Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

GAA indicating that there could be more fraudulent submissions, the only ones that were picked out are those that were contactable.

Says that DCC licencing process was manipulated and distorted by a small group of residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

"over intensification would not be considered for the rugby world cup"
    they are sports events :confused:

DCC swayed by objections - DCC contacted by people who did not make submissions. Keegan says 11 were received.
    GAA claiming this is not the full amount. It is reasonable to assume there were more as it is obvious there was an orchestrated campaign to block the concerts

He's not dealing in facts now - he dealing in supposition.
    DCC should have ignored the objections and granted the licences

Sounds like he has been briefed by MaryLou

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    He is but he just reading a statement. Be interesting to see him if he gets grilled like Keegan did

f he`s grilled, no free all ireland final tickets for the grillers....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

nm wrote: »
    GAA indicating that there could be more fraudulent submissions, the only ones that were picked out are those that were contactable.

As did DCC yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Jesus, this is laughable. He is just doing a boards rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

cournioni wrote: »

If the GAA built a cycle track around Croke Park, do you think there would be an issue with the Brooks concerts? No would be my guess, Keegan would be cycling around it day and night.

There'd be a president for that though.

I realise that Keegan is constantly be photographed in a high vis on a bicycle as if this is a crime but what has that got to do with this Gareth Brooks concert? As for the implication that Keegan is some how venal there's no evidence for this either, quite the contrary he comes across as stubborn.

I think your comments are telling. DCC refused to grant five licenses because of the objections raised by a small minority who live near the venue. Sure why would they do that? Something dodgy going on? Oh yeah the county manager isn't 'one of us either' doesn't he cycle to work? He's part of an other dodgy minority.

Well it's all about the money isn't it sure he can be bought. He'll take a cycle track instead of the usual brown envelope.

Face facts, Ireland has moved on, not everyone can be bought, minorities have rights, rules aren't there to be broken.

I for one welcome our new high-vis wearing over lords. Give me that over that other fixture of Croke park. Bertie the people pleaser who terrible legacy we're still dealing with everyday.

"over intensification would not be considered for the rugby world cup"
    they are sports events :confused:

He's right, they are still surplus to the GAA matches. Garth could be playing volleyball in there, the 'intensification' would be the same.

Now he is claiming that every one thinks the decision is incomprehensible
    Turned our back on a vast economic windfall
    Turned down a great cultural occasion :rolleyes:

He has never addressed how residents are put out - its all the GAA, ecoonmy and Garth Brooks fans
    Self inflicted wound on the country

...and not a mention of Brooks decision to cancel all 5 gigs leaving fans and the GAA in the lurch. :rolleyes:
    Well fielded there Pauric!

• Advertisement

So these committees aren't set up to examine facts then? They exist just for different people to rant and get attention. Great way for a country to work.

He's right, they are still surplus to the GAA matches. Garth could be playing volleyball in there, the 'intensification' would be the same.
    Rugbyr matches won't be over at 11pm

Aiken calling him Gareth :D

"people denied a great social and cultural occasion" so Garth Brooks has become a part of our culture....it must be true...the GAA said it :(

Peter Aiken has just called him Gareth

GAA claiming this is not the full amount. It is reasonable to assume there were more as it is obvious there was an orchestrated campaign to block the concerts

One wonders how Pauric knows 'there must be more'? Give us a look at the CCTV of the man delivering them again! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Rugbyr matches won't be over at 11pm

Aiken calling him Gareth :D
    Is Aiken the guy talking now?

He's calling him Garth, what are you talking about?

I'm picturing Garth just rolling his eyes on watching his mate Aikens on TV calling him Gareth.

He's moved back to Garth now though, maybe a kick received under the table or something. All is well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Very true! Dooley's questioning and butt hurt being particularly cringeworthy and the misinformed and patently noit listening young guy (anyone know his name?) who insisted that the matinees where approved by DCC, despite being told they where Aiken's suggestion and that they were not 'approved' in any way by DCC. :rolleyes:

Just one thing about your post...the information wasn't really 'brought to light' yesterday, Mary Lou clearly knew all about it, so it is not hidden and is on public record somewhere for all to see.

Yes, that young guy (can't remember his name either!) really carried on in a very
    silly manner. Looking for an apology, for flip's sake!

Thank you for the correction. :) Thought the info was publicised as a reaction to
    Keegan's request re GAA 'sympathisers'.

Is Aiken the guy talking now?

He's calling him Garth, what are you talking about?
    He's called him Gareth twice then a Garth, then a Gareth then back to Garth

• Registered Users Posts: 18,439 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Garth Brooks concerts are a national importance

This is the funniest thing I have heard yet! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

There'd be a president for that though.

I realise that Keegan is constantly be photographed in a high vis on a bicycle as if this is a crime but what has that got to do with this Gareth Brooks concert? As for the implication that Keegan is some how venal there's no evidence for this either, quite the contrary he comes across as stubborn.

I think your comments are telling. DCC refused to grant five licenses because of the objections raised by a small minority who live near the venue. Sure why would they do that? Something dodgy going on? Oh yeah the county manager isn't 'one of us either' doesn't he cycle to work? He's part of an other dodgy minority.

Well it's all about the money isn't it sure he can be bought. He'll take a cycle track instead of the usual brown envelope.

Face facts, Ireland has moved on, not everyone can be bought, minorities have rights, rules aren't there to be broken.

I for one welcome our new high-vis wearing over lords. Give me that over that other fixture of Croke park. Bertie the people pleaser who terrible legacy we're still dealing with everyday.
    Ask the good people of Dun Laoghaire if they feel that Ireland has moved on for the better in their area and I'm sure you'll get your answer. All for his own personal agenda. How is that any different from "being bought"?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

You brought up 'rock concerts', I asked if it was specific to those or about crowding problems. The vast majority of posts against the gigs is about the latter.

bumper234 brought up the traffic and disruption so I replied to that about traffic and disruption.

Grand?
    But you brought up the fact that Croke Park was built in 1913, while for some reason ignoring that it hasn't been used for rock concerts until relatively recently. Why did you do that?
    And once more, are you seriously comparing 5 consecutive 80,000 sell out nightly rock concerts to sporadic Sunday afternoon GAA matches with regards to disruption to Croke Park area residents?

The matinee idea has been fully explained now finally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

cournioni wrote: »
    Ask the good people of Dun Laoghaire if they feel that Ireland has moved on for the better in their area and I'm sure you'll get your answer. All for his own personal agenda. How is that any different from "being bought"?

Firstly, Dun Laoghaire has nothing to do with this. Secondly, as has been repeatedly pointed out Keegan didn't actually make the decision about the concerts.

Or there couldn't. Or the Nazis could have a built a moon base in 1945.
    Could = not evidence. Ever.

If a member of the committee is reading this:
    Please ask him HOW the stage could not have been re-located...ask him to show the plan which MUST exist.
    Far as I know, it is sitting on a flat field.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    But you brought up the fact that Croke Park was built in 1913, while for some reason ignoring that it hasn't been used for rock concerts until relatively recently. Why did you do that?
    And once more, are you seriously comparing 5 consecutive 80,000 sell out nightly rock concerts to sporadic Sunday afternoon GAA matches with regards to disruption to Croke Park area residents?

I didn't ignore anything. No it hasn't been used for rock concerts, I don't think they had many in 1913. It was used for facilitating huge crowds. It still is, or was. That's what stadiums are for, people that live right beside one should know this.

This is the funniest thing I have heard yet! :D
    It'll be on the curriculum next beside crannógs and Brian Boru.

In other words Peter...'The law shouldn't apply to me'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

DCC did everything correctly but the decision was wrong. Super stuff there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement