Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

cournioni wrote: »
    Either you don't understand my the use of inverted commas or you ignored them. I am of course referring to the alleged 40% forged objections.

Of course real objections have to be taken into account.

There were only 11 false ones according to the testimony today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Either you don't understand my the use of inverted commas or you ignored them. I am of course referring to the alleged 40% forged objections.

Of course real objections have to be taken into account.

so still.HUNDREDS of "legitimate" objections over concerns, why bother with the alleged false ones? One objection could cause a licence to be refused so i don't get your obsession with the alleged fake ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mr.McLovin

Mr Keegan also claimed that he was told by unnamed individuals that people were put under pressure to sign objections at public meetings.

makes you think twice about attending the aul residents association :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

As far as I know - and I'm open to correction here (but will want links and NOT to popular entertainment characters) - the 4th and 5th concerts were announced before any consultation had happened between Aiken and DCC.

look - never belive the "we've added an extra date" rubbish promoters blurb about. There were always 5 dates planned - same as there were always 3 one drection dates planned. However to ensure publicity and as an insurance against not selling out, they drip feed the extra dates.

It was easy to know about 5 dates becasue hotels in the immediate area were booked out though to the wednesday even thoigh on 2 concerts were initially announced.

Funny that - or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Heard a woman on the Radio saying she spent €500 on 4 tickets from Done Deal that she cant get back now.

My first thought was, You deserve not to get it back for being stupid

What stupid fecker forks out €500 for tickets to a concert that didnt even have a licence to go ahead yet?

she'll get €70 + booking fee back for each ticket. Only those who purchased online get refunded automatically as physical tickets bought online had not been sent out yet. (those who printed off online had tckets, but I doubt anyone bout a photocopy!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

delahuntv wrote: »
    look - never belive the "we've added an extra date" rubbish promoters blurb about. There were always 5 dates planned - same as there were always 3 one drection dates planned. However to ensure publicity and as an insurance against not selling out, they drip feed the extra dates.

It was easy to know about 5 dates becasue hotels in the immediate area were booked out though to the wednesday even thoigh on 2 concerts were initially announced.

Funny that - or not?
    I doubt it. Aiken said he thought 2, maybe 3. There's no way he planned for 5 nights. He just had little comic euro symbols in his eyes when he saw the concerts sell out and added date after date. Wonder how many dates could have been added before he thought he was taking the píss? Probably about 20

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

There were only 11 false ones according to the testimony today.

Do you have a link to any source to back that up?

Perhaps the 11 refers to the ones that have already been confirmed as fraudulent?
    As previously revealed, gardai have established that some of the signatures belonged to a child, people living abroad, dead people and a prisoner.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/dcc-boss-owen-keegan-says-council-made-no-effort-to-verify-garth-brooks-objections-30433523.html

That doesn't mean that up to 40% are not still suspected to be forgeries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Do you have a link to any source to back that up?

Perhaps the 11 refers to the ones that have already been confirmed as fraudulent?

No, I watched it live. You can get it on the re-run. Also if you listen to a replay of the right hook one of the TDs who is on the panel mentioned it.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

bumper234 wrote: »
    so still.HUNDREDS of "legitimate" objections over concerns, why bother with the alleged false ones? One objection could cause a licence to be refused so i don't get your obsession with the alleged fake ones.
    I wonder will the thousands of legitimate objections to Keegan's plans for the north quays cycle lanes and the disruption it will cause have any effect on whether or not that project will go ahead. That should be very interesting.

Did he pay any heed to objections and concerns over the "monstrosity" of a library building in Dun Laoghaire when he was DLR manager at the time?

It seems that controversy follows this chap around, I wonder why...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

At this morning's meeting of the Oireachtas Committee on Transport and Communications, the heat was also placed on Dublin City's senior planner Jim Keogan.

It emerged that Mr Keogan, who was directly involved in the decision not to award the five concerts, has family and property interests in the Croke Park area.

Mr Keogan owns a property in Clonliffe gardens which is occupied by his son and daughter-in-law.

But he and Mr Keegan said they did not believe there was a conflict on interest.

Mr Keegan also apologised to TDs and senators who are members of the committee after he wrote a letter last week suggesting that they could be conflicted if they have GAA connections.

It emerged at the meeting that Mr Keogan, the head of the planning department, has GAA connections.

Talking out both sides of his mouth there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

bumper234 wrote: »
    So decisions should be made on emotions now? :rolleyes:

Ahhhhhh c'mon, it was about the biggest entertainment event ever, 400,000 tickets, never mind the loss to the economy, small businesses, merchandising etc etc... Doesn't mean your a big queer if you have sympathy for allllllll that:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Must say that I'm absolutely delighted that these concerts are not going ahead. It's about time that the GAA learnt that they cannot steamroll over those that live in the area (as I do). Three concerts per year is more than enough to be held in a sports stadium located in an urban area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

she'll get €70 + booking fee back for each ticket. Only those who purchased online get refunded automatically as physical tickets bought online had not been sent out yet. (those who printed off online had tckets, but I doubt anyone bout a photocopy!)

I bought online and have my physical tickets

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Ordered tickets online for herself and her friend. Tickets arrived about 2 months ago. A good many were sent out I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Fair point, but could be said of both sides?

I mean, if you didn't have a ticket and are labeling people as haters, posting persistent ad hominem attacks and labeling the DCC as corrupt simply because you don't like the decision, it's hardly caring about laws and protocols either, is it?

I got 6 tickets online for the monday show. I don't consider myself a brooks fan, but thought it would be a good show for myself and the wife. I gave 2 tickets to the old man for his birthday and had purchased another two for a friend who wanted them and then changed his mind, so i sold them to another friend. I decided not to go to the concert and put my tickets up for sale at cost price and sold to a young lad who was getting them for someones birthday. So, I am not exactly biased, or at a loss here (considering the poor lad who bought tickets from me wont get his money back unless he saved my number, i get the money refunded) i think it the whole thing is an absolute disgrace. Garth put it right when he said, "it's a simple yes from the powers that be. Let us have some fun and then fix the problems after" or something akin to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,339 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Funny that - or not?

This doesn't add up.

They had all 5 planned, but announced three pls one plus one without ever contacting anyone about whether it would be feasible to do it on a practical level, but somehow managed to get assurance for a fourth that either didn't exist (because officially it was three at the time) or existed only as part of a four date tour, because the fifth hadn't been added yet.

Why were no assurances asked for or offered for a fifth?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Funny that - or not?

Strange that it was on the radio at the time that folk had booked the Monday and Tuesday night in a hotel for 70 quid before the 4th and 5th concert were announced and then when they were announced the hotel rang them back saying they over booked and didn't have the rooms, this despite the rooms bring still available at 300 quid a pop if you spoke to different receptionist -

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

goz83 wrote: »
    Garth put it right when he said, "it's a simple yes from the powers that be. Let us have some fun and then fix the problems after" or something akin to that.

In other words "Don't apply the rules to me. I'm special. Apply the rules to the next guy"

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

I'm all for people obeying rules, but what rules were in place other than Keegan and the DCC's discretion? They took into account that objections were filed in their decision, but how many of them were forged? They took access restrictions, traffic disruption, illegal parking and potential antisocial behaviour into account despite Gardai statements to suggest that this would not be an issue.

This cannot just be ignored. Especially when the majority of residents were in favour of the event taking place - whose views were not taken into account when the decision had been made.

Well there's no point in going over all the arguments again. As you suggest planning permission for these events is at the discretion of the officials. Those are the rules. Would you prefer it was left up to politicians and promoters? As I've said politicians have put officials in this position because it suits them. If it was for them to decide then they'd also have to take responsibility, as ever rather than change or reform the system they prefer to circumvent it. Kind of like bootleggers and prohibition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

I'm all for people obeying rules, but what rules were in place other than Keegan and the DCC's discretion? They took into account that objections were filed in their decision, but how many of them were forged? They took access restrictions, traffic disruption, illegal parking and potential antisocial behaviour into account despite Gardai statements to suggest that this would not be an issue.

This cannot just be ignored. Especially when the majority of residents were in favour of the event taking place - whose views were not taken into account when the decision had been made.

Correct me if i'm wrong but did the gardai state this before or after the licences were granted for 3 nights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭james66

This fallout from this will be massive.
    Forged signatures win, damage to the tourism industry both local and nation wide, 50 million lost to local economy, hundreds of millions lost due to artists not playing in Ireland anymore. Ireland was a joke internationally already due to the recession, banking crisis ect but now its far worse.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Them Garth Brooks tribute bands are going to be fierce busy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,573 ✭✭✭✭kippy

james66 wrote: »
    Forged signatures win, damage to the tourism industry both local and nation wide, 50 million lost to local economy, hundreds of millions lost due to artists not playing in Ireland anymore. Ireland was a joke internationally already due to the recession, banking crisis ect but now its far worse.

This is far worse than a banking crisis that has cost us 64 billion in direct bank debt and put us 180 billion in the hole altogether?

Christ.on.a.bike.

Anyone that thinks this will put artists off playing here in future is as close to an idiot as you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,339 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Point has been torn apart before: no one outside of Ireland and Tennessee gives a ****, and the fallout on a professional level will for Aiken. Artists will not write off an entire nation just over one promoter's **** up. Be sensible.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

kippy wrote: »
    This is far worse than a banking crisis that has cost us 64 billion in direct bank debt and put us 180 billion in the hole altogether?

Christ.on.a.bike.

Nice strawman. Where did i say its far worse? I said it will make our reputation abroad worse than it already is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I've put my Croke Park/Garth Brooks fund into a separate account today. Its now my Garth Brooks/Europe/UK fund for next year. I'll get my five nights yet. Bring it on.

Point has been torn apart before: no one outside of Ireland and Tennessee gives a ****, and the fallout on a professional level will for Aiken. Artists will not write off an entire nation just over one promoter's **** up. Be sensible.

Where is your source that no one gives a ****? Its all over international media and front pages of mainsteam media.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28314675 UK
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/09/showbiz/garth-brooks-ireland-concerts/ USA
    https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/garth-brooks-crushed-cancels-ireland-shows-091831132.html AU

These concerts were canceled by DCC when over 40pc of the signatures were forgeries. Thats the main issue the forgeries.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭newirishman

Pretty much nobody outside Ireland (Dublin?) cares, apart from 400,000 ticket holders. Don't get too carried away, a national emergency this is not.
    It isn't the first concert that didn't go ahead, and won't be the last.

If you want to blame someone, give Garth a call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I wonder will the thousands of legitimate objections to Keegan's plans for the north quays cycle lanes and the disruption it will cause have any effect on whether or not that project will go ahead. That should be very interesting.

they won't be taken into account i'd say, he will railroad the lot through, because thats what the anti-car pro-cycling at the cost of everything else types do, but yes, it will be very interesting indeed.
    Did he pay any heed to objections and concerns over the "monstrosity" of a library building in Dun Laoghaire when he was DLR manager at the time?

i wonder that myself.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement