Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Does anyone know if Peter Aiken is being called in front of the committee?

Can they even do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Keegan: Sorry Garth, but we're not licencing the five concerts.
    Brooks: What?! The concerts are in three weeks!?

Keegan: That's as may be, but the residents down there have already had three concerts, five more would be an over intensification for them.
    Brooks: But you knew One Direction were to play their three concerts sincer before Christmas. We've been having meetings monthly since the tickets went on sale and you never suggested five was too much.

Keegan: We still had issues. We just spoke of them privately.
    Brooks: Well that's no good to us now ffs..

Keegan: I will let you play three concerts.
    Brooks: What about the 160,000 people that have tickets for the two concerts?

Keegan: Not our problem.
    Brooks: 430,000 people in Ireland are not your problem?

Keegan: No.
    Brooks: How about the 70,000 people coming to your country. Not your problem either?

Keegan: Nope.
    Brooks: Could you not have told us a little sooner?

Keegan: We made the decision at the earliest point we could.
    Brooks: Peter said you could have made it on May 22nd.

Keegan: Technically that's true, but we had to have further meetings.
    Brooks: Further meetings with who?

Keegan: The Gardai for one.. to discuss traffic arrangements, crowd control etc
    Brooks: You didn't know 400,000 people would be an over intensification before then?

Keegan: It's not that simple.
    Brooks: Well that meeting with the Gardai was on June 11th. Why not make your decision known on June 12th then, or at least shortly after? A few extra weeks would have helped me draw up new contracts with HBO, crew etc.

Keegan: Look, we made the decision as soon as possible.
    Brooks: You're asking me three weeks before the concerts are due to take place, will I agree to cancel two of them and let 160,000 fans down?

Keegan: Yes, yes I am..
    Brooks: Well, no.. no I won't.

Keegan: Will you do four? If you agree to four, we'll give you four. But only if you agree to do them mind. If not.. eh, you can't have them?
    Brooks: Have you fallen off your bicycle recently?

Keegan: What's your fcuking problem?
    Brooks: Do you have any idea how much planning my team has been putting into these concerts behind the scenes?? HBO wanted to show these five concerts on TV. We had a DVD planned. We hired a director who worked on a Superbowl. It was going to be huge. These were five one off concerts which were independent from the tour and now, just three weeks before that was all to take place, and with all the logistics that entails.. you ask me to cancel two of the nights and renege on 160,000 of my fans?? Not a snow's chance in hell. I play 5 in a row.. or I play nothing at all.

Keegan: It would be an over intensification, Garth. It's not fair on the residents.
    Brooks: But aren't the Gardai investigating those resident complaints?

Keegan: Yes.. but that's not our fault.
    Brooks: Did you not verify the complaints were legit?

Keegan: We sent them letters acknowledging receipt of their complaints.
    Brooks: Sending letters doesn't verify squat.

Keegan: Well, that's our system and it's worked for years and we don't need the likes of you..
    Brooks: Didn't that guy who brought the injunction to the courts get paid a stack of cash to do so?

Keegan: That is not the concern of the DCC.
    Brooks: But that injunction influenced your initial decision, did it not?

Keegan: Somewhat..
    Brooks: Well then it should be the 'concern' of DCC.

Keegan: Look, I've had enough of your insolence. Are you playing the five concerts or not? Three, I mean three.. you're confusing me with your wisecracks.
    Brooks: Not a chance. Five in a row or nothing at all.

Keegan: So you are going to let down 240,000 of your fans Mr.Brooks.
    Brooks: Not if you let me play the five nights in a row, I won't..

Keegan: I told you we can't. It's an over intensification for the people in and around Croke Park. An Bord Pleanala have stipulated that there should only be three concerts held there per year.
    Brooks: Then why are you willing to grant three?

Keegan: At our discretion.. we can grant as many as we like.
    Brooks: So you're choosing to just grant three.

Keegan: Yes, I could just about agree to allowing 80,000 people into that area, three days in a row. The residents have had enough concerts this year. Letting another 240,000 attend concerts there this year is something I could just about live with.. but not 400,000 more. Not a chance.
    Brooks: Well, the answer is still NO.

Keegan: Okay, how about matinees on the Saturday and Sunday.
    Brooks: What?!? You just said 80,000 people a day would be the most you would approve of being in or around Croke Park...

Keegan: What's your point, Mr.Brooks?
    Brooks: I would have thought it was obvious.. if we do the matinees like you suggest, that would mean there would be 160,000 people accessing the Croke Park area on Saturday and then another 160,000 people on the Sunday.

Keegan: That's one way of looking at it.. and it was Peter's suggestion by the way.
    Brooks: That's the only way of looking at it and Peter is close to bankruptcy over your ineptitude and so it's understandable that he is suggesting any possible solution he can but matinees wouldn't work. 160,000 people would be getting shafted, in the daylight, as they would be paying to see a show designed for the nightlight.

Keegan: Okay, last offer: We'll approve three concerts now and two concerts later on in the year.
    Brooks: After all this.. now you are saying that you will allow me to play five concerts in Croke Park this year?

Keegan: Yes
    Brooks:
    Keegan: Garth, are you there? Garth?
    Brooks:

TL;DR

Maybe you would answer some questions from yesterday when you get a minute.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91275533&postcount=4579

Originally Posted by Wishiwasa Littlebitaller View Post
    Any chance you could quote where I said there was legislation for any of that? What a strange request.

Eh, newsflash for you happyman42: it is my opinion that the council should not drag their feet on making a decision which 400,000 people are due to attend, many of whom have booked hotels / flights etc. It is my opinion that the council should not be leaving it until three weeks before concerts are due to take place, to let 160,000 of it's ticket holders know that the particular concerts which their tickets are for, have been refused licences. I mean, you do understand that someone giving their opinion doesn't imply legislation, don't you. Perhaps not.

Do keep a grip here please.
    You insisted on damming DCC because they didn't do this, and when it was pointed out to you why it should never be a factor you kept wittering on about it.
    It's pretty much the same as saying...go ahead and build, they will automatically give yiou retention, you can't lose.

Now, when you are finished admonishing other people for the temerity to get things wrong (even when they accept that they are not expert in legislation) here and on other threads, could you address this question that you managed to bypass twice:

BTW, how could Keegan have reached a decision by 22nd May? Are you sure you are in possession of all the facts here?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...postcount=4542

You are entirely correct, Wishiwasa Littlebitaller is talking up a head of steam here without knowing what they are talking about.

Aiken was in mitigation after he submitted his application. 3 draft Event Management Plans where submitted;
    17th April,
    26th June
    29th June
    which had to be reviewed and assessed by the relevant people.

How DCC where expected to make a decision on 22nd May I have no idea, we'll let he/she who KNOWS how they should do their job, comment on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

BenThere wrote: »
    Brooks didn't cancel anything. Aiken were unable to deliver the five concerts they contracted with him for and 3 nights aren't economically viable. End of story.
    If that had been the simple story there would have been less backlash. But the story had the "sophies choice" bit about picking children to die, and something other cringeworthy bile about mothers on their death bed or something.

It was just about money, I would like to see the actual figures on doing 3-4 gigs, and at what point they become unviable. i.e. if he did 3 would he have only personally made a few million. At the start there were only 2 gigs anounced, what if these barely sold enough that a 3rd was not an option.

After hearing 5 announced he might have put more money into the staging, but still reckon changes could have been made to make it viable.

U2 staged the 360 tour for 3 date in croke park which was a massive staging event.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Valetta wrote: »
    Senior Gardai are not in charge of logistics.

Senior gardai did not seem to think there would be any problem with 80,000 people
    exiting Croke Park as another 80,000 were entering, as would have been the case if
    the crazy matinee suggestion were taken on board!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Peppa Pig wrote: »

Can they even do that?

He and the GAA are there tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Brooks built a show based on the economics of 5 shows. Giving him 3 weeks notice to then scale it back to a 3 show contract isn't viable.

What exactly do you think the show would have entailed that it would have taken 240,000 ticket sales to pay for. (That's about €12m) Seriously? Arcade Fire played in Dublin 3 weeks ago, 1 show for about 33,000. They had a stage show with giant macrame heads, different ones for different venues, ie U2 in Dublin, the Rolling Stones in London, etc. There were fireworks and giant confetti canons. Maybe not as big a stage show as Brooks was planning but I'm presuming that despite playing to an audience less than half the size of one of Brooks' aborted gigs, despite having 3 support acts, one of which was the (not cheap) Pixies, for an all day event and despite having a 10 member line up, they managed to make a decent profit from the gig. So there is no way on earth Brooks could possibly have failed to profit massively from playing 'just' 3 gigs to 'only' 240,000 ticket holders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

rubadub wrote: »
    If that had been the simple story there would have been less backlash. But the story had the "sophies choice" bit about picking children to die, and something other cringeworthy bile about mothers on their death bed or something.

It was just about money, I would like to see the actual figures on doing 3-4 gigs, and at what point they become unviable. i.e. if he did 3 would he have only personally made a few million. At the start there were only 2 gigs anounced, what if these barely sold enough that a 3rd was not an option.

After hearing 5 announced he might have put more money into the staging, but still reckon changes could have been made to make it viable.

U2 staged the 360 tour for 3 date in croke park which was a massive staging event.

Hey Rubadub,

I admit I'm making some assumptions ref the economics of it and I too would love to see the actual figures but that's never going to happen. I did however listen to someone (possibly Brooks himself or one of his people) explain how they were pushing the boat out to deliver a "massive" once off show in Croke Park and it wouldn't surprise me if the fixed cost of such a set up needed 5 shows to spread the cost over in order to be viable.

I do also think there are two other factors at play here however:-

1. Brooks is using the whole saga for some good PR to show what a caring good ole boy he is i.e. treating all people the same, can't choose which 160,000 people to disappoint etc. In the C&W music business he must be the #1 topic of discussion right now which is good for business and puts down a marker to any other promoters who think they can mess him around.

2. He doesn't need the money and doesn't like being walked over so he's taking a hard line with Aiken even though he's wrapping it in a nice soft wolly glove.

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Keegan: That's as may be, but the residents down there have already had three concerts, five more would be an over intensification for them.
    Brooks: But you knew One Direction were to play their three concerts sincer before Christmas. We've been having meetings monthly since the tickets went on sale and you never suggested five was too much.

Brooks: How about the 70,000 people coming to your country. Not your problem either?

Brooks: You didn't know 400,000 people would be an over intensification before then?

Brooks: Well that meeting with the Gardai was on June 11th. Why not make your decision known on June 12th then, or at least shortly after? A few extra weeks would have helped me draw up new contracts with HBO, crew etc.

Brooks: You're asking me three weeks before the concerts are due to take place, will I agree to cancel two of them and let 160,000 fans down?

Keegan: Will you do four? If you agree to four, we'll give you four. But only if you agree to do them mind. If not.. eh, you can't have them?

Brooks: Do you have any idea how much planning my team has been putting into these concerts behind the scenes?? HBO wanted to show these five concerts on TV. We had a DVD planned. We hired a director who worked on a Superbowl. It was going to be huge. These were five one off concerts which were independent from the tour and now, just three weeks before that was all to take place, and with all the logistics that entails.. you ask me to cancel two of the nights and renege on 160,000 of my fans?? Not a snow's chance in hell. I play 5 in a row.. or I play nothing at all.

Keegan: It would be an over intensification, Garth. It's not fair on the residents.

Keegan: Well, that's our system and it's worked for years and we don't need the likes of you..
    Brooks: Didn't that guy who brought the injunction to the courts get paid a stack of cash to do so?

Keegan: Look, I've had enough of your insolence. Are you playing the five concerts or not? Three, I mean three.. you're confusing me with your wisecracks.

Keegan: I told you we can't. It's an over intensification for the people in and around Croke Park. An Bord Pleanala have stipulated that there should only be three concerts held there per year.

Keegan: Yes, I could just about agree to allowing 80,000 people into that area, three days in a row. The residents have had enough concerts this year. Letting another 240,000 attend concerts there this year is something I could just about live with.. but not 400,000 more. Not a chance.

Brooks: What?!? You just said 80,000 people a day would be the most you would approve of being in or around Croke Park...

Brooks: I would have thought it was obvious.. if we do the matinees like you suggest, that would mean there would be 160,000 people accessing the Croke Park area on Saturday and then another 160,000 people on the Sunday.

Keegan: That's one way of looking at it.. and it was Peter's suggestion by the way.
    Brooks: That's the only way of looking at it and Peter is close to bankruptcy over your ineptitude and so it's understandable that he is suggesting any possible solution he can but matinees wouldn't work. 160,000 people would be getting shafted, in the daylight, as they would be paying to see a show designed for the nightlight.

Keegan: Okay, last offer: We'll approve three concerts now and two concerts later on in the year.
    Brooks: After all this.. now you are saying that you will allow me to play five concerts in Croke Park this year?

Brooks:
    Brooks:

You should get onto the fair city script writers, You have a great future in soap opera fiction writing.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Brooks:
    Brooks:
    That pretty much sums up how the DCC have acted in my opinion. Well done great post.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,403 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Ego too big to only play the 3 gigs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

rarnes1 wrote: »

Nah more like a greedy man who wanted to make a fortune rather then please his fans .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Seriously, you really think a Garth Brooks news conference is more about telling the contractual truth than a PR opportunity to show what a wholesome good ole boy Garth really is :rolleyes:
    I did however listen to someone (possibly Brooks himself or one of his people) explain how they were pushing the boat out to deliver a "massive" once off show in Croke Park

Maybe it was a PR exercise and not the contractual truth ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

iguana wrote: »
    What exactly do you think the show would have entailed that it would have taken 240,000 ticket sales to pay for. (That's about €12m) Seriously? Arcade Fire played in Dublin 3 weeks ago, 1 show for about 33,000. They had a stage show with giant macrame heads, different ones for different venues, ie U2 in Dublin, the Rolling Stones in London, etc. There were fireworks and giant confetti canons. Maybe not as big a stage show as Brooks was planning but I'm presuming that despite playing to an audience less than half the size of one of Brooks' aborted gigs, despite having 3 support acts, one of which was the (not cheap) Pixies, for an all day event and despite having a 10 member line up, they managed to make a decent profit from the gig. So there is no way on earth Brooks could possibly have failed to profit massively from playing 'just' 3 gigs to 'only' 240,000 ticket holders.

They were touring, GB would be setting sail with all the gear to Ireland alone.

Not saying the 3 wouldn't have been financially viable, personally I think they certainly would but that is the answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Reformed Character

cournioni wrote: »
    That pretty much sums up how the DCC have acted in my opinion. Well done great post.

Pity it is pure fiction and direct conflict with both the known facts and known procedures.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

That was certainly the tone of the Committee meeting this morning. Members asking why the hell did DCC not realise the enormity of the situation and do something about it when there was time, while the officials took refuge in following procedures.

By the end, Keegan was reduced to repeating the same line about standing over their balanced decision, taking all views into account. Pretty sad stuff.

Nah more like a greedy man who wanted to make a fortune rather then please his fans .

This has been explained time and time again had you been following things.

Pity it is pure fiction and direct conflict with both the known facts and known procedures.:confused:
    How did he come to a decision of three nights instead of zero, one, two, four or five? Where's that in his guide book? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

First Up wrote: »
    That was certainly the tone of the Committee meeting this morning. Members asking why the hell did DCC not realise the enormity of the situation and do something about it when there was time, while the officials took refuge in following procedures.

By the end, Keegan was reduced to repeating the same line about standing over their balanced decision, taking all views into account. Pretty sad stuff.

In other words...why didn't you ignore your responsibilities and the law and allow some people to make money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Proper order.

Not sad at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,403 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

There was a proposal to play 3 gigs and 2 at a later date. Why was that rejected?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

How has it been explained ?

He said 5 or none , that's a horrible attitude to take when he has 3 shows granted . Why not use next summers 3 licenses and have him do 3 gigs next summer . That's a total of 6 and no is disappointed .

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

when you think of american country music you immediately think texas maybe?

There was a proposal to play 3 gigs and 2 at a later date. Why was that rejected?
    How has it been explained ?

He said 5 or none , that's a horrible attitude to take when he has 3 shows granted . Why not use next summers 3 licenses and have him do 3 gigs next summer . That's a total of 6 and no is disappointed .
    The construction and dismantling of the enormous purpose built stage x2... as has been discussed both here and in the media.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Brooks:
    Brooks:

I think that is the most succinct run down of events I have read thus far, kudos

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Peppa Pig wrote: »

Can they even do that?

He was invited and he accepted the invitation and will be appearing tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 18,529 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Indeed, a lot of people here are clapping Keegan on the back for sticking to the letter of the law but it's still the case that how things have unfolded is an utter debacle. How someone can be praised for their role in contributing to a debacle is beyond me. There was fault on all sides but Keegan doesn't come out of it unscathed either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

miju wrote: »
    I think that is the most succinct run down of events I have read thus far, kudos

But mostly fiction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Because that's not what Garthy wanted and his ego wouldn't allow him to back down....for him it was 5 in a row or nothing. He thought DCC would blink but they called his bluff and now hundreds of thousands of his fans have been let down by him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement