Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

bumper234 wrote: »
    Residents would disagree
    Even the fake ones? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

cournioni wrote: »
    Even the fake ones? ;)

I've yet to see evidence of those but anywho....there are plenty of legitimate ones who are happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Reformed Character

Yup, but the thread is still open and we're still discussing how the DCC have fcuked up.

How did the DCC fcuk up?
    By following the law:confused:

I've yet to see evidence of those but anywho....there are plenty of legitimate ones who are happy.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/75/Doriscole.jpg/200px-Doriscole.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭bobrawn20

ardle1 wrote: »
    Nothing good will come of this!:cool:

Garth Brooks not playing in Ireland is plenty good if you ask me :D

How did the DCC fcuk up?
    By following the law:confused:
    By using their "discretion" and taking into account "objections". Lets not forget offering an extra date by reviewing their "discretion".

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

Yes they did. Also, when you're using a poker reference as a metaphor, there needs to be a winner and unfortunately nobody has won this one. :pac:

If going forward people can see that they either have obey the rules and lobby to have them changed if they disagree with them then this is a good thing.

We can have proper enforcement and proper debate instead of stupid excuses and arguments after the fact... 'I'm too big to fail', 'I'm wearing a green jersey', 'This for the good of the country...I mean economy', 'I'm protecting my family'. Not to mention Politicians who haven't the balls or inclination to change the rules shifting the responsibility for government on to officials who are simply enacting legislation created by politicians. Of course as I've said it suits politicians to be seen as the go to guys to circumvent their own legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,339 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Don't recognise - please explain how this illustrates your belief that DCC are not doing there job?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Flem31

Maybe the GAA should organise a minute's silence before next Sunday's Leinster Final in memory of the GB5.......and the players could hold pictures of Saint Garth during the national anthem......we could even open up a planning tribunal but lets hope it doesn't cost 50 million or else it would cost more than the money we didn't get.......so many tough choices......................or we could just move on !!!!!!

• Advertisement

Don't recognise - please explain how this illustrates your belief that DCC are not doing there job?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norris_Cole

It doesn't, I am making reference to the "winners" of this saga.

By using their "discretion" and taking into account "objections". Lets not forget offering an extra date by reviewing their "discretion".

So objections shouldn't be taken into account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

The gigs are BACK ON!

Heard it in the last few minutes from someone close to the main movers.

The gigs are BACK ON!

Eddie Stobart?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Announcement shortly......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

The gigs are BACK ON!

Back off again yet?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norris_Cole

It doesn't, I am making reference to the "winners" of this saga.

Corrie, I think? Doesn't really explain that either to be fair.

I assume you accept the other points about the legitimate objections being enough for DCC to make a decision on, so?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Joe Duffy..

For sale 400,000 pink cowboy hats. Pm for details please.

Announcement shortly......

Which hotel do you work for?

If going forward people can see that they either have obey the rules and lobby to have them changed if they disagree with them then this is a good thing.

We can have proper enforcement and proper debate instead of stupid excuses and arguments after the fact... 'I'm too big to fail', 'I'm wearing a green jersey', 'This for the good of the country...I mean economy', 'I'm protecting my family'. Not to mention Politicians who haven't the balls or inclination to change the rules shifting the responsibility for government on to officials who are simply enacting legislation created by politicians. Of course as I've said it suits politicians to be seen as the go to guys to circumvent their own legislation.
    I'm all for people obeying rules, but what rules were in place other than Keegan and the DCC's discretion? They took into account that objections were filed in their decision, but how many of them were forged? They took access restrictions, traffic disruption, illegal parking and potential antisocial behaviour into account despite Gardai statements to suggest that this would not be an issue.

This cannot just be ignored. Especially when the majority of residents were in favour of the event taking place - whose views were not taken into account when the decision had been made.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Confirmed - the concerts are definitely back on!

There's a few minor tweaks to the times and location, but this is brilliant news for all Garth Brooks fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

There's a few minor tweaks to the times and location, but this is brilliant news for all Garth Brooks fans.

Going by the picture above that article, I'd say Garth is the worlds No.1 Blur fan.

I'm all for people obeying rules, but what rules were in place other than Keegan and the DCC's discretion? They took into account that objections were filed in their decision, but how many of them were forged? They took access restrictions, traffic disruption, illegal parking and potential antisocial behaviour into account despite Gardai statements to suggest that this would not be an issue.

This cannot just be ignored. Especially when the majority of residents were in favour of the event taking place - whose views were not taken into account when the decision had been made.

The reasons given were that it would cause "unacceptable disruption". This includes noise, building work and large crowds. It's not just the Gardai that have to deal with it.

So objections shouldn't be taken into account?
    Either you don't understand my the use of inverted commas or you ignored them. I am of course referring to the alleged 40% forged objections.

Of course real objections have to be taken into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Daith wrote: »
    Still less of an embarrassment than wanting to go to a Garth Brooks concert.

Letting the mask slip a bit there.

Underneath it all, most of you don't care about planning laws or council protocols. You just have massive chips on your shoulders about the type of music and the sort of people that happen to like said music.

Bitterness in the extreme :)

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mr.McLovin

It emerged that Mr Keogan, who was directly involved in the decision not to award the five concerts, has family and property interests in the Croke Park area. Mr Keogan owns a property in Clonliffe gardens which is occupied by his son and daughter-in-law.

conflict of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Klim

Second comment in from 'Karen':

this bloke don't have a clue whats going on he messed up Dublin stick your gigs where the sun don't shine for me . I for sure will not be getting tickets for any gig after Dublin garth crooks should be his new name

You see? All this has caused Karen to decide not to buy tickets for his Chicago gig after the Dublin farce.

And some said there wouldn't be far reaching consequences.

The reasons given were that it would cause "unacceptable disruption". This includes noise, building work and large crowds. It's not just the Gardai that have to deal with it.
    As is the case with all events. So how were they able to offer a fourth date? Keegan himself admits that offering a fourth date was a mistake, I wonder why? The whole process is too ambiguous and open to discretion to the DCC.

Letting the mask slip a bit there.

Underneath it all, most of you don't care about planning laws or council protocols. You just have massive chips on your shoulders about the type of music and the sort of people that happen to like said music.

Bitterness in the extreme :)

Fair point, but could be said of both sides?

I mean, if you didn't have a ticket and are labeling people as haters, posting persistent ad hominem attacks and labeling the DCC as corrupt simply because you don't like the decision, it's hardly caring about laws and protocols either, is it?

• Advertisement

As is the case with all events. So how were they able to offer a fourth date? Keegan himself admits that offering a fourth date was a mistake, I wonder why? The whole process is too ambiguous and open to discretion to the DCC.

As far as I know - and I'm open to correction here (but will want links and NOT to popular entertainment characters) - the 4th and 5th concerts were announced before any consultation had happened between Aiken and DCC.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement