Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Where was Mary Lou today - Gerry was at leaders questions

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

muddypaws wrote: »
    I honestly can't remember now, I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone. The committee are calling Aiken Peter, did they call Keegan Mr Keegan yesterday, or use his first name as well?

Far too pally in there! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I am at work today so cant see these hearings....but it sounds like a fckin holy show given what you lads/ladies are reporting.

Where is the boat? Emergency legislation?

Some of the most pro GB fans on here could have asked more probing and meaningful questions than this lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

So Owen Keegan, the pillar of society told the GAA that he would support 5 concerts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Calina wrote: »
    You are aware that the concerts which were licensed were cancelled by Garth Brooks and you're not interested in that contribution to the fiasco?

It's fascinating to watch this debate actually - in particularly how many people feel the country, and the city of Dublin especially, feel that they should just lie down in the face of an ultimatum.

Seriously, are you telling me that if your partner said to you "my way or no way buster", you'd just accept that?

Ultimata are the sign of an unbalanced relationship. Quite frankly the minute Garth came up with 5 concerts or none, the city should have just walked away.

My absolute favourite artist of all time is Jean-Michel Jarre and he had a concert licence refused at 12 days' notice in 1988 in London and that was following months of consultation. I had a ticket for that once in a life time concert and I'll be blunt, I doubt there is much that Garth might have planned that would have topped that concert. Jarre sat down and negotiated two concerts instead of one (because scale/safety was a key issue) and ran both of them two weeks' later. I went then instead.

In terms of getting something to happen for the fans, he put his heart and soul into reaching a compromise with the council concerned including rescheduling the concert to a few weeks later and agreeing to move to another site if necessary. He didn't say "You let me run my huge concert or else I'm not coming". The reschedule and rework, done in a matter of weeks, cost Jarre a fortune. But it hasn't stopped him going to back to London to tour in the meantime. I've seen him in Wembley and I know other people have seen him in the O2 there.

Tell me, can you honestly say that Garth Brooks was working in the best interests of his fans by comparison?
    Great post. The difference in an artist that cares about his fans and a jumped up arsehole. Did London recover from the embarressment of not being able to host a 2 day concert? :pac:
    nm wrote: »
    Aikens and the GAA so far coming out of this a lot cleaner than DCC and Keegan.

You all must be raging.

Probably the most pathetic post I've read. The only people that should be raging are the fans that are missing out and losing money because Garth Brooks decided he couldn't bother his arse coming over to play for 320,000 people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

So Owen Keegan, the pillar of society told the GAA that he would support 5 concerts.

When the content of the call was talked about in detail...was it really 'support'?
    Sounded to me like advice on how to submit the proposal. Not 'support' for the proposal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

The thing is, after watching today's/yesterdays meeting; it's doesn't matter what side of the argument you stand on, whether you want 0/3/4/5 concerts, or who you support/dislike on this issue.

The main issue that has emerged from all of this is that we remain poorly represented by those elected.
    It just turned into a moan-fest and a lack of 'the truth' emerging.

Can you imagine if this was a serious issue? I know that for some the concert was a huge deal, but I mean something that really affected your life; healthcare, mortgage, abuse, .........
    These are the type of meetings that they hold, and this is the manner in which they get discussed.

Is it any wonder we had the housing crisis, recession, austerity, ............
    It's actually depressing to see how they operate, and also the wastage that occurs (they are well paid, and will expense their day; all at the cost of the taxpayer).

Joe Public loses again.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

nm wrote: »
    You're quoting a post which turned out to by completely false.

1D did not have them 'sewn up', a further 3 were granted so 6 were allowed, which pretty much proves my point that Aiken would have predicted the licences granted despite the GAA and residents agreement of 3.
    I would not call the post "completely false". He was saying it would was unlikely to be croke park since it was very well known that there were only meant to be 3 in a year. It was very well known, whether it was legal is a bit of a moot point when you are talking about this being "normal" and that they did not expect complaints. Its this feigned head in the sand ignorance that this gig was organised just like any other, it most certainly was not.

My main point again is that what Aiken attempted to do was absolutely by no standard or normal. I have asked repeatedly in the 2 threads if there was ever an incident like this before, with no replies as I expected -as it would have been huge news at the time, if someone tried to do 7 nights in slane or something.

There was some comment by one of the parties a day or 2 ago saying he would have been lucky to get one date, as it would have equaled the previous max of 4, which had major complaints which were well known at the time.

In the thread that quote was from people were warning about the possibility of cancellation and they were all berated and told they were trolls stirring up **** and scaremongering. People saying it was 99.9% sure to go ahead. People were giving fair warnings about people making plans etc, genuine concern, but it all thrown back at them. And I saw no later apologies for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Huh? Did they "never refuse" a 5 night license before because nobody had ever been thick enough to ask for one by any chance?

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/gaa-keegan-told-croke-park-manager-council-would-support-five-brooks-gigs-636516.html

Seems there was no problem..........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

The thing is, after watching today's/yesterdays meeting; it's doesn't matter what side of the argument you stand on, whether you want 0/3/4/5 concerts, or who you support/dislike on this issue.

The main issue that has emerged from all of this is that we remain poorly represented by those elected.
    It just turned into a moan-fest and a lack of 'the truth' emerging.

Can you imagine if this was a serious issue? I know that for some the concert was a huge deal, but I mean something that really affected your life; healthcare, mortgage, abuse, .........
    These are the type of meetings that they hold, and this is the manner in which they get discussed.

Is it any wonder we had the housing crisis, recession, austerity, ............
    It's actually depressing to see how they operate, and also the wastage that occurs (they are well paid, and will expense their day; all at the cost of the taxpayer).

Joe Public loses again.

This is exactly what I was trying inarticulately to say earlier on. Brilliant post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Allegedly....... but denied

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

cournioni wrote: »
    Ask the good people of Dun Laoghaire if they feel that Ireland has moved on for the better in their area and I'm sure you'll get your answer. All for his own personal agenda. How is that any different from "being bought"?

Both cycling and Dun Laoghaire are totally irrelevant to this issue. You however for some reason have choosen to bring them up in order to shoot the messenger. Added to that you've claimed that Keegan could in some way be bought off.
    If the GAA built a cycle track around Croke Park, do you think there would be an issue with the Brooks concerts? No would be my guess, Keegan would be cycling around it day and night.
    This is complete nonsense, in fact the knives are now out for Keegan a known cyclist, so the Croke park fiasco is in fact a disaster for the cycling lobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

goz83 wrote: »

Allegedly........ big difference.... an CP always stick to their word .....

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Garth is gonna be out millions...but he chose NOT to play 3 lucrative gigs and chose not to take an offer seeing him play 6 gigs, as they say in China...tough titty! :rolleyes:

A good example of someone not being greedy and corrupt. Seems to me like he wanted to treat all his fans the same. It was stupid to try reschedule concerts to October. This suggestion simply fails to consider the many thousands of people who have had to pay for flights and accommodation, which will not be refundable in most cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

While cancelling all the gigs completely considers the many thousands of people who have had to pay for flights and accommodation, which will not be refundable in most cases, and who had tickets for the 3 gigs which were allowed to go ahead.

secman wrote: »
    Allegedly........ big difference.... an CP always stick to their word .....

Wasn't talking about CP ;)

Was talking about two individuals with responsibility. And the article I quoted would certainly seem to make sense. I don't imagine 5 licenses being sought if there were to be any belief that the licenses were not to be granted.

And DCC always stick to their word...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Seems to me like he wanted to treat all his fans the same.

Yes, he certainly did that and in doing so also disgraced all the musicians and artists I have dealt with over the years who moved heaven and earth to make sure their fans got to see them.
    There where many ways proposed for him to do that and he turned every way down. No compromise and NO effort and it seems, no criticism for him from TD's who represent all of us on this island. That's all of us...who in that committee today was representing ME and people like me who have tough questions to ask the GAA, Aiken and Brooks?
    The whole thing is a never ending joke and the farce is being played out among those at Oireachtas Committee on Transport and Communications today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

reprazant wrote: »
    While cancelling all the gigs completely considers the many thousands of people who have had to pay for flights and accommodation, which will not be refundable in most cases, and who had tickets for the 3 gigs which were allowed to go ahead.

Which is just why it was no win situation for him. Damned if he did, damned if he didn't.

At the end of the day.. he is not responsible for the nonsense system which enabled the mess to take place and so he shouldn't be expected to fix it.

reprazant wrote: »

Brooks described it like picking one child over another. Maybe you don't understand why he did it, but I see it as someone treating everyone equally. Cancel on one, cancel them all. If that makes the system change, then it's for the best. GB has not played to corruption. As I see it, his slate is clean and he has lost millions showing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

A good example of someone not being greedy and corrupt. Seems to me like he wanted to treat all his fans the same. It was stupid to try reschedule concerts to October. This suggestion simply fails to consider the many thousands of people who have had to pay for flights and accommodation, which will not be refundable in most cases.
    So he decided to put 400000 people in that situation rather than 160000 what a guy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Brooks described it like picking one child over another. Maybe you don't understand why he did it, but I see it as someone treating everyone equally. Cancel on one, cancel them all. If that makes the system change, then it's for the best. GB has not played to corruption. As I see it, his slate is clean and he has lost millions showing it.

But he certainly expected some.

Yet he wanted the planning laws changed for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Do you have children?

If so suppose a gun was out to their head and you were told either one would be killed or both - your choice - would you let both die?

I doubt it.

Yes, he certainly did that and in doing so also disgraced all the musicians and artists I have dealt with over the years who moved heaven and earth to make sure their fans got to see them.
    There where many ways proposed for him to do that and he turned every way down. No compromise and NO effort and it seems, no criticism for him from TD's who represent all of us on this island. That's all of us...who in that committee today was representing ME and people like me who have tough questions to ask the GAA, Aiken and Brooks?
    The whole thing is a never ending joke and the farce is being played out among those at Oireachtas Committee on Transport and Communications today.

4 gigs were being allowed in a U-Turn. Why not 5? Why should those ticket holders for Monday and Tuesday be forced into attending a Matinee, or a different date, months away, when many of them will have already spent hundreds, or thousands to get and stay here. It's not about the cost of a ticket. It's about the value in a fan. And I think most fans, although very sore about this, understand what Brooks has tried to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

in doing so also disgraced all the musicians and artists I have dealt with over the years who moved heaven and earth to make sure their fans got to see them.

He what?! How did he manage that then? Garth represents all musicians now?

4 gigs were being allowed in a U-Turn. Why not 5? Why should those ticket holders for Monday and Tuesday be forced into attending a Matinee, or a different date, months away, when many of them will have already spent hundreds, or thousands to get and stay here. It's not about the cost of a ticket. It's about the value in a fan. And I think most fans, although very sore about this, understand what Brooks has tried to do.

Are you Timmy Doolin? DCC never said that 4 gigs were to be allowed. The idea was put to them and they said they would consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,572 ✭✭✭✭kippy

That's an exceptionally blinkered view.
    Brooks gambled that the pressure he was exterting would lead to all five gigs going ahead. Looked like it might work for a while but thankfully it didnt.

Treating everyone equally (You mean his fans?)
    Well, compare ticket prices across the globe once his other gigs go on sale and tell me how equal all his fans are.

The ONLY way this will never happen, tha involves a system change, is if the gig must be licensed before tickets go on sale and from what I can see most promotors are against this.

Otherwise the only way this will not happen again is if the GAA abide by the planning set out for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Phoebas wrote: »
    In other words "Don't apply the rules to me. I'm special. Apply the rules to the next guy"

No, in other words:

"Don't apply the nonsense rules of buckled system to me. Allow the concerts, fix the system.. and then there won't be a possibility of this kind of fiasco happening to the next guy"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Any i have spoken to have been anywhere between angry to pissed off at him.....surprisingly none of the ones who had tickets fro Fri/Sat or Sun think he did the right thing and i spoke to 3 at lunch today who said they wouldn't go see him now if they got in for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Brooks described it like picking one child over another.
    That was cringeworthy stuff, he wasn't asked to pick anything, he was told which were to be cancelled, making out like it was sophies choice. Then he came out with some other sickeningly emotive stuff about his mother, you would think one of his publicists would have gagged him from such horrendous statements.

At least the truth came out in the end when they admitted any less than 5 would simply not be profitable enough for their liking.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement