Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,573 ✭✭✭✭kippy

james66 wrote: »
    Nice strawman. Where did i say its far worse? I said it will make our reputation abroad worse than it already is.

eh.....the very last few words of your post........
    "This fallout from this will be massive.
    Forged signatures win, damage to the tourism industry both local and nation wide, 50 million lost to local economy, hundreds of millions lost due to artists not playing in Ireland anymore. Ireland was a joke internationally already due to the recession, banking crisis ect but now its far worse."

Maybe I've picked you up wrong.......

Paper never refuses ink and sure the stories are on most media. They'll be forgotten about in days if not already, everyone will move on and Garth Brooks fans will spend their money on something else.

Where is your source that no one gives a ****? Its all over international media and front pages of mainsteam media.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28314675 UK
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/09/showbiz/garth-brooks-ireland-concerts/ USA
    https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/garth-brooks-crushed-cancels-ireland-shows-091831132.html AU

These concerts were canceled by DCC when over 40pc of the signatures were forgeries. Thats the main issue the forgeries.
    For the umpteenth time, there is absolutly NO concrete evidence that 40 percent of these were forgeries. According to reports today (unsubstantiated might I add) its far less.
    Even then, the signatures were only part of the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Where is your source that no one gives a ****? Its all over international media and front pages of mainsteam media.
    https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/garth-brooks-crushed-cancels-ireland-shows-091831132.html AU

These concerts were canceled by DCC when over 40pc of the signatures were forgeries. Thats the main issue the forgeries.

When was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,339 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I've put my Croke Park/Garth Brooks fund into a separate account today. Its now my Garth Brooks/Europe/UK fund for next year. I'll get my five nights yet. Bring it on.

There ya go - that's the spirit!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

snollup wrote: »
    It's about time that the GAA learnt that they cannot steamroll over those that live in the area (as I do).

the GAA did not steamroll over those that live in the area, you had ampel opportunities to discuss any issues, did you?
    snollup wrote: »
    Three concerts per year is more than enough to be held in a sports stadium located in an urban area.

its not, you don't have any right to hold a business to ransom who invests in sports in your community, keep your issues with the GAA out of this and stop using the concerts as a way of getting at the GAA because of your non-issues, you chose to live there yet you want a rural type lifestyle in a capital city, well its not going to happen, in a capital city noise hustle and bustle is the way, so put up or sell up

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Point has been torn apart before: no one outside of Ireland and Tennessee gives a ****, and the fallout on a professional level will for Aiken. Artists will not write off an entire nation just over one promoter's **** up. Be sensible.

The thing is that without promoters doing their best to attract big name artists for large concerts, the artists won't even consider Ireland as a venue.

On a world tour for example, playing just one venue in a country is a pain in the hole for those employed by artists to organise logistics etc. Particularly if they're restricted to just a few nights.

Promoters do a lot to make artists and their management want to play in Ireland. Aiken will feel the effects of this, they may be put off from bothering with putting feelers out for very big events and so on, and in turn that will have an effect on what artists end up playing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

As you are a fan of giving links, perhaps you will provide a credible source of the 40pc of forged signatures?

In the Oireachtas the figure stood at 11 out of 384 - which when I do the math is less than 3%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭james66

Ace2007 wrote: »
    As you are a fan of giving links, perhaps you will provide a credible source of the 40pc of forged signatures?

In the Oireachtas the figure stood at 11.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/gardai-suspect-up-to-40pc-of-objections-to-brooks-concerts-are-forgeries-30428857.html
    Detectives suspect that between 35pc and 40pc of the almost 400 objections lodged may be forged.
    Its probably not 40 percent but there were still forgeries and when you look at the fact that many residents want the concerts to go ahead it gets more suspicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

kippy wrote: »
    For the umpteenth time, there is absolutly NO concrete evidence that 40 percent of these were forgeries. According to reports today (unsubstantiated might I add) its far less.
    Even then, the signatures were only part of the process.
    There were 11 people who did not actually object even though their objections were received.
    DCC did not take them into account and contacted the guards. This is part of the public record of the Oireachtas committee today and nobody has disputed it.

But hey - the majority of pro Garth fans on here do not want to deal in facts. They just want to peddle lies and crazy predictions just to bitch about the fact that a country singer will not be performing in a few weeks.

It's quite sad to see (presumably) normal people act like this.

The thing is that without promoters doing their best to attract big name artists for large concerts, the artists won't even consider Ireland as a venue.

On a world tour for example, playing just one venue in a country is a pain in the hole for those employed by artists to organise logistics etc. Particularly if they're restricted to just a few nights.

Promoters do a lot to make artists and their management want to play in Ireland. Aiken will feel the effects of this, they may be put off from bothering with putting feelers out for very big events and so on, and in turn that will have an effect on what artists end up playing here.

Croke Park already has artists lined up for 3 concerts in 2015 and 2016 - they can promote of good Ireland is through theses concerts when everything is ran the way it should be - won't stop anyone from coming here.

• Advertisement

Ah now.......
    There's a reason that the biggest acts in the world keep coming back to Ireland to play gigs, despite our size and relative remoteness.
    Profit Margin.

That hasn't changed.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/gardai-suspect-up-to-40pc-of-objections-to-brooks-concerts-are-forgeries-30428857.html

Its probably not 40 percent but there were still forgeries and when you look at the fact that many residents want the concerts to go ahead it gets more suspicious.

It was reported. But on the public record of the Oireachtas committee it in 11 in total.

Since when is media print 100% fact btw?

It being there doesn't mean people care. Which of those articles specifically blames Ireland as a nation or infers that artists don't want to come here?

Forgeries are not the main issue. An issue, perhaps, but can youprove that it was a major decider in the decision? Especially as you've admitted your figures are bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Jimfo1970

It's only a small thing in the over all context of this but my brother in law (Irish) who recently moved back here from Australia was sub contracted for the 5 concerts. He borrowed a considerable amount of money from his bank to cover him until he received payment. He now has a loan and as his services are no longer required won't get a cent most likely and I'm sure he is not alone. This is a horror story.

"Ireland is open for business" according to Enda. I doubt it very much

We are the laugh of the world but these big guns don't care. It does not affect their lives. My brother in law regrets coming home he said earlier and is seriously thinking of leaving again.

Jimfo1970 wrote: »
    It's only a small thing in the over all context of this but my brother in law (Irish) who recently moved back here from Australia was sub contracted for the 5 concerts. He borrowed a considerable amount of money from his bank to cover him until he received payment. He now has a loan and as his services are no longer required won't get a cent most likely and I'm sure he is not alone. This is a horror story.

We are the laugh of the world but these big guns don't care. It does not affect their lives. My brother in law regrets coming home he said earlier and is seriously thinking of leaving again.
    So you'd prefer that due process and the law of the land were trampled all over?

Look, I am sure there are a lot of people in a similiar position to your brother, but unfortunately unless the law is changed to ensure that licenses have to be granted before tickets go on sale (which apparantly the promoters dont want to see happening) it is a risk that this could happen again.

Can you please tell me when DCC canceled the concerts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

I'm afraid these were all minor stories, not headline material as with the Irish media. If you're going to link to articles on the topic, you should probably include those that express disbelief and mirth at the uproar that the cancellation of a few gigs has caused.

Good example from New Statesman:
    The fallout of the affair in Ireland has been a farcical national psychodrama where politicians have jostled to table emergency legislation to override the council’s decision and media commentators have even called on President Barack Obama to intervene (the White House, clearly having better things to do, has wisely declined the call).
    http://www.newstatesman.com/culture/2014/07/why-country-star-garth-brooks-cancelling-five-dublin-gigs-causing-such-uproar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

Honest question - who contracted him, and did they make him aware that the concerts were still in the license application process?

If he borrowed money to cover expenses in preparation of the work he was contracted to do, I hope there is some way he can be reimbursed; if it was for living expenses I hope it will cover him until he can find something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

This fallout from this will be massive.
    Forged signatures win, damage to the tourism industry both local and nation wide, 50 million lost to local economy, hundreds of millions lost due to artists not playing in Ireland anymore. Ireland was a joke internationally already due to the recession, banking crisis ect but now its far worse.

I think you need to calm the **** down James, no point in talking up a storm when the reality is that it will likely blow over. Absolutely there needs to be a review of the process, and yes it's not a good outcome but it's not as bad as you think.

Ireland is not a joke, forged signatures have not won, we won't lose hundred of millions etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭james66

muddypaws wrote: »
    Can you please tell me when DCC canceled the concerts :D

Dublin City Council's decision to only grant licences to three out of the 5 so 2 concerts were basically canceled by DCC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 HarryO

Anyone know where all this ticket money has been since the tickets were sold its awful lot of money someone must be making use of it, lets hope the Plastic Cowboy gets none of it

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Jimfo1970

kippy wrote: »
    So you'd prefer that due process and the law of the land were trampled all over?

Look, I am sure there are a lot of people in a similiar position to your brother, but unfortunately unless the law is changed to ensure that licenses have to be granted before tickets go on sale (which apparantly the promoters dont want to see happening) it is a risk that this could happen again.

For the greater good they could have let the extra 2 concerts go ahead but punish all concerned by not allowing any concerts for the next 5 years. That way everybody wins.

Dublin City Council's decision to only grant licences to three out of the 5 so 2 concerts were basically canceled by DCC.

No they definitely weren't, basically or otherwise. However, Garth Brooks cancelled 3 concerts that were given licences.

No, the 2 concerts were never confirmed in the first place, so were never cancelled by anyone. Hence the 'subject to licence' bit. The other 3 were cancelled by Brooks.

You should have noticed by now that exaggeration trends to be spotted around here and have stopped doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Nope.

The concerts never had permission, so it wasn't something that was being taken away. three were granted, a fourth was offered.
    Brooks cancelled them by deciding not to play any. Brooks is a tool.

Stop using the word "basically" to reverse the source of the cancellation.

For the greater good they could have let the extra 2 concerts go ahead but punish all concerned by not allowing any concerts for the next 5 years. That way everybody wins.

The greater good?

Lets assume that is a coherent argument. Lets break it down.

Lets allow 2 concerts to go ahead this year, forfeiting 3 concerts a year for the next 5 years (15 concerts in total)

So, allow 2 concerts at the expense of 15? That's for the "greater good"?

HarryO wrote: »
    Anyone know where all this ticket money has been since the tickets were sold its awful lot of money someone must be making use of it, lets hope the Plastic Cowboy gets none of it

I'd say most of the costs have been covered by the interest the money has earned since the gigs sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I don't buy that at all. Biggest gigs make the promoter the biggest amount of money. You think he won't bother going for them any more?

Residents would happily have signed up for this deal

GAA said no to this months back in the independent report regarding the residents and Croke Park.

The GAA state that they have artists that have signed up for the next 2 years

• Advertisement

which is what?

So what happens with the concerts that Croke Park have got lined up for the next two years, and may already have signed contracts for?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement