Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

bumper234 wrote: »
    The disruption would have been for 2 weeks. Easy to Pooh Bahh that when you don't have to put up with it though fight?

I live in Fairview, so yes I would have to put up with it. But I was aware of that when I moved here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    So you can't point to a single thing they did wrong, but you now spout they did nothing right.
    Not right = wrong the last time I checked, so same question again I'm afraid: what did they do wrong?

Nope, "doing nothing wrong" is the typical civil servant approach - i.e. I can't be blamed, no matter what the consequences. Doing something right is about solving the problem so that everyone (I mean everyone) comes out OK. Two very different views of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

First Up wrote: »
    Yep, that's the defence - we did nothing wrong. It's just that they didn't do anything right either. Keegan is paid to be more than a clerk with a rubber stamp. I hear talk of calls for him to go - good idea.

This is correct. If he was just paid to be a clerk with a rubber stamp, he'd have approved the concerts. What you're looking for is a clerk with a rubber stamp, actually.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I'd say most of 'us' won't care and be glad to be rid of the whole thing.

Which proves a point made earlier in this thread that this isn't about upholding planning laws and bureaucracy. It's simple music snobbery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

bumper234 wrote: »
    Yeah but that doesn't fit in with Wishas anti DCC tirade so best to just claim that DCC/Keegan offered these matinee's and had agreed to them instead of posting the truth that Aiken had proposed them as a last ditch effort to save his millions.
    Happyman42 wrote: »
    At this stage, given what has been discussed on this thread and your involvement in it, that ^ has to be treated as an out and out lie.

He did not propose that (Aiken did) and he did not approve it or green light it.
    He said, he would consider it as part of an updated Event Management Plan with the same rigour as the rest of the application was.

No, the above is bullshit.

Considering it, is green lighting it when you are dealing with the DCC as 99% of the time they will not consider putting anything to the planners which the planners would not be happy with. They deal so closely with one another, day in day out, that they are almost one in the same. You are being extremely disingenuous when you suggest otherwise. If the DCC were not happy for the matinees to go ahead, then they would NOT issue the statement they did after having the discussions with Aiken. They were clearly quite happy for the planners to give the go ahead and that is DCC green lighting it and therefore, Owen Keegan, in just the same way as offering to put the option of four concerts to the planners was ALSO Keegan green lighting them. To suggest it is not, is suggesting that after the planners approved the matinees or the four gig option, that Keegan would then say he was not granting the licences or approving the updated event management plan anyway. Obviously that wouldn't happen.
    Following a meeting this morning between Peter Aiken of Aiken Promotions and Owen Keegan, Chief Executive of Dublin City Council, the City Council has agreed to a proposal from Aiken Promotions designed to break the impasse that has arisen. Under the proposal the City Council will consider an updated Event Management Plan, to be submitted in accordance with the Licence, whereby the three concerts will proceed but the Saturday and Sunday concerts will start earlier to facilitate separate matinee audiences on these two days. This will allow everybody who bought a ticket to see Garth Brooks

Jamsiek wrote: »
    I agree it's bizarre, you might find this interesting.
    http://www.news.msn.ie/garth-brooks-saga-international-coverage-1566870-Jul2014/

You might the following interesting:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jesselawrence/2014/07/16/garth-brooks-tickets-already-skyrocketing-for-first-show-on-secondary-market/

• Advertisement

Nope, "doing nothing wrong" is the typical civil servant approach - i.e. I can't be blamed, no matter what the consequences. Doing something right is about solving the problem so that everyone (I mean everyone) comes out OK. Two very different views of the world.

There is no way everyone could come out of this right okay if it included Garth Brooks playing five concerts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

No, still no sense here.
    At any stage will you illustrate a single thing DCC did incorrectly to support your out of thin air claim that they are just covering their arses? If a heart surgeon saves a newborn's life, "I did nothing wrong" is equally accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

If a heart surgeon saves a newborn's life, "I did nothing wrong" is equally accurate.

This statement makes sense if "If a heart surgeon loses a newborn's life, "I did nothing wrong"

Karsini wrote: »
    Which proves a point made earlier in this thread that this isn't about upholding planning laws and bureaucracy. It's simple music snobbery.
    TBH, I didn't even know he was playing until I heard about Aiken and Brook's laughable attempts at forcing DCC's hand.

I actually disagree. I mean, I don't see that the One Direction concerts caused anything like the same ire. I don't think these would have either if they had been limited to three nights.

You're suggesting Brooks is less credible as a music artist than One Direction. I'd hesitate to stand over that statement.

• Advertisement

Red Nissan wrote: »
    This statement makes sense if "If a heart surgeon loses a newborn's life, "I did nothing wrong"
    It makes the same amount of sense either way. If the DCC or a heart surgeon does everything properly and concert gets cancelled or the baby dies, "did nothing wrong" is entirely accurate.
    So every time something goes wrong, somebody did something wrong? Work in injury claims by any chance?

Calina wrote: »
    You're suggesting Brooks is less credible as a music artist than One Direction. I'd hesitate to stand over that statement.
    Not that I like either, but I'd much rather see Brooks than 1D if you want a 100% honest opinion. It's just that 1D didn't cause any of this shoite so for this once they are not the most annoying thing on earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Anyway, as the refunds were supposed to have started already, Red FM in Cork are organising a Garth Brooks tribute night or evening in a location yet to be decided.

But before ye all come a flockin, it's for ONE night and ONE night only. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I live in Fairview, so yes I would have to put up with it. But I was aware of that when I moved here.

If you live in Fairview then you wouldn't really have to put up with anything. Close your windows when he's on stage. Are you sure you don't mean Ballybough when you say Fairview?

Effects wrote: »
    If you live in Fairview then you wouldn't really have to put up with anything. Close your windows when he's on stage. Are you sure you don't mean Ballybough when you say Fairview?

I think the impacts are different and non-linear. I live 4km from CP and can tolerate the noise and am not impacted by walking crowds. However, my ability to get around tends to be somewhat messed up by the traffic loads coming in from the M1 and M50. I left the city the weekend of the One Direction concert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

LOLOL. Entertaining.
    So instead of requesting objections and feedback from local residents and consulting with traffic management and emergency services, you think they should give a snap decision on the spot with every phone call?

Is it OK if I put an extension on me house? No, I won't fill in any crappy forms. YES or NO. Tell me NOW.

Another typically disjointed and OTT response from you with little or nothing to do with the post you're quoting.
    If you can't get your head around it, I'm not going to bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

And yet, after all this rant, you have made no case whatsoever that DCC did anything wrong when they considered Aiken's license application.
    Other than not making the decision you wanted.

I think most of the people who even disagree with me on this thread, would say that the above statement is untrue.

Do I really have to again list everything which I feel the DCC did wrong and so wrong that I have labelled it incompetent?

Did you listen to Páraic Duffy yesterday? Did you listen to Peter Aiken yesterday?

Are all these people lying about Owen Keegan?

Can you explain why he offered to put four concerts to the planners, if he himself would not be willing to green light them?

nm wrote: »
    Another typically disjointed and OTT response from you with little or nothing to do with the post you're quoting.
    If you can't get your head around it, I'm not going to bother.
    Translation: I have no argument to present.

It makes the same amount of sense either way. If the DCC or a heart surgeon does everything properly and concert gets cancelled or the baby dies, "did nothing wrong" is entirely accurate.
    So every time something goes wrong, somebody did something wrong? Work in injury claims by any chance?

What kind of ****e are you talking?

The subject to licence pre-selling of tickets process than the country has been using for 30 years or so caused a problem whereby 400,000 tickets had been sold and 300 residents objected to the concerts.
    This created a problem. Refusing two of the licences did not solve it as we have seen for the last two weeks.

Keegan made no attempt to solve it or work with the promoter or the venue owner as we found out yesterday. "Did nothing wrong" is not going to cut it, he was as useless as anyone in this thing (which is many).

Effects wrote: »

I've always lived close to CP. I used to find parking a problem before pay and display came along. Even then, a number or residents would put bins out to save their spaces which I would just move. These days I rarely leave town when there's concerts or big matches on. I'm just more aware of it so plan my driving routes and timings around it.

• Advertisement

Do I really have to again list everything which I feel the DCC did wrong and so wrong that I have labelled it incompetent?

Did you listen to Páraic Duffy yesterday? Did you listen to Peter Aiken yesterday?

Are all these people lying about Owen Keegan?

Can you explain why he offered to put four concerts to the planners, if he himself would not be willing to green light them?
    More laughable evidence free stuff.
    So the people who stood to make millions out of this are the people you just happen to believe entirely on every statement they make? Why would Aiken (and you) take "I'll put it to the planners" as a guarantee of 4 concerts? It's not even a verbal agreement to OK anything. It's an agreement to CONSIDER it.

The subject to licence pre-selling of tickets process than the country has been using for 30 years or so caused a problem whereby 400,000 tickets had been sold and 300 residents objected to the concerts.
    This created a problem. Refusing two of the licences did not solve it as we have seen for the last two weeks.

Keegan made no attempt to solve it or work with the promoter or the venue owner as we found out yesterday. "Did nothing wrong" is not going to cut it, he was as useless as anyone in this thing (which is many).
    He offered exactly what he should have: 3 concerts which appears to be the going rate according to DCC after consultation with emergency and traffic services and local residents.
    Other than "give lovely Garth everything he asks for" what compromise are you suggesting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Nope, "doing nothing wrong" is the typical civil servant approach - i.e. I can't be blamed, no matter what the consequences. Doing something right is about solving the problem so that everyone (I mean everyone) GETS TO SEE GARTHY PLAY. Two very different views of the world.

FYP!

BORING!

Gareth is the one who let everyone down. He said no to five concerts. Stop trying to blame everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

Why is it up to Keegan to make "an attempt to solve it or work with the promoter or the venue"? If he was to hold their hand and guide them in writing applications that would be approved, we would a) have a corrupt system and b) have a completely dysfunctional capital city where the manager is actually a mediator between businesses.

As has been pointed out countless times at this stage so I can only conclude you are deliberately ignoring, no objections at all are required for DCC to refuse a license. How did you get to 300 residents as your number anyway?
    Refusing two of the licences did not solve it as we have seen for the last two weeks.
    Thanks to Garth Brooks and Garth Brooks alone. Or has he now got popelike infallibility in all this?

He offered exactly what he should have: 3 concerts which appears to be the going rate according to DCC after consultation with emergency and traffic services and local residents.
    Other than "give lovely Garth everything he asks for" what compromise are you suggesting?

I'm suggesting he engage with the promoter and venue to attempt come up with a workable solution for all involved before coming to a decision that is irreversible and has no appeals process, thereby plunging all concerned into the chaos that we've just seen.

I'm suggesting he engage with the promoter and venue to attempt come up with a workable solution for all involved before coming to a decision that is irreversible and has no appeals process, thereby plunging all concerned into the chaos that we've just seen.
    That was done. The answer was 3 concerts. Did you miss that bit?

Such as?

The artist is throwing a strop and refusing to engage as far as I can see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

So Croke park/Aiken et al should be able to consistently hound him until they get their own way you mean?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement