Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Strazdas wrote: »
    That's semantics though, isn't it? 400,000 people purchased tickets for the concerts and made plans to travel to Dublin, booking accomodation and flights etc

You can certainly criticise Aiken's side for this but Keegan and DCC should have realised that a huge fiasco would unfold if even two of those concerts were not allowed proceed, and should have treated the matter with the utmost urgency : it was a quite unprecedented situation.

No no no no NOOOOOOOOO!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

miju wrote: »
    Google Ethics and Standards in Public Office and the especially term REGISTRABLE INTERESTS and then Google conflict of interests

So to correct you there is something very much wrong if the City Manager wasn't made aware of registrable interests. There's actually Irish law on this subject and that law has been dictated to Ireland by an EU Directive on same in relation to people in the employ of the Government and Public Service :D:D

Look up what you are quoting...the only 'Interest' he would have to register is if he was a member of a residents committee or if he had lodged an objection.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Yawn. It's a country and western gig that didnt get a licence. Move on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,529 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

bumper234 wrote: »
    No no no no NOOOOOOOOO!:mad:

Semantics again : 400,000 tickets were sold....it's not really pertinent to the discussion how many actual people purchased tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Valetta wrote: »
    Proper order.

Not sad at all.

Yes, while the bigger picture sailed serenely past.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

You can certainly criticise Aiken's side for this but Keegan and DCC should have realised that a huge fiasco would unfold if even two of those concerts were not allowed proceed, and should have treated the matter with the utmost urgency : it was a quite unprecedented situation.
    I'd agree with that - it begs the question as to why did Aiken sell 400,000 tickets for an unprecedented event without even informing DCC.

If it is the same politicians tomorrow as today I can see them giving him an easy time -almost all of them said that 5 should have been given and DCC were wrong to follow procedures.

It seems lost that DCC did not offer 4 or 5 with the matinees. They said they would look at them. Aiken proposed the matinees, DCC said come back with a plan, Brooks said feck off and Aiken told DCC it was a non runner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Flem31

Nobody has come out well out of this fiasco.
    The question from all of this is how elastic do we want our laws to be ?.
    If a decision doesn't suit our circumstances, will we accept it or get it changed. Maybe we need to have bespoke laws which will depend on the loudest voice or the biggest pocket. Time to decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭Daith

Noboody comes out of this affair looking well. There is certainly a lot of fault on Aiken and Brook's side, but it does seem like Keegan and DCC assumed most of the 160,000 people with tickets would shrug their shoulders when they heard that two gigs weren't going ahead and would be happy to get a refund of their money and all would be fine and dandy.

Alternatively....

Croke Park and Aiken assumed that the residents who lodged complaints would just shrug their shoulders when they heard all five gigs were going ahead and would be happy to get some donation and all would be fine and dandy?

Why didn't the promoters apply for one license that covered all five nights if it was five or nothing? Why individual licenses per event?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Look up what you are quoting...the only 'Interest' he would have to register is if he was a member of a residents committee or if he had lodged an objection.

Wow you read all guideline documents and all 97 pages of EU Legislation in a few minutes? Nice speed reading :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

And FWIW I dont need to look it up I've been reading / preaching these rules for over 8 years ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Heard a woman on the Radio saying she spent €500 on 4 tickets from Done Deal that she cant get back now.

My first thought was, You deserve not to get it back for being stupid

What stupid fecker forks out €500 for tickets to a concert that didnt even have a licence to go ahead yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭dandyo

Is Main Street still all cracked and broken?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Heard a woman on the Radio saying she spent €500 on 4 tickets from Done Deal that she cant get back now.

What stupid fecker forks out €500 for tickets to a concert that didnt even have a licence to go ahead yet?

To be fair, most, if not all tickets are sold subject to licence.

Maybe when this is looked into, as well as the situation with selling tickets before a licence is issued, they could also look into the ticket tout laws and see if they can be amended in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭Daith

That's the biggest point here. Our licencing laws need to be updated. Our planning laws actually worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

miju wrote: »
    Wow you read all guideline documents and all 97 pages of EU Legislation in a few minutes? Nice speed reading :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

And FWIW I dont need to look it up I've been reading / preaching these rules for over 8 years ;)

I know the legislation.
    I also know that planners make decisions affecting areas that they live in all over the country (they don't live on the moon)

You are engaging in scurrilous attempts to defame.

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    I'd agree with that - it begs the question as to why did Aiken sell 400,000 tickets for an unprecedented event without even informing DCC.

If it is the same politicians tomorrow as today I can see them giving him an easy time -almost all of them said that 5 should have been given and DCC were wrong to follow procedures.

It seems lost that DCC did not offer 4 or 5 with the matinees. They said they would look at them. Aiken proposed the matinees, DCC said come back with a plan, Brooks said feck off and Aiken told DCC it was a non runner

That's not what I heard them say. I heard them ask (repeatedly) why did DCC do nothing during the vital pre-consultation period to get everyone around a table and see what could be sorted. The answer (repeatedly) was "we were following procedures". It seems that precludes Keegan or anyone at DCC actually taking an initiative.

Where I think Keegan went wrong is in not realising that the cancellation of even two gigs would be seen as an almighty cock up and a public relations disaster for DCC and for Dublin itself. He should have treated the matter with extreme urgency, warned Aiken that there was a potentially a huge problem with the gigs and rush released their decision many weeks before the concerts to soften the blow and to allow the dust to settle.

Brooks himself says he wasn't aware of there being any problem in the slightest with the concerts until DCC's announcement so it seems everyone was taken by surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

First Up wrote: »
    Yes, while the bigger picture sailed serenely past.

The bigger picture is simple.

There is a framework and a set of laws in place.

As you allow exceptions for "exceptional circumstances", the definition of exception and the definition of exceptional circumstances moves until the framework and the laws in place become meaningless.

This is the bigger picture sailing past you. Our constant ability to be "flexible" with rules and regulations has led to things like Priory Hall and the financial and economic meltdown.

We need to stop. The greater good is not a guestimated 50 million and 400,000 tickets. The greater good is a recognition that a) we need to enforce the rules we have and b) we need to stop looking on them as something to be gotten around when it suits us.

This is the bigger picture. It is the future of this country and this city and not a tawdry 50million that you want everyone to sell your souls for.

In my view, Croke Park should be held to its three concerts a year from here on out and no additional concerts. And if it turns out to be One Direction three nights a year, or Slayer, I really don't care. What matters is that you and your mates stop thinking that five concerts is nothing and that the money matters more than the law, and that people living in the area around - and these concerts cause serious traffic problems up to 10 km from Croke Park - can rely on the legislation to be enforced.

The person who can't see the bigger picture is you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Where I think Keegan went wrong is in not realising that the cancellation of even two gigs would be seen as an almighty cock up and a public relations disaster for DCC and for Dublin itself. He should have treated the matter with extreme urgency, warned Aiken that there was a potentially a huge problem with the gigs and rush released their decision many weeks before the concerts to soften the blow and to allow the dust to settle.

Brooks himself says he wasn't aware of there being any problem in the slightest with the concerts until DCC's announcement so it seems everyone was taken by surprise.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

There were NO gigs until the license application went in.

This is the critical point that people either don't get, or are deliberately ignoring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Maybe it was a PR exercise and not the contractual truth ;)

Touche, my has its of to you dearest Peppa.

Ben

My issue is people buying tickets via DoneDeal, Ebay and related sites. No disrespect to the sites but ticket touting would disappear if the demand dried up.

I presume Brooks was going on what Aiken was telling him so I don't blame him for being surprised and piss#d off. The bald fact is that the people who KNEW the licence wouldn't be issued were DCC, and only DCC. Pretending the decision hadn't been taken is garbage - at a minimum they knew it was at grievous risk and the main - in fact only - reason quoted by Keegan was the resident objections. That very clearly pointed the way and if he was serious about promoting tourism, economic benefits etc he would have acted on that. Yet he let the ship drift on to the rocks with hands in pockets.
    Wanker.

Daith wrote: »
    That's the biggest point here. Our licencing laws need to be updated. Our planning laws actually worked.

AIUI, it's not that they need to be updated, more that they need to be enforced. I thought you were supposed to have at least applied for the licence before you started selling tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Everyone that buys tickets for an event in Ireland is buying tickets to a concert that didnt even have a licence to go ahead yet

First Up wrote: »
    That's not what I heard them say. I heard them ask (repeatedly) why did DCC do nothing during the vital pre-consultation period to get everyone around a table and see what could be sorted. The answer (repeatedly) was "we were following procedures". It seems that precludes Keegan or anyone at DCC actually taking an initiative.

It does seem like he retreated into a bureaucrat's mindset. As long as he followed everything to the letter of the law and followed due procedure, his ass would be covered and there would be no repercussions for him or DCC. But these were extraordinary circumstances and we've never seen two 80,000 seater concerts refused permission at the last moment like this before : he does appear to have been very complacent and not realised the enormity of where this could potentially go.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,573 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

We've no idea whether the promoter was warned or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭ooter

But would that have changed anything?
    2 gigs would still have been cancelled and brooks was still going to have to choose between his children.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Valetta wrote: »
    Wrong, wrong, wrong.

There were NO gigs until the license application went in.

This is the critical point that people either don't get, or are deliberately ignoring.

Week said Valletta, there were "proposed" gigs subject to licence. The licence required to fulfill the contract didn't land so the proposed gigs didn't happen.

We need a planning pre approval process which will bring s lot more certainty to the industry ie a fast track process which, subject to environmental, health and safety plan etc being adhered to, means the licence WILL be issued ie unless the promoters really fcuk up we can have confidence that the gigs will go ahead.

Ben

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement