Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Not even just that. How many tickets were sold to people outside of Ireland? 10% probably isn't a wild estimate.

That's 40,000 people who would have spent a few days here before/after the concert, and who will likely be put off from travelling to Ireland in future as a result of it all. The long term effect of this is just as bad as any short term effect.

I heard the number of outside ticket s to be 70'000 for the frist two canceled concerts.

I have been living under a rock what is this all about ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Could have done with some friends in high places

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

I'd say most of the Croke Park residents had tickets themselves.

What would make you think that? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Did anyone think it bad that RTE named the resident that filed the court injunction?

They can probably expect to receive a stetson-shaped poo through their letterbox.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Did anyone think it bad that RTE named the resident that filed the court injunction?

His name is up on the BBC website for 24 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Rasheed wrote: »
    Would this not be public anyway?

Maybe I haven't a clue about law. Just thought he might get hate mail ect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Rasheed wrote: »
    Would this not be public anyway?

It would be public information. RTE aren't releasing anything that people couldn't have found out themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

DCC now admit they secretly offered to licence 4 of the concerts but if Brooks didn't agree to that, they would only offer 3.

On what planet does that make sense. Either licence the four publicly or don't.

GAA statement:
    The GAA statement in full:

“The GAA and Croke Park Stadium note with much regret the confirmation that none of the Garth Brooks concerts scheduled for later this month will now take place.

“The GAA shares the intense disappointment of the 400,000 people who have purchased tickets.

“Croke Park Stadium has worked closely with Aiken Promotions in its efforts to stage a unique series of concerts which would have represented an exciting national event and a joyful summer celebration.

“From the outset Croke Park Stadium, as it does with the planning of all events staged in Croke Park, and with a view to avoiding surprise late difficulties, engaged fully with Dublin City Council officials and addressed comprehensively every issue presented during this planning process. At no stage were we given any indication that a licence was likely to be refused for any of the five concerts.

“The GAA has made clear its acceptance of mediator Kieran Mulvey’s report on the long-term management of concerts and special events in Croke Park.

“We wish to acknowledge Mr Mulvey’s exceptional efforts over the past few days to resolve the issues raised by the refusal of a licence for the fourth and fifth concerts.

“The GAA is very encouraged by the emergence in recent days of groups of residents in the Croke Park area who share our wish for a positive continuing engagement with the Croke Park Stadium; we look forward to working with them on the recommendations of the Mulvey Report.”

Note the part in bold which comepletly flies in the face of what the DCC have stated publicly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

It's publicly available information, but yeah, most people wouldn't know the name of the person unless they knew they could find the details for themselves, so it does seem bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Wouldn't be surprised if aiken went after the GAA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

I haven't a clue either s! I agree with you though, if his name wasn't going on public record, it's bad form to release it. They'll be a few messers looking for a scapegoat and that poor man might be their target.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I'm no Garth Brooks fan but I feel sorry for the fans, some of them I know are getting in on in years and might never see him in concert.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    It would be public information. RTE aren't releasing anything that people couldn't have found out themselves.

I'm not blaming RTE I was just surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Fair to say it's a fairly bad day in terms of what it would have done for the country in terms of economy, tourism and the general prestige and size of the event.

Honestly don't understand people trying to say that Brooks is greedy etc. He's doing no gigs, therefore he's not making a cent and most likely losing millions given the stage setup already paid for and shipped, lighting and sound staff employed and who knows what else.
    That's not really how these things work, especially with a massive (:pac:) artist like Brooks. At worst he'll come out having lost nothing, but it's very possible there's a payday due him from the contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This is the most stupid large news story I can remember.

Not around for the iodine tables then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

anncoates wrote: »

Plus the widespread pressure - tantamount to bullying - of a local authority by the media, business interests and entertainment figures has been quite shameful.

I couldn't believe the bias displayed by RTÉ News the day it was announced that 2 concerts had their licences rejected. All, "Isn't it terrible, Joe" and NO opposing viewpoint whatsoever. Shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Roll on the court cases.

Who will pay ticketmaster for the effort they put in to selling and refunding?
    Who will pay for the pre production work already done?
    Who will pay for Jim's plane ticket to america this morning?
    Who will pay for the warehouse full of pink plastic stetsons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Jester252 wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised if aiken went after the GAA

Aiken goes after Stock but before Waterman

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

The coverage this is getting on RTE news is disgraceful.

Edit - It's hilarious actually

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Not around for the iodine tables then?

That was some craic so it was.

But we didn't have the same culchie outrage at that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

DCC now admit they secretly offered to licence 4 of the concerts but if Brooks didn't agree to that, they would only offer 3.

On what planet does that make sense. Either licence the four publicly or don't.

GAA statement:

Note the part in bold which comepletly flies in the face of what the DCC have stated publicly.

Plus completely ignoring residents save the ones that agree with their intentions of treating the area as their own commercial fiefdom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

International reputation tarnished me bollix. Pure hyperbole.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭BiffoGooner

That's not really how these things work, especially with a massive (:pac:) artist like Brooks. At worst he'll come out having lost nothing, but it's very possible there's a payday due him from the contract.

Peter Aiken said himself Brooks will lose money in this, as will he. I believe I read a few days ago that there was no insurance in place in the event of the gigs being cancelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

What needs to happen now is a complete ban on the sale or pre-booking of tickets for concerts or events or festivals where full licenses and permissions required have not been granted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

I'm no Garth Brooks fan but I feel sorry for the fans, some of them I know are getting in on in years and might never see him in concert.

Oh stop me too. I think people are forgetting the everyday normal people that are going to be the most affected by this with holidays, child care etc organised around the concerts.

As I mentioned in the other thread, the local charity here bought two tickets to raffle off next week. They have been selling tickets for months. They weren't the only ones either, loads did it. Don't know what's going to happen there now.

It's sad, the whole set up is sad and nobody had gained out of it. Garth looks like a bit of a pleb now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

People are really over reacting to this. "Who will come to Ireland now???" yes, the entire tourism industry was kept afloat by Garth Brooks fans.
    You can do many things to the population of Ireland but you must never take away Garth Brooks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

International reputation tarnished me bollix. Pure hyperbole.

Out of the recent fiascos this country has endured I doubt we will be remembered for not letting the fat yank have a sing song.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Lord Mayor of Dublin on RTE news - just said "There's a sadness across the Nation"....... OMG he's extended that to a sadness across Europe and further afield.
    It's embarrassing for Ireland alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

anncoates wrote: »
    Plus completely ignoring residents save the ones that agree with their intentions of treating the area as their own commercial fiefdom.
    Yeah, the DCC should support the residents who didn't hold meetings, didn't complain and didnt write letters. In fact this is all the DCC's fault for ignoring the residents who didn't do a damn thing till the licenses were decided.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement