Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Another Gross misrepresentation. The councils permission is not required for a Judicial review, but all parties know that if the council defend their decision in court they will win.
    What the culchie and western brigade led by former Mayo GAA manager John O'Mahoney want is for the council not defend its decision so that by such an action the Judicial Review will lead to 5 concerts taking place.
    Owen Keegan has made it clear that DCC will vigorously defend its decision if such a legal action is instigated.
    It's only now I understand. They wanted DCC not to defend themselves during the review. I thought it was to not object to it being lodged.

I'm refused PP for my new house. I tell Bord Pleanala I am starting a judicial review and would they mind not going to court at all so I can get the PP.

This committee is now officially the Ballymagash council on Halls Pictorial Weekly

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Another Gross misrepresentation. The councils permission is not required for a Judicial review, but all parties know that if the council defend their decision in court they will win.
    What the culchie and western brigade led by former Mayo GAA manager John O'Mahoney want is for the council not defend its decision so that by such an action the Judicial Review will lead to 5 concerts taking place.
    Owen Keegan has made it clear that DCC will vigorously defend its decision if such a legal action is instigated.

To be fair, nobody knows which way the review would go if contested, the issue is that Brooks' people need to know by tonight or it'll be too late to do the logistics for the gig. A contested review would take longer than one evening and is therefore not an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

To be fair, nobody knows which way the review would go if contested, the issue is that Brooks' people need to know by tonight or it'll be too late to do the logistics for the gig. A contested review would take longer than one evening and is therefore not an option.

In other words..set the decision aside, we want these gigs to go ahead.
    Ballymagash couldn't come up with better!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I dont know how many times I have booked and cancelled hotels. Booked another hotel today, just in case, off to cancel it again. I love booking.com with the free cancellation.

No woman has had more hardluck than HardLuckWoman.

The men will be chasing after ye up and down the garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

To be fair, I think there could be a judicial review one way or another, but it could only be completed within the tiny timeframe if the council agreed to concede before it happened, a bit like accepting a plea deal to speed up a criminal case.

Aye, that was my point though.. I don't think the fact that a council conceding or defending their decision should be so much of a spoke in the wheel that it makes it impossible for the judicial review to be completed in a 'tiny time frame'.

Surely when speed is of the essence and a council's decisons has caused so much of fiasco, they should be able to strike out their decision in a short pace of time regradless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

Aye, that was my point though.. I don't think the fact that a council conceding or defending their decision should be so much of a spoke in the wheel that it makes it impossible for the judicial review to be completed in a 'tiny time frame'.

Surely when speed is of the essence and a council's decisons has caused so much of fiasco, they should be able to strike out their decision in a short pace of time regradless.

Shoot now, give them a fair trial later?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

ebbsy wrote: »
    No woman has had more hardluck than HardLuckWoman.

The men will be chasing after ye up and down the garden.

I think its Garth Brooks himself brings more hard luck to me. ... Its where my user name came from in the first place.

http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=JinITWtW06U

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Has any more light been shone on the nature of the connections between the GAA and head of planning for DCC, Jim Keogan?

And for what reason Keegan doesn't feel he was conflicted despite writing a letter to committee members stating that they may be conflicted should they have connections with the GAA?
    Mr Keegan also apologised to TDs and senators who are members of the committee after he wrote a letter last week suggesting that they could be conflicted if they have GAA connections.

It emerged at the meeting that Mr Keogan, the head of the planning department, has GAA connections.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/dcc-boss-owen-keegan-says-council-made-no-effort-to-verify-garth-brooks-objections-30433523.html

I don't think it's a clear cut as people are making out, that DCC would be victorious should there be a judicial review. Smells fishy as fcuk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Reformed Character

Has any more light been shone on the nature of the connections between the GAA and head of planning for DCC, Jim Keogan?

And for what reason Keegan doesn't feel he was conflicted despite writing a letter to committee members stating that they may be conflicted should they have connections with the GAA?

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/dcc-boss-owen-keegan-says-council-made-no-effort-to-verify-garth-brooks-objections-30433523.html

I don't think it's a clear cut as people are making out, that DCC would be victorious should there be a judicial review. Smells fishy as fcuk.

Has any more come to light about the leader of the Oireachtas , pro Croke / Aiken Kangaroo Court, John O'Mahonys connections to the GAA?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭homerjk

But surely if he was connected to the GAA by someone he works with he's more likely to vote for them than against them?

• Advertisement

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    Good recollection

That was the community meeting of early February. Strangely those minutes have never appeared on the CP website - all others back to 2010 are there.

Link

Peter McKenna told the Oireachtas committe this morning that they met the residents in February and it was a positive meeting.
    Apparently they never had any indication there would be an issue with getting licences - just shows that Aiken and the GAA fully expected to get their way and don't give a toss about their neighbours.

McKenna is priceless! He had "no inclination" there would be a problem?! Yet Croke park thought it was necessary to host an entire open day to explain what was going to happen at the concerts (after all the tickets had been sold) and at this process the residents protested outside for the duration of the open day?!

No inclination indeed.

A point of order on that Sindo article, Keegan didn't 'apologise' for the letter,
    he ';withdrew it, if it was causing offence'.
    Not the same thing at all.

Are Keoghan's GAA 'connections' the list of clubs he had been a member of? He simply named them when asked about his connections, the other two DCC officials had no connections.

God bless the Sindo again, making something entirely innocent sound sinister. E.G. He was 'loaned' a suit for the court case.

homerjk wrote: »
    But surely if he was connected to the GAA by someone he works with he's more likely to vote for them than against them?

Vote for who? Not everyone within GAA circles is pro-Croke Park.

It was people with ties to the GAA that convinced that man to bring a frivolous injunction against the concerts, and funded it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭h2005

It was people with ties to the GAA that convinced that man to bring a frivolous injunction against the concerts, and funded it.

He said it was. I wouldn't believe a word out of his mouth though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

You mean ride roughshod over the laws and do.whatever it takes to stroke brooksies ego.and let his fans have their fun? Never mind the law just get the concerts going no matter what seems to be the order of the day when it comes to.GB fans.

Has any more come to light about the leader of the Oireachtas , pro Croke / Aiken Kangaroo Court, John O'Mahonys connections to the GAA?

Is that the best you can come up with as a response to the question I asked?

Keogan made the decision to disallow the concerts, and he is very obviously conflicted. His connections to the GAA should be made known. It's bad enough that he owns a house in the area in which his son lives.

As I said, if there was a judicial review it's far from clear that DCC would be victorious in it.

Ah ok, I wasn't aware of anyone within the GAA who wasn't for the concerts. Especially after croke park said they were going to give some of the money from every ticket to the GAA clubs to try and sweeten them

Muise... wrote: »
    Shoot now, give them a fair trial later?

Christ, and I was accused of gross misrepresentation..

I didn't say, nor imply, anything whatsoever about Keegan needing to receive his comeuppance asap and so not sure why you using the word 'trial' with regards to what I said.

We are speaking in context of these concerts and a judicial review of matters should be able to take place in as short space of time as deemed necessary, if and when time is of the essence with regards to preventing further ramifications resulting from the serious inadequacy of a council official. His comeuppance / reprimanding can wait and so no need to 'shoot now' and give him a 'fair trial' later as the "shooting" can wait for later also.

Keogan made the decision to disallow the concerts, and he is very obviously conflicted. His connections to the GAA should be made known. It's bad enough that he owns a house in the area in which his son lives.

As I said, if there was a judicial review it's far from clear that DCC would be victorious in it.

HE DID MAKE THEM KNOWN. You just got owned by the Sindo.

homerjk wrote: »
    McKenna is priceless! He had "no inclination" there would be a problem?! Yet Croke park thought it was necessary to host an entire open day to explain what was going to happen at the concerts (after all the tickets had been sold) and at this process the residents protested outside for the duration of the open day?!

No inclination indeed.

He figured that once the licences went through it would be easy to crush any resistance from the residents in court. Another ego that took a slapping this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

If it's far from clear, why did Aiken seek assurance from DCC today that they wouldn't object, why not just have it and see how it goes?

Christ, and I was accused of gross misrepresentation..

I didn't say, nor imply, anything whatsoever about Keegan needing to receive his comeuppance asap and so not sure why you using the word 'trial' in the context of what I said.

We are speaking in context of these concerts and a judicial review of matters should be able to take place in as short space of time if and when time is of the essence with regards to preventing further ramifications resulting from the serious inadequacy of a council official. His comeuppance / reprimanding can wait and so no need to 'shoot now' and give him a 'fair trial' later as the "shooting" can wait for later also.

I hope you are not on the jury! You have your mind made up already. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Happyman42 wrote: »
    I don't compute kippy...explain please?

The gigs are not happening as advertised. Promoter should refund tickets without any fuss at this point.

I hope you are not on the jury! You have your mind made up already. :rolleyes:
    And you don't :pac:

And you don't :pac:

I'm not looking for a shotgun trial.

Neither am I and if you read my reply to that horseshite accusation you would realise that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Reformed Character

Its piss plain obvious to a blind man that DCC would win, which is why the GAA leader of the Oireachtas kangaroo court is so desperate to use any means possible to try to pressurise Owen Keegan into not opposing it.

Ace2007 wrote: »
    If it's far from clear, why did Aiken seek assurance from DCC today that they wouldn't object, why not just have it and see how it goes?

If they where standing on solid ground they would have been looking for a judicial review last week long before Brooks spoke with his deceased mother.
    they know the only chance they have is if it is uncontested.

Neither I am. If you read my reply to that horseshite accusation you would realise that.

No

You just want to rush changes to laws through and ride rough shod over processes so you can see a washed up singer.

• Advertisement

HE DID MAKE THEM KNOWN. You just got owned by the Sindo.

He should have made his conflicts of interest known to Keegan upon being given the task of deliberating on the matter.

If Keegan felt that committee members were conflicted if they had ties to the GAA, then obviously the same standard should/would have been applicable to Keogan at that time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement