Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

nc6000 wrote: »
    Is there anything to stop them refunding everyone who bought tickets for the 5 shows and then putting the 3 they have permission for on sale at 09.00 on Monday?
    It would be worth it for the ensuing hilarity if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

ThisRegard wrote: »
    His job is not on the line, it's a speculative piece. And if there was any truth to it, our democracy is a disgrace.
    not at all, good riddens, his past decisians before this are reason to get rid

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

no doesn't seem to be availible if it even exists at all, even if it did exist no doubt its set up in such a way that more then 3 concerts could happen

But not 5 ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Exposure of the truth and public sector incompetance, a novel concept in Ireland I know.
    Stockholm syndrome, eh. If the planning process can't be corrupted by financial pressure then it must be incompetence! Couldn't make it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Bogdanistan

ThisRegard wrote: »
    You don't see the fact that what the city manager did is somewhat contradictory to your cronyism points ?

What's cronyism is how some member of the oireachtas committee are behaving.

Exposing the incompetance of DCC = cronieism.

Hmmm, that's a novel new spin, I'll grant you that.

• Advertisement

Exposure of the truth and public sector incompetance, a novel concept in Ireland I know.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭secman

Is there anything to stop them refunding everyone who bought tickets for the 5 shows and then putting the 3 they have permission for on sale at 09.00 on Monday?

Yes....Garth Brooks

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bean14

I'd a ticket for the Saturday night. My sister lives near croke park. Most of her neighbours included her wanted the 5 nights to go ahead. Big loss for the countrys finances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

It was July 2nd. Any pressure that was coming his way, was more than likely just telling him to get his thumb out.

Again, believing what you want to believe.
    And as for buying his 'mistake' nonsense. Pull the other one.

The guy is like most muppets with decision making positions in the council: inept.

A quick drive around Dublin and you can see how decisions on road markings alone should have resulted in sackings. Did this fool have signs he approved get ripped down at the cost of the tax payer. I'm just surprised ac calamity like this didn't occur before with idiots like this at the helm. He reminds of this plonker.

So somebody admits he made a mistake and he is a plonker.
    I guess we should have just given you the job instead...you seem to know better than anyone else how to do it. Despite your obvious comprehension difficulties.
    Send in your application and we will 'consider it'.

bean14 wrote: »
    I'd a ticket for the Saturday night. My sister lives near croke park. Most of her neighbours included her wanted the 5 nights to go ahead. Big loss for the countrys finances

Sussshhhhh, you're not supposed to say that.

• Advertisement

One direction already played three concerts there in May

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Do you think that maybe Aiken and GAA decided to salvage something out of this, i.e. lets kick up as big a fuss about this, kick to touch, keep the pressure on (that we know is useless) in the hope that very fuss will ensure that no planner will (or will be reluctant to) will refuse anything we propose again?
    That's the most likely reason for him saying it I think.

That, or he was hoping for a successful judicial review and then a successful re-application under emergency legislation to fast-track the licensing situation.

Threatening DCC with Judicial Review alone was pointless, as DCC know the question would be moot because of the 10-week licence rule. And the High Court almost never entertains moot Judicial Review applications, so it would be dismissed. DCC would have known that, and Aiken would have known that, so there had to be some other motivation for Aiken's comments, as you say.

So he was deliberately kicking up a fuss or he was deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Are all such concerts not subject to licience in Ireland ?

Yes, but 3 concerts a year in CP are pre-licensed.
    bumper234 wrote: »
    Moving on to personal attacks now that it's definitely all over.

The GB fans are showing their true colours now.

I think you mean the mask is slipping mwhahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

But a licence has been approved for three further concerts in addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

But didn't DCC grant a license for 3 GB concerts? Refund everyone and start again with just the 3. :)

muddypaws wrote: »
    Yes, but 3 concerts a year in CP are pre-licensed.

Do you mean an automatic grant or exempt from the planning process ?

lazygal wrote: »
    But a licence has been approved for three further concerts in addition.

But only 3 per year are permitted, according to some residents

The GAA are in shock, miffed to the brim, can't believe someone said NO to the mighty GAA. Hopefully they have learned a harsh lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭Daith

No, 3 allowed, pre-approved whatever and Croke Park can apply for more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Calina wrote: »
    That sounds like a bias to me.

Well, I live here. Can't help but notice what a hames the numpties in the council have made of our city.

I do however have an exceptional ability to set aside previous grievances and judge every situation on it's merits and so strenuously refute any suggestion that I am capable of ever being biased when judging another man's actions and so I therefore ask you to withdraw that remark.

• Advertisement

secman wrote: »
    The GAA are in shock, miffed to the brim, can't believe someone said NO to the mighty GAA. Hopefully they have learned a harsh lesson.

So have the businesses of Dublin, never trust the word of DCC

Do you mean an automatic grant or exempt from the planning process ?

An automatic grant I guess, but event management plans etc would still have to be submitted.

But didn't DCC grant a license for 3 GB concerts? Refund everyone and start again with just the 3. :)

Garth said all five or none so none it is.

An automatic grant I guess, but event management plans etc would still have to be submitted.

An automatic grant . . I see

It could probably be refused if the planning application wasn't up to snuff.

It does mean that residents couldn't object to the event on the basis that it was disruptive etc because they agreed to have 3.

3 Concerts/non sport events are almost guaranteed once all criteria in place, after that all other proposed concerts/events are subject to planning permission. The residents were led to believe that the GAA would limit the events to the initial 3 permitted.

Secman

They were actually your words :D

When the stadium got planning permission to redevelop, part of that permission was for 3 non sporting events a year.

bumper234 wrote: »
    Garth said all five or none so none it is.

So question for the planning experts here.

If I want to run say something like Electric Picnic, an event over three nights, do I submit one application per night and one application that covers the three nights?

They were actually your words :D

Well what is then, either they are subject to licience or they're not ?

• Advertisement

that wasn't what you asked.

Were the 3 one directon concerts already held this year at Croke Park, subject to licience or not ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement