Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

muddypaws wrote: »
    Yes he has admitted that proposing a 4th concert was a mistake, so where is the arrogance? He and his mate next to him are quoting the law, and acting within it, most members of the committee on the other hand seem to feel the law can be worked around.

If Keegan ever stood for election, I'd vote for him. I dare say I wouldn't always agree with him, but he seems to me to be a man of integrity.

And a man placed in an impossible position by politicians...disgraceful.

What a dense idiot that TD is showing himself to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Matinee bull**** blown out of the water...Aiken proposed it not DCC

Even Brooks thought the matinee proposal was a 'half assed' idea when the RTE
    reporter asked him about it. Aiken not showing much concern for his client's
    welfare by suggesting such a crazy option.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

nm wrote: »
    And what? Stop taking in money from other things?

Where have I said that? If people can only make money by ignoring legislation then they should lobby for that legislation to be changed.

I just sick of this attitude: F*ck the regulations, Charge! Sure isn't it good for the economy? This is exactly the mentality that helped bankrupt the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭onlyme!

everybody's fallen asleep!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Sweet Jesus - do you have Garth Brooks CDs or downloads from iTunes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

That last guy was even worse than the guy before him, I didn't even catch what point he was making. What was that about itunes at the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Yes he has admitted that proposing a 4th concert was a mistake, so where is the arrogance? He and his mate next to him are quoting the law, and acting within it, most members of the committee on the other hand seem to feel the law can be worked around.

If Keegan ever stood for election, I'd vote for him. I dare say I wouldn't always agree with him, but he seems to me to be a man of integrity.

The committee are asking him why he and his team were unable to see what was coming down the road and why as a highly paid official he did not see himself having responsibility to take some steps to mitigate it. Sitting back quoting procedures is a total cop out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

One valuable lesson learned today - the quality of our city officials is way above the quality of our national representatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Phoebas wrote: »
    One valuable lesson learned today - the quality of our city officials is way above the quality of our national representatives.

That wouldn't be difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Flem31

Are you Garth Brooks fans ?.....do you have his DVD'd CD's.....on iTunes...............looking forward to the Banking Enquiry..........Do you have a bank account.....do you have direct debits.......very insightful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Now THAT is a classic - if the concerts had been proposed for Killarney, they would be welcome with open hands - for the brown envelopes presumably?

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    Helen McEntee on now - disappointed in Aiken and Gareth Brooks

She keeps referring to Aiken as Akon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

bumper234 wrote: »
    Oh sweet.......

You keep using the word compromise.

compromise was reached......Garth wanted 5, DCC offered 3.....That's the compromise........Garth didn't want 3 so he...he.....HE cancelled all 5. Why do Brooks fans think that the word compromise means that they get what they want no matter what?

Brooks didn't cancel anything. Aiken were unable to deliver the five concerts they contracted with him for and 3 nights aren't economically viable. End of story.

BTW, doing 3 nights twice is just twice as economically un-viable unless Brooks radically alters the production he puts on.

People who think 3 nights or two sets of 3 nights is a compromise are simply ignoring the commercial realities of the situation.

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

BenThere wrote: »
    Brooks didn't cancel anything. Aiken were unable to deliver the five concerts they contracted with him for and 3 nights aren't economically viable. End of story.

BTW, doing 3 nights twice is just twice as economically un-viable unless Brooks radically alters the production he puts on.

People who think 3 nights or two sets of 3 nights is a compromise are simply ignoring the commercial realities of the situation.

Ben

But riding roughshod over planning authorities and having hissy fits until you get your own way (as GB tried) is a good compromise? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Garth Brooks Kilarney 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Senior Gardaí made a point of saying 'there was no problem with logistics'..... DCC boys look 'scared'. No sympathy for them at all, my sympathies go to Garth Brooks, Aiken, Ticket Master and 400,000 ticket holders.

NORTH1 wrote: »
    The was 30 plus million taken in, the interest on this figure most be substantial. What happens to this figure?
    I imagine Aiken promotions keep it and use it to partially offset the costs they have incurred to date and their future legal costs when GB sues the ass of them for breach of contract :D

Ben

They haven't landed a punch at all in fairness...some bitter sniping about the GAA membership letter and Keoghan conflict of interest.
    Professionals versus amateurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Senior Gardaí made a point of saying 'there was no problem with logistics'..... DCC boys look 'scared'. No sympathy for them at all, my sympathies go to Garth Brooks, Aiken, Ticket Master and 400,000 ticket holders.

There was never 400,000 ticket holders there were 400,000 tickets :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

First Up wrote: »
    The committee are asking him why he and his team were unable to see what was coming down the road and why as a highly paid official he did not see himself having responsibility to take some steps to mitigate it. Sitting back quoting procedures is a total cop out.

Yeah... procedures are there to be ignored. If he'd ignored procedures and 3 concerts had been granted they'd be criticizing him right now for ignoring procedures and the residents would probably be suing him. A lose-lose situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Senior Gardai are not in charge of logistics.

The arrogance could more correctly be ascribed to Aiken who TOLD the DCC that
    there would be five concerts.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Who's this bumbling gobshite talking atm?

Absolutely!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Flem31

nm wrote: »
    Garth Brooks Kilarney 2015

Would Garth Brooks Bull Island 2015 not be more apt......and the residents there can't object

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Keegan: Sorry Garth, but we're not licencing the five concerts.
    Brooks: What?! The concerts are in three weeks!?

Keegan: That's as may be, but the residents down there have already had three concerts, five more would be an over intensification for them.
    Brooks: But you knew One Direction were to play their three concerts sincer before Christmas. We've been having meetings monthly since the tickets went on sale and you never suggested five was too much.

Keegan: We still had issues. We just spoke of them privately.
    Brooks: Well that's no good to us now ffs..

Keegan: I will let you play three concerts.
    Brooks: What about the 160,000 people that have tickets for the two concerts?

Keegan: Not our problem.
    Brooks: 430,000 people in Ireland are not your problem?

Keegan: No.
    Brooks: How about the 70,000 people coming to your country. Not your problem either?

Keegan: Nope.
    Brooks: Could you not have told us a little sooner?

Keegan: We made the decision at the earliest point we could.
    Brooks: Peter said you could have made it on May 22nd.

Keegan: Technically that's true, but we had to have further meetings.
    Brooks: Further meetings with who?

Keegan: The Gardai for one.. to discuss traffic arrangements, crowd control etc
    Brooks: You didn't know 400,000 people would be an over intensification before then?

Keegan: It's not that simple.
    Brooks: Well that meeting with the Gardai was on June 11th. Why not make your decision known on June 12th then, or at least shortly after? A few extra weeks would have helped me draw up new contracts with HBO, crew etc.

Keegan: Look, we made the decision as soon as possible.
    Brooks: You're asking me three weeks before the concerts are due to take place, will I agree to cancel two of them and let 160,000 fans down?

Keegan: Yes, yes I am..
    Brooks: Well, no.. no I won't.

Keegan: Will you do four? If you agree to four, we'll give you four. But only if you agree to do them mind. If not.. eh, you can't have them?
    Brooks: Have you fallen off your bicycle recently?

Keegan: What's your fcuking problem?
    Brooks: Do you have any idea how much planning my team has been putting into these concerts behind the scenes?? HBO wanted to show these five concerts on TV. We had a DVD planned. We hired a director who worked on a Superbowl. It was going to be huge. These were five one off concerts which were independent from the tour and now, just three weeks before that was all to take place, and with all the logistics that entails.. you ask me to cancel two of the nights and renege on 160,000 of my fans?? Not a snow's chance in hell. I play 5 in a row.. or I play nothing at all.

Keegan: It would be an over intensification, Garth. It's not fair on the residents.
    Brooks: But aren't the Gardai investigating those resident complaints?

Keegan: Yes.. but that's not our fault.
    Brooks: Did you not verify the complaints were legit?

Keegan: We sent them letters acknowledging receipt of their complaints.
    Brooks: Sending letters doesn't verify squat.

Keegan: Well, that's our system and it's worked for years and we don't need the likes of you..
    Brooks: Didn't that guy who brought the injunction to the courts get paid a stack of cash to do so?

Keegan: That is not the concern of the DCC.
    Brooks: But that injunction influenced your initial decision, did it not?

Keegan: Somewhat..
    Brooks: Well then it should be the 'concern' of DCC.

Keegan: Look, I've had enough of your insolence. Are you playing the five concerts or not? Three, I mean three.. you're confusing me with your wisecracks.
    Brooks: Not a chance. Five in a row or nothing at all.

Keegan: So you are going to let down 240,000 of your fans Mr.Brooks.
    Brooks: Not if you let me play the five nights in a row, I won't..

Keegan: I told you we can't. It's an over intensification for the people in and around Croke Park. An Bord Pleanala have stipulated that there should only be three concerts held there per year.
    Brooks: Then why are you willing to grant three?

Keegan: At our discretion.. we can grant as many as we like.
    Brooks: So you're choosing to just grant three.

Keegan: Yes, I could just about agree to allowing 80,000 people into that area, three days in a row. The residents have had enough concerts this year. Letting another 240,000 attend concerts there this year is something I could just about live with.. but not 400,000 more. Not a chance.
    Brooks: Well, the answer is still NO.

Keegan: Okay, how about matinees on the Saturday and Sunday.
    Brooks: What?!? You just said 80,000 people a day would be the most you would approve of being in or around Croke Park...

Keegan: What's your point, Mr.Brooks?
    Brooks: I would have thought it was obvious.. if we do the matinees like you suggest, that would mean there would be 160,000 people accessing the Croke Park area on Saturday and then another 160,000 people on the Sunday.

Keegan: That's one way of looking at it.. and it was Peter's suggestion by the way.
    Brooks: That's the only way of looking at it and Peter is close to bankruptcy over your ineptitude and so it's understandable that he is suggesting any possible solution he can but matinees wouldn't work. 160,000 people would be getting shafted, in the daylight, as they would be paying to see a show designed for the nightlight.

Keegan: Okay, last offer: We'll approve three concerts now and two concerts later on in the year.
    Brooks: After all this.. now you are saying that you will allow me to play five concerts in Croke Park this year?

Keegan: Yes
    Brooks:
    Keegan: Garth, are you there? Garth?
    Brooks:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Keegan: Sorry Garth, but we're not licencing the five concerts.
    Brooks: What?! The concerts are in three weeks!?

Keegan: That's as may be, but the residents down there have already had three concerts, five more would be an over intensification for them.
    Brooks: But you knew One Direction were to play their three concerts sincer before Christmas. We've been having meetings monthly since the tickets went on sale and you never suggested five was too much.

Keegan: We still had issues. We just spoke of them privately.
    Brooks: Well that's no good to us now ffs..

Keegan: I will let you play three concerts.
    Brooks: What about the 160,000 people that have tickets for the two concerts?

Keegan: Not our problem.
    Brooks: 430,000 people in Ireland are not your problem?

Keegan: No.
    Brooks: How about the 70,000 people coming to your country. Not your problem either?

Keegan: Nope.
    Brooks: Could you not have told us a little sooner?

Keegan: We made the decision at the earliest point we could.
    Brooks: Peter said you could have made it on May 22nd.

Keegan: Technically that's true, but we had to have further meetings.
    Brooks: Further meetings with who?

Keegan: The Gardai for one.. to discuss traffic arrangements, crowd control etc
    Brooks: You didn't know 400,000 people would be an over intensification before then?

Keegan: It's not that simple.
    Brooks: Well that meeting with the Gardai was on June 11th. Why not make your decision known on June 12th then, or at least shortly after? A few extra weeks would have helped me draw up new contracts with HBO, crew etc.

Keegan: Look, we made the decision as soon as possible.
    Brooks: You're asking me three weeks before the concerts are due to take place, will I agree to cancel two of them and let 160,000 fans down?

Keegan: Yes, yes I am..
    Brooks: Well, no.. no I won't.

Keegan: Will you do four? If you agree to four, we'll give you four. But only if you agree to do them mind. If not.. eh, you can't have them?
    Brooks: Have you fallen off your bicycle recently?

Keegan: What's your fcuking problem?
    Brooks: Do you have any idea how much planning my team has been putting into these concerts behind the scenes?? HBO wanted to show these five concerts on TV. We had a DVD planned. We hired a director who worked on a Superbowl. It was going to be huge. These were five one off concerts which were independent from the tour and now, just three weeks before that was all to take place, and with all the logistics that entails.. you ask me to cancel two of the nights and renege on 160,000 of my fans?? Not a snow's chance in hell. I play 5 in a row.. or I play nothing at all.

Keegan: It would be an over intensification, Garth. It's not fair on the residents.
    Brooks: But aren't the Gardai investigating those resident complaints?

Keegan: Yes.. but that's not our fault.
    Brooks: Did you not verify the complaints were legit?

Keegan: We sent them letters acknowledging receipt of their complaints.
    Brooks: Sending letters doesn't verify squat.

Keegan: Well, that's our system and it's worked for years and we don't need the likes of you..
    Brooks: Didn't that guy who brought the injunction to the courts get paid a stack of cash to do so?

Keegan: That is not the concern of the DCC.
    Brooks: But that injunction influenced your initial decision, did it not?

Keegan: Somewhat..
    Brooks: Well then it should be the 'concern' of DCC.

Keegan: Look, I've had enough of your insolence. Are you playing the five concerts or not? Three, I mean three.. you're confusing me with your wisecracks.
    Brooks: Not a chance. Five in a row or nothing at all.

Keegan: So you are going to let down 240,000 of your fans Mr.Brooks.
    Brooks: Not if you let me play the five nights in a row, I won't..

Keegan: I told you we can't. It's an over intensification for the people in and around Croke Park. An Bord Pleanala have stipulated that there should only be three concerts held there per year.
    Brooks: Then why are you willing to grant three?

Keegan: At our discretion.. we can grant as many as we like.
    Brooks: So you're choosing to just grant three.

Keegan: Yes, I could just about agree to allowing 80,000 people into that area, three days in a row. The residents have had enough concerts this year. Letting another 240,000 attend concerts there this year is something I could just about live with.. but not 400,000 more. Not a chance.
    Brooks: Well, the answer is still NO.

Keegan: Okay, how about matinees on the Saturday and Sunday.
    Brooks: What?!? You just said 80,000 people a day would be the most you would approve of being in or around Croke Park...

Keegan: What's your point, Mr.Brooks?
    Brooks: I would have thought it was obvious.. if we do the matinees like you suggest, that would mean there would be 160,000 people accessing the Croke Park area on Saturday and then another 160,000 people on the Sunday.

Keegan: That's one way of looking at it.. and it was Peter's suggestion by the way.
    Brooks: That's the only way of looking at it and Peter is close to bankruptcy over your ineptitude and so it's understandable that he is suggesting any possible solution he can but matinees wouldn't work. 160,000 people would be getting shafted, in the daylight, as they would be paying to see a show designed for the nightlight.

Keegan: Okay, last offer: We'll approve three concerts now and two concerts later on in the year.
    Brooks: After all this.. now you are saying that you will allow me to play five concerts in Croke Park this year?

Keegan: Yes
    Brooks:
    Keegan: Garth, are you there? Garth?
    Brooks:

What the???? I think you need to take a break!

bumper234 wrote: »
    But riding roughshod over planning authorities and having hissy fits until you get your own way (as GB tried) is a good compromise? :rolleyes:
    Why should Brooks care about our stupid and inadequate planning laws or seek a compromise which would be financially disadvantageous to him? He was contracted by Aiken for 5 nights. Aiken didn't deliver the required licences. End of story.

Ben

• Advertisement

No sympathy whatsoever for Aiken. This mess was mostly of his making.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement