Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Happyman42 wrote: »
    There is no onus on DCC to review a planning decision once it is made, nor can they do it legally.

I never said there was and you can embolden as many words as you like but it won't mean that you understand what the hell you are talking about.

The DCC even made it clear after Brooks refused the matinee offer, that it was still on the table a few days later. You're acting as if Aiken put an idea to them and they just released their statement regarding it for the craic. They were fine with the matinees going ahead and you know it. Speaks volumes that you won't just accept that and get on with the discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Is it true that Keegan has refused to reappear before the committee today and has said he will come in tomorrow instead?

I missed that if already posted.

As is his right.

bumper234 wrote: »
    As is his right.

Did I say it wasn't his right? No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Effects wrote: »
    That makes no difference. Gareth cancelled all the dates because he cares about his ego and not his fans.

I've never said GB was blameless. Cancelling the other 3 was outrageous. But even Garth would not have had his strop if not for the last 2 being refused licences so saying he is solely responsible for the cancellation of all concerts as has been claimed by a poster here is a false statement.

About these two, see previous 5 - 10 posts, and even with 3 granted, that let down 160,000 people and 20~mil EUR loss so pretty far from ideal in most peoples book.

I never said there was and you can embolden as many words as you like but it won't mean that you understand what the hell you are talking about.

The DCC even made it clear after Brooks refused the matinee offer, that it was still on the table a few days later. You're acting as if Aiken put an idea to them and they just released their statement regarding it for the craic. They were fine with the matinees going ahead and you know it. Speaks volumes that you won't just accept that and get on with the discussion.

Link please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Maybe someone can explain this to me, but they turned down 2 concerts, well Mr keegan did.
    Garth brooks says no to 3. it's all 5 or none.
    DCC **** themselves and voted to put all 5 concerts on but have no power to do so as Mr Keegan's decision cannot be appealed by law.
    They agree a matinee show for the Sat and Sun which is turned down by brooks.
    They then Agree to go co-promoters and want to put the 2 cancelled concerts on the end of Oct - Brooks says no as he has world tour on.
    Keegan, for a man who said that his original decision was the right one has been changing his mind a lot by giving them the extra 2 concerts choices, ( and no just because they are on a different date doesn't mean he hasn't, he has given in to putting them on!)
    So last chance was yesterday and the judicial review in which Keegan, who obviously has his job on the line in all of this, decides to go back to the 3 or none deal by saying he would contest it, but not only him. the DCC would contest it - Yes the crowd that voted for all 5 to go ahead when they knew the law couldn't be changed!!
    I'd feel sorry for Dubliners but after being on this thread with some of them, ye really deserve each other :)
    Where are you getting this from - seriously, have you been following the story at all.
    They voted for 5 concerts :rolleyes:
    They agree matinee shows :rolleyes:
    Neither of them hapened, the first one is pure fiction and the second was proposed by Aiken before he even spoke to Brooks.

They did discuss about October shows but yet again it was 5 consecutive nights or nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

nm wrote: »
    I've never said GB was blameless. Cancelling the other 3 was outrageous. But even Garth would not have had his strop if not for the last 2 being refused licences so saying he is solely responsible for the cancellation of all concerts as has been claimed by a poster here is a false statement.

About these two, see previous 5 - 10 posts, and even with 3 granted, that let down 160,000 people and 20~mil EUR loss so pretty far from ideal in most peoples book.

Paint it any way you like, it's Gareth Brooks fault that he isn't playing. No one else has any blame whatsoever for him not playing three gigs or five gigs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Is it true that Keegan has refused to reappear before the committee today and has said he will come in tomorrow instead?

I missed that if already posted.

Can anyone who bought a ticket confirm if the refunds have gone ahead today as planned?

That's all well and good but I was referring to the 2 gigs originally refused licences.

Get over it. Move on. Everyone else agreed to compromise except Gareth Brooks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

From your link
    Under the proposal the City Council will consider an updated Event Management Plan, to be submitted in accordance with the Licence, whereby the three concerts will proceed but the Saturday and Sunday concerts will start earlier to facilitate separate matinee audiences on these two days.
    That is not agreeing to matinees

Can anyone who bought a ticket confirm if the refunds have gone ahead today as planned?

I've gotten refunds for 10 tickets I bought with one card but still waiting for 8 I bought with a different card. I think it's down to the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Formosa

I'd imagine we won't know until the funds appear in our accounts. Given that TM said it will take 7 to 10 days for this (are they transferring from a bank account in Mars or what?) we might not know until next week.

Get over it. Move on. Everyone else agreed to compromise except Gareth Brooks.

DCC didn't compromise either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I've gotten refunds for 10 tickets I bought with one card but still waiting for 8 I bought with a different card. I think it's down to the bank.

Thank the Lord, refunds are happening, its finally over.

Can you link to a real newspaper story about this please?

The first line of that report
    DUBLIN CITY COUNCIL has offered a new resolution to the ongoing Garth Brooks concert issue.

We know that to be untrue so why would any of the rest of it be true?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

TM waiting for Aiken to give the go ahead, TM were ready to start this morning but Aiken requested to stall yet again, stalling the inevitable.

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    From your link

That is not agreeing to matinees

Yes it is. They would not make their suggestion to put the proposal to the planners and release a statement to that effect, unless they were willing to allow it if granted. It is pure semantics to suggest otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭Daith

They allowed 3 out of 5 when they could have not allowed any

They start today, automatically if you paid by card. Then it takes 7-10 days to reach your account. So I guess you wont know until next week.

Hoping a man loses his job.....for doing his job

Classy :rolleyes:

From the link
    An Oireachtas source said Mr Keegan's refusal to answer questions this morning has "made some members furious beyond belief."

I can guess who they are.
    The fact that he is coming in on Friday is obviously not a "refusal to answer questions"

So before they even let him respond to the GAA/Aiken allegations this Oireachtas committee have made their mind up that it is totally Owen Keegan's fault.

This is going to court

The did, They offered 3 concerts....they didn't have to give those.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

€100 says that any of us who watched the committee meeting on Tuesday can tell who's behind this motion.

They did, I think you're just not on top of the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I don't think I would agree with that. Licences for 5 were sought. Licences for three were granted. Licences for none were always a possibility.

It seems to me that the only compromises that Garth Brooks and some of his fans are interested in are compromises that result in 5 concerts being played. I don't really see how that is a compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

TM waiting for Aiken to give the go ahead, TM were ready to start this morning but Aiken requested to stall yet again, stalling the inevitable.

• Advertisement

bumper234 wrote: »
    The first line of that report

We know that to be untrue so why would any of the rest of it be true?

Matinees the solution to Garth Brooks impasse, says council

Guess they are all reading it wrong, eh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement