Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Am I right in saying that McKenna was the Croke Park stadium director when the agreement in 2009 was signed and then appeared at a residents meeting in March this year and said no such agreement existed?

Then when the agreement was shown to him, he said something like 'that was then, this is now'.

I'm going from memory here but do think I remember reading this in the Indo in the early days of this.

Is there any further level of madness that this can reach?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    Big bucket of popcorn needed for the committee tomorrow.

Can this be watched again ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

chinguetti wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that McKenna was the Croke Park stadium director when the agreement in 2009 was signed and then appeared at a residents meeting in March this year and said no such agreement existed?

Then when the agreement was shown to him, he said something like 'that was then, this is now'.

I'm going from memory here but do think I remember reading this in the Indo in the early days of this.

Is there any further level of madness that this can reach?
    They could just decide to let it go ahead after all this bullshít. That'd be a bit mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Can this be watched again ?
    Yes - Oireachtas TV
    UPC usually carry it on channel 207

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Plz say this is a joke?!

No, it is not. Peter McKenna suggested it in response to Eamon Coughlan's
    last minute request that it might still go ahead. Dimmy Tooley then ran with
    it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭paddyirish23

brooke 2 wrote: »
    No, it is not. Peter McKenna suggested it in response to Eamon Coughlan's
    last minute request that it might still go ahead. Dimmy Tooley then ran with
    it.

How late can this actually carried out? Has to be within the next few hours or can they go up to 10 or 11pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,664 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It's on, it's off, it's on, it's off, it's on, it's off, it's on, it's off...........it's on, it's on!!!! but it might still be off....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

It's on, it's off, it's on, it's off, it's on, it's off, it's on, it's off...........it's on, it's on!!!! but it might still be off....

As I said earlier:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

chinguetti wrote: »

Then when the agreement was shown to him, he said something like 'that was then, this is now'.l
    Good recollection

That was the community meeting of early February. Strangely those minutes have never appeared on the CP website - all others back to 2010 are there.
    At a heated meeting between the GAA, Aiken Promotions and Croke Park residents, it emerged that a written agreement in 2009, where no more than three concerts a year were to be held at the national stadium, was to be ignored.

Peter McKenna, stadium director, told the crowded room that "times move on".

Eamon O'Brien, chairman of the Croke Park Streets Committee, said: "There was uproar when he said it."
    "We are looking at all our options, which include protests and an injunction," Mr Gates told the Irish Independent.

Link

Peter McKenna told the Oireachtas committe this morning that they met the residents in February and it was a positive meeting.
    Apparently they never had any indication there would be an issue with getting licences - just shows that Aiken and the GAA fully expected to get their way and don't give a toss about their neighbours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Those Oireachtas people today were so biased in their questioning of the GAA team & Aiken, they were so obviously only concerned in how they could get the 5 gigs back on, they were in no way neutral. Keep politicians away from planning, have we not learned from previous experience. Coughlan in particular was pathetic........ very apt at asking stupid questions about flicking switches and boats.

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I just emailed aircoach today to request a refund on my bus tickets...I swear to Christ, if these concerts go ahead...aaaargh!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,334 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

leahyl wrote: »
    I just emailed aircoach today to request a refund on my bus tickets...I swear to Christ, if these concerts go ahead...aaaargh!!!

Even if they were to go ahead, this is seriously treating both fans and residents like ****.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭paddyirish23

RTE saying dcc have said no to letting the review happen without objecting... Looks like it's all over

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Owen Keegan is not bending under the undue pressure being applied by the GAA, Aiken, Oireachas committee, he is sticking by his decision. There will be no judicial review IMO, hopefully there will be lessons learned by both sides, going forward, document and record every meeting, keep all matters in writing or in person by recordings, as porkies are definitely on the menu here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Happyman42 wrote: »
    I have a suspicion it is designed to delay refunds...a kick to touch maybe by Aiken.

The gigs are not happening when they are supposed to be. A judicial review wont change that fact. They are obliged to refund monies asap.

I dont know how many times I have booked and cancelled hotels. Booked another hotel today, just in case, off to cancel it again. I love booking.com with the free cancellation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Arcturus IV

I can't understand why they're still dragging this out. Just let it go by now, I'm pretty sure most people just want to move on from this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Only in Ireland would the permission of a council be needed in order for a judicial review of it's actions to be conducted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Reformed Character

secman wrote: »
    Those Oireachtas people today were so biased in their questioning of the GAA team & Aiken, they were so obviously only concerned in how they could get the 5 gigs back on, they were in no way neutral. Keep politicians away from planning, have we not learned from previous experience. Coughlan in particular was pathetic........ very apt at asking stupid questions about flicking switches and boats.

Secman

If proof were ever needed that were correct to reject the Referendum that would have given these goons more power to carry out enquiries, then this love in with the GAA, chaired (impartially..lol :rolleyes:) by the former Mayo GAA manager is it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Only in Ireland would the permission of a council be needed in order for a judicial review of it's actions to be conducted.

Nonsense, they want DCC to roll over and not contest it. If they have any balls go ahead with it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I'd say Aiken is pretty sure that if DCC contest any judicial review he hasn't a hope! More money down the drain.

Reeling In The Years 2014, in about 10 years time, should be embarising! :p

The whole thing is GUBU!!!

That doesn't make sense.

kippy wrote: »
    The gigs are not happening when they are supposed to be. A judicial review wont change that fact. They are obliged to refund monies asap.

I don't compute kippy...explain please?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

To be fair, I think there could be a judicial review one way or another, but it could only be completed within the tiny timeframe if the council agreed to concede before it happened, a bit like accepting a plea deal to speed up a criminal case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    Good recollection

That was the community meeting of early February. Strangely those minutes have never appeared on the CP website - all others back to 2010 are there.

Link

Peter McKenna told the Oireachtas committe this morning that they met the residents in February and it was a positive meeting.
    Apparently they never had any indication there would be an issue with getting licences - just shows that Aiken and the GAA fully expected to get their way and don't give a toss about their neighbours.

It strikes me that Peter McKenna and the truth might not be the best of friends! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

I've been looking forward to the concert since February but this has turned into such an embarrassing saga it's on, it's off, it's on again. I feel sorry for the people who have booked hotels, flights, train etc I'm lucky I'm in Dublin so won't be out of pocket but at this stage of the game all fun has been taken out of the concerts and now I just want my refund and to forget about this sorry mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Reformed Character

Another Gross misrepresentation. The councils permission is not required for a Judicial review, but all parties know that if the council defend their decision in court they will win.
    What the culchie and western brigade led by former Mayo GAA manager John O'Mahoney want is for the council not defend its decision so that by such an action the Judicial Review will lead to 5 concerts taking place.
    Owen Keegan has made it clear that DCC will vigorously defend its decision if such a legal action is instigated.

brooke 2 wrote: »
    It strikes me that Peter McKenna and the truth might not be the best of friends! :(

McKenna's account is actually quite fabulous.
    What he is effectively saying is that an event was more or less 'approved' before an application and a consultative process took place.

That is a big ask to believe Peter, no matter what you think of DCC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

They don't need the councils permission to hold a judicial review, what they would like is the council to not contest the review. Basically for them to say no contest and then the judge can overturn the decision and maybe the concerts could go ahead.

They want the council and Keegan to roll over and say they were wrong to only give 3 licences even though they were right. Keegan seems to be sticking to his guns and is refusing to roll over. There won't be a judicial review as long as he contests as they know the judge wouldn't go against Keegan's decision because he did nothing wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement