Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,403 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

cournioni wrote: »
    The construction and dismantling of the enormous purpose built stage x2... as has been discussed both here and in the media.

Not a valid excuse if he postponed the gigs for a good period.

Certainly not a valid excuse if he just played 3 gigs

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    The bit in bold. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

First Up wrote: »
    That was certainly the tone of the Committee meeting this morning. Members asking why the hell did DCC not realise the enormity of the situation and do something about it when there was time, while the officials took refuge in following procedures.

By the end, Keegan was reduced to repeating the same line about standing over their balanced decision, taking all views into account. Pretty sad stuff.

Well done to Keegan for standing his ground. Some of those politicians were more
    than pathetic.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Not a valid excuse if he postponed the gigs for a good period.

Certainly not a valid excuse if he just played 3 gigs
    I'd imagine the stage was chosen with the five consecutive gigs in mind. If he played for three gigs, then they had to take it down for a period then you would both have to worry about storage costs and the cost of a second construction and dismantling of the stage.

Listen, I don't care about Brooks either way, I'm just pissed off at the economic aspect of this, and DCC's handling of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

All my Ex'es live in Texas....thats why I lay my hat in Tennessee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭Daith

I'd imagine the stage was chosen with the five consecutive gigs in mind. If he played for three gigs, then they had to take it down for a period then you would both have to worry about storage costs and the cost of a second construction and dismantling of the stage.

So why didn't they apply for the gigs individually? Why not one application for all five nights?
    Listen, I don't care about Brooks either way, I'm just pissed off at the economic aspect of this, and DCC's handling of it.

So again we should ignore our laws because of money? No wonder this country ended up in a mess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Now its all starting to come out in the wash
    Owen Keegan says he only found out that the head of planning has property at Croke park

Jim Keogan, Executive Manager of Planning and Economic Development also admitted that he owns a property “in the shadow” of Croke Park that his son currently lives in and he was acutely aware of the concerns of residents.

What was someone saying earlier about the age of favors in politics being finsihed LMFAO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Keegan has admitted that he shouldn't have offered the possibility of 4 nights, but there was a lot of pressure on him and DCC.

The 5 concerts in 3 days was offered by Aiken, going on something Brooks had said, DCC didn't say it could go ahead, they said they would consider it within the management plan already submitted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

How much of a problem would that have been for a man who said he, 'WOULD DO ANYTHANG, ANYTHANG AT ALL' to mend his broken heart and for the Irish people he loved dearly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

nm wrote: »
    Even Keegan and Keegans side accepting the economic benefit/loss to Dublin.

Has no one on the thread let them know that everyone is coming anyway, and the money will be spent anyway?

Dublin being the operative word.

The majority of the money was being funnelled from around the country into Dublin.

Simples

miju wrote: »
    Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,529 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Well done to Keegan for standing his ground. Some of those politicians were more
    than pathetic.

The five concerts being cancelled is still an absolute debacle (and everyone from the Taoiseach down has admitted it's a debacle) so I'm not sure I'd be praising Keegan for his role in something that has gone so monumentally pear shaped.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    How much of a problem would that have been for a man who said he, 'WOULD DO ANYTHANG, ANYTHANG AT ALL' to mend his broken heart and for the Irish people he loved dearly?
    I don't care.

muddypaws wrote: »
    Keegan has admitted that he shouldn't have offered the possibility of 4 nights, but there was a lot of pressure on him and DCC.

And of course none of The Disappointed will see that as something that should be avoided...'outside pressure on planning laws and decisions'.
    The 5 concerts in 3 days was offered by Aiken, going on something Brooks had said, DCC didn't say it could go ahead, they said they would consider it within the management plan already submitted.

Why waste your time repeating this...some people will not listen to what is being plainly said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

What was someone saying earlier about the age of favors in politics being finsihed LMFAO
    Interesting.

Maybe go back and read the thread? Peppapig was posting what was said in the meeting this morning, it was broadcast live, you could have watched it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Retrovertigo

If anything good can be said about the whole thing, it created the biggest comedy goldmine boards has seen in years.

God bless you Mr. Brooks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Strazdas wrote: »
    The five concerts being cancelled is still an absolute debacle (and everyone from the Taoiseach down has admitted it's a debacle) so I'm not sure I'd be praising Keegan for his role in something that has gone so monumentally pear shaped.

I'll repeat from earlier in the thread:

The five concerts were not cancelled, because they were never there in the first place.

I can't understand why people don't get that.

The whole country was acutely aware of residents concerns from the get go here...long long before Aiken made an application.

'I don't care' said Mr Brooks.

FYP...:D

• Advertisement

Valetta wrote: »
    But mostly fiction.

says you :P:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Interesting.
    It's also interesting that he was involved in the approval for the controversial U2 concerts during that time.
    And the residents in the house have never lodged an appeal against a concert in Croker.
    And he was involved in the approval to three of GB concerts, and entertained the concept of a 4th.

Really sounds like a guy who did all he could to prevent concerts.

The only interesting thing here are the same people with suspicious motives who are repeatedly attempting to hit out at DCC.

Valetta wrote: »
    I'll repeat from earlier in the thread:

The five concerts were not cancelled, because they were never there in the first place.

I can't understand why people don't get that.

That's semantics though, isn't it? 400,000 people purchased tickets for the concerts and made plans to travel to Dublin, booking accomodation and flights etc

You can certainly criticise Aiken's side for this but Keegan and DCC should have realised that a huge fiasco would unfold if even two of those concerts were not allowed proceed, and should have treated the matter with the utmost urgency : it was a quite unprecedented situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭Daith

That's semantics though, isn't it? 400,000 people purchased tickets for the concerts and made plans to travel to Dublin, booking accomodation and flights etc

You can certainly criticise Aiken's side for this but Keegan and DCC should have realised that a huge fiasco would unfold if even two of those concerts were not allowed proceed, and should have treated the matter with the utmost urgency : it was a quite unprecedented situation.

So why wait until so late to apply for the licenses from the promoters?

Alternatively....

Croke Park and the promoters should have realized that Croke Park already had three concerts in a row and applying for five more in a row was not guaranteed and a huge fiasco would have occurred if they didn't get the license.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

When I heard Aiken describe the manner in which the number of concerts snowballed,
    as in his ASKING the GAA for four, and then, five nights and then TELLING the DCC
    that there would be five concerts, I was absolutely gobsmacked!! He then proceeded
    to say that 'there was a conversation' with the DCC!!! I was wondering what that
    conversation might have been about. It now transpires that, informally, the DCC had
    informed him that five nights would be 'pushing it'. So, his statement that the DCC
    had given him 'no clue' that the concerts might not go ahead, was clearly false.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

It's far from semantics.

Keegan and DCC could not, should not and were not influenced by the ticket sales, and rightly so.

As someone said earlier, it would be like a builder building 30 houses, then looking for planning permission on the basis that he had sold them off plans; plans not submitted for approval.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    The whole country was acutely aware of residents concerns from the get go here...long long before Aiken made an application.

Google Ethics and Standards in Public Office and the especially term REGISTRABLE INTERESTS and then Google conflict of interests

So to correct you there is something very much wrong if the City Manager wasn't made aware of registrable interests. There's actually Irish law on this subject and that law has been dictated to Ireland by an EU Directive on same in relation to people in the employ of the Government and Public Service :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

I don't care.

And this is Brooks attitude to the planning laws. And his attitude to his fans by refusing to play here.

The fact he is so adamant to play all or none, makes me think he believes he must have Atkin contractually screwed.

The drivel about doing anything for his fans, the man is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

The construction and dismantling of the enormous purpose built stage x2... as has been discussed both here and in the media.

Well if he cared about his fans he would have put on the shows and would have happily lost out on a few quid from the multi millions he was making .

• Advertisement

Daith wrote: »
    So why wait until so late to apply for the licenses from the promoters?

Alternatively....

Croke Park and the promoters should have realized that Croke Park already had three concerts in a row and applying for five more in a row was not guaranteed and a huge fiasco would have occurred if they didn't get the license.

Noboody comes out of this affair looking well. There is certainly a lot of fault on Aiken and Brook's side, but it does seem like Keegan and DCC assumed most of the 160,000 people with tickets would shrug their shoulders when they heard that two gigs weren't going ahead and would be happy to get a refund of their money and all would be fine and dandy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement