Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

nm wrote: »
    Well if so, Keegan could have saved an awful lot of hassle if he'd just said that to Aikens, but he didn't and now here we are - judicial reviews, Obama, rising phoenix's etc.
    But Aiken admitted this morning that Keegan told him it was a big ask. Toitally glossed over this morning
    Now he is giving Aiken the answer before asking the question. Did Mr Keegan mean when he said it would be a big ask that 5 was fine but extra conditions

Aiken - Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

nm wrote: »
    now here we are - judicial reviews, Obama, rising phoenix's etc.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

I love this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Even if the Judicial Review is granted, they'll still have to wait for approval from Mr Brooks' team of advisors, which I understand includes his dead mother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

muddypaws wrote: »
    :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

I love this

I remember
    Dublin in a rainstorm

:pac:

Even if the Judicial Review is granted, they'll still have to wait for approval from Mr Brooks' team of advisors, which I understand includes his dead mother.
    They were supposed to start work in CP on the 12th. Aiken answered Eamon Coghlan's critical question by saying the containers are in Antwerp.

If they needed 13 days prior to the event, there is no chance they can do it all in 7, even if a cargo ship bring the containers from Antwerp.
    Especially as it was upscaled ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    They were supposed to start work in CP on the 12th. Aiken answered Eamon Coghlan's critical question by saying the containers are in Antwerp.

If they needed 13 days prior to the event, there is no chance they can do it all in 7, even if a cargo ship bring the containers from Antwerp.
    Especially as it was upscaled ;)

Unless they where lying to the planners...never! How dare you suggest such a thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭cagefactor

Independent.ie @Independent_ie · 4m
    BREAKING: Oireachtas Committee on Communications and Transport have requested that Owen Keegan appears in front of them tomorrow. More soon

Independent.ie @Independent_ie · 7m
    Breaking: Members of Oireachtas Communications and Transport Committee visited Lord Mayor Christy Burke in bid to broker Garth Brooks deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Mr Coughlan...... so mr builder, you built the 20 houses, sold them, were subsequently refused planning permission, please can I ask a ridiculous question , can we flick the switch to okay these sales.Mother of God.... a complete tool, another reason why there should not be political appointees to the Senate. We end up with morons in the upper house.Keep politicians as far away from planning as possible.

• Advertisement

As of 4.25pm, there has been no move on any Garth Brooks-related application to the High Court. Reports suggest a possible application for a judicial review look less likely now.

RTE news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

BREAKING: Irish politicians and civil servants to embarrass themselves further on the Garth Brooks concert issue. More embarrassment to follow.

cagefactor wrote: »
    BREAKING: Oireachtas Committee on Communications and Transport have requested that Owen Keegan appears in front of them tomorrow. More soon

Independent.ie @Independent_ie · 7m
    Breaking: Members of Oireachtas Communications and Transport Committee visited Lord Mayor Christy Burke in bid to broker Garth Brooks deal
    Sounds like the itinerary for an OAP American tour inDublin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

If ticketmaster come out and say they are delaying refunds due to this nonsense I am going to lose the will to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I cant take any more of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Get a good night's sleep Mr.Keegan, you're gonna need it..
    Oireachtas Committee call in City Manager as Garth Brooks promoters prepare for judicial review

Following a day of high drama, the Oireachtas Committee for Communications and Transport has asked Mr Keegan to attend a hearing tomorrow.

In an unprecedented turn of events, Mr Keegan is facing his second public grilling in 72 hours.

Independent.ie has learned that the decision to invite Mr Keegan stems from the evidence given at the committee by GAA executives today.

GAA director general Paraic Duffy claimed that at no stage in the negotiations did Mr Keegan indicate that the five concerts would not place.

"I must state that at no point did DCC even hint that a license would not be granted for all five concerts," he said.

He also detailed a phone conversation between Croke Park Stadium Director Peter McKenna and the city chief.

During the conversation, Mr Keegan is alleged to have asked Mr McKenna to "make the decision-making process as easy as possible for DCC". He is also alleged to have said that DCC was fully supportive of the five concert plan.

Meanwhile, independent.ie has learned that members of the committee this afternoon visited Lord Mayor Christy Burke in the Mansion House.

The visit was made after Peter Aiken of Aiken promotions said he was willing to instigate a judicial review of the decision to reject the five concerts.

Mr Burke has today been in contact with Mr Keegan as pressure mounts on him to allow the judicial review to proceed uncontested.

Representatives of Aiken Promotions have sought permission from the courts service for an application for the judicial review to be heard.

But sources close to the council insist that Mr Keegan is refusing to budge meaning hopes of the concerts being revived could be dashed yet again.

"If Owen Keegan allows this review to go ahead, the concerts could be back on track. If he refuses, nothings changed," said a well-placed source.

Speaking at the committee hearing earlier, the GAA's Paraic Duffy insisted that it was the Irish people who decided that there should have been five concerts and not two.

"What had simply been a night out, became an unmissable national celebration," he said.

He added that he is cocnerned Croke Park may now be seen as a "big organisation bullying the little man".

Meanwhile, Peter Aiken gave fresh insight into the last ditch negotiations aimed at salvaging the five gigs.

He said that he sought agreement from the council on the prospect of a judicial review of the decision. However, Mr Keegan said it was an option he was not willing to consider.

Mr Aiken also told the committee that the option proposed by Dublin City Council for Garth Brooks to perform two concerts in October was not feasible.

The music promoter said the dates would interfere with the singer's world tour.

"It was impossible for Garth to accept this proposal as he was committed to his world tour which is due to start in Chicago on September 4 and was already scheduled to perform elsewhere on the dates suggested," he said.

"Garth treats his fans equally and fairly and therefore, could not treat 160,000 people who had bought tickets for the 4th & 5th Shows differently to the fans who had bought for the first 3 nights so his position would have to be that it was 5 Shows or nothing," Mr Aiken added.

cagefactor wrote: »

I wonder will they ask Keegan just who exactly was applying pressure on him when he offered 4 concerts?
    I think the public deserve to know if any members of the government where involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Go Girth Brooks

I've got big goolies in low places

Happyman42 wrote: »
    I wonder will they ask Keegan just who exactly was applying pressure on him when he offered 4 concerts?
    I think the public deserve to know if any members of the government where involved.

I wonder will this delay the refunds??

Any word on the Judicial Review?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

Get a good night's sleep Mr.Keegan, you're gonna need it..

Yeah, Duffy's enormous book of evidence and authority on "the Irish people" will definitely be a worry. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

HigginsJ wrote: »
    I wonder will this delay the refunds??

Any word on the Judicial Review?

I have a suspicion it is designed to delay refunds...a kick to touch maybe by Aiken.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Ace2007 wrote: »
    I took the example to the extreme like he did when he said five or none - there was absolutely no flexibility with his approach

Btw you didn't answer my question - why only 5 gigs why not 6/7/8 until all fans that want tickets get them? Afterall all fans should be treated the same?
    Some are paying black market prices for tickets that doesn't seem fair to me

Well I can't answer the question, because I am not Garth Brooks. But, to give my opinion, I suppose he may have thought anymore than 5 shows would have been exhausting and a sixth show might not have been possible. It's certainly possible that he might have seen it as pushing his luck too.
    userod wrote: »
    make one of kids sit on the other childs lap

It takes a very special type of mind to think up something like that.
    Wow, what a fcuking great idea, Can't believe that nobody else in DCC, Aiken Promotions etc thought of it. Just have to double fill the stadium on two of the tree nights by having 80,000 people sit on the laps of the other 80,000. Genius really :cool::cool::cool:

You got there before me ;)

All we need know is one of Aer Lingus, Irish Rail, Bus Eireann or Dublin Bus to serve strike notice from July 24th and Leinster House will spontaneously combust.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Apparently the ship is docked in Belgium.

Could still happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭paddyirish23

Any update? Tv3 have nothing but aikens did say garth brooks would still go ahead with the concerts

Checked my emails and no update from ticketmaster. Refunds still going ahead tomorrow.

Independent.ie @Independent_ie 9m #Breaking: DCC welcome impartial, independent review of event licencing process pertaining to #GarthBrooks concerts

Independent.ie @Independent_ie 10m #GarthBrooks Conversation between Keegan and McKenna...in early February...no assurance given that all five concerts would be licenced - DCC

View details ·

Checked my emails and no update from ticketmaster. Refunds still going ahead tomorrow.

Fingers crossed, it was about this time Sunday they sent the mail to say delaying refunds

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Fingers crossed, it was about this time Sunday they sent the mail to say delaying refunds

Ah feck this, I had the forms ready and tickets in the envelope and ready for posting after the oireasteas meeting today and then they mention the judicial review. Ready for refund.

Cant take anymore.

• Advertisement

RTÉ News ‏@rtenews 11m
    Dublin City Council Chief Executive Owen Keegan has denied giving assurances to the GAA that the five Garth Brooks concerts could go ahead

Big bucket of popcorn needed for the committee tomorrow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement