be a "Movie" it was going to be "documentary" that Brooks was going to use to fleece his fans for more money.

Why should the government apologise for Brooks/Aiken/GAA's greed?

It's not a huge story outside of this tiny island nation.

There are not 400,000 ticket holders, There are 400,000 tickets that people bought multiples of.

:rolleyes:

Don't you go bursting delusional irate fanboy bubbles.......OR ELSE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

*SIGH*
    There are not 400,000 ticket holders, There are 400,000 tickets that people bought multiples of.

Pedantic and speculation, no one will know exactly how many people bought multiples, the vast vast majority will have bought one. The fact stands, a lot of people were ****ed around by this whole mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I really don't understand why it's so hard for DCC to renage on the decision to cancel the five concerts.

But this whole farce is just more proof, as if it were needed, Ireland is a nation of killjoys and begrudgers who appear to be so unhappy with our lot we take pleasure in the disappointment of 400,000 people who just wanted to have a good time and enjoy listening to their favourite musician for a few hours.

If greed is a factor here it's not Garth Brooks greed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

I really don't understand why it's so hard for DCC to renage on the decision to cancel the five concerts.

But this whole farce is just more proof, as if it were needed, Ireland is a nation of killjoys and begrudgers who appear to be so unhappy with our lot we take pleasure in the disappointment of 400,000 people who just wanted to have a good time and enjoy listening to their favourite musician for a few hours.

Ignorance is bliss..........

• Advertisement

They didn't cancel anything.

They refused to grant permission. Big difference.

Look to your favorite musician as to why you can't have a good time and enjoy listening to him for a few hours. An offer for 6 gigs was made.
    Brooks is a tool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

nm wrote: »
    Pedantic and speculation, no one will know exactly how many people bought multiples, the vast vast majority will have bought one. The fact stands, a lot of people were ****ed around by this whole mess.

Really?

Because near enough every GB fan in here claims to have tickets for multiple nights and the few people i know who have tickets have them for multiple nights so don't try to claim most will have only bought one. Many who would have travelled to Dublin would have made a weekend of it (as so many of GB fans pointed out)

Dcc did not cancel 5 concerts, DCC gave licences for 3 concerts, Garth Brooks cancelled all concerts......NOT DCC!!!

secman wrote: »
    Ignorance is bliss..........

First I'm not ignorant or even close to it. I'm just willing to see ALL sides of this rather ignore the fact that the greed of only one party is at a fault.

Second the only ones in bliss here are those taking pleasure in the misfortune of 400,000 fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I'm actually sick of comments like this. We have large concerts here on an ongoing basis. I know there was no Slane or Oxegen this year, but Electric Picnic is going ahead and Marlay Park has gone ahead with several concerts. One Direction played a few dates in Croke Park at the end of May; the Aviva regularly holds stadium concerts during the summer. We hosted the Gira d'Italia. We host large sports events on a regular basis.

I'm not taking pleasure in the disappointment of 400,000 people. I'm absolutely relieved that the traffic chaos that the Monday/Tuesday concerts will not now happen. The fact that the Friday/Saturday/Sunday concerts were cancelled was a Garth Brooks decision, not a people of Ireland decision. For a man who professes to love his fans, that's a bit bloody rich for my liking. If you just wanted to hear him sing, take it up with him. The final decision was his and no one else's.

The fact that these concerts are not going ahead has nothing to do with Ireland's ability or otherwise to host large events. The place does it on a regular basis. The fact that these concerts are not going ahead will not taint the country's reputation in general although a few narrowminded Garth Brooks fans clearly hate the place now.

What this proves to me is not that Ireland is a nation of begrudgers, but that Ireland is finally becoming a country where the word regulation has some meaning, the rule of law has some importance and the days of doing business on a nod and a wink are over. I'm sorry that some fans got caught up in the sea change but it is a sea change that matters to this country. You can be sure that if Garth Brooks ever plays here again, the paperwork will be in 100% order.

This is a good thing.

In the meantime, it's a fundamental generalisation to assume that this all happened because Ireland is a bunch of begrudgers. It didn't. And the fact that you can think it does suggests that there's a far bigger picture you need to start looking for.

• Advertisement

They didn't cancel anything.

They refused to grant permission. Big difference.

Look to your favorite musician as to why you can't have a good time and enjoy listening to him for a few hours. An offer for 6 gigs was made.
    Brooks is a tool

Ok wrong choice of words apologies. I stand by my point though.

If this were all about Brooks greed he'd have agreed to play as many concerts as he could get.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Ok wrong choice of words apologies. I stand by my point though.

If this were all about Brooks greed he'd have agreed to play as many concerts as he could get.

He got three.

Why didn't he play them?

Dcc did not cancel 5 concerts, DCC gave licences for 3 concerts, Garth Brooks cancelled all concerts......NOT DCC!!!

I know, bad choice of words, apologies!

First I'm not ignorant or even close to it. I'm just willing to see ALL sides of this rather ignore the fact that the greed of only one party is at a fault.

Second the only ones in bliss here are those taking pleasure in the misfortune of 400,000 fans.

I feel sorry for the fans. The ones that bought one ticket.
    I fell nothing but contempt for anyone that bought more than one, either with the intention of going twice (demented) or for hawking them on (Part of the reason why the whole concert ticket process is fcuked in the first place)

But I can honestly say that this thread has been the most entertainment that Garth Brooks has ever brought me.
    The smell of FOMO and frustration of it, and the quality and variety of the trolls feeding of the bottled rage of the country'n'western fans of the nation has been like a Trolls day parade throughout.

The fact remains, anyone that remains a fan of anything more than his music from this point is in total denial about the man being a selfish, greedy, deceitful egomaniac. Good luck to them.

Calina wrote: »
    He got three.

Why didn't he play them?

I think I read somewhere it had to do with whatever way he'd planned to play and record the gigs. He said he needed five nights to do it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Saying that DCC should renage on a planning decision is displaying ignorance of the law. Your understanding of the word "ignorance "is probably lacking.

Really?

Because near enough every GB fan in here claims to have tickets for multiple nights and the few people i know who have tickets have them for multiple nights so don't try to claim most will have only bought one. Many who would have travelled to Dublin would have made a weekend of it (as so many of GB fans pointed out)

Far as I can see there is only 3 or 4 GB fans here and they are hardcore enough to be on here arguing so yes those 3 or 4 would have bought more than one.

Any casual fan and anyone I know with a ticket, bought one, so yes I will claim that most will have bought one.

In fact earlier in this thread many were saying people that bought tickets were bandwagon jumpers and what not. People don't shell out twice to get on the bandwagon.

I think I read somewhere it had to do with whatever way he'd planned to play and record the gigs. He said he needed five nights to do it right.

So all of the planning laws and the decisions made by the relevant authorities shouldn't have mattered to him because he needed to get his own way? Do you think he would be able to preach to authorities and make demands (5 or nothing) In other cities around the world?

Saying that DCC should renage on a planning decision is displaying ignorance of the law. Your understanding of the word "ignorance "is probably lacking.

The law needs to be amended to allow appeals.

hmmm.

anyone smell waffles ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭SteM

Red Nissan wrote: »
    That, you will, WILL see in time.

Jedi mind tricks!

SteM wrote: »
    Jedi mind tricks!
    I'll eat my Stetson on YouTube.
    This is the bit I'm looking forward to.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

But the extra nights were not originally promoted till the other nights gave an indication of demand. So the original concept for the shows should have been for fewer nights.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Our economy is €50,000,000 poorer and a lot of small businesses who will have spent a lot of money stocking up for this event will be out a large amount of money. Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

On a brighter note those of us who were being dragged to this muck now get to go to the All Ireland Hurling quarter finals instead :) Thanks Garth!! :)

cournioni wrote: »
    Our economy is €50,000,000 poorer and a lot of small businesses who will have spent a lot of money stocking up for this event will be out a large amount of money. Shame.

But our integrity is intact by the fact DCC did not bend to pressure and for me that is a price well worth paying. People now know that the gombeen politics of the past are finally behind us and there is a correct way to do business in Ireland.

cournioni wrote: »

NO ITS NOT.
    As has already been pointed out here on numerous occasions.

Due to the economic leakage that Brooks and his production represents, the denial of permission will actually result in a saving to the Irish economy.

If you want to make money for the economy, export Daniel O'Donnells talent (as he has for many years) or Foster and Allen, or Riverdance, but don't keep fooling yourself as to the drain that the import of an entertainment service represented to rural communities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

So all of the planning laws and the decisions made by the relevant authorities shouldn't have mattered to him because he needed to get his own way? Do you think he would be able to preach to authorities and make demands (5 or nothing) In other cities around the world?

He contracted with Aiken promotions for 5 concerts. He put together a show on a huge scale which could only be justified by spreading the cost over the five shows. Aiken dropped the ball by not having DCC onside from the beginning. They over reached and DCC only granted permission for three concerts. Brooks had a gun put to his head to accept three concerts or none at all. No one likes having a gun put to their head and having a contract broken on them. He doesn't need the money so he decided to stick to the contract he signed to do five concerts or none at all. It's none at all. The world won't stop turning. this is a storm in an Irish teacup. Concerts get cancelled all the time. The lesson to be learned is that the system needs to have some sort of pre-approval, subject to health and safety and other planning issues etc, put in place to that contracts can be entered into and tickets sold in confidence that the concert will go ahead.

I feel sorry for people who had made plans to travel to the concerts etc and for the hotels and restaurants who will have cancellations etc. There are no winners here but at the same time it's not the end of the world and there won't be any damage to Ireland Inc. In fact, next time a promoter makes a contract with a big act you can be 100% sure there'll be a "Brooks" clause in the contract stipulating that should the promoter not deliver the required permission for the concert(s) the artist will receive a large payoff for having his/her time wasted a la Garth Brooks.

Ben

I never said anything like that in fairness.

• Advertisement

You're quite right, I'm not all the clear on the law. I'm not a solicitor or barrister.

If you could perhaps explain where the difficulty is instead of getting smart with me I would appreciate it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement