Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Red Nissan wrote: »
    But do elaborate, please, let me hear.

Was it the residence going to court to stop the concerts that got them cancelled, or was it the DCC?

It was neither - GB pulled the plug on the whole thing.

there was licence for 3 gigs - the 3 that he originally planned for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

You do know that the Gardaí are investigating possible criminal activity under the cover of residents activity.

Seemingly there were few or less objections and this is not a conflict with the GAA Vs residents. Never was.

I know about both points that you've raised but I'm saying that if there was no problems between the residents and Croke Park (insert Croke Park instead of wherever I have said the GAA if you like but they are all the one in that the GAA own Croke Park), the issue if planning wouldn't come into it as they would have ironed out the problems before anything was lodged with the DCC.

Such as 3 nights of concerts, a couple of nights off and then the remaining two and have held it all in mid June when the venue is free from GAA matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭That_Girl_ Is_ A_Cowboy

Won't Cancel mine just in case til next week I live in hope something can be salvaged from this debacle :)

Wishful thinking there.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

Right, except we have the Gardaí officially investigating wrong doings and the DCC trying to 'negotiate' so there is a question of breech of the law on their part, it was either legal or it was not.

Various wrongdoings do not negate the fact that agreements and regulations were in place. There was a problem with the three, folowing the 1D concerts, and legal proceedings were made after the licences were granted. I don't know all the ins and outs of it...offering four sounds dodgy and definitely would have been challenged. However politicians, business groups and others all trying to change due process is definitely wrong and stinks of the old Celtic Tiger malarkey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭mylefttesticle

Croke park pre-dates most of those surrounding houses and most people who live there now are not there from birth, they bought those houses, did they not notice the big f88king stadium there? did they not realise what a stadium of that size means? and means to living conditions for parts of the year? am I missing something here? I could have bought a house there in 2002 but I looked at that stadium and thought no fecking way!

Cant stand country music so really don't care either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Who will pay ticketmaster for the effort they put in to selling and refunding

Fúck them, sure didn't they get 6.35 x 400,000 at the outset.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

foggy_lad wrote: »
    What needs to happen now is a complete ban on the sale or pre-booking of tickets for concerts or events or festivals where full licenses and permissions required have not been granted.

People keep saying this but IMHO it's just not practical.

For a concert to be granted a licence full sets of plans have to be submitted, everything from stage and traffic plans to how many toilets and how many staff are expected right down to the tiniest detail. It's a massive undertaking that also involves getting the approval of the artist or the management on a 'maybe' arrangement. It involves huge amounts of money as well as logistics such as designing the set/lights/sound specific to a venue - and them you might or might not get a licence!!

Hypothetical Situation:

Elvis is found alive and is planning a worldwide tour.
    Peter Aiken rings up to ask him to come to Ireland.
    "Send us your stage, lighting and sound plans, size of crew, number of trucks, how long it's going to take you to set up/tear down and all other relevant plans and we might come back to you in 2 months if we're interested 'cos I'm not going to book you until I get a licence granted"
    Elvis thinks about it, rings back...
    "P*sh off, I'm going to Manchester 'cos they're not worried about any of that and will book me straight off with no fannying around for 2 months...See ya.."

Essentially it's the chicken and the egg situation. Aiken can take an educated guess at how many shows/tickets will be required but it's not until they go on sale that anyone can be sure. This can involve upscaling or downscaling a show depending on sales so the original plans can be thrown out the window in any case.
    Situations change, maybe no-one wants to see Elvis, maybe 400,000 do. In all honesty how many people could have foreseen GB selling as many tickets as he did??? I honestly believe that the first 3 shows were pre-planned but the last 2 weren't. Remember it took a few days to announce those and another couple of weeks before they went on sale. Usually a 2nd/3rd show etc. goes on sale instantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Was it the residence going to court to stop the concerts that got them cancelled, or was it the DCC?

It was neither - GB pulled the plug on the whole thing.

there was licence for 3 gigs - the 3 that he originally planned for.

For legal reasons one needs to name the particular residence organization or association.

It is not a fact that the 'residence' were going to court, it is not a fact that so many objected.

An injunction is sought from an individual who seemingly lives far away, and seemingly in an unrelated issue, 'residence' objection letters were not actually sent by them. Gardaí are investigating that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

We Irish love a wake, this is one.

All everyone seems to be doing is moping!

I (reluctantly) watched the RTÉ News today and it was all about Garth Brooks! From a painfully laggy Skype call to talking to the mayor of Dublin!

Then they spent abour 5 minutes regarding what's going on in Japan and Israel!

They're real problems and issues the world is facing.

Ireland lost some potential money, what else is new?

/Rant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

ThisRegard wrote: »
    No they haven't, that's not what a fiasco implies.

Oxford English Dictionary:
    A complete failure, especially a ludicrous or humiliating one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

mosi wrote: »
    business groups and others all trying to change due process is definitely wrong and stinks of the old Celtic Tiger malarkey.

Well worthy of bringing yourself upto date. It has repercussions for appeals against, say cycle lanes, bus lanes and a billion other planning decisions ~ brown envelopes or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Cienciano wrote: »
    What funding/tickets/offers do the locals get?

I was under the impression that there was a half a million Euro fund for local community projects, and a lottery type draw for concert and game tickets, for local residents in selected streets?

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    I was under the impression that there was a half a million Euro fund for local community projects, and a lottery type draw for concert and game tickets, for local residents in selected streets?

the lottery type draw you talk about is for the chance to win the opportunity to buy tickets at face value - they aren't giving them away for free. Given the number of houses in the area that qualify for the draw - 30,000 or so - you can see that only a small fraction of the people in the area will actually get tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,511 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I doubt we'll ever see another rock or music concert at Croke Park again after this fiasco.

It's unlikely Aiken will want anything to do with the place, and I can see other promoters giving it a wide berth.....too much hassle and too risky.

Christ, no wonder he pulled out of all five, after been told the following, just thee weeks before the concerts are due to take place:
    Kieran Mulvey, who was a mediator for negotiations between Croke Park residents and the GAA/Croke Park stadium, said Brooks was watching the live webstream of Dublin City Council’s meeting yesterday, where it was stated that there was no going back on the decision not to grant two shows a licence.

“We couldn’t even guarantee him (Garth Brooks) the three concerts because of the legal action seeking to overturn the council decision in court Thursday,” he said.

“Ireland was going to be a big feature in Garth Brooks World Tour, which he’s announcing on Thursday...We really wanted him to come for the three but we had to tell him about legal action being taken in the courts. He wanted to know when would he know the outcome of that? All we could say is ‘we don’t know’.”

Mr Mulvey said the head of Aiken Promotions, Peter Aiken, decided against travelling to the US in a last ditch effort to convince the singer to play the three dates after conversations over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

the lottery type draw you talk about is for the chance to win the opportunity to buy tickets at face value - they aren't giving them away for free. Given the number of houses in the area that qualify for the draw - 30,000 or so - you can see that only a small fraction of the people in the area will actually get tickets.

Ok, Thanks, bit of a difference then! What does the money go towards? Has it all been spent as a one off sum on various projects, or doled out over a number of years?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Strazdas wrote: »
    I doubt we'll ever see another rock or music concert at Croke Park again after this fiasco.

It's unlikely Aiken will want anything to do with the place, and I can see other promoters giving it a wide berth.....too much hassle and too risky.

I guarantee that the GAA will use their 3 allocated events in 2015. Money talks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

For legal reasons one needs to name the particular residence organization or association.

It is not a fact that the 'residence' were going to court, it is not a fact that so many objected.

An injunction is sought from an individual who seemingly lives far away, and seemingly in an unrelated issue, 'residence' objection letters were not actually sent by them. Gardaí are investigating that.

the residence stated back in February that they would take legal action. A certain number were objecting to it - there were meetings organised and the only residents that turned up were those opposed to the concerts - where were all the others that are now climbing out of the woodwork.

the injunction was sought by an individual who lives in the area.

Whatever Garda are investigate is irrelevant regarding the concerts being cancelled.

Christ, no wonder he pulled out of all five, after been told the following, just thee weeks before the concerts are due to take place:

One aspect I found very puzzling was that Dublin City Council's decision was final and could not be appealed in any way. That definitely seems odd, that they could come to a decision about refusing a licence and then could not be challenged on that decision.

• Advertisement

Umaro wrote: »
    I guarantee that the GAA will use their 3 allocated events in 2015. Money talks.

This year, 2005 and 2009 were the years that Croke Park has ever had three concerts. They had none last year and so what makes you so they will have three next year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

One aspect I found very puzzling was that Dublin City Council's decision was final and could not be appealed in any way. That definitely seems odd, that they could come to a decision about refusing a licence and then could not be challenged on that decision.

I was sure they could have done a Nice treaty job on it and just kept submitting an application until people got sick of being asked and voted yes.....

The residence objected to this issue about being unable to appeal weeks prior to any decision being made - I didn't see anybody supporting them and saying it was odd, only when the decision goes in the opposite direction do people then say it's odd, not fair etc.

This year, 2005 and 2009 were the years that Croke Park has ever had three concerts. They had none last year and so what makes you so they will have three next year?

Westlife and Red Hot Chili Peppers not count in 2012?

Pity then the promotors didn't apply for the licence earlier then.

DCC can't make a decision until Licence has been applied for, residence can't go to court until decision by DCC has been made - you see it's a cycled - blame the first part of it because the other 2 can't do anything until that done.

The residence objected to this issue about being unable to appeal weeks prior to any decision being made - I didn't see anybody supporting them and saying it was odd, only when the decision goes in the opposite direction do people then say it's odd, not fair etc.

It strikes me though as that it dawned on a lot of people very quickly after the decision was announced that major trouble lay ahead and the fiasco that unravelled today was now a possibility. Perhaps if there had been an appeal mechanism in place, intensive negotiations between all sides could have begun and a deal hammered out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭That_Girl_ Is_ A_Cowboy

Would he put ireland on his world tour now I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Gary Barlows getting the band together. U2 rumored to be on tour, I'm sure 1d wouldn't turn down a night. Hell born to run is 40. I'd say 2-3 bands will play next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Wonder would he have done the three concerts, for the fact that he asked when would they know the outcome of the legal action?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement