Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,511 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Pity then the promotors didn't apply for the licence earlier then.

DCC can't make a decision until Licence has been applied for, residence can't go to court until decision by DCC has been made - you see it's a cycled - blame the first part of it because the other 2 can't do anything until that done.

Apparently though there is no onus on DCC to come to a speedy decision. They could even leave it until 48 hours before the gig to announce the licence was being declined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Westlife and Red Hot Chili Peppers not count in 2012?

Oh that's right, Westlife the fcukers played two nights.

Still find it bizarre that anyone could guarantee there would be three next year when it's far from the norm.

2009 had four concerts actually.

I think there should be a limit of three on weeknights and another three if they are on Fri and Sat nights.

The current agreement is much too limiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    I was under the impression that there was a half a million Euro fund for local community projects, and a lottery type draw for concert and game tickets, for local residents in selected streets?

There was talks of 500k as PART of an agreement... which the residents rejected. i.e. we'll give ye 500k for something which is way worse than the last agreement (because we're the GAA sugar daddy with the money and we know ye can be bought like cheap whures).
    This was a win win proposal ...
    if the residents accept then fine so be it
    If the residents reject it then people start banging on about how the residents are denying the local community of 500k (and that has been the line thrown out ever since).

Simple Fact: The residents wanted to keep to the previous agreement that was made. Same as folk hanging onto a tracker mortgage, it's an agreement... end of.
    .. Aiken/GAA rode roughshod over the agreement by announcing more dates without ANY consultation.

Which they also did in 2009 (Although I think it was MCD and the GAA then) for the U2 360 tour when a 3rd date was thrown in the mix for the 27th July... The residents had agreed with 2 dates but because of the 3rd date what ended up happening (without the residents being informed beforehand BTW) was that the dismantling crew worked all through the night dismantling the stage.. as opposed to the daytime which is what was originally agreed.

A lottery type draw for concert game tickets:
    That's a real deal maker there... Local residents who object to too many concerts get to have their names entered into a lottery where they might win the opportunity to purchase a ticket for the very concerts they are objecting too!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Wow what an omnishambles. I feel sorry for those let down, especially those who camped out all night in very cold conditions to get tickets. Also there is bound to be fall out from people who bought from touts and wo to be getting a refund. I'd imagine a lot of hotels may not refund for 'special event' dates and a lot of people are goimg to be out of pocket there too, even more so as hotels were doubling and tripling their prices. They might as well come to Dublin and use the room rather than waste it.

Anyway at the end of the day DCC were right to stick to their guns. The right decision was made here and it's an important lesson for the GAA and Aiken not to go riding roughshot over residents concerns at increasing concerts from 3 to 8 in a single year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Wonder would he have done the three concerts, for the fact that he asked when would they know the outcome of the legal action?

Oh I'd say so for sure, but I would say asking him to guarantee he would do four and then coming back with an offer for just three, would have wound him up, as it makes no sense whatsoever to ask him for such a condition before they put it to the planners.

In any case, if they were willing to put four to the planners, why not five. They knew he wanted to do them all, so it's a rather odd thing to ask of him and why would four concerts be okay and five not. All most odd and I think he must have just be perplexed by the whole thing.

The fact that he watched the meeting via webcam shows how much he was invested in coming but telling him that there was an injunction in the courts, three weeks before the shows trying to stop them, would for sure have been a factor in his decision. How could they go forward and spend millions coming over, only for there to be a possibility of arriving here to be told actually all gigs are now off.

it's an embarrassment from start to finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Armelodie wrote: »
    There was talks of 500k as PART of an agreement... which the residents rejected. i.e. we'll give ye 500k for something which is way worse than the last agreement (because we're the GAA sugar daddy with the money and we know ye can be bought like cheap whures).
    This was a win win proposal ...
    if the residents accept then fine so be it
    If the residents reject it then people start banging on about how the residents are denying the local community of 500k (and that has been the line thrown out ever since).

Simple Fact: The residents wanted to keep to the previous agreement that was made. Same as folk hanging onto a tracker mortgage, it's an agreement... end of.
    .. Aiken/GAA rode roughshod over the agreement by announcing more dates without ANY consultation.

Which they also did in 2009 (Although I think it was MCD and the GAA then) for the U2 360 tour when a 3rd date was thrown in the mix for the 27th July... The residents had agreed with 2 dates but because of the 3rd date what ended up happening (without the residents being informed beforehand BTW) was that the dismantling crew worked all through the night dismantling the stage.. as opposed to the daytime which is what was originally agreed.

A lottery type draw for concert game tickets:
    That's a real deal maker there... Local residents who object to too many concerts get to have their names entered into a lottery where they might win the opportunity to purchase a ticket for the very concerts they are objecting too!

You are assuming that every one of the 30,000 eligible to apply to the draw would be objecting to the concert taking place? a bit unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭That_Girl_ Is_ A_Cowboy

DCC appeal to Aiken / Brooks to reconsider cancellation:

I love this so much. The Dcc crawling to Mr Brooks to play the 3 and Brooks giving them the two fingers. Brillant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭That_Girl_ Is_ A_Cowboy

Oh I'd say so for sure, but I would say asking him to guarantee he would do four and then coming back with an offer for just three, would have wound him up, as it makes no sense whatsoever to ask him for such a condition before they put it to the planners.

In any case, if they were willing to put four to the planners, why not five. They knew he wanted to do them all, so it's a rather odd thing to ask of him and why would four concerts be okay and five not. All most odd and I think he must have just be perplexed by the whole thing.

The fact that he watched the meeting via webcam shows how much he was invested in coming but telling him that there was an injunction in the courts, three weeks before the shows trying to stop them, would for sure have been a factor in his decision. How could they go forward and spend millions coming over, only for there to be a possibility of arriving here to be told actually all gigs are now off.

it's an embarrassment from start to finish.

I doubt that injunction would have held up though.

How much does an injunction cost I wonder?
    Would your man, Duff I think, who went for it have to pay for it up front yesterday when applying for an injunction?
    I read that it was due before the courts on Thursday. Would your man still need to go to court now that the concerts have been called off.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Jeeeeeeez.......

This Garth feckin' Brooks vs DCC nonsense. It's like Freddie vs Jason, or the Iran Iraq war. Went on far to long, nobody won, and impossible to tell who the 'goodie' is.

Q: Who died?
    A: Nobody.

Life's to short...

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I doubt that injunction would have held up though.

How much does an injunction cost I wonder?
    Would your man, Duff I think, who went for it have to pay for it up front yesterday when applying for an injunction?
    I read that it was due before the courts on Thursday. Would your man still need to go to court now that the concerts have been called off.

I hope he's left with a big, hefty bill anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Think this whole fiasco has summed up the "not in my back yard" culture in Ireland perfectly tbh. Joke that it was left to this but the country didnt get in the mess its been in by being run well and the money it would have been made has now been blown. Times like these im glad i live in a city and country that's well run, you wouldnt dream of ridiculous ****e like this happening here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

spiralism wrote: »
    Think this whole fiasco has summed up the "not in my back yard" culture in Ireland perfectly tbh.

It also highlights than many people in this country are happy for cronyism, corruption and bypassing of rules and regulations to happen if it benefits them. Which makes this part of your post deliciously ironic:
    spiralism wrote: »
    Joke that it was left to this but the country didnt get in the mess its been in by being run well

:D

You can be damn sure plenty of planning regulations exist in the Netherlands too.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

All everyone seems to be doing is moping....

Ireland lost some potential money, what else is new?

/Rant.

Ireland saved some potential money that Brookes would have headed off with.

Tarzana wrote: »
    It also highlights than many people in this country are happy for cronyism, corruption and bypassing of rules and regulations to happen if it benefits them.

And why wouldn't they? I'd have supported any thing at all no matter how illegal that got these concerts licensed. At the end of the day all I care about is what I and those close to me want. Fook the rest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

And why wouldn't they? I'd have supported any thing at all no matter how illegal that got these concerts licensed. At the end of the day all I care about is what I and those close to me want. Fook the rest!

:pac:

Oh me oh my.

Well, at least you can admit you're pathologically selfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Gergiev

Anything less than publication of the contract can be taken with a bag full of salt.
    Aiken is in the business decades, he'd have had insurance or else is very silly. I've insurance for my phone, never mind a multi-million dollar deal.

Actually, you can't get insurance for this type of event until the license is granted, so the 4th and 5th wouldn't be insured.

And it's very doubtful the first 3 would be insured either as Brooks' statement, almost immediately after the granting of the licenses, would have put the proverbial jitters into any likely under-writer...

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Gergiev

Mahou wrote: »
    Enda Kenny said

“This has an implication of a quarter of a billion for this city in terms of the economy, the excitement and all of that.”

Having a financially illiterate Taoiseach is an embarrassment not that some concerts got cancelled.

That's what 2 full days of ear-bashing from Joan can do to a man...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Wait... seriously... Garth Brooks is popular in Ireland?

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/014/285/not.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Overheal wrote: »
    You really do have quite an imagination if you think RTE gets broadcast outside of Ireland. Or that people outside of Ireland give a **** about it.

Do they still play those stupid bells every evening?

Pure nonsense!
    and total entertainment knowledge fail :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭mylefttesticle

I hope he is cleaned out so much he is left begging on the street and no one gives him even the steam of their piss.

What is wrong with you? everyone has the right to speak up about what they feel is not right, they should not be left to become degenerate because of that.

Your priorities are messed up if you think a fellow human being should end up like you stated over a basic human right.

Your post is quite shameful and you should remove it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Would he put ireland on his world tour now I wonder?

Will anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

roshje wrote: »
    Residents should have told the GAA we will give you the 5 concerts, but ye will get nothing more for the next two years

Why would they trust them to adhere to that given what's gone before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Strazdas wrote: »
    I doubt we'll ever see another rock or music concert at Croke Park again after this fiasco.

It's unlikely Aiken will want anything to do with the place, and I can see other promoters giving it a wide berth.....too much hassle and too risky.

What on earth would they do with a gigantic stadium built specifically - with large amounts of public sports capital grants - for Gaelic sports if that transpires?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 Chocolate Saturday

It would have been a nice boost to GDP, oh well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

ardle1 wrote: »
    Will anyone?

Nah country's closed. All music banned. Turn off your radio lads. While we're at it better shut down the economy and murder each other in the streets. Such is the travesty that has befallen us.

Give it a rest would ya. People will still play here cause they'll make money. Realistically what band is going to sell 5 nights in croke Park? Most would take your hand off if you offered them 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

3 things I've found staggering.
    1. The amount of Irish people happy to spend what I consider an enormous amount of cash on one night out. Some posters here were going to more than one night. I'm go smacked. If I here any more on Live line about hardship I'll burst.
    2. The total overreaction from punters to the cancellation. One or two on this thread seem to be practically psychopathic about it to the point where its almost frightening.Jebus! Nobody died! Facebook is the same and they are like savages turning on the RA and DCC but attach no blame at all to Aiken/GAA/Brooks who were fleecing them in the first place.
    3. The "sue sue sue" mentality. People don't have even a basic idea concept of law. People think they are going to "sue" DCC because they didn't like the desicion they made, or even "sue" the RA for putting in an objection. What's all that about? Do solicitors seriously get customers attempting to " sue" for imaginary slights?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Exactly the type of me fein selfish attitude that got this country into a mess and made us the laughing stock of a Europe.

I don't care much about Garth Brooks but would have preferred to have seen the concerts take place for the people looking forward to them. But we do need regulation to make a functioning nation and this attitude that all is ok once it suits me is ridiculous and stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Chance The Rapper

Refunds will be processed through TM head office only, agents will not be issuing refunds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

dgt wrote: »
    What'll they do with all those concert shirts in Dunnes Stores now....?

Winter stock, for your fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

Deedsie wrote: »
    I had tickets for the Saturday night. Gutted they are cancelled. I was really looking forward to it.

He will probably never play here again now.

Thanks to the bureaucrats, the residents that were in opposition, the politicians who drafted rubbish legislation, the inflexibility of our planning system for anything positive (It was plenty flexible to line pockets down the years)....

It is said a lot, but this really would never happen in any other country. Sick of this place, it just limps from scandal to scandal, controversy to controversy...

€50,000,000 pished away

This post pretty much encapsulates every problem I have with those that are complaining about the cancellation of the concerts.
    Well which do you want? The enforcement of planning and licencing laws or a return to the days of 'flexibility' that allowed builders to ingore planning guidelines to line their pockets?
    You seem, in that typically Irish fashion, to want it both ways.

Sure we've a housing crisis in Dublin, should we invite Tom McFeeley back to build a couple of dozen Priory Halls to sort it out?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement