Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

nm wrote: »
    With the current residents being there since pre-1913? Unlikely.
    And how long have rock concerts been held there?:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

bumper234 wrote: »
    Of course they should and i'm sure they would have been.
    Exactly. So are you suggesting that the Gardai changed their stance between the planning process and their statement on 5 consecutive shows not being an issue?

Are my claims still "pretty much false?"

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    So once again you are fully agreeing that these gigs would have a significant negative impact on the area's residents for there to possibly be a conflict of interest? Which is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

He presented himself as a CP resident to challenge, then after he did a massive u-turn the stuff came out about the mystery funding.

But sure, you know this.

He was a CP resident (much is being made that the man who made the decision in the first place was one too) but did not take his injunction representing anybody but himself and those who funded him. Funders whose motive was to challenge the GAA from within.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

No objection came from the house the son in law lives in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

bumper234 wrote: »
    Says you who doesn't live there and therefore has no idea what it's like.

I don't need to live there to know what traffic and disruptions are like. I've been in traffic before believe it or not.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    And how long have rock concerts been held there?:rolleyes:

Is this specific to music then, or is it about traffic, disruptions, roads blocked off?

It is and always has been a stadium which draws big crowds, the biggest and most regular crowds in the whole country.
    I wouldn't live there if I couldn't handle all that comes with big crowds a few days a year.

muddypaws wrote: »
    What nobody has mentioned, since it came out about the house yesterday, is the same manager also admitted to having been a member of the GAA when asked. Not once has that been mentioned on here, or in the press as far as I can see.
    Do keep up! :P

It still does not excuse his involvement in the planning process.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

There were criticisms of u2 gigs for Croke Park in 2009.
    There were criticisms of plans for Dun Laoghaire library.

Owen Keegan is taking the rap for a decision made by Jim Keogan, who, AFAIK,
    was in DCC at the time of the U2 concerts. The criticisms of the locals were
    ignored at the time. From a comment made by Peter McKenna?, Croke Park, a
    few weeks ago, which tried to assure people that all five concerts would go ahead,
    it would appear that Croke Park/GAA were prepared to ignore the objections of
    the residents on this occasion also. I suspect, rightly or wrongly, that Keogan
    only gave permission for the three nights as a sop to those who were threatening
    legal action. His decision had nothing to do with concern for the residents.

It will be interesting to see how robust the questioning of the GAA guys will be
    today from those GAA sympathisers who probably got free tickets from the said
    organisation to go to the Garth Brooks gigs!!

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Funders whose motive was to challenge the GAA from within.

If that's true, and we don't know that it is (apart from a random unbacked up boards.ie post) it would be utterly bizarre for the GAA to take out 360,000 innocent ticket holders (not to mention the tourists, local spending, and so on) as a covert external challenge back into their own organisation.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Quite wrong.
    He wrote to them 'asking if their membership and standing in the GAA might represent a conflict of interest'.

Nothing unusual about people called in front of the PAC to question it's make-up and actions, it is quite normal.
    He also claimed that Sinn Fein's Mary Lou McDonald is another member "who indicates they're not objective in addressing these issues".

http://www.herald.ie/news/shatter-slams-pac-members-over-comments-29957710.html

As a well known Dublin lady would say: 'Ah here, Leave it out'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭bobrawn20

How in the name of god is this thread still going

Is this specific to music then, or is it about traffic, disruptions, roads blocked off?

It is and always has been a stadium which draws big crowds, the biggest and most regular crowds in the whole country.
    I wouldn't live there if I couldn't handle all that comes with big crowds a few days a year.
    Why are you now insisting it's specific to anything? And I see you are now also claiming there is no distinction between GAA matches on some Sunday afternoons and 5 nights in a row with 80,000 people per night.

reprazant wrote: »
    Possibly not, but it still does not excuse Keogan's involvement. For all we know either he or the daughter and son in law could have been completely against the event without objecting.

If that's true, and we don't know that it is (apart from a random unbacked up boards.ie post) it would be utterly bizarre for the GAA to take out 360,000 innocent ticket holders (not to mention the tourists, local spending, and so on) as a covert external challenge back into their own organisation.

The 'bizarreness' of it doesn't mean that it is not the case.

The fact is: no residents group took any action to stop the concerts when the decision was made. Yes, they threatened to, but they have done that many many times before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Or to put it another way, the DL ones were ignored by Keegan but the CP ones, on the complete contrary, had to have their demands appeased.
    Why was that I wonder.
    You couldn't invent it.

The conditions put in by an Bord Pleanala carry weight

reprazant wrote: »

I believe that is a wholly irrelevant point as Keogan, AFAIK, was instrumental in
    giving a licence to U2 back in 2009 in spite of objections from residents.

The fact that Keogan's son lives in the vicinity was brought to light yesterday
    after several on the Oireachtas committee took umbrage at Keegan's objections
    to GAA 'sympathisers' sitting on the panel. Their reaction was pathetic!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Pwindedd wrote: »
    Exhibit 732 in the people vs Common Sense !!

Enough... Make it stop....ban me or summat...plurrrrleeeeeese.

I'll offer grammar and common courtesy lessons, in exchange for another useless and eyebrow raising reply :rolleyes:

My previous post is valid, even though some DCC and CPR huggers would like to disagree.

Though I agree, that this thread has gone on too long and has, more or less, gone in circles.

Summary:

No tickets should have been sold at all, because the maximum 3 slots per annum were used by One Direction (cringe).

Tickets were sold for 5 nights in a row, totalling 400k. DCC never refused a license before and Aiken believed there would be licenses granted for all 5 nights, with restrictions. This is where I see the issue.

Many thousands of people from around the globe purchased tickets in good faith and many spend a fortune on travel and accommodation, which for the most part, is money spent.

Some residents complained and had probably the biggest concert in the history of the stadium cancelled. Many objections and signatures were bogus.

The country is out tens of millions of much needed revenue. The local community, in which some residents reside, actually loses out the most.

From outside the looking glass, people don't see the laws, limits, or judgements. They see that Ireland failed on this this one. This has had a very negative impact on "Brand Ireland", in my opinion, as a whole.

I said earlier that I actually gain financially, due to two tickets being sold to a stranger, but I would have liked to see the gigs go ahead. I have family living beside the stadium who are disgusted at the narrow mindedness of some of the local residents. I suppose a few crooked individuals actually can make a difference.

goz83 wrote: »
    Tickets were sold for 5 nights in a row, totalling 400k. DCC never refused a license before and Aiken believed there would be licenses granted for all 5 nights, with restrictions. This is where I see the issue.
    Huh? Did they "never refuse" a 5 night license before because nobody had ever been thick enough to ask for one by any chance?

brooke 2 wrote: »
    I believe that is a wholly irrelevant point as Keogan, AFAIK, was instrumental in
    giving a licence to U2 back in 2009 in spite of objections from residents.

The fact that Keogan's son lives in the vicinity was brought to light yesterday
    after several on the Oireachtas committee took umbrage at Keegan's objections
    to GAA 'sympathisers' sitting on the panel. Their reaction was pathetic!

Very true! Dooley's questioning and butt hurt being particularly cringeworthy and the misinformed and patently noit listening young guy (anyone know his name?) who insisted that the matinees where approved by DCC, despite being told they where Aiken's suggestion and that they were not 'approved' in any way by DCC. :rolleyes:

Just one thing about your post...the information wasn't really 'brought to light' yesterday, Mary Lou clearly knew all about it, so it is not hidden and is on public record somewhere for all to see.

I dare say a promoter in USA or UK would not have tried it on like Aiken did here. I would also say that UK politicians would not be requesting emergency law to be rushed through. Absolutely no way . Our politicians cant help themselves when it comes to gombeenism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

GAA boss in front of the oirechtas committee

Garth Brooks concerts are a national importance, similar to Ireland playing there or the special Olympics
    Many objections were forged
    We can apply for as many licences as we want
    The majority of residents were in favour of the concerts
    Residents gets tickets, money and apparently a load of compost last year
    GB concert would not bring in a crowd that would have any antisocial behaviour

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Why are you now insisting it's specific to anything? And I see you are now also claiming there is no distinction between GAA matches on some Sunday afternoons and 5 nights in a row with 80,000 people per night.

You brought up 'rock concerts', I asked if it was specific to those or about crowding problems. The vast majority of posts against the gigs is about the latter.

bumper234 brought up the traffic and disruption so I replied to that about traffic and disruption.

Grand?

goz83 wrote: »
    I'll offer grammar and common courtesy lessons, in exchange for another useless and eyebrow raising reply :rolleyes:

My previous post is valid, even though some DCC and CPR huggers would like to disagree.

Though I agree, that this thread has gone on too long and has, more or less, gone in circles.

Summary:

No tickets should have been sold at all, because the maximum 3 slots per annum were used by One Direction (cringe).

Many thousands of people from around the globe purchased tickets in good faith and many spend a fortune on travel and accommodation, which for the most part, is money spent.

Some residents complained and had probably the biggest concert in the history of the stadium cancelled. Many objections and signatures were bogus.

The country is out tens of millions of much needed revenue. The local community, in which some residents reside, actually loses out the most.

From outside the looking glass, people don't see the laws, limits, or judgements. They see that Ireland failed on this this one. This has had a very negative impact on "Brand Ireland", in my opinion, as a whole.

I said earlier that I actually gain financially, due to two tickets being sold to a stranger, but I would have liked to see the gigs go ahead. I have family living beside the stadium who are disgusted at the narrow mindedness of some of the local residents. I suppose a few crooked individuals actually can make a difference.

And it has been pointed out to you that the amount of tickets sold or unsold is outside the remit of DCC.
    I'm not sure why you keep persisting in suggesting it should. That would lead to a chaotic planning system.
    Look at how the 'demand' for housing lead to some crazy planning decisions being made during the bad old days of too 'flexible' laws.

Keegan advised Peter McKenna that 5 licences would be granted

Going to get nasty - some one is telling big porkies

cournioni wrote: »
    Possibly not, but it still does not excuse Keogan's involvement. For all we know either he or the daughter and son in law could have been completely against the event without objecting.

Somehow, I doubt it very much!!! I would be more concerned about Keogan's
    cosy relationship with the GAA!!!

GAA guy coming across better than I thought.

Only 3 complaints lodged after the 240,000 capacity 1D gigs.

Talk of 5 gigs indicated to go ahead from Keegan.

Long term plans for event management at CP, etc.

GAA adamant that DCC indicated to them that all 5 would go ahead.

GAA guy coming across better than I thought.
    He is but he just reading a statement. Be interesting to see him if he gets grilled like Keegan did

I dare say a promoter in USA or UK would not have tried it on like Aiken did here. I would also say that UK politicians would not be requesting emergency law to be rushed through. Absolutely no way . Our politicians cant help themselves when it comes to gombeeism.

• Advertisement

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Somehow, I doubt it very much!!! I would be more concerned about Keogan's
    cosy relationship with the GAA!!!
    What I am saying is, he should not have been involved in the process at all. If he has a vested interest, he should not be involved regardless of what side he's on, residents association or GAA.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement