Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Jimfo1970 wrote: »
    For the greater good they could have let the extra 2 concerts go ahead but punish all concerned by not allowing any concerts for the next 5 years. That way everybody wins.

Except the acts and fans penciled for the next 5 years.
    This is fairly typical of the attitude of Brooks and his fans, when will you get it that Aitken had no right, or precedent to assume that permission for 5 nights was going to be forthcoming. Even if it was 5 gigs spread over a month, it would be a major coup to get permission. He was chancing his arm, DCC correctly weren't having a bar of it. Try and get objective about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

the GAA did not steamroll over those that live in the area, you had ampel opportunities to discuss any issues, did you?

Nice to see you back, so it appears that you were wrong when you guaranteed that that concerts would go ahead.

I see your off arguing in the Palestine thread, can only imagine the stuff your coming out with - no one in here was able to show you the light, wonder will you listen over there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

james66 wrote: »
    This fallout from this will be massive.
    Forged signatures win, damage to the tourism industry both local and nation wide, 50 million lost to local economy, hundreds of millions lost due to artists not playing in Ireland anymore. Ireland was a joke internationally already due to the recession, banking crisis ect but now its far worse.

This will be forgotten about in 2 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭james66

Nope.

The concerts never had permission, so it wasn't something that was being taken away. three were granted, a fourth was offered.
    Brooks cancelled them by deciding not to play any. Brooks is a tool.

Stop using the word "basically" to reverse the source of the cancellation.
    No Brooks actually stands to lose millions by not playing any. He would rather play none than leave 180000 people out. DCC acted based on forgeries and a broken licensing system.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Cienciano wrote: »
    I don't buy that at all. Biggest gigs make the promoter the biggest amount of money. You think he won't bother going for them any more?

I think he and others will be more reluctant to bother seeking attention from artists wanting to stage any large stadium gigs over consecutive nights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Jimfo1970

Except the acts and fans penciled for the next 5 years.
    This is fairly typical of the attitude of Brooks and his fans, when will you get it that Aitken had no right, or precedent to assume that permission for 5 nights was going to be forthcoming. Even if it was 5 gigs spread over a month, it would be a major coup to get permission. He was chancing his arm, DCC correctly weren't having a bar of it. Try and get objective about it.

I am not a fan. I just cringe every time I think of the loss of income for our economy that badly needs every cent it can get not to mention the fallout that could happen from all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

In the name of all that is holy can we please CLOSE THE FCUKING THREAD...it's going nowhere - at an alarming rate of knots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

No Brooks actually stands to lose millions by not playing any. He would rather play none than leave 180000 people out. DCC acted based on forgeries and a broken licensing system.

180000 now, where did the extra 20,000 come from? The same place as your 40% forgeries?

Pwindedd wrote: »
    In the name of all that is holy can we please CLOSE THE FCUKING THREAD...it's going nowhere - at an alarming rate of knots.

Just like the 5 concerts !

gull a bull.

No, he's a pigheaded idiot.
    If you believe anything you read in his press releases then you're clearly too far gone in fanboy ways to contemplate that the man is or even possibly could be an asshole.
    you seriously think he gives a sh!t about his fans after the way he has behaved ?

He was even offered 6 gigs total, meaning everyone got their fix, if he gave a fcuk, he would have gone for that offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

First time I've felt the Government may have done something to be proud of.
    Of course knowing them it was probably accidental not intentional.

I am not a fan. I just cringe every time I think of the loss of income for our economy that badly needs every cent it can get not to mention the fallout that could happen from all of this.

I've been over this time and time again. You have no mathematical, scientific or economic basis for the claim that this would have generated a net gain for the economy.

IN other news, Ireland's exports increased by 16%, but all the hard work in generating a trade surplus and making a tangible "income for our economy" has gone unmentioned in 130 pages of whinging cowboys

What fallout?

Seriously!

What's gonna happen because garthy wasn't aloud whinge about unanswered prayers?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I agree. Same old points being brought up for the 100th time, same old counter arguments, but I can't stop reading it. Come on mods, close this and put us all out of our misery!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

By saying that the 5 should have been allowed take place and then no concerts for 2 more years is akin to DCC refusing to allow the 1D concerts to go ahead and giving their 3 slots to Garth Brooks along with another 2. It would have upset 240,000 kids in favour of Garth fans.
    I'd like to see the cowboys and cowgirls take on the parents of pre-pubescent hormonal girls. :D

Banning whatever artist is signed up for next year and giving those slots to GB now is identical to the scenario above.

Nobody knows yet who is playing next year, so what give Garth Brooks the right to prevent 240,000 fans of a different artist next year and the year after. That would be 480,000 fans and the money coming into the economy would be greater than that lost this month.

Maybe next year it is 1D (or whoever the kids are screaming about). Maybe it is the end of Garth Books' world tour. ;)

bumper234 wrote: »
    What fallout?

Seriously!

What's gonna happen because garthy wasn't aloud whinge about unanswered prayers?

I hope I am wrong but from some information that I am privy to have I believe there is much more damage to come. Lets wait and see.

I hope I am wrong but from some information that I am privy to have I believe there is much more damage to come. Lets wait and see.

What, like a Dublin hotel closing because of all the negative tripadvisor comments after their little PR stunt?

Circling the drain more like, it'll soon drop off the list as people get fed up with repeating the same old guff around and around.

yeah

Sure

Ok

;)

:rolleyes:

Why even post that.....
    unless its spurious tripe?
    an effort to bump the thread ?
    Maybe you want someone to ask you what you private information is?
    Maybe you want someone to ask you what the damage will be?

Your information thus far has been mediocre at best, and the processes applied to the information have been distinctly lacklustre.

Time for Godwins Law - Garth Brooks is a nazi !

Woohoo, lock it up, shut it down, normal service may be resume !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Nice to see you back, so it appears that you were wrong when you guaranteed that that concerts would go ahead.

I see your off arguing in the Palestine thread, can only imagine the stuff your coming out with - no one in here was able to show you the light, wonder will you listen over there?
    i claimed nothing, i said i'd be surprised if the concerts didn't go ahead, yes i'm arguing away in the palestine thread and i'm right on my points there

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

i claimed nothing, i said i'd be surprised if the concerts didn't go ahead, yes i'm arguing away in the palestine thread and i'm right on my points there

Of course you are

::rolleyes:

Just for fun, here's a rundown of the people with most posts in this thread and whether or not they have been 'arguing' in favor or against the concerts

Username|Posts in this thread|For or against concerts
    Happyman42 |279|against
    Jim Rockford |168 |for
    Wishiwasa Littlebitaller |164 |for
    nm |141|for
    bumper234 |122 |against
    Ace2007 |118 |against
    muddypaws |114 |against
    jack presley |106 |for
    Red Nissan |103 |for
    Peppa Pig |100 |against

Based on the top ten people with most posts in this thread:

A total of 733 posts were made by 5 people opposed to the gigs.

A total of 682 were made by those in favor of them.

Food for thought for those who are now moaning about any specific side not letting go and moving on :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Just for fun, here's a rundown of the people most posts in this thread and whether or not they have been 'arguing' in favor or against the concerts

How long did it take you to produce that stats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

You do realise that Mr Brooks would have left Ireland with 7.5 million in clear profit in his back pocket? If all of the foreign visitors combined spent 7.5 million in Ireland not including tickets, the country would only have broken even.

Just for fun, here's a rundown of the people with most posts in this thread and whether or not they have been 'arguing' in favor or against the concerts

Happyman42 |279|against
    Jim Rockford |168 |for
    nm |141|for
    bumper234 |122 |against
    Ace2007 |118 |against
    muddypaws |114 |against
    jack presley |106 |for
    Red Nissan |103 |for
    Peppa Pig |100 |against

Food for thought for those who are now moaning about any specific side not letting go and moving on :pac:

And i was banned for a month!!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Rock fan

Whats all the fuss about have people really forgot he's an over weight middle aged money grabbing suedo cowboy that dupped 400,000 people into the idea that it was going to be "the biggest thing to come to Ireland in years" well let me tell all the so called die hard fans why not go to a Springsteen concert (he even played a couple of gigs outside Dubllin) or a Paul McCartney concert to see what a show a real legend puts on !! that is all rant over

Happyman42 |279|against
    Jim Rockford |168 |for
    nm |141|for
    bumper234 |122 |against
    Ace2007 |118 |against
    muddypaws |114 |against
    jack presley |106 |for
    Red Nissan |103 |for
    Peppa Pig |100 |against

Sorry, I was not opposed to the gigs. Three gigs were given licences, I would have loved them to have gone ahead.

How long did it take you to produce that stats?

Way too long, for what it is =p

Posts-counts for each poster in any given thread are visible by clicking the number of replies to each thread on the main page of the forum. The rest is just going from memory and whether or not they appeared to generally oppose or support the concerts.

There's a couple I'm not sure of so I put them down as 'for' just to be safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

i'm afraid the residents won't be able to do anything, these concerts will go ahead as the amount of money and visitors they will bring to dublin is to much of a boost to the economy to allow these concerts to be canceled
    the concerts will still go ahead, only so long the residents could block the streets before they get moved on, the same thing happens with the taxi drivers

The above are just 2 posts from many where you argued constantly with people who had a different opinion stating the concerts would go ahead.

Everyone in this thread knows if the concerts had been given the green light you would be telling people you were right all along....

bumper234 wrote: »
    And i was banned for a month!!!! :eek:

How did you get banned for a month? - I'll probably be going that way soon ha

The stats should be done with the other thread as well.

Obv the against side has won anyway :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement