Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭endacl

So, it's done and dusted? All settled?

Good stuff. OK folks. Palestine's in a jocker again. Maybe we could all get worked up over real world stuff now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

First Up wrote: »
    See #4965 and #4981

No need i already know your position, 5 or nothing = win win :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

bumper234 wrote: »
    So nothing again....good man keep saying the same thing but it's pretty obvious to all that the only way you would have been happy is if all 5 had gone ahead. You're very set on that for someone who isn't even a GB fan :rolleyes:

OK, if that was too hard to grasp, how about trying to understand what win-win means?

No need i already know your position, 5 or nothing = win win :rolleyes:

See #4986

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

See #4986

Sorry your link isn't working

• Advertisement

Caliden wrote: »
    Sorry your link isn't working

Along with a few synapses i fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

OK, if that was too hard to grasp, how about trying to understand what win-win means?

You seem to think that compensation in this respect represents some sort of win. It doesn't. It represents at best, a sweetened loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

No point sure the country will be bankrupt after Garth sues all of us, pretty sure thats what you told us will happen.

We won't be broke, just shy about €25M.

I think this whole affair proves that if you built it, they will come.

It sort of makes Lowery's Los Vegas Plan sensible, even though I too opposed it at the time.

A sin city, so to speak where we go to play, purpose built.

Calina wrote: »
    You seem to think that compensation in this respect represents some sort of win. It doesn't. It represents at best, a sweetened loss.

Key word here is "acceptable".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

This whole story is a fiasco. I just don't get it and I work in PR. Have politicians/civil servants in this country no real work to do?!!?

Look at the people wasting time on this;
    * Enda Kenny
    * Dublin City Manager Owen Keegan.
    * Oireachtas Communications Committee
    * Labour Relations Chief Kieran Mulvey
    * Junior Minister for Foreign Affairs Joe Costello
    * Environment Minister Alan Kelly
    * Joan Bruton
    * Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport Leo Varadkar
    * etc etc etc

If these populist buffoons spent more time negotiating the write-down of the 60+ billions private banking debt with the EU, we might have something worth talking about.

We get the politicians we deserve alright.

• Advertisement

Key word here is "acceptable".

Key word is "loss". Compensation is never a win, it does not matter how acceptable it is.

Along with a few synapses i fear.

There's a great phrase - "the genius of and, versus the tyranny of or".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Happyman42 wrote: »
    There is no mystery about it...they are people within the GAA (and Croke Park know all about them) who are severely worried about what corporate Croke Park are doing. They believe that corporate Croke Park are doing huge damage to the organisation and need to be taken down a peg.
    Feigning suprise that they took an opportunity to do this here is more face saving PR bull from Croke Park.

You've simply suggested this. You've no idea if that's the case or not so please don't put it forward as a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Stick to the subject. He made a decision for three concerts only. The rest was a scramble to repair the situation when it got hot.
    The sensible, reasonable thing would have been to anticipate this and get involved in brokering a proper deal. Not wait for an application they knew would be problematic.

I HAVE STUCK TO THE SUBJECT..... its all to do with a planning application and hung on a condition put in place by An Bord Pleanala !

Calina wrote: »
    Key word is "loss". Compensation is never a win, it does not matter how acceptable it is.

With respect - nonsense. The world operates on compromise. The alternative is chaos and confrontation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Keegan bad Garth Brooks good

Residents bad Garth Brooks good

Jackeens bad culchies good

Two legs bad four legs good

Repeat ad infinitum

Switch good and bad around depending on your point of view

With respect - nonsense. The world operates on compromise. The alternative is chaos and confrontation.

The compromise was 3 of the 5 concerts would go ahead, Why couldn't Brooks "compromise"?

Compromise includes not holding all five concerts. You don't accept this, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

There is no "nodding and winking" involved in getting people around a table and exploring possibilities before you get too deep into the mud.

That would be a pre planning application consultation, which of course Aiken chose to ignore, instead he gambled on selling 5 nights hinking that the pressure to not grant would be to much for DCC to handle, his gamble backfired......... not DCC's fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

And there was compromise offered- and rejected by Garth Brooks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Red Pepper wrote: »
    This whole story is a fiasco. I just don't get it and I work in PR. Have politicians/civil servants in this country no real work to do?!!?

There's nothing politicians like more than a non-story to distract everyone from the real business of the day.

Genealogy Forum Mod

The oireachtas committee is on RTE News Now.
    Channel 200 UPC-not sure of SKy. Think its on the web as well

• Registered Users Posts: 24,014 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Red Pepper wrote: »

Look at the people wasting time on this;
    * Enda Kenny
    * Dublin City Manager Owen Keegan.
    * Oireachtas Communications Committee
    * Labour Relations Chief Kieran Mulvey
    * Junior Minister for Foreign Affairs Joe Costello
    * Environment Minister Alan Kelly
    * Joan Bruton
    * Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport Leo Varadkar
    * etc etc etc

If these populist buffoons spent more time negotiating the write-down of the 60+ billions private banking debt with the EU, we might have something worth talking about.

We get the politicians we deserve alright.

As a PR person, you no doubt no that the above people have most of their time wasted by PR people and lobbyists on daft issues all of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

The compromise was 3 of the 5 concerts would go ahead, Why couldn't Brooks "compromise"?

Stop going on and on about the stallion..

The stable door needs mending and some of the farm hands need sacking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

nm wrote: »
    You've simply suggested this. You've no idea if that's the case or not so please don't put it forward as a fact.

I'm absolutely certain...sorry to spoil your conspiracy theory.

Stop going on and on about the stallion..

The stable door needs mending and some of the farm hands need sacking.

Start with shooting the horse, he was the one who caused all of the mess. Then the ranch manager (aiken) who mishandled everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Happyman42 wrote: »
    I'm absolutely certain...sorry to spoil your conspiracy theory.

You haven't spoilt anything, we'll need that backed up.

You should let the papers know too, seems you're the only one that's absolutely certain of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I really don't get how people are saying 400,000 people are affected and that the economy will be down 50 million euro and that 70,000 people won't be coming to Ireland now.

From just reading on this forum it's clear there are loads of people with tickets for multiple nights. It's the same on some other forums i visit. Ones not even in Ireland. A lot of people coming from the UK were going to 2 or 3 of the gigs. My facebook and twitter also supported this from people i actually know.

My cousin from Lexington in Kentucky had a message up about being disappointed they're canceled. But guess what, her and 11 of her church members are still coming to Ireland. And each of them had a ticket for the Friday and Sunday night.

Anyone that spent money on a ticket will now get back 80 euro or whatever they cost. They probably put a bit aside for the night too. So lets say 200 euro average for each Irish based ticket holder on a night. They will still spend that money in Ireland. Even if they booked a holiday to Spain they will probably have spent it in an Irish travel agent. Then spent money on clothes, sun block, etc.

A lot of the reported 70,000 were coming from the North of Ireland or the UK. Granted people from the north may not make the trek. But a large portion of anyone with a flight will still come. They had the flight booked, hotel booked, money saved and ticket paid for. Now they have a refund on the ticket and more money to spend. I guarantee you anyone coming from abroad had a trip planned beyond going to croke park. They would have been excited about a lot of other shít too.

So for anyone that still bandies the 50 million loss should shove it back up their holes because that's where it was originally plucked from.

11 (eleven) fraudulent applications received - all taken out before objections reviewed

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

AlanG wrote: »
    You do realise people can now spend their money on something else. Perhaps they can support some struggling local performers.

You can be sure the hotel occupation rate in Dublin will still be near 100% that weekend so people will still be around - they just wont be spending 3 or 4 times the usual amount for their hotel rooms.
    It is unfortunate that the promoters did not apply for planning when the started the process instead of leaving it to the last minute and causing some shops and traders to have inappropriate stock level of now useless product.
    Yes, if you read my corresponding posts you will see that I do realise that people can spend money on something else. In an ideal world, people would spend money on local performers, however the fact is, we do not live in an ideal world and that most likely will not happen for the majority of the people. It is also likely that 70,000 people coming in from abroad won't now spend their money here, who could blame them if they chose not to?

It remains to be seen if Dublin's hotel rooms will still be full for that weekend, if there are lots of cancellations, they may not have time to fill them between now and that weekend.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement